Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Your Amateur station is unique....but just how good is it?
Ziggy A True Radio Star Icon_minitimeToday at 11:27 am by VanRougeT4

» Giving PMR 446 Another Whirl
Ziggy A True Radio Star Icon_minitimeToday at 11:19 am by John123

» 6900v7 Mic Problem...
Ziggy A True Radio Star Icon_minitimeToday at 10:33 am by Relay-1

» Galaxy Saturn modification ( -5khz )
Ziggy A True Radio Star Icon_minitimeToday at 10:29 am by Zolee

» New shack in operation.
Ziggy A True Radio Star Icon_minitimeToday at 6:45 am by SangueG

» Static/noise
Ziggy A True Radio Star Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:10 pm by John123

» President Himalaya wb half wave
Ziggy A True Radio Star Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:45 pm by John79

» South Coast PMR net report
Ziggy A True Radio Star Icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:48 pm by Razz229

» 11m conditions
Ziggy A True Radio Star Icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2024 10:50 pm by John123

Keywords
callsign Mobile 2024 2023 lincoln Mckinley ALINCO Sirio ss9900 antenna frequency president anytone sign 9900 Baofeng yaesu 6900 software display meter 2022 chart power list call
QRZ Database

Ziggy A True Radio Star

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Bean
Major contributor
Major contributor

Times Thanked : 6

Ziggy A True Radio Star Empty
PostSubject: Ziggy A True Radio Star   Ziggy A True Radio Star Icon_minitimeMon Feb 24, 2020 11:10 am

R.I.P zIGGY , in a few days it will be four years of his passing and as we seem to have entered the clickbait era of blogs and youtube its ( I feel ) worth
remembering a true Radio Star,Back when Single Side Band became legal (2014) on the old mid block frequencies things were very quite , others played
their part, Jason and Gary who were moderators of CT at the time would go CTX and hold monthly nets but maybe because of the lack of numbers on never
got the support their efforts deserved and who can forget the Blackshaw Moor boys "Dave" "Paul" and "Jay" who would go out to high ground with the four
element vertical yagi !  but it was once Ziggy started the Mid Week Net that things at least on a Wednesday night really kicked off on the Legal SSB
frequencies as regards domestic use and Tony from Halifax who sometimes co-chaired and Martin who kept the log should also be noted.Things were far
from perfect the Sun at this time was still active with all the pops , bangs and whistles that come with it as well as deliberate QRM and the check in
nature of the net but with numbers calling in at ninety plus there wasn't much chance to be passed around in a two hour period . This in turn lead to
others setting up regional nets , Roy in the North West, Ozzy in the North East, Richard and Justin in East Anglia, Tim and Ray in the South East and
with the passing of Ziggy the MWN being taken over by Martin and Tom. Others may have played a part in those early days and maybe someone else might
of come along and had the same effect but they didn't and Ziggy surely did . Four years seems like a long time ago looking back and I have no idea what
the Legal SSB frequencies are like now but 26ct1234 / uk1234 / LR123 should go down in history as the Grandpappy of on air Legal CB in the UK.
Back to top Go down
Kaosss
CT Directors
CT Directors
Kaosss

Call Sign : 163CT777, 163RC777 163FB777, JR131, ex 163LR001
Times Thanked : 27
QTH or Location : Flintshire, N Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT2000d, Kenwood TS 2000, Heil mic, 5 ele yagi

PostSubject: Re: Ziggy A True Radio Star   Ziggy A True Radio Star Icon_minitimeMon Feb 24, 2020 2:19 pm

4 years, wow! Well said Kevin, Ziggy was a damn good friend and sadly missed by many of us.

hawk657
hawk657

Call Sign : CT/X 6657
Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : Nuneaton - Warwickshire
Equipment Used : AT5555, CRT2000H, Midland PORTAPACK, SIRIO and FIRESTIK mobile antennas. Home built DIPOLE in the loft, T2LT and a Silver Rod going up this week (sep 23)

PostSubject: Re: Ziggy A True Radio Star   Ziggy A True Radio Star Icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2020 10:16 pm

Great words.

Met Ziggy at the Buxton Bash and had a great weekend with him - absolute star of a bloke.

Stand Easy Ziggy.

Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/@pilgrimoutdoors-uk6177/
Cozzmik
10 + Year member
10 +  Year  member
Cozzmik

Call Sign : 26-CT-465/OP-465/FB-012
Times Thanked : 9
QTH or Location : Kent
Equipment Used : Kenwood ts570dg/Yaesu ft450d/Rm-kl400/Sirio 4000

PostSubject: Re: Ziggy A True Radio Star   Ziggy A True Radio Star Icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2020 8:23 am

While i never met Ziggy we spoke via posts on the first incarnation of Charlie Tango often and he had such a positive prescence with a great sense of humour...

Very much missed...
Back to top Go down
Rotel240

Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Yorkshire

PostSubject: Re: Ziggy A True Radio Star   Ziggy A True Radio Star Icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2020 7:41 pm

Ziggy (Lyndon Richard) was a true gentleman always willing to put people first and help them out.I first talked to Ziggy in the 80s then a few years later I met him at the Tango Delta DX club I would go on high ground and meet up with him and do some dxing, Ziggy had a Yaesu ft900at I has a ss 3900 he had some nice homebrew antennas we we threw up a tree and worked the world.we both lost touch for a number of years due to work and family commitments.I bought a radio around 2011 and heard Ziggy on FM I shouted him and he replied how you doing and where are you, I said I am up the hill within 15mins he was up with a bag of chips and we had a flick around t5 on the Yeticom Optima the band was alive, the next week he bought a sidebander and most evenings around 6 of us would have a chat,this is when he started to do the mid week net high up in the Peak District and the rest is history.
Ziggy (G1ZIG) was also a keen radio ham and was very active at his radio club and got plenty of newcomers into the hobby, I visit his memorial plaque up at his sweet spot quiet often. RIP Ziggy missed by many and a radio legend.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ziggy A True Radio Star   Ziggy A True Radio Star Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ziggy A True Radio Star
Page 1 of 1