Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» New call sign request (Issued)
Was the C&G RAE easier than today’s amateur radio exams? Icon_minitimeToday at 7:57 pm by spod

» 11m conditions
Was the C&G RAE easier than today’s amateur radio exams? Icon_minitimeToday at 4:50 pm by glenn dog

» Greetings from Fife, New call sign request (Issued)
Was the C&G RAE easier than today’s amateur radio exams? Icon_minitimeToday at 3:42 pm by Jazzscot

» Intruduction & call sign request (Issued)
Was the C&G RAE easier than today’s amateur radio exams? Icon_minitimeToday at 3:19 pm by GaryWilson

» HF Contacts 15m
Was the C&G RAE easier than today’s amateur radio exams? Icon_minitimeToday at 7:42 am by SangueG

» Store bought antenna to use with baofeng t1 mini handy
Was the C&G RAE easier than today’s amateur radio exams? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:28 pm by Razz229

» Antron 99 install loads of noise
Was the C&G RAE easier than today’s amateur radio exams? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 4:50 pm by glenn dog

» EU conditions have started
Was the C&G RAE easier than today’s amateur radio exams? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 4:48 pm by glenn dog

» Hi new to this group just checkn in...
Was the C&G RAE easier than today’s amateur radio exams? Icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2024 10:47 pm by John123

Keywords
6900 display list frequency sign software meter call yaesu power 2023 2022 Baofeng president supply anytone ss9900 Sirio Mobile chart Mckinley callsign ALINCO lincoln antenna 9900
QRZ Database

Was the C&G RAE easier than today’s amateur radio exams?

Go down 
+4
Gavala
Tim Tom
Victor
Alan Pilot
8 posters
AuthorMessage

Was the C&G RAE easier than today’s amateur radio exams? Empty
PostSubject: Was the C&G RAE easier than today’s amateur radio exams?   Was the C&G RAE easier than today’s amateur radio exams? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 25, 2020 8:17 pm

Essex Ham looks at the old City and Guilds Radio Amateurs Exam and compares it to today's 3-tier system

They note:
• 52% of the RAE exam would be covered off in today’s Foundation
• 34% would today be classed as Intermediate
• 14%, mostly electronics theory, would fall under “Full”

Read the Essex Ham article at
https://www.essexham.co.uk/rae-exam-reviewed.html

You can find out more about the free Essex Ham Foundation Online training course and register to join at
https://www.essexham.co.uk/train/foundation-online/

You can follow Essex Ham on Twitter at
https://twitter.com/EssexHam
Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: Was the C&G RAE easier than today’s amateur radio exams?   Was the C&G RAE easier than today’s amateur radio exams? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 26, 2020 6:23 am

This is the same post but on another site.... (Remove link if not allowed) .....
https://www.transmission1.net/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=58395

Tim Tom likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Was the C&G RAE easier than today’s amateur radio exams?   Was the C&G RAE easier than today’s amateur radio exams? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 26, 2020 7:03 am

Thanks for that Mark.

I'm sick to the back teeth of those exclaiming that the 'Foundation' is too easy, or the quips about "handing out licences to CBers", "Free in a box of cereal", "Collect tokens from a crisp packet", etc.  Rolling Eyes
It does nothing but belittle those trying to take up the radio hobby and makes the efforts of people, usually volunteers helping others to get their licence, devalued in some way.

Nice to see the 'evidence' presented in a more thoughtful way.

Here's to the likes of Pete and Essex Ham, the scores of volunteers, the RSGB efforts and especially to the exam invigilators who make todays Radio Amateur licencing possible. 👏

John123, MarcFX, saltire and Tim Tom like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Tim Tom
Contributor
Contributor
Tim Tom

Call Sign : 26-SW-010 / 26-TM-087
Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : Somerset
Equipment Used : Kernow beta 4100 mobile for now...

PostSubject: Re: Was the C&G RAE easier than today’s amateur radio exams?   Was the C&G RAE easier than today’s amateur radio exams? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 26, 2020 12:03 pm

The people who spout such rubbish of "Foundation licences come free with a pack of corn flakes" are also the same idiots who complain that the hobby is dying.

MarcFX and Victor like this post

Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: Was the C&G RAE easier than today’s amateur radio exams?   Was the C&G RAE easier than today’s amateur radio exams? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 26, 2020 12:14 pm

Tim Tom wrote:
The people who spout such rubbish of "Foundation licences come free with a pack of corn flakes" are also the same idiots who complain that the hobby is dying.
Very true.

