Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
Whats all this FT 8 stuff then ?  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:49 pm by SangueG

» CW sidesweeper, new project
Whats all this FT 8 stuff then ?  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 4:13 pm by karelgol

» Swedish Repeater on Ch20 Mid
Whats all this FT 8 stuff then ?  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 1:29 pm by Vasilis

» CRT SS 9900 V4
Whats all this FT 8 stuff then ?  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:57 am by babis3g

» Moved from Introductions
Whats all this FT 8 stuff then ?  Icon_minitimeTue Apr 30, 2024 11:43 pm by babis3g

» Mr Macmillan (Information requested)
Whats all this FT 8 stuff then ?  Icon_minitimeTue Apr 30, 2024 11:07 pm by John123

» Southern Area and South Coast SSB Net
Whats all this FT 8 stuff then ?  Icon_minitimeTue Apr 30, 2024 8:52 pm by Razz229

» New member (Issued)
Whats all this FT 8 stuff then ?  Icon_minitimeTue Apr 30, 2024 7:43 pm by GaryWilson

» 27.555 usb from a longwire
Whats all this FT 8 stuff then ?  Icon_minitimeTue Apr 30, 2024 1:45 pm by stephen Gunrunner

Keywords
ss9900 2023 Mckinley president power 6900 9900 supply call meter Baofeng chart yaesu list frequency sign Sirio display anytone 2022 lincoln ALINCO software antenna Mobile callsign
QRZ Database

Whats all this FT 8 stuff then ?

Go down 
+7
muffie02
Barramundi
Alan Pilot
Ivy Mike
Victor
SangueG
Howard
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Howard
Contributor
Contributor

Call Sign : 26-CT-4319
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Aylesbury
Equipment Used : Ic7300

Whats all this FT 8 stuff then ?  Empty
PostSubject: Whats all this FT 8 stuff then ?    Whats all this FT 8 stuff then ?  Icon_minitimeWed Nov 03, 2021 11:27 pm

Hi all 
Well I've just started getting into the FT8 side of things on the radio some say it's boring and some say they can take it or leave it 
What's everyones else opinion on it ?

Victor, Alan - Mirror Man and Uncle P like this post

Back to top Go down
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

Call Sign : 26-CT-3971 / 2E0LMI
Times Thanked : 68
QTH or Location : Cirencester, Gloucestershire
Equipment Used : Little radios, home-made antennas

PostSubject: Re: Whats all this FT 8 stuff then ?    Whats all this FT 8 stuff then ?  Icon_minitimeThu Nov 04, 2021 8:29 am

Hi Howard. It's not for me (at the moment). It's not that I am disinterested in data modes, I have experimented in the past, first in early '80s by CB using ZX Speccys over FM to close friends which was a about 30 secs for a line of BASIC.

Bit of fun, but for me I prefer picking up a mic and using normal speech. I use computers enough as it is, the radio is a bit of break from them. I am not a phone texter either, I think I sent 3 last month. I have whatsapp, but only there if someone needs to send me something from work. Not saying I will never use FT8 or other data modes, I am sure it will be very useful later on if my hearing worsens, as will CW as there are many decoders out there.. my G90 even does.

I know I am in the minority though as have glanced at many people's QRZ pages and most are full of FT8 contacts. Many are having great fun with it, hope you do too.

Victor, Alan - Mirror Man, Uncle P and Malfred like this post

Back to top Go down
https://station-master.online/2E0LMI
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Whats all this FT 8 stuff then ?    Whats all this FT 8 stuff then ?  Icon_minitimeThu Nov 04, 2021 11:02 am

Hi Howard,

Figuring FT8 out and building my own interface to run on my ancient Yaesu FT757gx with Linux was fun.

I quickly got bored after then...but that was just me. Wink

I admit it's impressive and I managed an early contact with my power turned down to a little over 1 Watt all the way to Iceland....with a wire dipole mounted in the loft for 40m(!) After that it all felt a little bit of a 'collecting' call signs exercise and 'pin-points' in a map affair.

As with everything Amateur Radio there's a little of something for everyone and you find what you personally enjoy.
(I also can't stand "CQ Competition" & "5/9 QRZ" Very Happy)

But then I do enjoy building and repairing stuff......and I often employ FT8 reception reports with PSK Reporter to check results of antennas I've built and receivers I've repaired.....

