Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
CW sidesweeper, new project Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:49 pm by SangueG

» CW sidesweeper, new project
CW sidesweeper, new project Icon_minitimeYesterday at 4:13 pm by karelgol

» Swedish Repeater on Ch20 Mid
CW sidesweeper, new project Icon_minitimeYesterday at 1:29 pm by Vasilis

» CRT SS 9900 V4
CW sidesweeper, new project Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:57 am by babis3g

» Moved from Introductions
CW sidesweeper, new project Icon_minitimeTue Apr 30, 2024 11:43 pm by babis3g

» Mr Macmillan (Information requested)
CW sidesweeper, new project Icon_minitimeTue Apr 30, 2024 11:07 pm by John123

» Southern Area and South Coast SSB Net
CW sidesweeper, new project Icon_minitimeTue Apr 30, 2024 8:52 pm by Razz229

» New member (Issued)
CW sidesweeper, new project Icon_minitimeTue Apr 30, 2024 7:43 pm by GaryWilson

» 27.555 usb from a longwire
CW sidesweeper, new project Icon_minitimeTue Apr 30, 2024 1:45 pm by stephen Gunrunner

Keywords
frequency anytone 2022 6900 yaesu Sirio supply ss9900 Baofeng chart 2023 sign meter antenna power display Mckinley president callsign software 9900 Mobile call lincoln list ALINCO
QRZ Database

CW sidesweeper, new project

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
karelgol
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
karelgol

Call Sign : 19-CT-024 / PD0GOL
Times Thanked : 6
QTH or Location : Steenwijk, JO32bs
Equipment Used : Dynascan AT5555,Yaesu FT-897, W3EDP junior, MFJ-925

CW sidesweeper, new project Empty
PostSubject: CW sidesweeper, new project   CW sidesweeper, new project Icon_minitimeThu Apr 11, 2024 6:15 pm

I hear a lot more CW on the other bands then earlier on the CB. I was and am again learning CW on LCWO.net. My next project will be a sidesweeper CW key. Allready have a 3D printed straight key, but don't have access to a 3D printer anymore. So i think of this design, a hardwood plate with brass and copper parts.
CW sidesweeper, new project Scherm10

The blade of the key will be a hacksaw blade, but i didn't like the steel /copper/brass combination.
This led me to electrolytical copper plating the blade. Strange where this hobby can lead you.CW sidesweeper, new project 20240411

Karel PD0GOL/19CT024

weealan likes this post

Back to top Go down
weealan
weealan

Call Sign : 108-CT-355
Times Thanked : 5
QTH or Location : Bathgate ,,locator IO85EV
Equipment Used : Yaesu FTDX 3000

PostSubject: Re: CW sidesweeper, new project   CW sidesweeper, new project Icon_minitimeThu Apr 11, 2024 7:03 pm

Looking forward to seeing your progress through this project.
I always wanted to learn cw but never got around to it, except for enough to
pass the amateur exam/test years ago.

keep the updates coming please
Alan
Back to top Go down
karelgol
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
karelgol

PostSubject: Re: CW sidesweeper, new project   CW sidesweeper, new project Icon_minitimeThu Apr 11, 2024 9:49 pm

It seems the copper plating doesn't work. I get a copper layer with can easily be wiped of and is very flakey. Think i did everything okay, degreasing, acidic bath, copper sulfate, 3V DC...... Suppose it's time for plan B. I have`some experience in restoring older airguns, so blackening is an option and i have some copper rivets. So drilling a hole in the sawblade is the next challenge and getting a nice round finish on both ends of the rivet the next.

edit: so it would look like this
CW sidesweeper, new project Scherm11

weealan likes this post

Back to top Go down
43CT016
Major contributor
Major contributor
43CT016

Call Sign : 43-CT-016
Times Thanked : 22
QTH or Location : Perth
Equipment Used : iCom IC-7610/IC-9700/IC-705

PostSubject: Re: CW sidesweeper, new project   CW sidesweeper, new project Icon_minitimeFri Apr 12, 2024 7:37 am

This CW lark is driving me nuts at the moment...seems to be 2 steps forward and 3 back some days!  That's with an iambic paddle - no need to torture myself with a straight key or sideswiper, but good luck with the project.  Look forward to seeing it finished!
Back to top Go down
karelgol
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
karelgol

PostSubject: Re: CW sidesweeper, new project   CW sidesweeper, new project Icon_minitimeSun Apr 14, 2024 10:44 pm

Updates will be a little postponed. I've become a grandfather for the second time, but my new granddaughter has some medical trouble. She's now at the university hospital at Groningen, where my son and DIL also sleep. Me and my wife are currently taking care of our grandson.
Back to top Go down
stephen Gunrunner
Major contributor
Major contributor
stephen Gunrunner

Call Sign : 26CT526/MR021/M6XXX.
Times Thanked : 10
QTH or Location : wooler north northumberland or some were near it
Equipment Used : mobile 4000hp base A99 radio base magnum257hp mobile magnum 257 standed power

PostSubject: Re: CW sidesweeper, new project   CW sidesweeper, new project Icon_minitimeFri Apr 19, 2024 11:01 am

i learned cw when i was a scout and got a badge, three years ago tried again i have a very bad shake and could not do it so thats the end of that idea it lets you know how your bodies change but i like a listen now
Back to top Go down
karelgol
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
karelgol

PostSubject: Re: CW sidesweeper, new project   CW sidesweeper, new project Icon_minitimeYesterday at 4:13 pm

Grandaughter is fine and grandson returned to his father and mother and newborn sister. As i wasn't at work, i didn't have the tools to make the sidesweeper as i designed. This is the result:
CW sidesweeper, new project 20240510
Now for the bad news, it doesn't work on the Yaesu Ft897d. The dit side just works as an ordinary straight key, the dah side does nothing. I tested the connections from ground to dit and ground to dah at the 3.5mm end, but when connected to the Yaesu it's just a one side straight key. Am i missing something in the menu settings?
Edit: It works! the manual read to press the KYR key. Apparently you just have to tip the KYR key and then parenthesis appear around the KYR. I am used to press the TUNR button until the parenthesis appear. In case of the KYR key long pressing leads to adjusting the wpm speed setting. Anyway i learned something again (and YAESU might learn something about consistent user interface CW sidesweeper, new project 1f606 )

Karel
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: CW sidesweeper, new project   CW sidesweeper, new project Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

CW sidesweeper, new project
Page 1 of 1