Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Charlie Tango call sign request
Radio 'magic' versus knowledge and formality Icon_minitimeToday at 1:27 am by GazM

» new member introdution and call sing request please
Radio 'magic' versus knowledge and formality Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:59 pm by gavin86

» Xiegu X6100
Radio 'magic' versus knowledge and formality Icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:58 pm by 26CT1074

» SWR/Reception
Radio 'magic' versus knowledge and formality Icon_minitimeYesterday at 3:31 pm by Mitch

» 10/11m Dipole
Radio 'magic' versus knowledge and formality Icon_minitimeYesterday at 2:28 pm by Alan Pilot

» Call sign request
Radio 'magic' versus knowledge and formality Icon_minitimeYesterday at 12:40 pm by John123

» New call sign
Radio 'magic' versus knowledge and formality Icon_minitimeYesterday at 12:37 pm by Ghosthunter

» New call sign request
Radio 'magic' versus knowledge and formality Icon_minitimeYesterday at 12:34 pm by John123

» Call Sign Application
Radio 'magic' versus knowledge and formality Icon_minitimeYesterday at 12:23 pm by John123

Keywords
ss9900 Sirio software list 2023 chart frequency lincoln anytone yaesu ALINCO power Mckinley Mobile president display 2022 9900 call 2024 callsign Baofeng 6900 meter sign antenna
QRZ Database

Radio 'magic' versus knowledge and formality

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
FreqFreak
Contributor
Contributor
FreqFreak

Times Thanked : 9
QTH or Location : Lingfield
Equipment Used : CRT Yaesu

Radio 'magic' versus knowledge and formality Empty
PostSubject: Radio 'magic' versus knowledge and formality   Radio 'magic' versus knowledge and formality Icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2024 12:05 pm

As a ham and CB'er I think we radio people find ourselves in quite an interesting situation. I have always wanted to understand more about why things in radio are as they are but I also miss the magic of the "old days". Some of which was plain ignorance.

Everyone has their own level of brain power, some are sharper than others, it's a fact but I don't think it should get in the way of our radio if possible.

In reality it is quite a simple hobby with basic principles that just work when some basic practical effort is put in, beyond the basic theory.

If you know your onions help others understand. And if you are not the brightest of sparks don't hold it against knowledgeable hams and CB dx operators.

I often wish I could bring back a little of the excitement and carefree approach to radio that I had decades ago when ugly baluns did not exist for CB'ers. Laughing

With knowledge I have made 100's of contacts I would never have made both on CB and Ham radio. My antennas have improved, obsession with big power has receded.

When I used to DX there was astonishment that it happened, I knew the basics it bounced off the atmosphere above. That astonishment made it exciting and drew me to radio like a fly to a light bulb.

There is also enjoyment in learning things, but there is also a dryness that can creep in. Which can destroy some of the excitement.

I think all would do well to hold things in balance. Not looking down on anyone and not fearing those who know more. This balance will help those who know less know more and make more and better contacts. And those who know a bit more (much is unknowable of course) can share and also maybe get back a little of the magic through association with those who take the radio for what it is.

Chance contacts with luck and chance and being fortunate enough to be in the right time and place.

It dawned on me today what an interesting and yet uncommon hobby radio is. Looking at a portable contact I made, a guy out in the sticks and yet not alone and connected by the sky.

I think radio can get a bit stuck in the tough blokes/military/survival/prep aspect and I respect that side of it. It is not my angle of approach though. I like the mystery/chance and connection of every part of the world. I like the connecting us aspect more that the potential divisions (politics / military connection etc.)

I am hoping this peak of the cycle we can share more and be less divided.

We are all only humans after all, not here for long. We might as well help each other.

Just as an example a Sirio Vector springs to mind ! Magic eh ?.. And antenna of dreams back in the day and even today.. there will always be elusive and intriguing aspects to some parts of radio. For me the crackle of FM E layer skip fading has something I cannot quite put my finger on Like it somehow contains time itself. (Nostalgia maybe). That noise and staring intensely at an analogue green and red S meter needle waving up and down in time with the noises. I am still drawn to the chaos of 11m dx, there is an odd comfort in that intense activity on 11m that is not the same on ham bands.

Hams can go down in frequency and still dx without any trouble most of the cycle. On 11m it is a frenzied chaotic mess that has an excitement like pirahna's in a pond. DX on 11m is affraid

I think there is value in holding onto the 'magic' elements of radio, even if many aspects are well explained by science.

Someone was saying how important it was to enjoy things in life on the ham bands and he was right, we should.

GaryWilson, Nightprowler, SangueG, Mavic2Pro, weealan and Started 80 like this post

Back to top Go down
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

Call Sign : 26-CT-3971 / 2E0LMI
Times Thanked : 72
QTH or Location : Cirencester, Gloucestershire
Equipment Used : Little radios, home-made antennas

PostSubject: Re: Radio 'magic' versus knowledge and formality   Radio 'magic' versus knowledge and formality Icon_minitimeFri Jun 14, 2024 8:29 am

FreqFreak (sorry don't know your real name, and apologies if I've asked before and forgotten), I think many here will connect with the words you have written.

Science still often does not accurately predict DX prop, especially on 10/11m. Whilst when some odd freaky DX occurs, yes it can be explained with science.. e.g. E's, auroral, or airplane flutter, or something else, it still feels like magic to me and that's something I'm definitely keeping hold of.

