Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
radio - Disappointment In Ham Radio Icon_minitimeToday at 4:21 am by Sydthecat

» CT Call Sign Request - Accrington
radio - Disappointment In Ham Radio Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:40 pm by Tarot

» New call sign request (Issued)
radio - Disappointment In Ham Radio Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:13 pm by John123

» Greetings from Fife, New call sign request (Issued)
radio - Disappointment In Ham Radio Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:06 pm by John123

» Intruduction & call sign request (Issued)
radio - Disappointment In Ham Radio Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:05 pm by John123

» 11m conditions
radio - Disappointment In Ham Radio Icon_minitimeYesterday at 4:50 pm by glenn dog

» HF Contacts 15m
radio - Disappointment In Ham Radio Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:42 am by SangueG

» Store bought antenna to use with baofeng t1 mini handy
radio - Disappointment In Ham Radio Icon_minitimeWed May 08, 2024 8:28 pm by Razz229

» Antron 99 install loads of noise
radio - Disappointment In Ham Radio Icon_minitimeWed May 08, 2024 4:50 pm by glenn dog

Keywords
display ss9900 supply president 2022 sign Mobile lincoln antenna 6900 Baofeng software 2023 frequency chart anytone yaesu ALINCO callsign list Mckinley call power 9900 Sirio meter
QRZ Database

Disappointment In Ham Radio

Go down 
+11
TG064
43CT016
TheReverend
M7DKU
Alan Pilot
SangueG
Sharpshooter
chazwozza
Victor
Wireless
johno
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
johno

Call Sign : 26-CT-4336
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Wiltshire
Equipment Used : President

radio - Disappointment In Ham Radio Empty
PostSubject: Disappointment In Ham Radio   radio - Disappointment In Ham Radio Icon_minitimeTue Jun 21, 2022 1:45 pm

I have been involved in CB radio for the last 30 years. I have always found the talk about radios and radio gear on air really good. During the lockdown for covid I did my Ham foundation licence primarily for 2m/70cm low power stuff and for something to occupy time. 

After passing the exam, I have accessed both these bands and generally there seems to be very little happening other than having a transmission with another ham on 2m where he spent most of the conversation telling me he did not believe in Foundation licence holders or CB radio. I have also been on Dstar and accessed the various reflectors. I have come to the conclusion that on there the talk/chat is mostly about peoples medical problems or other stuff that is not radio related.

Lastly on HF, it is very rare it seems, that anyone wants to have a two way transmission about radio. It seems that most of the bands want a 10 second contact with you to grab your callsign as a contact in some sort of competition and thats it.

After trying it for a few months I went back to CB. It was so nice to have easy conversations about kit and radios and no one talking about their sickness problems. So glad CB is enjoying a resurgence.

Sydthecat, glenn dog, TheReverend, acerimmer, Ace, Miura, Sharpshooter and like this post

Back to top Go down
Wireless
Major contributor
Major contributor

Times Thanked : 12
QTH or Location : Shrewsbury
Equipment Used : kit

PostSubject: Re: Disappointment In Ham Radio   radio - Disappointment In Ham Radio Icon_minitimeTue Jun 21, 2022 2:11 pm

Last edited by Wireless on Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:02 am; edited 1 time in total

Sydthecat, Tristar, Ace and johno like this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Disappointment In Ham Radio   radio - Disappointment In Ham Radio Icon_minitimeTue Jun 21, 2022 3:23 pm

Hi John,

It's a shame to hear your tales of woe but I can also totally understand.

Unfortunately a lot of radio work on 2m/70cm tends to be through a local repeater and as such has a small pond of participants. It doesn't take long before such a resource can become small minded with each operator backing up each others views even if they are in a negative vein. I experienced much the same with distain shown towards M7 licence holders let alone other Foundation licencees and must have heard the 'Covid Ham' reference more than once. Along with misogynistic views as well as racist comments it can all become a bit too much.

Luckily however you can come across a completely different group of people often on the same repeater with a much more relaxed and friendly attitude. Each of that small group will often support each other and their views in a more positive vein.

Go figure?

Two different groups of people though much like how you would come across various such groups in real life. (I once quit a job because of the extreme racist views held by those employed there!)

