Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Hi new to this group just checkn in...
6900 - Extra grounding Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:47 pm by John123

» new call sign (Issued)
6900 - Extra grounding Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:42 pm by John123

» CT call sign request (Information requested)
6900 - Extra grounding Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:40 pm by John123

» CB antenna/ PMR antenna compatibility question.
6900 - Extra grounding Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:13 pm by Razz229

» Southern Area and South Coast SSB Net
6900 - Extra grounding Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:42 pm by Razz229

»  baofeng t1 mini handy users uk
6900 - Extra grounding Icon_minitimeYesterday at 2:59 pm by Izzi

» Store bought antenna to use with baofeng t1 mini handy
6900 - Extra grounding Icon_minitimeYesterday at 2:20 pm by Izzi

» Antron 99 install loads of noise
6900 - Extra grounding Icon_minitimeYesterday at 1:57 pm by micscave

» HF Contacts 15m
6900 - Extra grounding Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:11 am by VanRougeT4

Keywords
display lincoln Mckinley Mobile power anytone chart sign list Sirio supply antenna yaesu 9900 president callsign ALINCO call 2023 2022 software 6900 frequency meter Baofeng ss9900
QRZ Database

Extra grounding

Go down 
+5
Tristar
43CT016
Victor
Alan - Mirror Man
Ivy Mike
9 posters
AuthorMessage

6900 - Extra grounding Empty
PostSubject: Extra grounding   6900 - Extra grounding Icon_minitimeSat Nov 13, 2021 10:55 am

Hi everyone,I’m using a Sirio 5/8 wave vertical antenna for homebase and as you you know their D.C grounded.I planning on adding an additional ground to see if this will help with QRM and any static build up even thought it has that fancy cage on the top that only attracts the magpies to sit on.I eventually found out why my tuning tip was slowly getting bent over to one side.
What’s the best way I should add an extra ground as I was thinking of adding a lightening arrestor or a lightening/surge protector and run a earth wire from that to a rod into the ground.What’s you thoughts on that idea or us there something better.
Cheers chaps and have a great weekend.
Tom.
26 CT 4029
Back to top Go down
Ivy Mike
Major contributor
Major contributor
Ivy Mike

Call Sign : 26CT4113/G1HWY
Times Thanked : 12
QTH or Location : IO90uv
Equipment Used : ICOM radios/antenna farm

PostSubject: Re: Extra grounding   6900 - Extra grounding Icon_minitimeSat Nov 13, 2021 11:41 am

Common mode choke might help

Tristar likes this post

Back to top Go down
Alan - Mirror Man
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan - Mirror Man

Call Sign : 108CT233
Times Thanked : 14
QTH or Location : Central Scotland
Equipment Used : CRT SS9900 Beofeng UV5R Yaesu FTDX1200 CRT Micron CRT FP00 Sattelite 2000 antenna ZS6BKW X30 co-linear

PostSubject: Re: Extra grounding   6900 - Extra grounding Icon_minitimeMon Nov 15, 2021 8:21 am

Personally, I am a great believer in grounding and make the effort to ground my station each time I have set one up, in the past I have hammered a copper tube into the ground and connected it with a heavy earthing cable but I am currently using the steel clothes pole/washing pole concreted into the ground and also connected to a redundant heating system (disconnected from the mains).  I found an air choke or ugly balun to be a benefit and I know others have had the same experience if adding radials to improve reception I have found tuned lengths for the desired frequency far more effective than random lengths of wire.

I think this is one of the main issues that has surprised many of us who have returned to radio after a few years away, the amount of static and interference you now get, to help cut this down I turned everything off in the house from the fuse box and running the radio from battery I turned one item on ar a time to identify which electrical items were the worst offenders for causing interference it ended up being two LED lights I was surprised to discover and the addition of ferrite rings to their power leads improved the situation a great deal.