FreqFreak and Started 80 like this post

Back to top Go down
https://station-master.online/2E0LMI
FreqFreak
Contributor
Contributor
FreqFreak

PostSubject: Re: Radio 'magic' versus knowledge and formality   Radio 'magic' versus knowledge and formality Icon_minitimeFri Jun 14, 2024 9:10 am

We know the science of atoms, electrons, protons, gasses, particles and waves but the propellant of these emissions and interactions is in essence caused by the cooling of the universe and predominantly the sun. As it moves towards thermodynamic equilibrium (cooling) / entropy (states of less and less energetic change).

It does appear that it is random even though we have various statistics to indicate what may happen. So many times it has not been what has maybe expected.

The paths open on so many different chance interactions and whether you have the ability through noise floor and antenna to hear/send well enough or not.

What is open to one station is closed to a lesser or can relate to geography and where on the globe you are, time of day etc.

It is an audio window into a mysterious dimension, brought down to earth by a swift 5 by 9. Very Happy

Started 80 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: Radio 'magic' versus knowledge and formality   Radio 'magic' versus knowledge and formality Icon_minitimeSat Jun 15, 2024 6:11 am

A bit heavy for a 6am read but i am with you both on the magic.
One other thing that gets me is antenna's.
With many if you test with a multi meter you get a dead short.
How can we transmit into a dead short ang make contacts all round the world ???????.
Back to top Go down
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

Call Sign : 26-CT-3971 / 2E0LMI
Times Thanked : 72
QTH or Location : Cirencester, Gloucestershire
Equipment Used : Little radios, home-made antennas

PostSubject: Re: Radio 'magic' versus knowledge and formality   Radio 'magic' versus knowledge and formality Icon_minitimeSat Jun 15, 2024 6:42 am

That confuddles so many of us doesn't it Alan Smile Definitely magic. In my best Hagrid voice.. "Us radio operators are all Wizards Harry"

Alan Pilot likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://station-master.online/2E0LMI
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: Radio 'magic' versus knowledge and formality   Radio 'magic' versus knowledge and formality Icon_minitimeSat Jun 15, 2024 6:53 am

Just built a 7 band cobweb.
n theory 7 dipoles but still a dead short.
Might be down to the 4:1 balun lol.

SangueG and Ivy Mike like this post

Back to top Go down
Ivy Mike
Major contributor
Major contributor
Ivy Mike

Call Sign : 26CT4113/G1HWY
Times Thanked : 12
QTH or Location : IO90uv
Equipment Used : ICOM radios/antenna farm

PostSubject: Re: Radio 'magic' versus knowledge and formality   Radio 'magic' versus knowledge and formality Icon_minitimeSat Jun 15, 2024 8:32 am

Alan Pilot wrote:
How can we transmit into a dead short ang make contacts all round the world ???????.

It's not a dead short at RF as it will have an impedence at whatever frequency it operates at.
Back to top Go down
43CT016
Major contributor
Major contributor
43CT016

Call Sign : 43-CT-016
Times Thanked : 22
QTH or Location : Perth
Equipment Used : iCom IC-7610/IC-9700/IC-705

PostSubject: Re: Radio 'magic' versus knowledge and formality   Radio 'magic' versus knowledge and formality Icon_minitimeSat Jun 15, 2024 9:27 am

Alan Pilot wrote:
Just built a 7 band cobweb.
n theory 7 dipoles but still a dead short.
Might be down to the 4:1 balun lol.

It will be a short at DC...but not at RF frequencies.

Ivy Mike likes this post

Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

PostSubject: Re: Radio 'magic' versus knowledge and formality   Radio 'magic' versus knowledge and formality Icon_minitimeSat Jun 15, 2024 1:18 pm

I was only joking people's.
Back to top Go down
Ivy Mike
Major contributor
Major contributor
Ivy Mike

Call Sign : 26CT4113/G1HWY
Times Thanked : 12
QTH or Location : IO90uv
Equipment Used : ICOM radios/antenna farm

PostSubject: Re: Radio 'magic' versus knowledge and formality   Radio 'magic' versus knowledge and formality Icon_minitimeSun Jun 16, 2024 7:49 am

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
FreqFreak
Contributor
Contributor
FreqFreak

PostSubject: Re: Radio 'magic' versus knowledge and formality   Radio 'magic' versus knowledge and formality Icon_minitimeTue Jun 18, 2024 1:08 pm

Alan Pilot wrote:

That is a interesting one.

As I understand it and I will look into this again as I cannot recall why precisely, you know the exams, once done easily all forgotten unless you are constantly using the principles.

To RF which is not DC, it's AC it does not appear to be a short because a coil is involved in that short circuit to DC. And AC in a coil is subject to different laws of physics and electromagnetic principles. I will try and find the reason why again. 

It probably relates to why filters work as well.. using LC (L = inductance and C = capacitance) If I have this right... inductors allow low frequencies to pass but not high frequencies beyond a certain frequency (higher reactance) but it will still pass dc though.

With a capacitor the highs pass through but the lows are impeded.

It relates to Xc and Xl - inductive and capacitive reactance.

By the time you understand impedance, capacitors, inductors and reactance your mind is fully blown. It's amazing I wish I had kept my intermediate and full training books through the levels but threw them in a clear out.. the fool that I am.

It really helped with antenna building.

It is beautiful but complex and ultimately rests on mathematics. I recall being totally amazed at it when I learnt about it on Full licence level. 

It replaces the magic of.. wow that happened with the magic of maths explaining why that happened. At least in a very useful, but abstract, difficult and broken into parts way. lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Radio 'magic' versus knowledge and formality   Radio 'magic' versus knowledge and formality Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Radio 'magic' versus knowledge and formality
Page 1 of 1