Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
radio - Is FT8 really 'killing' Ham Radio? Icon_minitimeToday at 11:59 am by SangueG

» South Coast PMR net report
radio - Is FT8 really 'killing' Ham Radio? Icon_minitimeToday at 8:43 am by Razz229

» Thunderpole Galaxy 5/8 antenna now operational
radio - Is FT8 really 'killing' Ham Radio? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:27 pm by GaryWilson

» CT CALLSIGN APPLICATION (Issued)
radio - Is FT8 really 'killing' Ham Radio? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:44 pm by GaryWilson

» New callsing request (Issued)
radio - Is FT8 really 'killing' Ham Radio? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:38 pm by GaryWilson

» hi, I am Indonesia cb ers. my callsign JZ10JEN ..I want have dx callsign.. (Issued)
radio - Is FT8 really 'killing' Ham Radio? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:43 pm by GaryWilson

» CT Call Sign Request - Accrington (Issued)
radio - Is FT8 really 'killing' Ham Radio? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:41 am by John123

» New call sign request (Issued)
radio - Is FT8 really 'killing' Ham Radio? Icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2024 6:00 pm by spod

» Antron 99 install loads of noise
radio - Is FT8 really 'killing' Ham Radio? Icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2024 5:03 pm by Nightprowler

Keywords
chart yaesu Baofeng power ALINCO Mckinley antenna anytone ss9900 display sign list Mobile supply 9900 6900 callsign Sirio call 2022 president 2023 software meter lincoln frequency
QRZ Database

Is FT8 really 'killing' Ham Radio?

Go down 
+6
Gmonkey
SangueG
Ivy Mike
Wireless
glenn dog
Victor
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

radio - Is FT8 really 'killing' Ham Radio? Empty
PostSubject: Is FT8 really 'killing' Ham Radio?   radio - Is FT8 really 'killing' Ham Radio? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 27, 2022 3:25 pm

Hi All,

Hope you're keeping well and above all enjoying your radio. radio - Is FT8 really 'killing' Ham Radio? 1f44d 

Haven't bored you all for a while with my drivel so my apologies in advance but here goes....

I still often hear in conversation how FT8 is 'killing' Ham Radio and usually from those that don't use such modes or have never even tried them. Often it seems quite true in that you can scan around any one of the Ham bands and hear no transmissions but there is always that whale-song sound of FT8.

Now I tried FT8 myself a while back and although I didn't personally find any 'fun' in it many others have had great success. My initial fun was trying to get the whole shebang running on a 40 year old HF set and an early 2000's PC running Linux, but after that the lack of 'vocal' communication and mouse clicking saw my initial enthusiasm dwindle.

Others however have had great success with many worldwide contacts filling their log books often with less than ideal setups or band conditions and are equally rewarded with a QRZ certificate or other such. Got to be a boon especially for new operators or older ops who now have a diminished setup let alone those that enjoy the maybe 'technical' side of the hobby. Of course others blessed with ideal or better setups may also enjoy it too, but not all of us have the property size for a full sized loop for 160m. Wink

Now I managed to find some raw data to look more closely into this from Michael's G7VJR Clublog site.
( https://g7vjr.org/ )

If you take a look an initial graph he provides it looks grim....

radio - Is FT8 really 'killing' Ham Radio? Clublo10

It initially looks like FT8 quickly becomes the dominant mode of transmission and that everything else dies down.

But that's not the real story and those of you maybe in an occupation that has to stare 'interestingly' at such graphs during dreaded meetings will see through it. That's right, the Y-axis scale is in percent rather than real numbers.

Now, I was going to analyse all this, (because I'm one of those weird geeks! Wink ), but luckily someone else has already done this and written a rather eloquent article on it.

This can be found here :-

https://vu2nsb.com/ft8-ssb-phone-cw/

Worth reading through if you're interested and there is also some other great information around his site.

So if you read the article in all reality FT8 is actually providing opportunities for Ham operators everywhere and filling the airwaves with more signals than before!

All good in my book and bless everyone of them.....even if I don't partake myself. Smile

Enjoy your radio no matter what aspect of it you like and maybe take a peek at something 'new' once in a while.

Just keep filling those airwaves with your signals. radio - Is FT8 really 'killing' Ham Radio? 1f44d 

All the best,
Victor

glenn dog, SangueG, Ivy Mike and jhenkins like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
glenn dog
Major contributor
Major contributor
glenn dog

Call Sign : 56-CT-004
Times Thanked : 11
QTH or Location : Oulu -Finland
Equipment Used : ft-450d-mc kinley - cobra 19dxeu- lincoln+2 - superstar lord - grant 2 - tti hand held- alan42- crt mike cb - zodiac 68 hunting radio hand held- and few PMR 2

PostSubject: Re: Is FT8 really 'killing' Ham Radio?   radio - Is FT8 really 'killing' Ham Radio? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 27, 2022 3:43 pm

Only a 11m station myself, but nice to read what the Big boys and girls play with, nice yo hear from you Victor.

