Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» CT Call Sign
SWR/Reception Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:05 pm by firstie

» CT call sign please
SWR/Reception Icon_minitimeYesterday at 9:33 pm by Philip J Halton

» New member request from a maritime mobile
SWR/Reception Icon_minitimeYesterday at 9:24 pm by John123

» Trying to remember an old mic brand.
SWR/Reception Icon_minitimeYesterday at 2:55 pm by Mitch

» New Member call sign request.
SWR/Reception Icon_minitimeYesterday at 9:48 am by The_Theramist

» 10 year AM / SSB anniversary net 27th June 2024
SWR/Reception Icon_minitimeYesterday at 9:10 am by glenn dog

» HF Contacts 10m
SWR/Reception Icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:50 am by SangueG

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
SWR/Reception Icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:43 am by SangueG

» CT 11m Callsign Request
SWR/Reception Icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2024 11:02 pm by John123

Keywords
lincoln chart Mobile call ALINCO antenna meter 2022 2024 power Mckinley list 2023 sign Baofeng software 6900 Sirio 9900 president callsign ss9900 yaesu anytone display frequency
QRZ Database

SWR/Reception

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Poikey
Poikey

Call Sign : 26-CT-5188
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Olde Felixstowe
Equipment Used : Two President McKinleys, homebase & mobile.

SWR/Reception Empty
PostSubject: SWR/Reception   SWR/Reception Icon_minitimeSun Jun 16, 2024 9:19 pm

Hoiya all, hope all is well.

I have a query with my recently installed homebase set-up which consists of an expanded President McKinley plus a Thunderpole 5/8 wave Hi-Gain aerial mounted on my chimbley pot. SWR was spot on 1.0 though now the readings fluctuates as follows on muppet channels :-

Ch 1 1.0, 1.2
Ch 20 1.0, 1.4, 1.6
Ch 40 1.4, 1.6, 1.8

I can receive local muppets within a mile or two radius and thats it, though have picked up as far afield as Belfast, Hamburg, Poland & Italy on other channels. Is my SWR ok or do I need to do some tweaking? 

Last time I used a CB was back in the 90's and the hobby seems to have changed so learning whats what.

Thanks in advance  Cool
Back to top Go down
GaryWilson
CT Directors
CT Directors
GaryWilson

Call Sign : 26-CT-1836 Ham 2E0GGQ
Times Thanked : 368
QTH or Location : Redcar, North Yorkshire.
Equipment Used : Radios & Wires & Stuff!

SWR/Reception Empty
PostSubject: Re: SWR/Reception   SWR/Reception Icon_minitimeTue Jun 18, 2024 9:48 am

Hello Hagar,

Did you get this sorted out? My first port of call would be all the connections from the radio to the antenna and to make sure the antenna itself. Of water gets into any of the connections or the antenna you can get the fluctuations you describe. Let us know how you're getting on.

Best 73 Gary.
Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/2E0GGQ
Poikey
Poikey

SWR/Reception Empty
PostSubject: Re: SWR/Reception   SWR/Reception Icon_minitimeTue Jun 18, 2024 11:56 am

Hoiya Gary

I'll get them checked out. I meant to put some amalgamation tape around the jubilee clips and connections. Will get that done and checked out too.

73s

Hagar

GaryWilson likes this post

Back to top Go down
GaryWilson
CT Directors
CT Directors
GaryWilson

Call Sign : 26-CT-1836 Ham 2E0GGQ
Times Thanked : 368
QTH or Location : Redcar, North Yorkshire.
Equipment Used : Radios & Wires & Stuff!

SWR/Reception Empty
PostSubject: Re: SWR/Reception   SWR/Reception Icon_minitimeTue Jun 18, 2024 1:21 pm

Hello Hagar,

Yes definitely get it all sealed up. You can also put vaseline around the threads of the PL259/SO239 it really works wonders. Also check that the sections of the antenna itself haven't slipped a little.

Best 73 Gary.

Poikey likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/2E0GGQ
Poikey
Poikey

SWR/Reception Empty
PostSubject: Re: SWR/Reception   SWR/Reception Icon_minitimeWed Jun 19, 2024 9:47 pm

Hoiya Gary and anyone else.