The thing is quite often you can make a positive contribution to such groups and amazing how they change their tune when you are involved on air rather than simply listening. I've heard a group do nothing but berate the Foundation licence system and yet when I've joined them on air they must've believed it was a private conversation as they are now congratulating me for passing, how was I doing and would I be progressing 'up' the licence system.

Usually that positive influence occurs some time after, probably because they may believe you are still listening but also because of your involvement. I'm sure once 'old' style licence holders experience the enthusiasm and resourcefulness of Foundation licence holders they see beyond the licence and start to see a person instead.

There are after all real people behind that call sign.

On HF you can hit a time when people are collecting points for a competition or challenge and sure enough all you will get is "5/9 QRZ", but of course that is their goal and intention. Sometimes conditions are so variable that a full blown conversation is difficult and to help with the 'log', call sign confirmation and signal reports are given so that you have entries for your log.

With 'rag-chew' events such as some of the old timer nets there's bound to be conversations surrounding medical conditions.....you'll be old and fragile yourself one day and may obsess about your medical status too. Wink

But usually such old timer nets are held with people that have known each other for years, if not decades and such topics of conversation may be par for the course if they have met on air regularly for such a long time.
(Have you ever heard two 'old' people conversing anywhere else apart from radio? Similar conversations are held in the same vein.)

It's not too dissimilar from what you can experience on CB radio too, real people talking about real events that preoccupy their thoughts and a common subject.

Sometimes that's all a bit too relaxed and 'sweary' for my liking but I can always spin that tuning dial or simply turn the radio off. If you don't like or are not interested in a channel on the Television you reach for that remote and simply change channels or hit that 'standby' power button.

In my own experience I honestly thought that their be a lot more 'technical' minds involved with Amateur Radio and must have misplaced my ideas some time back in the early days of radio where everyone built their own stuff. Wink

The reality was people arguing about what type of coax to buy, where to buy it, how does this mic sound, what antenna is the 'best' or boasting about their latest radio acquisition.....and good for them.

I honestly love that the world is full of such diverse people but abhor those that slate others for not having the same views as they do. (Often verbally and sometimes physically violent! Have you seen two old men have a right old punch-up at a rally or meeting? To some it's funny but not very nice in reality.)

We're all very different despite having common interests such as radio but are after all human beings, real people with real feelings just trying to get along in life without it all being a bit too miserable. You are after all a long time dead.

Sometimes it's worth flipping your views and thinking about someone else's view for a moment.......
Have you ever thought that someone might be thinking "OMG here comes John and ALL he wants to talk about is radios and radio kit".

In reality that isn't as offensive as it first seems, quite funny in fact and a method of thinking that could be quite valuable.

There's many interests in the whole radio field, whether that be by legal description, (CB, Ham, PMR etc.), to other personally motivated interests. Long may it be so.

After all......wouldn't it be boring if we were all 'exactly' the same. Smile

I hope you enjoy your chosen path there John and your personal interests. radio - Disappointment In Ham Radio 1f44d

Just remember that so long as you renew your Ham licence every five years you'll have that licence for life. There may come a day when you're old and suffering a medical ailment then want someone else who understands just simply some time to shoot the breeze with.

Apologies for the 'long-winded' reply to this, but I like a natter as much as anyone else. (As evident.)

All the very best,
Victor

Sydthecat, glenn dog, 43CT016, Alan Pilot, SangueG, Ace, johno and like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
chazwozza
Senior contributor
Senior contributor

Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : England
Equipment Used : Radios

PostSubject: Re: Disappointment In Ham Radio   radio - Disappointment In Ham Radio Icon_minitimeTue Jun 21, 2022 9:12 pm

Foundation is a waste of time 10 watts utterly sucks
Back to top Go down
Sharpshooter
Major contributor
Major contributor
Sharpshooter

Call Sign : 163-CT-329
Times Thanked : 13
QTH or Location : Deeside, Flintshire
Equipment Used : A growing list