So definitely something for everyone. Whats all this FT 8 stuff then ?  1f44d 

Anyway, isn't FT4 the 'new kid on the block'?
Weirdly I've seen more RTTY transmissions recently and I thought that had died a long time ago. Wink

I'm all for everyone doing what makes them happy.
I don't like Marmite but my wife does so there's always some in the cupboard regardless...we just don't argue about it.

Great posting, looking forward to hearing from the digi-mode fans and see what's in it for them.

Just like how I still smile at the Missus when she's got black tar teeth from her morning toast & Marmite.
(I just don't kiss her for a while! Very Happy )

All the best,
Victor

Alan - Mirror Man, SangueG and Uncle P like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Ivy Mike
Major contributor
Major contributor
Ivy Mike

Call Sign : 26CT4113/G1HWY
Times Thanked : 12
QTH or Location : IO90uv
Equipment Used : ICOM radios/antenna farm

PostSubject: Re: Whats all this FT 8 stuff then ?    Whats all this FT 8 stuff then ?  Icon_minitimeSun Nov 07, 2021 6:42 am

I'm an FT8/FT4 fan, in fact it's my only mode apart from SSB on QO-100.

If you have a bad location, poor antennas or run QRP, it really helps to get DX.
You can work stuff when there is no normal propagation and you don't have to
sit there shouting your head off, good if you don't want to disturb everyone.

It actually got me back into radio after a 10year break.

Victor, Alan - Mirror Man and Uncle P like this post

Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: Whats all this FT 8 stuff then ?    Whats all this FT 8 stuff then ?  Icon_minitimeSun Nov 07, 2021 7:31 am

Like Victor i tried it well it was Victor's adventure into it that made me have a go.
Lucky for me i had the 991a so it took no time to get it running but after a few hours i gave up with.
Then an old m8 got his licence and we got talking about ft-8 and gave it another go.
My m8 took some time to get it running on hid ft-450 buying the cheapest kit he could find to connect the radio to his pc and then a day or 2 getting it running.
Well that was it we both have run ft-8 daily for months now but the strange thing is it is only on the odd time we can see each other on it but that's radio for you we live about 20 miles as the crow flies but 2m band is the only contact we can use.
With my 10w i have made contacts round the world and many using 5w can't turn my radio any lower
Marmite it is 100%.

Victor and Uncle P like this post

Back to top Go down
Howard
Contributor
Contributor

Call Sign : 26-CT-4319
QTH or Location : Aylesbury
Equipment Used : Ic7300

PostSubject: Re: Whats all this FT 8 stuff then ?    Whats all this FT 8 stuff then ?  Icon_minitimeSun Nov 07, 2021 8:53 am

Good to see that there are a mixture of people who like and dislike it I get a better overall picture on what this ft8 is all about.ive got it up and running now on the icom 7300 and if I'm honest I don't mind it but then again in in to tech stuff and I think that it gives everybody the chance to DX even when the conditions are poor and also people who suffer from bad qrm or they can't have massive antennas up at there qth.
Anyway it's early days at the minute but I do like watching also on the gridtracker software where I'm being seen in the world.
73 chaps

Alan - Mirror Man, Ivy Mike and Uncle P like this post

Back to top Go down
Ivy Mike
Major contributor
Major contributor
Ivy Mike

PostSubject: Re: Whats all this FT 8 stuff then ?    Whats all this FT 8 stuff then ?  Icon_minitimeSun Nov 07, 2021 2:38 pm

Don't forget FT4 as well, New Caledonia popped up this morning on 20metres, 14.080.

Half a dozen calls and a new country in the bag.
Confirmed in QRZ and LOTW. Very Happy

Alan - Mirror Man and Uncle P like this post

Back to top Go down
Barramundi
Barramundi

Call Sign : 43-CT-015
QTH or Location : Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Equipment Used : Uniden Washington, Yaesu 450D, Yaesu 857D. My home QTH antenna you wouldn’t believe me if I told you, my mobile antenna is a Terlin Outbacker Multitap to cover from 10-80 mtrs

PostSubject: Re: Whats all this FT 8 stuff then ?    Whats all this FT 8 stuff then ?  Icon_minitimeTue Dec 21, 2021 3:58 am

I haven’t tried FT8 it looks like a hoot but still prefer the good old mic and QSO, I would possibly get involved if I could try before I purchased the hardware to run off the 450D but just don’t want to outlay the cash for something that the jury is still out re enjoyment for me, I can see the excitement though with the multitudes of contacts and areas of the world with the barest of equipment.

