Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Request for CT Callsign
Equipment Recommendations  Icon_minitimeToday at 11:39 am by Jim101

» what was your first radio and antenna
Equipment Recommendations  Icon_minitimeToday at 11:13 am by stealth 57

» Anytone 6667
Equipment Recommendations  Icon_minitimeToday at 10:10 am by Razz229

» CB Radio Featured in Film and Tv
Equipment Recommendations  Icon_minitimeToday at 9:41 am by Razz229

» crt ss 9900
Equipment Recommendations  Icon_minitimeToday at 8:52 am by stealth 57

» South Coast PMR net report
Equipment Recommendations  Icon_minitimeToday at 8:14 am by Razz229

» Help needed
Equipment Recommendations  Icon_minitimeToday at 5:13 am by Numenius

Equipment Recommendations  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:23 pm by Mr T

» gre 225 radio scanner
Equipment Recommendations  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:10 pm by rabbi

Keywords
display frequency ALINCO supply Mckinley lincoln ss9900 yaesu call software 6900 chart antenna Sirio power president 2023 2022 list Baofeng anytone 9900 callsign meter sign Mobile
QRZ Database

Equipment Recommendations

Go down 
+3
Tristar
Rotel240
Falconuk
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Falconuk

Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Wolverhampton
Equipment Used : Not yet set up

Equipment Recommendations  Empty
PostSubject: Equipment Recommendations    Equipment Recommendations  Icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2020 7:11 am

I am looking to start up after over 20 years of not using cb radio and I have totally forgot most things. advice is most welcome guys as to what is best for starting back up. A Decent radio with sideband as I believe these are uk legal know (Please correct me if I’m Wrong) and a good Ariel and power supply is probably what I am looking for. Is there many people on around the Wolverhampton area. Looking forward to some chats. I have been looking at the SS 6900N but I believe these are not uk legal (Advice Please). Thank you
P.S I am planning to go homebase only and not mobile.

Alan - Mirror Man and Tristar like this post

Back to top Go down
Rotel240

Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Yorkshire

PostSubject: Re: Equipment Recommendations    Equipment Recommendations  Icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2020 8:48 am

Hi, Forget about the legal side of things nobody cares or checks 11m is a free for all band just don't go blanking the neighbour's TV and hifi equipment out. The crt 6900 is a excellent radio and also the Alinco dr135, many are now using hf sets. The sirio gain master is a good homebase antenna with low swr between 25 to 30 mhz just mount it on a long flexible pole so the antenna doesn't take all the strain.use a good quality coax rg mini8 is good for shortish runs but rg213 is probably better for longer runs of over 20m. Any 10 amp psu will run the radio fine but i would go for a 25 amp plus because you my want to run a linear amp at a later date and the rm kl 203 are very popular. Good luck in what you buy.

NUBSTER, Andy591/P, glenn dog, Victor and Alan - Mirror Man like this post

Back to top Go down
Tristar
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Tristar

Call Sign : 26-CT-3771
Times Thanked : 3
QTH or Location : Weston-super-Mare
Equipment Used : CRT Millennium 3v hand sets, President Barry2

PostSubject: Re: Equipment Recommendations    Equipment Recommendations  Icon_minitimeTue Aug 11, 2020 11:16 pm

Hi Falconuk

With respect to our fellow member, there many of us that do care and operate Our rigs and setup legally and would encourage other’s to do so. 
I was on in the 70/80s and wished that we had then what’s available now legally. 

There are a number of rigs that you can get from 40ch 80ch am/ Fm and like mine Am/Fm/USB/LSB modes with 80ch. That is the President McKinley not moded for export. 

There are many people in my area that use legal equipment and if you are happy taking the risk that if you get caught you pay the price then go outside the law. 
Not preaching just saying it’s your choice and responsibility. 

In June I contacted a breaker 10 miles north Of Aberdeen. Over 500 miles from my 20 with legal equipment, 4 watts power on FM. 

Anyway there are some people that are trying to teach the young breakers that even informal rules are good to keep like not continuing a conversation on the breaking channel or playing music etc like the bad old days of cb. 

Either way welcome back and enjoy your radio. 

All the best. 73s

Alan - Mirror Man likes this post

Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: Equipment Recommendations    Equipment Recommendations  Icon_minitimeWed Aug 12, 2020 6:54 am

Had to laugh when i looked at the above posters user name "Tristar" they where never legal lol.

