Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Hi new to this group just checkn in...
SDR Antenna options??? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:47 pm by John123

» new call sign (Issued)
SDR Antenna options??? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:42 pm by John123

» CT call sign request (Information requested)
SDR Antenna options??? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:40 pm by John123

» CB antenna/ PMR antenna compatibility question.
SDR Antenna options??? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:13 pm by Razz229

» Southern Area and South Coast SSB Net
SDR Antenna options??? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:42 pm by Razz229

»  baofeng t1 mini handy users uk
SDR Antenna options??? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 2:59 pm by Izzi

» Store bought antenna to use with baofeng t1 mini handy
SDR Antenna options??? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 2:20 pm by Izzi

» Antron 99 install loads of noise
SDR Antenna options??? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 1:57 pm by micscave

» HF Contacts 15m
SDR Antenna options??? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:11 am by VanRougeT4

Keywords
2022 Baofeng chart ss9900 president callsign lincoln display sign 2023 frequency ALINCO Mckinley Sirio yaesu anytone supply power meter 9900 call list Mobile 6900 software antenna
QRZ Database

SDR Antenna options???

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Duncan Recknell

Call Sign : DGR
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Thurcroft, Rotherham
Equipment Used : CRT SS 6900N

SDR Antenna options??? Empty
PostSubject: SDR Antenna options???   SDR Antenna options??? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 28, 2021 11:34 am

I have a SDRPlay and would really like to monitor the CB and 11m DX channels. Is there a preferred scanner antenna that members use? Looking at the Scanmaster HF Active, any good? Or what would be a better option??

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SDR Antenna options???   SDR Antenna options??? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 29, 2021 7:37 am

Hi Duncan,  I don't have SDRplay at Home but do have a Icom IC-R30 Scanner, for this I have a Scanmaster D1300 at the Home QTH on a pole. Also in the car I use a Skyscan MK2 which has a Magmount base but can be used as a desktop antenna also. I have had good results with both, and as they are very Wideband RX will cover your SDRplay Frequencies. I suppose if you are just monitoring HF Bands then a more specific antenna like the one you mention, may out perform a very wide banded one? Cheers Tony
Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: SDR Antenna options???   SDR Antenna options??? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 29, 2021 7:47 am

Hi Duncan,

Just checking on unanswered postings and came across yours and although not an expert on SDR I'll do my best to provide whatever help I can.

I see you have a 6900 CB radio listed on your equipment so do you have this setup as a home base unit or mobile? 
The reason I ask is that if you have a home base antenna you could try hooking it up to your SDR and see if you get any improvement on reception compared to whatever antenna you currently use for it.

You're bound to come across arguments that it will 'overload' the front end of the SDR, (signals too strong), but others will argue the resonance of such an antenna will improve reception to those frequencies of interest. I'm with the latter argument only because most of the web based SDR sites that tune CB frequencies tend to utilise a CB antenna for such activities. (A simple half wave CB antenna seems to be popular.)

You don't state as to why you want to make such a setup but I have seen examples where a SDR is used to scan the bands on home base antennas and when activity is found they use an antenna switch, (manual or automatic), to switch over to their transceiver to then broadcast to what they were hearing. Sort of like putting a pan-adapter onto a radio that doesn't have one. I can also see it as a handy thing to check the CB bands for activity due to propagation as the 'mid-band' or often used European frequencies see activity way before the usual 'triple 5', (27.555MHz).

You'll probably find a CB antenna setup will improve your SDR reception on other frequencies too compared to the tiny antennas usually used on such setups.

Anyway, 'batting it out there' for you more than anything else. I hope you find a solution for what you are trying to do. Smile

If anything it's peaked my interest in giving me thoughts on a SDR to scan Amateur 2m VHF activity on my own setup. That way I won't have four radios on the go checking two repeaters, FM and SSB calling frequencies!!! SDR Antenna options??? 1f44d 

All the best,
Victor
Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: SDR Antenna options???   SDR Antenna options??? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 29, 2021 7:50 am

Ah, so much for 'unanswered' Wink

Well done Tony. SDR Antenna options??? 1f44d

Paddy likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SDR Antenna options???   SDR Antenna options??? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

SDR Antenna options???
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum :: Help and Discussion Forums :: Scanner Discussion-
Jump to: