Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Winter 11m Challenge - from December 1st 2023 to 31st March 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» 10 Metre Summer Challenge 2024
First Contact Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:13 pm by John H

» Tank whip for homebase
First Contact Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:40 pm by Hendo

» First homebase
First Contact Icon_minitimeYesterday at 4:10 pm by Hendo

» Foundation licence passed!
First Contact Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:49 am by Al21

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
First Contact Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:20 am by SangueG

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge League Table 2024
First Contact Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:15 am by SangueG

» Returning Member / Callsign Re-Issue (Returning Member)
First Contact Icon_minitimeSun Mar 17, 2024 10:56 pm by John123

» Southern Area and South Coast SSB Net
First Contact Icon_minitimeSun Mar 17, 2024 9:05 pm by Razz229

» Introduction to the group. (Issued)
First Contact Icon_minitimeSun Mar 17, 2024 4:52 am by Victor

Keywords
Mobile lincoln supply 6900 president 9900 software power chart anytone Baofeng ss9900 2023 sign yaesu Sirio display meter ALINCO list frequency antenna call Mckinley 2022 callsign
QRZ Database

First Contact

Go down 
+3
Victor
StevieG
Alan - Mirror Man
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Alan - Mirror Man
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan - Mirror Man

Call Sign : 108CT233
Times Thanked : 14
QTH or Location : Central Scotland
Equipment Used : CRT SS9900 Beofeng UV5R Yaesu FTDX1200 CRT Micron CRT FP00 Sattelite 2000 antenna ZS6BKW X30 co-linear

First Contact Empty
PostSubject: First Contact   First Contact Icon_minitimeSun Feb 02, 2020 9:37 pm

After relocating the Sirio Signal Keeper and Nagoya 770 in my loft today due to electrical interference I am pleased to announce I made my first contact today, it was just CH19 on the muppets but the chap I was chatting to also has a PMR setup with an X30 antenna so I was able to chat away getting good reports for both bands.
I have a Sattelite 2000 antenna to go up outside once the weather is a little better but I was a bit concerned as I hadn't managed to get hold of anyone but after tracking the problem of interference down to a couple of household appliances I decided to move the twigs I was using as far away as possible from the offending appliances and it seems to have done the trick.
He advised me of the frequencies the guys are using locally so I will be able to monitor those and make contact with some of the other people locally until I get the larger 11m base antenna up for a bit of Dx on SSB.
I am still going to have to deal with the interference from household appliances still and was thinking about ferrite rings on the power cords to do so and if anybody has any suggestions on reducing interference I would be more than happy to hear them!

Still, I am more than a little pleased to have made my first contact and I am sure it will be the first of many!

73's

Alan - Mirror Man

P.S. I redid the SWR on the Sirio and my very first adjustment gave me a 1:1 SWR reading for UK40, that has never happend to me before.(probably more luck than anything else)
Back to top Go down
StevieG
Major contributor
Major contributor
StevieG

Call Sign : 26-CT-3239 , Jolly Roger 272, 26-TG-987 , 26-RB-060 , 26-CO-3239
Times Thanked : 120
QTH or Location : SW London
Equipment Used : Icom IC 7610, Stryker sr955hpc, Colt Excalibur SSB, President GrantII JacksonII McKinley EU, CRTSS6900N,CRTSS9900, KPO DX5000 Plus, Cobra 148 GTL-DX MK2, Cobra 2000 GTL, Zetagi B550p, Bremi BRL200, RM KL200P, KL203P, KL703, Sirio 4000, Sirio 3000 Bull, Stryker SR-A10, Antron99 Fire up , Hawkins Thunderbolt SSD58+ , Sirio 827, Heil pro micro headset, KPO NM532-KPO NM452- Astatic 575M6 Astatic D104 Silver Eagle, Delta M2 , UR6QW 8 Band eq, Uniden and AOR scanner

First Contact Empty
PostSubject: Re: First Contact   First Contact Icon_minitimeSun Feb 02, 2020 10:27 pm

Well done Alan, no looking back now enjoy the hobby and hope for a contact with you when conditions allow.
73s
Steve.
Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 349
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

First Contact Empty
PostSubject: Re: First Contact   First Contact Icon_minitimeMon Feb 03, 2020 7:45 am

Congratulations Alan Smile

Glad to hear you enjoying a radio contact and above all, sticking with it until you did!

We can all get a bit hung up with radio, setting up a station, listening, hearing nothing but static and getting a little dispondant with it all. We then tend to focus on the negatives maybe the radio isn't great, or the antenna, better coax might do the trick perhaps, or is it all that QRM stuff I keep hearing about.....
Some people give up there, others keep going.

