Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Store bought antenna to use with baofeng t1 mini handy
Midland Alan poor Tx Icon_minitimeToday at 8:29 am by chazwozza

» Hi new to this group just checkn in...
Midland Alan poor Tx Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:47 pm by John123

» new call sign (Issued)
Midland Alan poor Tx Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:42 pm by John123

» CT call sign request (Information requested)
Midland Alan poor Tx Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:40 pm by John123

» CB antenna/ PMR antenna compatibility question.
Midland Alan poor Tx Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:13 pm by Razz229

» Southern Area and South Coast SSB Net
Midland Alan poor Tx Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:42 pm by Razz229

»  baofeng t1 mini handy users uk
Midland Alan poor Tx Icon_minitimeYesterday at 2:59 pm by Izzi

» Antron 99 install loads of noise
Midland Alan poor Tx Icon_minitimeYesterday at 1:57 pm by micscave

» HF Contacts 15m
Midland Alan poor Tx Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:11 am by VanRougeT4

Keywords
Baofeng yaesu callsign meter Sirio lincoln Mckinley 2023 software 9900 display chart call 2022 ALINCO antenna anytone president supply list Mobile ss9900 sign 6900 frequency power
QRZ Database

Midland Alan poor Tx

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Haggis
Haggis

Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Manningtree
Equipment Used : None

Midland Alan poor Tx Empty
PostSubject: Midland Alan poor Tx   Midland Alan poor Tx Icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2022 8:09 pm

Hi I have a Midland Alan 48 in my truck I can hear other people ok but they say its all muffled anymore than 400m away roughly. The Cb was a 2nd hand unit and the antenna is a 6ft stinger and a mag mount. I brought a new mic and people could hear me! Maybe I should have brought new and could cut my losses and do just that. Any help gratefully recieved

GaryWilson likes this post

Back to top Go down
Mitch
Contributor
Contributor
Mitch

Call Sign : M1TCH
Times Thanked : 8
QTH or Location : Leicester
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-857D, Diamond V2000, Major 3000, President Jackson Mk1, Lafayette AFS-1005, K40 mic, KL203, B550P and Sirio GPE 27 ⅝λ.

PostSubject: Re: Midland Alan poor Tx   Midland Alan poor Tx Icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2022 3:50 pm

The problem could be both. Stinger aerials are poor performers anyway, and Midland radios don't have a great reputation either in my experience. Have you or anyone else checked your setup? Just a thought.

Ask other drivers what they use, you don't have to spend a fortune and second hand doesn't mean bad, you just need to find what suits you and your truck.
Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Midland Alan poor Tx   Midland Alan poor Tx Icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2022 5:06 pm

Hi Hamish,

Are you saying your modulation problem is now OK thanks to a new mic? (Just trying to get a clear picture of the problems.)

As for 'muffled' more than '400m' away is that just the audio or the actual signal level falls off?

Doing my best to help from afar with limited information here. There is always the obvious problem of people having their FM deviation cranked up internally so if someone has a factory set deviation others then usually complain that you're 'quiet'.

As for Midland quality or reputation they have been making radios for donkeys years and sell worldwide so would've gone bust a long time ago if they were of such poor quality.

I hope you get to the bottom of the problem but I know for most replacement is the only viable option in as far as time, hassle and extra incurred costs. Worth checking your setup with someone else if you can.

All the best,
Victor
Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Cozzmik
10 + Year member
10 +  Year  member
Cozzmik

Call Sign : 26-CT-465/OP-465/FB-012
Times Thanked : 8
QTH or Location : Kent
Equipment Used : Kenwood ts570dg/Yaesu ft450d/Rm-kl400/Sirio 4000

PostSubject: Re: Midland Alan poor Tx   Midland Alan poor Tx Icon_minitimeSun Mar 20, 2022 9:13 am

I have had a Alan 48 in the past and my one put out less than 3 watts and had muffled audio....I soon got rid,perhaps a poor example but I have heard a few bad reviews.

I never tried a power mic.....perhaps that would of done the trick for the audio..
Back to top Go down
Haggis
Haggis

PostSubject: Re: Midland Alan poor Tx   Midland Alan poor Tx Icon_minitimeSun Mar 20, 2022 12:44 pm

Thanks for your replying. I've been working on containers for the last 6 months so not used it as I was cab hopping but know I'm back on the tippers tomorrow so will have another play. Having spoken to the other drivers previously they mostly use Thunderpole units with stinger antennas. I quite like the look of the President taylor style units. Another driver said he was using a Sirio 2000 aerial but mounted to a tri magnet base with a 90° connector so not all the aerial sticks out the top. He said that works well.
Back to top Go down
Haggis
Haggis

PostSubject: Re: Midland Alan poor Tx   Midland Alan poor Tx Icon_minitimeSun Apr 10, 2022 12:16 pm

Victor wrote:
Hi Hamish,

Are you saying your modulation problem is now OK thanks to a new mic? (Just trying to get a clear picture of the problems.)