Let us know how you get on

Tristar and welshee like this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Extra grounding   6900 - Extra grounding Icon_minitimeMon Nov 15, 2021 10:35 am

Grounding, Earthing, Bonding - always seems to be a contentious point when it comes to RF.

In the spirit of 'more knowledge can often create more confusion' :-

https://static.dxengineering.com/global/images/technicalarticles/dxe-rgp-scb.pdf

and

http://www.arrl.org/assorted-hints-kinks

For me? I'd go with the Signal Corps solution if running a vertical....

...but I run a dipole system upstairs so there is no 'Earth' just good practices avoiding 'ground loops' and my Personal Computer connections to the radio, (FT8), are totally signal isolated.

Common Mode Choking as suggested above also made a massive difference to my own setup and all my main QRM problems are now gone. (Previously S9+ hash when the bathroom extractor went on! Now it has no effect. 6900 - Extra grounding 1f44d )

I think it's more a case of finding a solution that works for your setup.

Hope you get sorted Tom.

Tristar likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
43CT016
Major contributor
Major contributor
43CT016

Call Sign : 43-CT-016
Times Thanked : 22
QTH or Location : Perth
Equipment Used : iCom IC-7610/IC-9700/IC-705

PostSubject: Re: Extra grounding   6900 - Extra grounding Icon_minitimeMon Nov 15, 2021 12:08 pm

There’s a big difference between earthing/grounding as lightning protection, and just grounding to bleed static or attempting to help with noise.

Personally, I wouldn’t run a vertical without a lightning arrestor and ground rod, so it’s never a bad idea to do that, especially if you can’t always disconnect the antenna in a storm.

Depending on the source of your noise, various chokes may help…..but I’d start by seeing if you can find the source of at least some of the noise.

Paddy likes this post

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Extra grounding   6900 - Extra grounding Icon_minitimeMon Nov 15, 2021 12:41 pm

Thanks 43CT016,You right about using a vertical antenna without a lightening arrestor and one will be added ASAP.I saw knights selling one for £20 and is a lightening arrestor/anti static so I’ll go for that.The reasoning behind the extra grounding is just to try and eradicate some of the bad QRM I suffer from on channels 12,13 and 14 on the mid block.Nowhere else just those 3 channels.Everything is is S2 on a bad day and I can hear a fart at 1000 miles away..lol
Seriously its most probably caused by a neighbour’s bathroom extractor fan or cheap laptop charger which sadly I can’t do much about.On fellow CT member Victors advice I made a common mode choke in the feed line but those 3 channels still seem to be my nemesis.As you can imagine it gets on my nerves as it only suddenly appeared 2-3 months ago,I’ve thought about getting a QRM eliminator but as I’m using a ss 9900 it’s seems not possible because the lack of PTT connection between the two.As I’m not opening up this radio to do a South London bodge job.
Thanks for the advice and hopefully the QRM will disappear as their cheap Chinese charger explodes and the lights go out.
Tom. 26 CT 4029
Back to top Go down
Tristar
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Tristar

Call Sign : 26-CT-3771
Times Thanked : 3
QTH or Location : Weston-super-Mare
Equipment Used : CRT Millennium 3v hand sets, President Barry2

PostSubject: Re: Extra grounding   6900 - Extra grounding Icon_minitimeSun Feb 20, 2022 6:46 pm

Chickenfoot@1987 wrote:
Thanks 43CT016,You right about using a vertical antenna without a lightening arrestor and one will be added ASAP.I saw knights selling one for £20 and is a lightening arrestor/anti static so I’ll go for that.The reasoning behind the extra grounding is just to try and eradicate some of the bad QRM I suffer from on channels 12,13 and 14 on the mid block.Nowhere else just those 3 channels.Everything is is S2 on a bad day and I can hear a fart at 1000 miles away..lol
Seriously its most probably caused by a neighbour’s bathroom extractor fan or cheap laptop charger which sadly I can’t do much about.On fellow CT member Victors advice I made a common mode choke in the feed line but those 3 channels still seem to be my nemesis.As you can imagine it gets on my nerves as it only suddenly appeared 2-3 months ago,I’ve thought about getting a QRM eliminator but as I’m using a ss 9900 it’s seems not possible because the lack of PTT connection between the two.As I’m not opening up this radio to do a South London bodge job.
Thanks for the advice and hopefully the QRM will disappear as their cheap Chinese charger explodes and the lights go out.
Tom. 26 CT 4029