QRM/RFI problems are akin to a long drive home on a quiet night.
You hear a weird 'buzzing' noise, you tilt your head trying to locate it, start touching the dash and console to figure out where the noise is coming from. You can't locate it and start to think maybe something is wrong with your vehicle. On a roundabout the noise changes, on left hand bends it's worse but doesn't seem as bad on rights...dammit, it must be a wheel bearing, but it's just had an MOT, maybe they missed it, is that part of an MOT you question. The noise seems much louder now, you start pondering your breakdown cover, the noise is definitely getting worse, are you even going to make it back home before your vehicle falls to bits. It's an itch you can't scratch, it's definitely louder, your paranoia is greater than it ever has been....Arrrgghh!! The noise!!!
With the greatest sense of relief ever, you've made it home....as the car idles the noise seems quieter but still buzzing...the morning sun streams through the windscreen...almost vampiric from the bright glare you instinctively pick up your sunglasses from centre console.....

Bugger.....the noise has stopped. Poxy sunglasses, who'd have thought?

By all means have a play with ferrites etc. you might improve things but don't get too worried if you don't.
You've already found improvements by moving your antenna, you'll see bigger improvements with an outdoor antenna, height is might, all that jazz Smile

Above all, you made first contact, you're buzzing about it, you have someone on air that can hear you and you heard them. Awesome!
Carry on, call out instead of listening, tweak your station as you see fit, just enjoy it all Smile

Well done again Alan!

(Apologies for 'drivelling', I get just as much as a buzz from others radio successes as I do my own....radio is flipping awesome)

73's
Victor
Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
GaryWilson
CT Directors
CT Directors
GaryWilson

Call Sign : 26-CT-1836 Ham 2E0GGQ
Times Thanked : 344
QTH or Location : Redcar, North Yorkshire.
Equipment Used : Radios & Wires & Stuff!

First Contact Empty
PostSubject: Re: First Contact   First Contact Icon_minitimeMon Feb 03, 2020 7:51 am

Well done Alan, the first of many I hope!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/2E0GGQ
Alan - Mirror Man
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan - Mirror Man

Equipment Used : CRT SS9900 Beofeng UV5R Yaesu FTDX1200 CRT Micron CRT FP00 Sattelite 2000 antenna ZS6BKW X30 co-linear

First Contact Empty
PostSubject: Re: First Contact   First Contact Icon_minitimeMon Feb 03, 2020 10:55 am

Thanks ever so much guys and no apology is necessary Victor, I have a tendency to waffle on a bit myself at times, what a good analogy too!

It was only when I was up in the loft that it truly dawned on me I had placed the ariels really quite close to a pair of transformers I am using for a separate project they are creating a field of interference as after brushing up on causes of QRM with some handy YouTube videos I turned everything off and running my radio from a car battery I tracked down the source of the problem.  
I have three antennas up there just now; a discone for use with my SDR setup, the Nagoya and the Sirio, just moving them a few metres has improved things no end but I will still take the time to stop the interference as it is still quite high but I am clearly on the right track and after making a good local contact I have renewed vigour and enthusiasm to get everything right.

The chap I was speaking to, Scotty, couldn't have been more helpful, telling me about the local network of users, when they are on etc and I got the impression he was quite pleased to have another station back on the airwaves too!

If anybody out there is new or returning to the airwaves like myself and you have gone out and shelled out a few quid to set up and are struggling to make contact don't give up, stick with it and your patience will be rewarded as mine was, now I am just looking forward to getting the big twig up outside and hopefully connecting with some of you guys a bit further afield fingers crossed. (although I am quietly confident if honest)

Thanks again guys

73's

Alan
Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 349
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

First Contact Empty
PostSubject: Re: First Contact   First Contact Icon_minitimeMon Feb 03, 2020 1:02 pm

Nicely put Alan, a good encouragement to not only yourself, but others as well Smile

73's to ya!
Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Alan - Mirror Man
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan - Mirror Man

First Contact Empty
PostSubject: Re: First Contact   First Contact Icon_minitimeTue May 05, 2020 7:56 pm

Thanks again guys, I think the bug has really bitten I have another multimode already haha
Back to top Go down
Red Fox
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Red Fox

Call Sign : 108-CT-255
Times Thanked : 17
QTH or Location : Fife Scotland
Equipment Used : Squawk Boxes & Wires - Both Annoy the other half :)

First Contact Empty
PostSubject: Re: First Contact   First Contact Icon_minitimeTue May 05, 2020 8:29 pm

Hi Alan,

Looks like you are in my neck of the woods, or at least in Scotland Very Happy

After a little advice from the guys on here, I've ordered a new 10m radio and a Sirio 2016 antenna.

Hoping to have it setup by this weekend, delivery and weather permitting of course.

Here's hoping I'll be able to give you a shout from the Fife area if you are up for it.

73s
Graeme.
Back to top Go down
Alan - Mirror Man
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan - Mirror Man

First Contact Empty
PostSubject: Re: First Contact   First Contact Icon_minitimeSat May 23, 2020 6:46 pm

Absolutely Graeme, you should be within shouting distance, I can see the bridges over the Forth from the top of the street.

I hope you managed to get the Sirio up already as it's come over very blustery indeed, if not I am sure you will soon enough.

Sorry about my delay in replying I didn't spot your post at first.

I look forward to hearing you on the airwaves!