PostSubject: Re: Disappointment In Ham Radio   radio - Disappointment In Ham Radio Icon_minitimeTue Jun 21, 2022 9:17 pm

chazwozza wrote:
Foundation is a waste of time 10 watts utterly sucks

It's 4 watts on CB but who sticks to it ?
Very Happy

Rescue1, Miura and DarrenH like this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Disappointment In Ham Radio   radio - Disappointment In Ham Radio Icon_minitimeTue Jun 21, 2022 9:39 pm

Ha! Ha! Very Happy

Always love the positivity that oozes on this forum. Wink

glenn dog, Alan Pilot, Ace, Sharpshooter, Bones and Mick Lake like this post

Back to top Go down
Sharpshooter
Major contributor
Major contributor
Sharpshooter

PostSubject: Re: Disappointment In Ham Radio   radio - Disappointment In Ham Radio Icon_minitimeTue Jun 21, 2022 9:46 pm

In response to the op.

You have your foundation license so thats another string to your bow.

It's like having more channels on TV.
You have more choice.
You may not like them but they are an extra option 👍

Sydthecat, Rescue1 and Ace like this post

Back to top Go down
Sharpshooter
Major contributor
Major contributor
Sharpshooter

PostSubject: Re: Disappointment In Ham Radio   radio - Disappointment In Ham Radio Icon_minitimeTue Jun 21, 2022 9:50 pm

Victor wrote:
Ha! Ha! Very Happy

Always love the positivity that oozes on this forum. Wink

I was advised by an ex ham not to do it.
I won't post why 😁

And it hasn't appealed to me. But you know what ?
I'm very tempted.

glenn dog, Victor, Alan Pilot and Ace like this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Disappointment In Ham Radio   radio - Disappointment In Ham Radio Icon_minitimeTue Jun 21, 2022 10:01 pm

I lost interest after the failing C&G system Nige many moons back. A couple of old duffers later put me off for many decades and then blow me, came back to CB, got involved with this Charlie Tango lot so gave it another go. (Online training and exam helped regards my disability.)

Never had so much fun since. Smile  radio - Disappointment In Ham Radio 1f44d

Alan Pilot, Ace, johno, Miura, Sharpshooter and Mick Lake like this post

Back to top Go down
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

Call Sign : 26-CT-3971 / 2E0LMI
Times Thanked : 68
QTH or Location : Cirencester, Gloucestershire
Equipment Used : Little radios, home-made antennas

PostSubject: Re: Disappointment In Ham Radio   radio - Disappointment In Ham Radio Icon_minitimeTue Jun 21, 2022 10:02 pm

Hi John. Not sure whereabouts you are in Wiltshire, but if you can access the 2m repeater GB3WH I have had some nice QSOs via that one some with the Swindon radio group, but not all.

With the higher HF bands the QSOs can quite often be very short, but I think often kept so because of rapidly changing conditions. That said, not all are.. two weekends back I had some longer QSOs on the FM section of 10m and joined an "in company" group in Norway on 10m SSB for a joint QSO for a good 20 mins. 40m seems pretty good for rag chewing, sometimes about radio sometimes not.

CB's great, and still using this way, but not much happening local on it.

chazwozza.. it's not the amount of power you are allowed to use, it's what you do with it Wink

Sydthecat, glenn dog, Victor, Alan Pilot, TheReverend, Ace, johno and Mick Lake like this post

Back to top Go down
https://station-master.online/2E0LMI
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: Disappointment In Ham Radio   radio - Disappointment In Ham Radio Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2022 5:26 am

Morning John
Don't give up just yet m8.
I had the same welcome as you with my serial packet licence and all that.
The old timers are quite getting used to me saying "funkies muck" and i don't give one.
What i did fine was the time of day dictated the type of conversation and subject and mornings is always the Doctors and new pill's but later in the day they take a nap wake up have tee then go to bed.
Afternoons and later you get the better talk.
Well that is round here anyway.
Also my M7 was soon forgotten about and i am just TTA now one of the lads (65 this year) lol.
Hang on in there John.

glenn dog, Victor, Ace, johno, Sharpshooter and Mick Lake like this post

Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: Disappointment In Ham Radio   radio - Disappointment In Ham Radio Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2022 5:32 am

chazwozza.
Don't need 10w just had a contact to Canada but only on 5w ft4.
As Sang said it is what you do with the 10w ie antenna and getting it right.
Worked most of the world on 10 or less if not all of it.

glenn dog, Ace and Mick Lake like this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Disappointment In Ham Radio   radio - Disappointment In Ham Radio Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2022 6:41 am

Oooh, careful Alan. Remember that it's not "proper" radio if you've done it through a 'puter. Wink

There's some that feel the same way about CW Morse......