Hi 👋🏻 

I wasn’t sure whether grounding would help but put 2 rods , copper both 4ft lng in my garden. 

One specifically for the 5/8 antenna I was using and the other for any static from the coax at the rig end. 

I wasn’t sure if they would do much although once all connected I noticed a S2 reduction in noise on my meter so I was pleased just with that. 

One evening I was just getting ready to start to play on the radio when I actually saw a curved spark or static charge moving down the coax towards my rig. 

It reached the ground connection I’d put on and disappeared to ground away from my radio!

So I can safely say it works and well worth the effort. 

Even if you don’t see anything it certainly protected my set up that day and will be on every setup I do !

All the best.
Back to top Go down
Blue Boy
Contributor
Contributor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3366
Times Thanked : 2
QTH or Location : North Manchester
Equipment Used : crt 6900n - midland 705d -

PostSubject: Re: Extra grounding   6900 - Extra grounding Icon_minitimeWed May 11, 2022 1:13 pm

Chickenfoot@1987 wrote:
Hi everyone,I’m using a Sirio 5/8 wave vertical antenna for homebase and as you you know their D.C grounded.I planning on adding an additional ground to see if this will help with QRM and any static build up even thought it has that fancy cage on the top that only attracts the magpies to sit on.I eventually found out why my tuning tip was slowly getting bent over to one side.
What’s the best way I should add an extra ground as I was thinking of adding a lightening arrestor or a lightening/surge protector and run a earth wire from that to a rod into the ground.What’s you thoughts on that idea or us there something better.
Tom.
26 CT 4029

Tristar likes this post

Back to top Go down
Telstar
Telstar

Call Sign : 26-CT-3520. Foundation & Intermediate Ham
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Telford, Shropshire
Equipment Used : Uniden 200. SS6900N, Yaesu FT8900, Alinco DX77E, Alinco DX70

PostSubject: Re: Extra grounding   6900 - Extra grounding Icon_minitimeWed May 11, 2022 4:26 pm

I've got a Sirio 5/8 GPE installed for 11 & 10m, as you say it is DC grounded at source and I found that adding additional grounding made no difference to the noise/QRM on my SS6900 or my old Uniden 100 & 200. Whereas my HF Vertical 80m to 10m white fibreglass jobbie is like a great big white straw in the sky sucking in QRM on the 80m down to 40m bands using my Alinco (licensed 'Ham') going horizontal LWEF kills some of the QRM.

Tristar likes this post

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Extra grounding   6900 - Extra grounding Icon_minitimeWed May 11, 2022 10:56 pm

Hello DV1701,I hope your working Dx with your new Sirio GPE as it is a fantastic antenna for the money.Today I worked 158,3,34,29 and 1 divisions all on said Antenna and the propagation on 11 meters wasn’t as stable as I would have liked it to be (there one second and gone the next) But those QSO’s I don’t count.I added a common mode choke to my RG213/U and stuck a 3 feet copper rod into the ground,as you say for added extra grounding,I’ve even added clip on clam type Ferrites to all my cables and coax etc etc.Some days the bands seem ok with hardly any QRM and the next it could be S6-7 and your banging your head on the desk.Sadly it’s just a sign of the times and all we can do is try to guess and eliminate what could be causing the problem.One I did notice on my 6900N is that the RF gain is very sensitive,Maybe too sensitive and draws in every snap,crackle and pop.You find yourself forever adjusting the RF dial..
So let us know how you get on with the GPE,I’m sure your be surprised with what it’s capable of and try to live with the noises on radio modern life brings.