Back to top Go down
muffie02

Call Sign : 26ct333
QTH or Location : plymouth uk
Equipment Used : legal cb

PostSubject: Re: Whats all this FT 8 stuff then ?    Whats all this FT 8 stuff then ?  Icon_minitimeWed Jan 19, 2022 3:53 pm

like packet radio and all the "wonder modes " before it - ft8 will die a death  - its not proper  radio imo its  computers talking to computers USING  radio - flipping stuff is ruining amateur radio - i've come back to cb  because of it - i want to talk to someone  and NOT  just "ur 59 goodbye "  - or "ur 59 - oxxx - good luck in the contest - qrz "  - so FT8 ??  nah KEEP IT OFF CB  imo !!

Alan - Mirror Man likes this post

Back to top Go down
Barramundi
Barramundi

Call Sign : 43-CT-015
QTH or Location : Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Equipment Used : Uniden Washington, Yaesu 450D, Yaesu 857D. My home QTH antenna you wouldn’t believe me if I told you, my mobile antenna is a Terlin Outbacker Multitap to cover from 10-80 mtrs

PostSubject: Re: Whats all this FT 8 stuff then ?    Whats all this FT 8 stuff then ?  Icon_minitimeWed Jan 19, 2022 9:17 pm

Hi All

Hope you are all well and having fun on radio, I have used FT8 and it is what it is I don’t enjoy it although you can tell everybody who will listen that you have all these contacts from all over the world on a couple of watts. It’s excellent if you just want to fill up your log which can be done extremely quickly but as a few have said here radio to me whether amateur or CB is all about the spoken word not some machine or node ticking away in the background while I mow the lawn or sleep.

73’s 

Your Ozzie Mate.

43CT015

Back to top Go down
Wireless
Major contributor
Major contributor

QTH or Location : Shrewsbury
Equipment Used : kit

PostSubject: Re: Whats all this FT 8 stuff then ?    Whats all this FT 8 stuff then ?  Icon_minitimeWed Jan 19, 2022 11:26 pm

I'll be using either PC-ALE or JS8Call, but only to provide a 24/7 link in a Network, although I will occasionally switch all that off and get on the Mic for a local contact on HF (he lives in a bit of a valley surrounded on almost all sides), and is completely shielded from me in my direction by the South Shropshire Hills.

However, it looks like my friend can get into a 6m Repeater at Tenbury Wells, and using SCADACore is appears I'm line of sight with that one, so there's a possibility we might get communications that way.

I'm also not really one for Competitions, although I have operated on Canal Boats Portable in the past at various Canal Basins whilst on holiday, using Inverted V's, and found the FT-847 a little deaf in that respect, apparently I created pile ups for the 3 hours the Gel Pack lasted every evening (charged up during the day off the engine).

As everyone says, there's something for everyone.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Ever tried Js8Call ? Other then FT8 OR FT4, wits Js8 you can start a normal Qso. Try to take a look on 27.245 mhz.    Whats all this FT 8 stuff then ?  Icon_minitimeWed Jan 26, 2022 5:15 pm

Ivy Mike wrote:
Don't forget FT4 as well, New Caledonia popped up this morning on 20metres, 14.080.

Half a dozen calls and a new country in the bag.
Confirmed in QRZ and LOTW. Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Whats all this FT 8 stuff then ?    Whats all this FT 8 stuff then ?  Icon_minitimeWed Jan 26, 2022 5:18 pm

Have you ever tried Js8Call? Listen and look on 27.245 mhz. Other then FT8/FT4 you can start a qso with Js8Call.
Back to top Go down
RadioWavez

Call Sign : 2-CT-210
Times Thanked : 7
QTH or Location : Lexington, Kentucky
Equipment Used : Alinco DX-SR8

PostSubject: Re: Whats all this FT 8 stuff then ?    Whats all this FT 8 stuff then ?  Icon_minitimeFri Jan 28, 2022 2:52 pm

I use JS8Call on 27.245. Around 1300 UTC I start hearing EU stations here in Kentucky. Very good mode for low power or wonky antennas. You can make reliable contacts with a modest station.
Give it a try: JS8Call.com  The software is free.