Victor and Respected Wanderer like this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Is FT8 really 'killing' Ham Radio?   radio - Is FT8 really 'killing' Ham Radio? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 27, 2022 4:10 pm

Ha! Ha! Very Happy  'Big Boys' Razz

Good to see you Glen and hope you are keeping well mate. radio - Is FT8 really 'killing' Ham Radio? 1f44d 

Yeah, been a while since I let out some verbal drivel but couldn't help myself. All done for the radio interest of course. Wink Hope you haven't been too cold in your part of the world...has that Sun come back up yet? Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Is FT8 really 'killing' Ham Radio?   radio - Is FT8 really 'killing' Ham Radio? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 27, 2022 4:16 pm

FT8 is allowing propagation paths to be tested and systems to be perfected at times of low solar activity, that's a good thing. I've learned a lot about 28 & 50MHz propagation over the last few months.

The amount of SpE around at this time of year was talked of but I had never experienced it before.

Whether the level of use persists when we are properly into this solar cycle remains to be seen. As FT8 only uses 3KHz of spectrum on each band it could get very difficult to use/need more spot frequencies to be used. Whatever happens, it's hardly taking over the spectrum. At VHF and up then concentrating activity in a small bandwidth is a good thing.

Overall digital modes are good for radio. Must brush up my CW as sadly lacking in speed for having a QSO these days.

Unless CB users want to take it up then it's no threat to them and I understand that JSCall is becoming popular on CB. I need to investigate it further myself.
Back to top Go down
Wireless
Major contributor
Major contributor

Times Thanked : 12
QTH or Location : Shrewsbury
Equipment Used : kit

PostSubject: Re: Is FT8 really 'killing' Ham Radio?   radio - Is FT8 really 'killing' Ham Radio? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 28, 2022 1:49 am

Last edited by Wireless on Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Is FT8 really 'killing' Ham Radio?   radio - Is FT8 really 'killing' Ham Radio? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 28, 2022 8:14 am

Hi Roger,

There's definitely some interesting aspects to FT8 as many will attest to and although I mentioned that I don't 'partake' I have utilised it with PSKReporter to check out experimental antenna setups. The main point of my posting was to investigate certain negative claims and pleasantly surprised with the data I found. 

I'm all for any radio activity no matter what the mode of transmission and even though my own Morse isn't up to speed I still really enjoy listening to a good clean signal with a solid 'fist'. Smile

--------------------------------------------------------

Hi Wayne,

Isn't being a 'grumpy old man' one of the qualifying aspects to be a radio Ham? Very Happy
Just kidding there but have been to a few 'clubs' where everyone seems to fit the bill! Wink

I'm with you in as far as enjoying what you want to do. Bemoaning it makes you look like some idiot screaming in the shopping aisles that there is no place for 'Marmite' declaring how disgusting it is whilst setting up a makeshift cordon. 

Definitely each to their own.

--------------------------------------------------------

All the best to you both,
Victor

Alan Pilot and Wireless like this post

Back to top Go down
Ivy Mike
Major contributor
Major contributor
Ivy Mike

Call Sign : 26CT4113/G1HWY
QTH or Location : IO90uv
Equipment Used : ICOM radios/antenna farm

PostSubject: Re: Is FT8 really 'killing' Ham Radio?   radio - Is FT8 really 'killing' Ham Radio? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 28, 2022 4:02 pm

Just get on the air.
Use whatever you have and whatever mode you like.

I have done a few different modes in the past, HSCW, SSB, DSTAR, FM, Packet and now FT8/FT4.

FT8 actually got my interest back into amateur radio and I also have a QO-100 station which
I find really interesting working through a geostationary satellite, mainly SSB on there for me.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

Call Sign : 26-CT-3971 / 2E0LMI
Times Thanked : 68
QTH or Location : Cirencester, Gloucestershire
Equipment Used : Little radios, home-made antennas

PostSubject: Re: Is FT8 really 'killing' Ham Radio?   radio - Is FT8 really 'killing' Ham Radio? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 28, 2022 6:41 pm

An interesting read, thank you Victor. The conclusions and closing comments at the bottom of the vu2nsb analysis link sums up the findings well if there is anyone who doesn't want to read all, and I guess there is the answer is.. No.

Ham radio has such a variety of sub interests to offer that I can't ever see just one particular "mode" ever killing it. There is something under the radio hat for everyone, and almost everyone will never be deeply interested in every aspect.