Cheers Tom.
26CT4029
Back to top Go down
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

Call Sign : 26-CT-3971 / 2E0LMI
Times Thanked : 68
QTH or Location : Cirencester, Gloucestershire
Equipment Used : Little radios, home-made antennas

PostSubject: Re: Extra grounding   6900 - Extra grounding Icon_minitimeThu May 12, 2022 8:06 am

Hi Tom. Not wanting to divert from the topic, but just wanted to jump in and ask what time yesterday you managed Ireland? Looks like there might of been a bit of short E skip I've missed. When back home late evenings last few days it has only been 1 and 3 divs in to my QTH and all too faint for me to work.
Back to top Go down
https://station-master.online/2E0LMI

PostSubject: Re: Extra grounding   6900 - Extra grounding Icon_minitimeThu May 12, 2022 1:04 pm

Hello SangueG,It was 29SE366 at 6.25pm on 27.565 USB and his signal was strong at 5/9+10.The sporadic E is definitely upon us as I was also speaking too 3AT282 at 7.55pm,34AB020 at 7.12pm and 158DA711 at 9pm.
I can even hear 2 and 3 divisions past 12am,Don’t you just love Inter G..
Cheers Tom.
26CT4029
Back to top Go down
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

Call Sign : 26-CT-3971 / 2E0LMI
Times Thanked : 68
QTH or Location : Cirencester, Gloucestershire
Equipment Used : Little radios, home-made antennas

PostSubject: Re: Extra grounding   6900 - Extra grounding Icon_minitimeThu May 12, 2022 1:29 pm

Thanks! And yes love a bit of inter G, when it falls on my QTH. ..going to have to try and get myself home a bit earlier I think Laughing

Tristar likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://station-master.online/2E0LMI
Blue Boy
Contributor
Contributor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3366
Times Thanked : 2
QTH or Location : North Manchester
Equipment Used : crt 6900n - midland 705d -

PostSubject: 6900 DC HI   6900 - Extra grounding Icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2022 2:25 pm

Chickenfoot@1987 wrote:
Tom.
26 CT 4029
Sorry mate - couldn't find the topic on the problem with the warning Dc Hi on the 6900.... like I said have same but to a lesser degree I think. There is a menu No.8 TDC which covers the setting aspect of the warning and the default is 10.5 to 16v. I don't know if that is adjustable with the software cable but it seems quite high anyway. You can enter the setting part and select BAT which will show the voltage transmitted on the display. I didn't have any success with a multi meter because my spike that gives the warning lasts for milliseconds. I hope this will help and sorry to put it on here (different subject) but couldn't find the original
Tom 26CT3366
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Extra grounding   6900 - Extra grounding Icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2022 2:52 pm

Thanks Blue Boy for the advice,At the moment until I find a solution I’m just using the radio with the engine not running.
Definitely static mobile..lol
Cheers Tom.
26CT4029
Back to top Go down
chazwozza
Senior contributor
Senior contributor

Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : England
Equipment Used : Radios

PostSubject: Re: Extra grounding   6900 - Extra grounding Icon_minitimeWed Jun 01, 2022 8:06 am

Id earth the mast not the antenna why turn it into a lightning rod
If you wanna help reduce noise as some one else said try an rf choke at the base of the aerial
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Extra grounding   6900 - Extra grounding Icon_minitimeWed Jun 01, 2022 2:23 pm

Exactly right chazwozza,I self tapped a screw into the mast and ran an earth wire down the building and connected to a 3 feet copper grounding rod,Hanmered into the ground (That was the hard part)
Cheers Tom.
26CT4029
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Extra grounding   6900 - Extra grounding Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Extra grounding
Page 1 of 1