NUBSTER, glenn dog, Victor, Alan - Mirror Man and Tristar like this post

Back to top Go down
Tristar
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Tristar

PostSubject: Re: Equipment Recommendations    Equipment Recommendations  Icon_minitimeWed Aug 12, 2020 8:40 am

Hi 👋🏻 
Quite right. 
That’s why I got caught so I wouldn’t want that to happen to me again or anyone else!
But yes it is a bit of irony if you don’t know the story behind it!:laughing

Victor and Alan - Mirror Man like this post

Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Equipment Recommendations    Equipment Recommendations  Icon_minitimeWed Aug 12, 2020 9:44 am

Very Happy
Could've meant anything....most people don't know "Samsung" is Korean for three stars or 'Tristar' Wink

But yeah, wasn't nice being caught back in the day......happened to me Crying or Very sad Shocked
(Luckily it's all a bit less serious nowadays.)

To the Original Poster 'Falconuk', (no personal, sorry)

It depends what you want or expect from CB as to what equipment you're after.....

Good antenna - are you gonna be homebase or mobile?
Are you just going to be chatting to mates on UK FM? You mention the SS6900 so obviously expect a bit more Wink
UK frequencies are legal only when using FM at 4 watts and Euro/CEPT/US/Mid-block, (b*gger me they use various descriptions!), you can use FM/AM/LSB/USB.....etc. etc. Full details at OFCOM if you want the the legal route.

If you go fully legal.... you're gonna miss the fun of 'Freeband DXing'!!! Smile

'Freeband'(?), didn't us old farts call it Hi-Band?...Hi-block?...High?....Top of the shops? Very Happy
Whatever, all the fun stuff that happens around 27.555MHz, the triple 5, the international CB DX calling frequency, (amongst others).

Basic, legal CB will only get you so far such as chatting to your mate five miles down the road. Which is fine Wink
Legal Euro with it's AM and Sideband modes will get you a bit further.....until....

The 'skip' comes in Smile

Suddenly you'll find you can be chatting to someone in Europe, or further, or even the USA!

That my friend, is what excites a lot of us with CB.

But why limit yourself?

The 'skip' comes in and now you can hear every potential DJ playing music on UK 19, even with Euro frequencies you get European numpties playing music on their frequencies.....so you skidaddle along to the 'Freeband' frequencies and hear the DX CBers shouting CQ for all their worth! Smile

(Of course you still get Numpties there too....just less of them Wink)

For a lot of us CBers, (and other radio operators alike), it's the proverbial gold at the end of the rainbow!

But......
If you want to go fully 'legal' you might consider the Amateur Radio or Ham route. Pass your test, loads more frequencies/bands to use...etc. etc.
Don't forget, a lot of Hams started on CB and a lot of them are still here using CB today Wink

'Rotel240's suggestion is as good as any, knock yourself out.

Honestly, as far as 'legalities' are concerned it's not like you're hurting someone. A few extra watts, an 'illegal' rig, DXing on the Freeband, none of it is going to kill someone.....unlike using a mobile phone whilst driving eh? Wink
Laws are there to protect people, or should be and nothing else.

Anyway, hope my waffling helps you out.

"Legal", tut. To paraphrase....

"He's not the Messiah......(altogether now), he's a very naughty boy!"

All the best,
Victor
Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Alan - Mirror Man
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan - Mirror Man

Call Sign : 108CT233
Times Thanked : 14
QTH or Location : Central Scotland
Equipment Used : CRT SS9900 Beofeng UV5R Yaesu FTDX1200 CRT Micron CRT FP00 Sattelite 2000 antenna ZS6BKW X30 co-linear

PostSubject: Re: Equipment Recommendations    Equipment Recommendations  Icon_minitimeWed Aug 12, 2020 10:33 am

I went the export route myself with a SS9900, it puts out around 50W SSB so no need to worry about a linear and it covers from just below 25MHZ to just over 30MHZ and I have made many good contacts on it now the "skips up" as they say.

I know it's not exactly a regulation set but if you operate sensibly, not causing interference to others, nobody will even look at you twice.
I too was busted and my gear confiscated when younger but if I am honest, I was less than discreet and came to the attention of the local self appointed "radio police" one of those old busy bodies who referred to themselves as a C.B. monitor who went on to become a HAM which made him even bloody worse.

Retrospectively, if I had been a bit more careful and considerate of others, I would have never been on this guys radar and would have avoided the knock at the door but I was young and a bit of a hot-head to boot.