If you're emanating radio waves and receiving them through a piece of wire purporting to be an antenna using it to contact other Radio Amateurs, it's all good in my book. radio - Disappointment In Ham Radio 1f44d

I wonder if people feel the same way about the microprocessor systems in modern radios handling the fancy colour screen, controls, digital signal processing or even SDR systems? Probably more 'puter stuff in there than anything! (Perhaps we should go back to valves?)

Oh, Argentina.....got my -18 report and try as I might I didn't get the final RR73.....Does that count? (10 Watts, lawnmower lead in loft - not in log. Razz )

Most of the limits we face in life, are the limits we place upon ourselves.......and sometimes the limits we impose on others.

Ace and Mick Lake like this post

Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

PostSubject: Re: Disappointment In Ham Radio   radio - Disappointment In Ham Radio Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2022 8:02 am

Had 2 stations on Argentina and nether of them use QRZ.
Both in my log but not confirmed.

Ace likes this post

Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

PostSubject: Re: Disappointment In Ham Radio   radio - Disappointment In Ham Radio Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2022 8:10 am

Victor
Was it from a Qualcast or a Flymo could make all the difference.

Victor, Ace and Mick Lake like this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Disappointment In Ham Radio   radio - Disappointment In Ham Radio Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2022 10:32 am

Hee! Couldn't tell you Alan mate, it was just a mains lead and the copper in it I was after. Wink

Don't know where the copper came from either, Escondida, Dolinny, Collahuasi.........
Back to top Go down
M7DKU

Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : Bournemouth
Equipment Used : Retevis uhf/vhf, Baofeng UV5R etc,, Retevis DMR

PostSubject: Re: Disappointment In Ham Radio   radio - Disappointment In Ham Radio Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2022 12:22 pm

I read this with great interest. I got my FL a month ago and geared up for multi world wide contact with Argentina to Zimbabwe.....man, who wasn't I going to contact. Then....reality does kick in but for me personally, this is what amateur radio is all about, or, what I think its all about.

So I get some gear, plug it all in....nothing. A crushing disappointment. However, there is nothing finer than managing to programme a DMR receiver after 28 attempts, a mild stroke and hair-loss.

Getting the F/L is like passing your driving test. You can legally drive a car but CAN you drive a car....not really. 

I have learned, take your time, join a club. I'm planning to visit a local club, this weekend. The emails we have exchanged have been so welcoming and this is where you can meet like minded people who can advise. Watch many educational youtube stuff with caution as many times, I have been disappointed but just get back up and re-try. It's the whole point I think. 

To conclude, there are disappointing aspects but keep on trying, learning and don't be afraid to ask for help. Except me as I haven't got a clue!!
Very Happy Very Happy

Victor, TheReverend, SangueG, Ace, johno and Mick Lake like this post

Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

PostSubject: Re: Disappointment In Ham Radio   radio - Disappointment In Ham Radio Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2022 1:32 pm

There is a lot to learn with radio and it takes time.
The club will be a big help to you as you will make new friends and then start talking to them on your radio and gain confidence.
Listening to other stations will help as well.

Ace likes this post

Back to top Go down
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

Call Sign : 26-CT-3971 / 2E0LMI
Times Thanked : 68
QTH or Location : Cirencester, Gloucestershire
Equipment Used : Little radios, home-made antennas

PostSubject: Re: Disappointment In Ham Radio   radio - Disappointment In Ham Radio Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2022 1:40 pm

Good post M7DKU, sorry I don't know your name. Am always learning.

Alan, side note (trying not to make thread go too off topic), do you sync (import/export) your QRZ logs with LOTW? I would say about half of my QRZ confirmations were confirmed on LOTW. Shame it doesn't work the other way.. QRZ confirmations are not counted on LOTW.