I could liken it to one of my other pastimes "Geocaching" where again there is something for everyone. Some people enjoy finding as many as they can, usually chasing down easy ones to get their numbers up. There are those who enjoy puzzle caches, having to solve puzzles at home to find the coordinates or even puzzles out in the field. Some of us like extreme physical/dangerous ones that may need special equipment to reach. And there's a small amount who enjoy 5/5's which involve both very complex puzzles and very arduous terrains, of which take a lot of time to place and longer for seekers to solve and find. There are many other types and awards to collect too. But like radio, almost no one does all, and those who do have areas they prefer.. e.g. a 5/5 hunter will rarely brag about their overall find total as most of their time is focused on finding the few extreme ones. There are many numbers chasers and have been for years, but every other aspect of it continues to have a strong following.

As Wayne has said, just enjoy the hobby. Whatever frequency or mode is your preference you'll be sure to find you are not the only one with that favorite and will be someone out there somewhere to communicate with whatever the frequency or mode the masses appear to be using.

-
I started to waffle again, sorry.

Victor and Respected Wanderer like this post

Back to top Go down
https://station-master.online/2E0LMI
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Is FT8 really 'killing' Ham Radio?   radio - Is FT8 really 'killing' Ham Radio? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 29, 2022 6:44 am

Hi Mike,

I agree with you completely and 'just get on the air' is a marvelous mindset. radio - Is FT8 really 'killing' Ham Radio? 1f44d 

----------------------------------------------------

Hi Neal,

Just glad that I could raise some interest and find others with the same thoughts. radio - Is FT8 really 'killing' Ham Radio? 1f44d 

I remember reading your QRZ and looking up further into geocaching, all interesting stuff and just wish I was physically able to partake such interests. I think my own enjoyment comes from seeing others enjoy what they do, that passionate drive that we can excel at. It's just a shame that some almost religiously condone someone else's interests just because they are different from their own especially when it concerns 'hobby' interests.

I'm all for seeing everyone enjoying what they do so long as it isn't to the detriment of someone else. Smile

Don't you worry about 'waffle' either, I'm just as bad but love to read it from others too!

----------------------------------------------------

All the best,
Victor

SangueG and Ivy Mike like this post

Back to top Go down
Gmonkey
Gmonkey

Call Sign : 26-CT-3890
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Luton, Bedfordshire
Equipment Used : CB - Twig: Sirio 2016 5/8. Rigs: ICOM 7300, Grant II Premium, Amstrad 901, CRT2000H, Murphy CH1500, Moonraker II, Harrier CBX, Harvard 420, Binatone Breaker Phone, Fidelity 3000. Scanners : Twig Wideband Generic. Rigs: AOR 8600 MK2, Realistic Pro 2005, Various scanning Dongles

PostSubject: Re: Is FT8 really 'killing' Ham Radio?   radio - Is FT8 really 'killing' Ham Radio? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 29, 2022 1:49 pm

CB, Ham or Data, it's all Rock and Roll to me..

Just happy that we have the opportunity to do all of this. The Kit's plentiful, expertise is available here and on the web, probably the best of times in respect to Radio.

Victor and SangueG like this post

Back to top Go down
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

Call Sign : 26-CT-3971 / 2E0LMI
Times Thanked : 68
QTH or Location : Cirencester, Gloucestershire
Equipment Used : Little radios, home-made antennas

PostSubject: Re: Is FT8 really 'killing' Ham Radio?   radio - Is FT8 really 'killing' Ham Radio? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 30, 2022 7:41 am

There is something for almost everyone in Geocaching Victor, some are even placed specifically with those who have limited mobility Smile But, I'll try and keep short on more focused on topic for a moment..

Data modes, and even CW now with modern tech, can be a great asset for those whose hearing is not too great or even complete hearing loss. For an example, I have watched my G90 decode CW in silence whilst my better half has been asleep. My hearing is far from being at its peak from listening to loud music and working around loud machines a good part of my life. I can see that in years to come that being able to use data will be blessing to some who struggle to hear.

I am not going to jump on the bandwagon right this instance, but like you Victor, I will probably have a little go with it in the not too distant future just so I know how to set up equipment for.