Back to top Go down
chazwozza
Senior contributor
Senior contributor

Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : England
Equipment Used : Radios

PostSubject: Re: Whats all this FT 8 stuff then ?    Whats all this FT 8 stuff then ?  Icon_minitimeTue May 17, 2022 10:21 pm

Boring pretend radio
Back to top Go down
Uncle P
Uncle P

Call Sign : 26-CT-4640
QTH or Location : Prescot, Merseyside
Equipment Used : Little boxes wi' knobs on and big metal stick thingy

PostSubject: Re: Whats all this FT 8 stuff then ?    Whats all this FT 8 stuff then ?  Icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2022 1:08 pm

FT8? I suppose its up there with trainspotting and car number plates. My brother-in-law swears by it. I think he likes Marmite too strangely. He found it a bit of a pain getting it to work at first but now you cant keep him off it now. When he gets the time, a simple horizontal dipole goes up, a few feet off the ground in the garden. He's on it for hours, sat there watching his Gridtracker. He can't get enough of it. I must admit I like it myself and cant wait to take my Foundation so I can give it a go. 

It has its uses. Its good for people who maybe hard of hearing. Them who have little spare time. The poor sods that live in extremely noisy areas like myself. There are people who like radio but are mic shy for what ever reason, but would love to get into the hobby. Some peeps like to just stick pins in maps. Hey whatever floats ya boat. Its not for everyone but so what. Each to their own. There are so many different areas in this fine hobby of ours. If you don't like doing one thing then you try something else. 

There are a lot of people in the hobby who swear FT8 is not real radio. Is it real radio?

RADIO (definition from Google)

....the transmission and reception of electromagnetic waves of radio frequency, especially those carrying sound messages.

....communicate or send a message by radio.

You still transmit with FT8. You still have to get you're signal out there for others to receive. It still sends messages, very short messages. How is that not real radio? What it isn't is verbal communication, a chinwag, a natter, banter, etc. It doesn't pretend to be but it is still communication just via a different method, and on low power too. What's not to like? And its great on toast. The marmite that is not FT8 Cool 

Enjoy ya radio lads n lasses, in what ever flavour takes your fancy.

73's  Whats all this FT 8 stuff then ?  270c 

Paul
26CT4640
The Static Junkie

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Whats all this FT 8 stuff then ?    Whats all this FT 8 stuff then ?  Icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2022 2:29 pm

Hi Paul,

Great posting there. Whats all this FT 8 stuff then ?  1f44d

Oh how the times have changed and although I still can't stand the Marmite smile on my better half's teeth I've become a big fan of FT8. Wink

Fairly recently, (a couple of months?), I started playing with it all again and could see the potential for my own experiments with antennas and such. Before not too long I wasn't quite hooked enough to be the kiddie in the sweet shop grabbing everything but did start filling my own log book with FT8 contacts.

Just very recently I posted at my thrill of making a first contact to Japan on a measly 5 Watts with my new antenna setup and within a short time I'd also made a contact into the USA. One end of the world to the other on QRP!

(None too shabby with my electric lawnmower lead in the loft as an antenna and now extended with a bit of speaker cable. Wink )

So yeah, different view now but that's the wonderful thing with radio, you can try things out and even revisit them evolving your interests all the time.

Glad you're enjoying the forum Paul and look forward to more postings from you.

I also wish you the very best with your path towards Foundation and gaining your Ham ticket as it's a lot of fun on those extra frequencies. Whats all this FT 8 stuff then ?  1f44d 

All the best,
Victor

Uncle P and KhannaeeM like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Ivy Mike
Major contributor
Major contributor
Ivy Mike

PostSubject: Re: Whats all this FT 8 stuff then ?    Whats all this FT 8 stuff then ?  Icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2022 9:20 pm

Get your ticket and fill your boots. Laughing

Uncle P likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Whats all this FT 8 stuff then ?    Whats all this FT 8 stuff then ?  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Whats all this FT 8 stuff then ?
Page 1 of 1