Back to top Go down
Gavala
Gavala

Call Sign : M7GRC
QTH or Location : Hampshire UK
Equipment Used : Yeasu FTM400XDR / Anytone 878+

PostSubject: Re: Was the C&G RAE easier than today’s amateur radio exams?   Was the C&G RAE easier than today’s amateur radio exams? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 27, 2020 10:53 pm

Victor wrote:

It does nothing but belittle those trying to take up the radio.....

Funny you say this Victor and I think you know I'm on the same side of the fence as I come from CB starting back in '79.

I joined a local club a month back and today I spotted some post text I wish I hadn't on the club forum when one individual relates to the the levels of amateur license as: "novice, intermediate and full".

I'll tell you something I never normally speak of to explain how I feel about this kind of 'acclaimed superiority'
My parents were amateur photographers as well as having their careers. They tried to teach me but I was too interested in girls and my CB, however it must be in the genes as I took it up in my 30's and joined a club. One year later they made me chairman having won several trophies including image of the year which blew the club and many many pro photographers out of the water. As chairman I nursed every new member and basically handed all decisions to a show of hands by its members  both new and old, something the committee disapproved of very much.
That year we won the trophy of all trophies involving a panel of 7 images, 4 of which were all from new members, one only had a camera phone, and we won. The old members with thousands of pounds of equipment and membership history shrugged it off as a fluke so we went on and won another, and another... I resigned the end of that year and never went back.

1 Year later I'm the official photographer to a rock concert promoter and on stage with AC/DC, Pink Floyd, Santana, Slayer, Fleetwood Mac and ZZ Top to name a few. And I mean the ONLY photographer allowed on stage by order of the promoter, the rest had to suck it in the press pit.

3 Years since picking up a camera I found myself stood side stage looking over the audience somewhere in Greece thinking about them old stalwarts back home, probably kicking more newcomers by the shin to show who's boss.

All hobbies and arts need new blood and need to be nurtured and not hindered. A person can't see this if they've already been in the fold for so long. They need a good shin kicking from the newcomers who should and MUST show a new style of how this sh*t can be done.

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Was the C&G RAE easier than today’s amateur radio exams?   Was the C&G RAE easier than today’s amateur radio exams? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 28, 2020 10:18 am

Yep, I've hear the 'novice' term used quite a bit and then usually followed by a less than heartfelt apology for the 'mistake'. Some consider it a semantics error.... Rolling Eyes

All I can suggest is that we do our very best to simply ignore the naysayers, (easier said than done!), and get on with things. For far too long I avoided the Amateur Radio route due to such people but so glad things changed enough for me to get back into it. I must say that I've been so happy to finally hold my Radio Amateur licence and take the 'Foundation' titling with pride. (Nothing can stand without a firm foundation!)

'Gavala' your photography story was very inspiring and shows that we can achieve great things despite such obstacles.

MarcFX likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
MarcFX
MarcFX

Call Sign : 26CT2627, M7ARQ, 2E0GKF
QTH or Location : North Somerset
Equipment Used : GrantII (Standard), CRT SS9900, FT817ND, UV5R (x2), GD-77 (x2), TYT UV9000E, ANYTONE AT-D578UV, I-COM IC-705.

PostSubject: Re: Was the C&G RAE easier than today’s amateur radio exams?   Was the C&G RAE easier than today’s amateur radio exams? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 06, 2020 9:20 pm

Some people forget that we all have to learn!

I have passed both my Foundation (in January) and Intermediate (last week) and would not have achieved either without a considerable amount of study.
One of the main mantras of the hobby is supposed to be to encourage, aid and add to the knowledge of those new to it. In the main I believe this to be the case. Unfortunately there will always be a few who take a more elitist view.

I would never put anyone off doing foundation, it's worth it just to get on the air.
Many only ever take the Foundation, and that's OK if it's all they want. It's a hobby.

Best of luck to anyone doing any level. I hope they achieve their goals.