If you present yourself as a sensible and legal operator that is how people will perceive you, I think it is fair to say nobody cares if your radio has super low or a few extra Watts as long as you aren't causing problems for others. The airwaves can be a little quiet at times so I would want to give myself as much scope as possible to make contacts, but which ever route you choose I am sure you will enjoy it as I have, even feeling like an excited kid at Christmas at times!

73's

Alan

Victor and Tristar like this post

Back to top Go down
Tristar
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Tristar

PostSubject: Re: Equipment Recommendations    Equipment Recommendations  Icon_minitimeWed Aug 12, 2020 10:55 am

Hi all. 
End of the day guys I’m happy with the frequency and modes I have on my McKinley and I know I’m operating legally which helps when you don’t get on with your neighbours. 

All I’m saying is that in my area and I’m guessing others around the country too there are people that are using legal set ups and are happy doing so. 
Use whatever makes you happy just be aware that if you don’t get on with someone and they know what you have (which most people put their equipment lists on forums and Facebook) it don’t take much investigating now for authorities to use that info against you. 
Or a quick phone call saying you’re interfering with my fridge since he put that antenna please Mr Ofcom can you help?
Bare in mind that all government sections are out of money and there’s no quicker way than fines to up the bank balance!
This is JMO and the reason I’m not going onto illegal equipment especially when I’m happy with what I have!
It’s up to each individual to know the law as I didn’t know won’t be a valid defence in court. 
Anyway. Please don’t shoot the messenger. 
Enjoy what ever you choose just be well informed!

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Equipment Recommendations    Equipment Recommendations  Icon_minitimeWed Aug 12, 2020 11:45 am

John,

We never 'shoot the messanger' on here mate Wink

It's great that we've got so many individually minded people on here as it all makes for lively debate. If we were all the same we wouldn't be playing with radio's but sat in front of a panel watching some mind drivelling tosh they call television.

It's all what I lovingly call 'shooting the breeze'. Bit of banter, agreeable disagreement, above all just a bit of fun Smile

We shouldn't life in fear of the law though.

I was busted all those years ago because of a single minded asshat, (who happened to be a Ham, but I know nowadays not all Hams are bad). We had the over zealous Radio Communications Agency back then and later the equally vindictive DTI inspectors. OFCOM are more interested in the real bad boys nowadays, heck if you phone them up to complain your hardly likely to get anywhere or have to cough out the cost of an investigation. That puts most of the asshats off straight away! Very Happy

It put me off radio for too many years and I sat as a silent SWL, (shortwave listener). Not quite the same fun...

It was thanks to Charlie Tango DX and the helpful members here that gave me push to get back into it all.
Flipping glad they did! Never been happier!

Like you I stuck to the 'legal' frequencies at first happy that we had Euro band with the AM & SSB modes. But for me the excitement was in those freeband frequencies, especially this summer's skip.

Plus, I'm not a complete idiot, (my wife may suggest otherwise Wink) I have the ability to transmit on other frequencies, but I don't and wouldn't. Don't need a 'law' to tell me otherwise.

It's as Alan says, just be sensible.

Anyway John, you've asked questions on here, you've offered advice and help, you've joined in lively debates...

For me that makes you a valued member of Charlie Tango Smile

All the best,
Victor

Back to top Go down
Tristar
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Tristar

PostSubject: Re: Equipment Recommendations    Equipment Recommendations  Icon_minitimeWed Aug 12, 2020 5:20 pm

Hi 👋🏻 
No worries Victor 
Just didn’t want to be misunderstood in my first few days of joining 😉
I’m looking forward to being an active member and contributing where I can. 
I look forward to getting to know the group and individuals better as time goes on. 

Stay safe and well my friend. 
John

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Equipment Recommendations    Equipment Recommendations  Icon_minitimeWed Aug 12, 2020 6:42 pm

Same to you John Smile

You've already started as an active member of the forum and that's a big thumbs up in my book!

Too many ask for a callsign then are never seen again, (unless there's a radio raffle Wink)

All the best to you mate,
Victor

Alan - Mirror Man and Tristar like this post

Back to top Go down
Tristar
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Tristar

PostSubject: Re: Equipment Recommendations    Equipment Recommendations  Icon_minitimeWed Aug 12, 2020 9:02 pm

Oooo! I’ll take a look!😉😆

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Equipment Recommendations    Equipment Recommendations  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Equipment Recommendations
Page 1 of 1