Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» CT Call Sign Request - Accrington (Issued)
Any recommendations Icon_minitimeToday at 10:41 am by John123

» hi, I am Indonesia cb ers. my callsign JZ10JEN ..I want have dx callsign.. (Information requested)
Any recommendations Icon_minitimeToday at 10:31 am by John123

» CT CALLSIGN APPLICATION
Any recommendations Icon_minitimeToday at 10:30 am by John123

» New callsing request
Any recommendations Icon_minitimeToday at 10:28 am by John123

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
Any recommendations Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:11 pm by John H

» New call sign request (Issued)
Any recommendations Icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:00 pm by spod

» Antron 99 install loads of noise
Any recommendations Icon_minitimeYesterday at 5:03 pm by Nightprowler

» EU conditions have started
Any recommendations Icon_minitimeYesterday at 3:18 pm by babis3g

» SSTV v Contest Stations
Any recommendations Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:59 am by MM0IMC

Keywords
lincoln supply frequency antenna sign Sirio software list anytone power Mckinley meter 9900 callsign display yaesu 6900 Baofeng ss9900 chart 2023 president call 2022 Mobile ALINCO
QRZ Database

Any recommendations

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
TJS 26CT3029
Contributor
Contributor
TJS 26CT3029

Call Sign : 26-CT-3029
Times Thanked : 6
QTH or Location : Dudley
Equipment Used : CTR SS6900 cobra 29 ltd st Fidelity CB 3000FM Ham international multimode 2 Imax 2000

Any recommendations Empty
PostSubject: Any recommendations   Any recommendations Icon_minitimeThu Jan 07, 2021 2:45 pm

Hi just doing my foundation course hopefully pass my test just looking recommendations on a good handheld cant put any new antenna just now so its handheld for now Thx

Alan - Mirror Man likes this post

Back to top Go down
morris
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
morris

Call Sign : 26-CT-11111
Times Thanked : 5
QTH or Location : Kent

PostSubject: Re: Any recommendations   Any recommendations Icon_minitimeThu Jan 07, 2021 4:24 pm

Hello,i went for the yaesu Ft4XE, only used it for accessing the local 70cm repeater thus far, have had good reports with it, it`s cheap and chearful, easy to programme and has a better  quality feel compared to the baofeng handhelds. The down side is i can`t find a battery eliminator for it to use in the jam jar, i like it because it`s simple to use, but then i have not much to compare it with.

all the best

John

TJS 26CT3029 and Alan - Mirror Man like this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Any recommendations   Any recommendations Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2021 7:34 am

I had my very first QSO using my new Ham callsign with a VHF/UHF handheld! Smile

Not that it wasn't fraught with difficulties....

I had use of an Intek K890, pretty much a Baofeng under a different brand. It's standard audio is quite poor but an external mic improved that to the point of people no longer being able to 'guess' that it's a 'Chinesium', (or in other words not a Yaesu/Icom/Motorola etc...!?!)

My broadband router would open the squelch and wipe out reception on the damn thing! Poor radio front end? Maybe, but a Yaesu didn't prove much better in the vicinity of the router either. The final solution was upgrading the router cables from the poor ones supplied by the provider to decent Cat5e cables and then that particular source of interference went away!

With the standard mounted short antenna reception/transmission was difficult, to the point that I could only get reliable transmission hanging out of the back bedroom window, (how I eventually achieved my first QSO!) It was great in the outdoors such as my back garden but at that time with winter rapidly approaching and constant rain it was an uncomfortable experience. With a leg disability it was none too practical to get out of the house anytime I wanted to try VHF/UHF either!

I did try harder, especially after some offers of making contact by Charlie Tango members, (Hi Trev! Smile Thanks for trying mate and my apologies for always seeming to miss you!), but had poor experiences. On one occasion another Ham answered my calls, despite calling for someone else, then went on to make a multiple repeater time-out twenty minute over! It had started to rain during that, ahem, QSO(?), so I signed off and went back in the dry of the house. On another occasion I 'joined' a net, sat in the cold listening to every over and despite freezing my butt off was never called in?!?! Perhaps they 'forgot' me? But it wasn't a great experience either.