Victor and jhenkins like this post

Back to top Go down
https://station-master.online/2E0LMI
muffie02

Call Sign : 26ct333
QTH or Location : plymouth uk
Equipment Used : legal cb

PostSubject: Re: Is FT8 really 'killing' Ham Radio?   radio - Is FT8 really 'killing' Ham Radio? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 06, 2022 6:38 pm

work of the devil !! - ruining the hobby ! - passing fad like packet radio  !! - not been the same since they banned spark gap !! - hurrumph !!  radio - Is FT8 really 'killing' Ham Radio? 1f608  radio - Is FT8 really 'killing' Ham Radio? 1f608  radio - Is FT8 really 'killing' Ham Radio? 1f62c  radio - Is FT8 really 'killing' Ham Radio? 1f62c

Wireless likes this post

Back to top Go down
Barramundi
Barramundi

Call Sign : 43-CT-015
QTH or Location : Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Equipment Used : Uniden Washington, Yaesu 450D, Yaesu 857D. My home QTH antenna you wouldn’t believe me if I told you, my mobile antenna is a Terlin Outbacker Multitap to cover from 10-80 mtrs

PostSubject: Re: Is FT8 really 'killing' Ham Radio?   radio - Is FT8 really 'killing' Ham Radio? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 06, 2022 9:57 pm

Hello All 

I have to say I tried FT8 for about 18 months was exciting the first few months but then the novelty wore off, I found that there was very little challenge in it to be honest in my opinion anyway. Too easy to get contacts and next to no interaction, I suppose I’m old school and enjoy the chat especially DX chat that I have to work for. I can see what people like about it as it can rack up your contacts too exotic places extremely quickly propogation is really not overly important as it is with phone communication. As I said have tried it liked it for awhile and maybe will go back to it. Is it killing amateur radio I don’t know about killing it I would say it has reduced the amount of phone activity on the ham bands  that is for sure, but moving forward the next big thing will come along the propogation will fire up once again and all will be happy in the world.

Take Care

43CT015

Steve

saltire likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Is FT8 really 'killing' Ham Radio?   radio - Is FT8 really 'killing' Ham Radio? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 07, 2022 6:22 am

Hi Steve,

Good to hear your views and thanks for posting your input.

It's definitely not a mode that would float everyone's boat myself included but many people do enjoy it and are more than happy with the operational characteristics and sense of reward. It's certainly popular! As with every aspect of Amateur Radio and said many times before there are so many paths of interest to take which is what for me makes it all fun and interesting. We can all find something we like. radio - Is FT8 really 'killing' Ham Radio? 1f44d 

The data shows that in reality FT8 is adding to the signals on the bands and let's not forget that those who FT8 usually operate other modes too. (Sometimes at the same time!) I'm sure as we ramp up the next solar cycle we'll see the usual increase in higher band activity and maybe adding to the phone modes but it will also be a boon to digital mode operations too.

I may not like every chocolate in the tin, but sure am glad that there are so many choices.

Thanks again Steve and all the very best to you,
Victor
Back to top Go down
53 Prefect
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
53 Prefect

Call Sign : VA3XUK & G6ZGU
Times Thanked : 6
QTH or Location : Oro Medonte, Ontario
Equipment Used : Icom, Kenwood, Uniden, Stalker

PostSubject: Re: Is FT8 really 'killing' Ham Radio?   radio - Is FT8 really 'killing' Ham Radio? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 14, 2022 6:15 pm

I used it for a while. Found it easy to use while I was working. Did get bored with it. Killing ham radio?  No, I don't think so, in fact, I bet it got a lot of the mike shy guys that do not use code onto the amateur bands. I was always surprised by the amount of people that got their ticket, yet never talk on the radio

If ya don't like it, don't use it.  I will set it up again one day, just as another mode. 

I did enjoy RTTY back in the 80's on me speccy and 2m SSB.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Is FT8 really 'killing' Ham Radio?   radio - Is FT8 really 'killing' Ham Radio? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 16, 2022 6:28 pm

FT8 is old hat, all the cool kiddies are using FT4 Wink
Back to top Go down
Ivy Mike
Major contributor
Major contributor
Ivy Mike

PostSubject: Re: Is FT8 really 'killing' Ham Radio?   radio - Is FT8 really 'killing' Ham Radio? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 17, 2022 7:52 pm

FT4 love it.
Back to top Go down
chazwozza
Senior contributor
Senior contributor

Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : England
Equipment Used : Radios

PostSubject: Re: Is FT8 really 'killing' Ham Radio?   radio - Is FT8 really 'killing' Ham Radio? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 20, 2022 7:56 am

Ft modes tend to be used by those that cant have decent antennas good for them etc but i doubt its killing anything just another mode
Back to top Go down
Ivy Mike
Major contributor
Major contributor
Ivy Mike

PostSubject: Re: Is FT8 really 'killing' Ham Radio?   radio - Is FT8 really 'killing' Ham Radio? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 20, 2022 8:21 am

Some big dxers use it, brilliant for poor conditions.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is FT8 really 'killing' Ham Radio?   radio - Is FT8 really 'killing' Ham Radio? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Is FT8 really 'killing' Ham Radio?
Page 1 of 1