Victor and Ace like this post

Back to top Go down
https://station-master.online/2E0LMI
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

PostSubject: Re: Disappointment In Ham Radio   radio - Disappointment In Ham Radio Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2022 2:26 pm

Neal
No i only use QRZ and E-QSL.
Did look at LOTW but can't remember why i didn't sign up might just have to look again.

Ace likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Disappointment In Ham Radio   radio - Disappointment In Ham Radio Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2022 2:59 pm

Nice response there "M7DKU". radio - Disappointment In Ham Radio 1f44d 

My apologies, no name given and if that's your Foundation call sign I couldn't find you listed anywhere else.

I hope your visit to a club goes very well and that you get on with the people there to be able to learn many aspects of Amateur Radio.

Unfortunately not all clubs are so welcoming and some will be desperate to "mold the new clay" so to speak. Not everyone who is a F/L holder is a complete 'newbie' either but I've been impressed at how many treated me as such. Wink

You seem like the kind of person that could contribute and/or learn an immense amount here at Charlie Tango and if you so wish you would be more than very welcome.

Again, great posting and your input is an encouraging response to the original poster. radio - Disappointment In Ham Radio 1f44d 
(As well as impressive to those of us already residing here.)

All the best,
Victor

Ace, johno and Mick Lake like this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Disappointment In Ham Radio   radio - Disappointment In Ham Radio Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2022 3:08 pm

Neal,

I only use QRZ.com as it was the least faff of everything. It means that only around half of my QSO's are 'verified' but for me if they're in my log that's good enough.

I know that those chasing awards though will want every opportunity possible so will gain LOTW, eQSL, etc. and sometimes even pay for the privilege.

Not for me I'm afraid.....makes me wonder what everyone did when they just had their own paper logs. Wink

Of course, ssshhh, there could be 'pirates' and I worry about that as much as I fear being struck by lightning. Very Happy

Anyway, off-topic but all in the spirit of Amateur Radio and helping each other out. radio - Disappointment In Ham Radio 1f44d

Ace and Mick Lake like this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Disappointment In Ham Radio   radio - Disappointment In Ham Radio Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2022 3:24 pm

Just realised that this posting kept popping up on the 'News & Announcements' section.
(Terrible admin I am! Wink )

It may have been an 'announcement' by John but I'm moving it to the 'General Chat' section.

Ace likes this post

Back to top Go down
johno

Call Sign : 26-CT-4336
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Wiltshire
Equipment Used : President

PostSubject: Re: Disappointment In Ham Radio   radio - Disappointment In Ham Radio Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2022 5:23 pm

Sorry Victor for posting in the wrong place. I should have said, I never did the foundation licence with a view to getting an intermediate or full licence. I have no interest in doing that. Access to 2m/70cm was main objective. In any case, thanks for the words of encouragement.

Victor, TheReverend, Ace and Sharpshooter like this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Disappointment In Ham Radio   radio - Disappointment In Ham Radio Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2022 5:38 pm

Not a problem John, I'm just a terrible admin at noticing these things. Wink

I honestly do wish you well and am really pleased that there have been so many words of encouragement to you from CT members. We are all really afflicted with that radio interest and do our best to support each other. radio - Disappointment In Ham Radio 1f44d

I too started with the intention of just setting up a 2m/70cm setup mostly to speak to some old friends of mine who have been long term Hams. Suddenly however I'm finding I can do a lot more with those 10 Watts and so explored much further than I ever thought I would. (Never expected worldwide contact but here I am doing it with digital modes that I'd never even thought of!) So I'm more than happy with my Foundation licence at this time with no immediate plans to 'progress'.

I can understand the frustration, as I mentioned I thought I'd be able to talk about technical aspects of radio along with an electronics interest to other 'Hams' being also interested in old radio gear.
So far....it has eluded me!

I wish you all the very best there John. Enjoy your radio no matter what. radio - Disappointment In Ham Radio 1f44d

Victor

Ace, johno and Mick Lake like this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Disappointment In Ham Radio   radio - Disappointment In Ham Radio Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Disappointment In Ham Radio
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next