73's

Alan
Back to top Go down
Red Fox
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Red Fox

First Contact Empty
PostSubject: Re: First Contact   First Contact Icon_minitimeMon May 25, 2020 8:29 pm

Hi Alan,

Tried shouting a few times for you on 27.555 USB, not sure if this is where you normally listen or if indeed on USB.

Regards

Graeme.
Back to top Go down
John123
CT Directors
CT Directors
John123

Call Sign : 26CT763
Times Thanked : 145
QTH or Location : Manchester
Equipment Used : Optima, Superstar 360fm, Stalker 9fdx, President Jack

First Contact Empty
PostSubject: Re: First Contact   First Contact Icon_minitimeMon May 25, 2020 10:24 pm

Well done, Alan. It will be the first of many for you.
Back to top Go down
Alan - Mirror Man
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan - Mirror Man

First Contact Empty
PostSubject: Re: First Contact   First Contact Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2020 9:08 am

It is Graeme but I had a dinner engagement last night but will monitor the frequency as it is the one I generally use.
Thank you, John,  I am chalking them up already I had forgotten the simple magic of radio and DXing.

Last edited by Alan - Mirror Man on Wed May 27, 2020 7:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Red Fox
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Red Fox

First Contact Empty
PostSubject: Re: First Contact   First Contact Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2020 8:18 pm

Hi Alan,

Not a problem, tried a few times today on 27.555 USB but never heard you around. I did manage to chat with 14PAT213 Tony in France although it was a little short due to signal level.

Cheers

Graeme.
Back to top Go down
Alan - Mirror Man
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan - Mirror Man

First Contact Empty
PostSubject: Re: First Contact   First Contact Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2020 7:58 am

That is a cracking contact to have under your belt, Graeme, good to know you are getting out too!
I tried calling you around dinner time myself to no avail but now I am home for the next three days I will be on a fair bit and hope to catch you.

Back to top Go down
Red Fox
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Red Fox

First Contact Empty
PostSubject: Re: First Contact   First Contact Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2020 7:11 pm

No worries Alan,

Typical that i'm working in Edinburgh over the next couple of days (Ships that pass in the night comes to mind - lol)

Should be working from home on Friday and may catch up then if not during the evening's beforehand at some point.

Regards

Graeme.
Back to top Go down
MV Communicator
MV Communicator

Call Sign : 26-CT-4558
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Wootton Bassett
Equipment Used : CRT Superstar SS-7900, TTi TCB-771, Thunderpole Red Devil, Cobra M75 Power Mic

First Contact Empty
PostSubject: Re: First Contact   First Contact Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2020 1:32 pm

Glad you are making progress Alan, its great when you get your first contact! Onwards and upwards cheers
Back to top Go down
https://www.cbtvuk.com/
Red Fox
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Red Fox

First Contact Empty
PostSubject: Re: First Contact   First Contact Icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2020 3:06 pm

Listening on 27.555 USB today, plenty of contacts coming across from France Germany etc.

I does seem though that the Muppets from the old days have also migrated and are baying like sheep??

Makes me wonder where they got the idea ???

Tried shouting a few times today Alan, not sure if you were on.

Regards

Graeme.
Back to top Go down
Alan - Mirror Man
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan - Mirror Man

First Contact Empty
PostSubject: Re: First Contact   First Contact Icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2020 3:46 pm

We will surely catch one another at some point Graeme, another CT station called back but 555 is really very busy indeed.
I can't say I have heard many Muppets at all, the occasional station playing computer noises or sirens but it has been few and far between.
Having lived a few miles from a young chap with a 1 Kw linear and a passion for sharing his favourite music on CH19 it is quiet by comparison!
Back to top Go down
MV Communicator
MV Communicator

Call Sign : 26-CT-4558
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Wootton Bassett
Equipment Used : CRT Superstar SS-7900, TTi TCB-771, Thunderpole Red Devil, Cobra M75 Power Mic

First Contact Empty
PostSubject: Re: First Contact   First Contact Icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2020 8:14 pm

Alan - Mirror Man wrote:
We will surely catch one another at some point Graeme, another CT station called back but 555 is really very busy indeed.
I can't say I have heard many Muppets at all, the occasional station playing computer noises or sirens but it has been few and far between.
Having lived a few miles from a young chap with a 1 Kw linear and a passion for sharing his favourite music on CH19 it is quiet by comparison!

I heard you today on 555, then down on something like 515, I had contact with UK108 (Penrith) but I don't think you could hear us, albeit you were hitting me 9+20 at times. Yep, heard the Air Raid siren too :p
Back to top Go down
https://www.cbtvuk.com/
Alan - Mirror Man
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan - Mirror Man

First Contact Empty
PostSubject: Re: First Contact   First Contact Icon_minitimeSat May 30, 2020 7:09 am

Keep trying as one time I will be able to hear you and I am always pleased to hear from another CT station.
I was able to QSK a chat between to locals hundreds of miles away their signals were so strong I'd of thought they were local if it weren't for the accents.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

First Contact Empty
PostSubject: Re: First Contact   First Contact Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

First Contact
Page 1 of 1