In answer to the question posed by the OP. It would seem that it was far less technical, but you have to take into account the advances in technology and understanding of the science.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Was the C&G RAE easier than today’s amateur radio exams?   Was the C&G RAE easier than today’s amateur radio exams? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 13, 2020 4:01 pm

The debate about licence levels has been going on for years even before the FL was thought about., going back to the change from written exam to City & Guilds multiple choice also A and B licence days.
It is load of old Bollox.
You are all radio amateurs no matter the level, just please all live together and enjoy the hobby as it should be we are all supposed to be equals are we not.
Mark,
Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

PostSubject: Re: Was the C&G RAE easier than today’s amateur radio exams?   Was the C&G RAE easier than today’s amateur radio exams? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 13, 2020 4:08 pm

STARSHIP wrote:
The debate about licence levels has been going on for years even before the FL was thought about., going back to the change from written exam to City & Guilds multiple choice also A and B licence days.
It is load of old Bollox.
You are all radio amateurs no matter the level, just please all live together and enjoy the hobby as it should be we are all supposed to be equals are we not.
Mark,
+1
Back to top Go down
53 Prefect
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
53 Prefect

Call Sign : VA3XUK & G6ZGU
Times Thanked : 6
QTH or Location : Oro Medonte, Ontario
Equipment Used : Icom, Kenwood, Uniden, Stalker

PostSubject: Re: Was the C&G RAE easier than today’s amateur radio exams?   Was the C&G RAE easier than today’s amateur radio exams? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 05, 2021 4:28 pm

Back in the early 80's, I decided I wanted my ticket. Enrolled with the local college that ran the course. 1st evening there was told the it should be a 2 year course, but he could break it down into a year. I say a year, when in fact it was sept to June.  so around 10 months. 
At the time some of the older established hams were complaining back then on how easy it was compared to the days before cars were invented. 10 months, once a night at college? I could not bear the thought. There was no beer there, and all my mates were at the pub! So, I found out the the Rapid Results college, a study at home college, offered the course.
So I called them, they informed me, they send out the next book after you complete the previous one. Until you are finished. I told them I wanted to cram it, and wanted the books in one go. They agreed, and the books arrived. 
So, 2 weeks before the exam, I crammed every night. Took the exam, passed and got my call. G6ZGU.
So, any of those guys from the early 80's tell you it was harder back in their day, tell em G6ZGU read the books for 2 weeks and passed the RAE.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
43CT016
Major contributor
Major contributor
43CT016

Call Sign : 43-CT-016
Times Thanked : 22
QTH or Location : Perth
Equipment Used : iCom IC-7610/IC-9700/IC-705

PostSubject: Re: Was the C&G RAE easier than today’s amateur radio exams?   Was the C&G RAE easier than today’s amateur radio exams? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 06, 2021 12:37 am

Tim Tom wrote:

and the ones doing nothing to help.
Back to top Go down
Seasick
Contributor
Contributor
Seasick

QTH or Location : Norfolk
Equipment Used : Uniden BCT 15X

PostSubject: Re: Was the C&G RAE easier than today’s amateur radio exams?   Was the C&G RAE easier than today’s amateur radio exams? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 06, 2021 11:11 am

From what little I have seen, the current exam covers a lot more ground, than mine did. I was at school when I took my exam, following a year of evening classes at collage. I was the only teenager there & the only person without an employment or military background in electronics. 

The Essex Ham link compares a modern, multi choice C&G exam, with the current system. But I am sure if you asked  any licensee who passed their exam in the 80's, or beyond, what was said about their multi choice G&G. You will find it's the same as is being said now, about the current system.  

I certainly heard many a grip about the allegedly much easier multi choice C&G multi choice exams & how it was letting undesirable (non technical) people into the hobby. Apparently the multi choice C&G was so easy that even CB'ers were passing it Mad affraid affraid

I know very little about the current 3 level system, but from what I have seen it looks to be designed to act like an old apprenticeship. When you started out knowing nothing & learned by a mixture of being around the trades, doing it yourself & via classroom training. 

My dictionary says a novice is someone new to & inexperienced in something. My thesaurus give the following among the alternative words for novice. Amateur, trainee & apprentice.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

PostSubject: Re: Was the C&G RAE easier than today’s amateur radio exams?   Was the C&G RAE easier than today’s amateur radio exams? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 06, 2021 3:34 pm

I have done both over the years (don't ask) and from memory i found the foundation a bit harder but that's just me.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Was the C&G RAE easier than today’s amateur radio exams?   Was the C&G RAE easier than today’s amateur radio exams? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Was the C&G RAE easier than today’s amateur radio exams?
Page 1 of 1