So after all that I pretty much resigned myself to the warmth of my shack and the HF set.... Wink

I may try VHF/UHF again in the future, but only with a decent homebase antenna or until our local repeaters ever get back up and running again. There are digital 'modes', some of the local repeaters are unfortunately digital only, so you'd require a digital mode radio although some of those modes are voice based. Weird when GB3PI's female voiced computer announces a 'node connection' and someone from a different part of the country or even different part of the world starts talking! Maybe of interest to some, but not for me personally.

You may have better luck than I did, if you go that route I do hope you get to enjoy it better than myself. You might appreciate the 'repeater' world, but could also find it a little lacklustre, who knows? Personally I'm glad I didn't splash out money on something I didn't find, for me anyway, very radio rewarding.

My own future inclination may be a homebase setup or a transvertor for my HF rig to try out 2m SSB.

In the meantime the handheld sits in its charging cradle.....probably for the next time my Grandson can visit and brings his walkie Wink

Good luck with your exams! 
Although my own experience may seem a poor example you do get a lot of radio world to explore once you're a Ham. You can try out different bands, frequencies and modes and settle on something you enjoy.

All the best,
Victor

morris, 43CT016, TJS 26CT3029 and Alan - Mirror Man like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
43CT016
Major contributor
Major contributor
43CT016

Call Sign : 43-CT-016
Times Thanked : 22
QTH or Location : Perth
Equipment Used : iCom IC-7610/IC-9700/IC-705

PostSubject: Re: Any recommendations   Any recommendations Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2021 11:10 am

Unless you want a HT anyway, I would try and go a mobile radio and sort an internal antenna....a home made or bought 1/4wave, or a delta loop, or similar....nice and small on 2m.

Even if you get a HT, I'd still make a better antenna for it, otherwise unless you live on top of a repeater, a HT inside a house is going to be as frustrating as Victor's post would suggest!  With a HT, a home made slimjim type antenna from a bit of ladder line is also an option, and would hang nicely when in use, and roll-up when not.

Here in the house or garden, I cannot get a single repeater on either band on any of my HT's....but plug them into the x.6000 on the roof, and I can hit repeaters 40km away with ease.

HT wise, grab an analogue iCom or Yaesu (Or Kenwood if you can find one) to start with.  I know this will upset people, but unless you're after DMR, don't bother with the Chinese stuff.  False economy, IMHO.

Victor, TJS 26CT3029 and Alan - Mirror Man like this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Any recommendations   Any recommendations Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2021 11:42 am

Nice info there Jeff.

I've got to admit I did have better luck with my experiments with a slim jim and 1/4 GP, (so easy to make yourself from bits of wire), and then could hit the repeater easier indoors. By then the 'allure' of repeater work had died unfortunately.

If I do ever re-explore that path myself it would probably be a mobile radio as you suggest and just use it as a homebase setup.

Some nice info for you there John. Again, best of luck with your exam, a whole world awaits you! Smile

glenn dog, TJS 26CT3029 and Alan - Mirror Man like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Gast

PostSubject: Re: Any recommendations   Any recommendations Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2021 11:54 am

why not QRP like Yaesu FT-817? they have indoor antennas for it, its for HF/VHF/UHF, you can use an indoor LOOP antenna or MFJ 1899T for example.

good luck with the exam!
Back to top Go down
TJS 26CT3029
Contributor
Contributor
TJS 26CT3029

Call Sign : 26-CT-3029
Times Thanked : 6
QTH or Location : Dudley
Equipment Used : CTR SS6900 cobra 29 ltd st Fidelity CB 3000FM Ham international multimode 2 Imax 2000

PostSubject: Re: Any recommendations   Any recommendations Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2021 2:02 pm

Always good advice guys something to look in to  Smile

glenn dog, Victor and Alan - Mirror Man like this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Any recommendations   Any recommendations Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Any recommendations
Page 1 of 1