Haven't managed to get aerial looked at yet ( I can't get onto my roof ) though out of curiousity I checked the SWR on AM, USB & LSB and it was over 3.5

Whats the best way to check the SWR on a multimode radio so the SWR is even throughout all the different bands?

Any advice is much appreciated.
Back to top Go down
Mitch
Contributor
Contributor
Mitch

Call Sign : M1TCH
Times Thanked : 11
QTH or Location : Wigston, Leicestershire.
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-857D, Diamond V2000, Major 3000, President Jackson Mk1 Export, Lafayette AFS-1005, K40 mic, KL203, B550P and Sirio GPE 27 ⅝λ.

SWR/Reception Empty
PostSubject: Re: SWR/Reception   SWR/Reception Icon_minitimeWed Jun 19, 2024 10:38 pm

Poikey wrote:
Whats the best way to check the SWR on a multimode radio so the SWR is even throughout all the different bands?

Usually in the middle, but most aerials will only do 2Mhz or so (200ch), shorter ones less. I've set mine to 27.500 for the lowest swr (I use mostly UK & sometimes mid), below 26.500 or above 28.500 and my swr starts to go over 2:1 so double low is out for TX but OK for listerning. What bands do you use? Set for the middle and you'll be about right. You won't get 'even swr' on all bands, not even close, so pick the ones you use the most and set for those.

Poikey likes this post

Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

SWR/Reception Empty
PostSubject: Re: SWR/Reception   SWR/Reception Icon_minitimeThu Jun 20, 2024 5:54 am

Only use am or fm when checking your swr.

Poikey likes this post

Back to top Go down
Poikey
Poikey

SWR/Reception Empty
PostSubject: Re: SWR/Reception   SWR/Reception Icon_minitimeThu Jun 20, 2024 7:43 am

Thanks Mitch & Alan

At moment mainly listening to UK and do a scan on most channels that the rig has though perhaps ought to narrow it down to what bands I listen too/use.

Regarding SWR, will it be the same on FM & AM?

Bear in mind I'm new to this hence the questions 😊
Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

SWR/Reception Empty
PostSubject: Re: SWR/Reception   SWR/Reception Icon_minitimeThu Jun 20, 2024 9:24 am

Yes the swr will be the same in any mode but you need a constant carrier to see hat it is so am or fm.
The antenna is what you are measuring well the reflected power so if the swr is high you have more power coming back down the coax.
Sorry not good at explaining things very well but that should cover it mostly i think.
Back to top Go down
Poikey
Poikey

SWR/Reception Empty
PostSubject: Re: SWR/Reception   SWR/Reception Icon_minitimeThu Jun 20, 2024 11:28 am

So, if I've understood this correctly, check SWR on 26.800 ( ish ) AM & FM as I intend using UK + EU CB & Freeband then I shouldn't be far out.
Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

SWR/Reception Empty
PostSubject: Re: SWR/Reception   SWR/Reception Icon_minitimeThu Jun 20, 2024 12:27 pm

Yep am or fm don't need to check it on both.

Poikey likes this post

Back to top Go down
Poikey
Poikey

SWR/Reception Empty
PostSubject: Re: SWR/Reception   SWR/Reception Icon_minitimeThu Jun 20, 2024 12:32 pm

Will give it check a bit later. Much appreciated 😊
Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

SWR/Reception Empty
PostSubject: Re: SWR/Reception   SWR/Reception Icon_minitimeThu Jun 20, 2024 12:43 pm

Your more than welcome.

Poikey likes this post

Back to top Go down
Poikey
Poikey

SWR/Reception Empty
PostSubject: Re: SWR/Reception   SWR/Reception Icon_minitimeFri Jun 21, 2024 8:40 am

Righto. Just checked the SWR with a meter and got the following readings :-

27'805  1.1

UK Ch 1  1.5
 "   Ch 20 1.6
 "   Ch 40 1.9

When I checked the SWR with the built in SWR meter I had the aforementioned fluctuations. What has also been noticed is my modulation is very quiet, can barely get out or receive though have picked up transmissions from far afield. I've yet to get someone to go onto my roof to check connections ( it's only just been installed in the past week or two ) . I also have the potential of putting an extention coax in so I can raise the antenna.