As for 'muffled' more than '400m' away is that just the audio or the actual signal level falls off?

Doing my best to help from afar with limited information here. There is always the obvious problem of people having their FM deviation cranked up internally so if someone has a factory set deviation others then usually complain that you're 'quiet'.

As for Midland quality or reputation they have been making radios for donkeys years and sell worldwide so would've gone bust a long time ago if they were of such poor quality.

I hope you get to the bottom of the problem but I know for most replacement is the only viable option in as far as time, hassle and extra incurred costs. Worth checking your setup with someone else if you can.

All the best,
Victor
Hi Victor

I've brought a Swr meter to check my antenna to see what readings I have. I'm not sure what affect this might have (being a newbie). When I'm talking to people they say sometimes it's fine other times it's just bitty. I previously changed the microphone which made it better so I'm hoping it's just the antenna needing setting up. 

Hamish

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Midland Alan poor Tx   Midland Alan poor Tx Icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2022 6:29 am

Hi Hamish,

Sounds like you're onto a good plan there to sort out your woes. 

There's a million and one sites out there with details of how to setup/check your SWR and always worth a search on the old YouTube. Saves me from typing a how-to here as well. Wink

Don't fall into the trap of finding the elusive 1:1 SWR reading, just try to get it as low as you can remembering that even a SWR of 2 means you are still running at 90% efficiency. Anything below 2 and above 1 will be just fine. Midland Alan poor Tx 1f44d 

Once that's done you can go on to check out your setup such as your connections or the coax just by simply giving them a little 'wiggle'. Don't manhandle or yank at the connections, just a small wiggle is fine. The reason I state checking after you've setup your SWR is that if the antenna has a poor SWR or bad grounding your coax, radio, microphone etc. all become part of the 'antenna' and you touching coax and connections will make you part of the 'antenna' as well changing your readings. 

It's not all as difficult as it sounds, just simple connections. I think an RF connection or SWR problem is most likely your issue and the change of mics changed your RF path as they like to have audio on them not RF. (Just be grateful you don't run higher power and experience a microphone 'kiss' - that's RF biting back through your lips!!)

I do hope you get sorted out there Hamish and as I mentioned before it's difficult helping from afar but hope it's all of some help.
Let us know how you get on.

All the best,
Victor

Alan Pilot likes this post

Back to top Go down
Haggis
Haggis

PostSubject: Re: Midland Alan poor Tx   Midland Alan poor Tx Icon_minitimeSun Apr 17, 2022 9:20 pm

I used my Swr meter at the weekend and found I have a ground problem as had high readings on all channels. I tightened up the base bolt under the rubber pad. I'm going to test it after the bank holiday. I'm considering if it still is a problem whether to buy a gutter mount instead of a magnetic mount.

Hamish
Back to top Go down
Haggis
Haggis

PostSubject: Re: Midland Alan poor Tx   Midland Alan poor Tx Icon_minitimeTue Apr 19, 2022 10:45 am

I checked and tightened the base nut bit still have high swr Midland Alan poor Tx 20220410
Back to top Go down
GaryWilson
CT Directors
CT Directors
GaryWilson

Call Sign : 26-CT-1836 Ham 2E0GGQ
Times Thanked : 350
QTH or Location : Redcar, North Yorkshire.
Equipment Used : Radios & Wires & Stuff!

PostSubject: Re: Midland Alan poor Tx   Midland Alan poor Tx Icon_minitimeTue Apr 19, 2022 12:34 pm

Have you adjusted the whip length for the lowest possible SWR across the band? If not then do so and if the readings are still high then start looking at issues of grounding.

73's Gary.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/2E0GGQ
Haggis
Haggis

PostSubject: Re: Midland Alan poor Tx   Midland Alan poor Tx Icon_minitimeThu Apr 21, 2022 6:40 pm

Hi
I tried to shorten it but still had a high reading. It was knocked off a few times I think it has a broken coax cable perhaps. I've brought a high end sirio now. It has much better readings 1 - 1.2. I've also bit the bullet and also brought a new President Barry 2 which is on the way shortly.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Midland Alan poor Tx   Midland Alan poor Tx Icon_minitimeFri Apr 22, 2022 5:35 am

Hi Hamish,

Glad to hear that you've been getting somewhere with it all mate. Smile
It can be frustrating trying to sort out problems but seems you are solving issues bit by bit with replacement of items.

I hope the Sirio antenna serves you well and you have fun with your radios.

All the best,
Victor
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Midland Alan poor Tx   Midland Alan poor Tx Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Midland Alan poor Tx
Page 1 of 1