All advice & thoughts greatly appreciated 😊
Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

SWR/Reception Empty
PostSubject: Re: SWR/Reception   SWR/Reception Icon_minitimeFri Jun 21, 2024 8:54 am

27.805 or 26.805.
If the latter then the swr looks ok.
Modulation some radio's need a power mic not sure about your's not had one.

Poikey likes this post

Back to top Go down
Mitch
Contributor
Contributor
Mitch

Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-857D, Diamond V2000, Major 3000, President Jackson Mk1 Export, Lafayette AFS-1005, K40 mic, KL203, B550P and Sirio GPE 27 ⅝λ.

SWR/Reception Empty
PostSubject: Re: SWR/Reception   SWR/Reception Icon_minitimeFri Jun 21, 2024 9:01 am

Quote :
... What has also been noticed is my modulation is very quiet, can barely get out or receive though have picked up transmissions from far afield...

Those McKinley's are quiet on the tx mod, they're set for euro specs @1.8khz, UK specs are @2.5khz deviation, it's a known issue. They can be turned up inside though, if you know what you're doing, or you know a rig doctor.

Poikey likes this post

Back to top Go down
Poikey
Poikey

SWR/Reception Empty
PostSubject: Re: SWR/Reception   SWR/Reception Icon_minitimeFri Jun 21, 2024 9:10 am

Someone has fat fingers! 26.805

I wouldn't know how to turn the rig up nor know a rig doctor. Do have another McKinley that's going into a Land Rover.
Whilst the modulation is quiet, any thoughts on reception and transmission distance?
Back to top Go down
Mitch
Contributor
Contributor
Mitch

SWR/Reception Empty
PostSubject: Re: SWR/Reception   SWR/Reception Icon_minitimeSat Jun 22, 2024 3:31 pm

Fat fingers? Yeah got some of those myself, lol. Comms range will very much depend on the setup and location, 3-4 miles is decent for mobile, 10-15 or so for homebase, could be less, could be more, you'll find out when you use it how good it is. Height is might as they say. A power mic might be worth it to help you get out better and be heard, but a rig tweak will do more. All you can do is try it, nothing beats experience learned from doing stuff yourself.

Poikey likes this post

Back to top Go down
Miura
Contributor
Contributor
Miura

Call Sign : 26-CT-4388
QTH or Location : Cirencester
Equipment Used : Yaesu FTDX10 | Ranger RCI-2995 DX HP | Sirio 2008 Antenna

SWR/Reception Empty
PostSubject: Re: SWR/Reception   SWR/Reception Icon_minitimeTue Jun 25, 2024 8:28 am

KP-O powered mics are the best for the McKinley but the downside is you’ll loose the up&down channel buttons on the Mike. Besides the KP-O, none of the others gave me satisfaction. The stock mic being on the quiet side is a known problem but I still can do great DX with the rig even when coupled to a boomerang antenna!

Poikey likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://gc20.pagesperso-orange.fr/
Poikey
Poikey

SWR/Reception Empty
PostSubject: Re: SWR/Reception   SWR/Reception Icon_minitimeTue Jun 25, 2024 1:48 pm

Just so happens that I've procured two. Getting antenna looked at this afternoon and see what's what!
Back to top Go down
Poikey
Poikey

SWR/Reception Empty
PostSubject: Re: SWR/Reception   SWR/Reception Icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2024 2:42 pm

Update.....mate went up onto the roof of my bungalow to help with SWR and raise the antenna. Got the SWR down to 1.6 then raised the antenna by a couple of foot. Checked the SWR again on a meter and it went up to 2.5 though the built in SWR meter went up to 5.0/5.2 Checked on UK Channels 1, 20 & 40. 

Being inexperienced with multiband radios, I assume that I've done something wrong.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

SWR/Reception Empty
PostSubject: Re: SWR/Reception   SWR/Reception Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

SWR/Reception
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum :: Help and Discussion Forums :: Multimode, Export and Sideband Radio-
Jump to: