Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» CT Call Sign Request - Accrington
radio - Disappointment In Ham Radio - Page 3 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:40 pm by Tarot

» New call sign request (Issued)
radio - Disappointment In Ham Radio - Page 3 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:13 pm by John123

» Greetings from Fife, New call sign request (Issued)
radio - Disappointment In Ham Radio - Page 3 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:06 pm by John123

» Intruduction & call sign request (Issued)
radio - Disappointment In Ham Radio - Page 3 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:05 pm by John123

» 11m conditions
radio - Disappointment In Ham Radio - Page 3 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 4:50 pm by glenn dog

» HF Contacts 15m
radio - Disappointment In Ham Radio - Page 3 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:42 am by SangueG

» Store bought antenna to use with baofeng t1 mini handy
radio - Disappointment In Ham Radio - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed May 08, 2024 8:28 pm by Razz229

» Antron 99 install loads of noise
radio - Disappointment In Ham Radio - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed May 08, 2024 4:50 pm by glenn dog

» EU conditions have started
radio - Disappointment In Ham Radio - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed May 08, 2024 4:48 pm by glenn dog

Keywords
list callsign Mckinley antenna 9900 supply software president lincoln power sign 2023 Mobile frequency meter display Sirio 2022 Baofeng ss9900 ALINCO 6900 call anytone chart yaesu
QRZ Database

Disappointment In Ham Radio

Go down 
+11
TG064
43CT016
TheReverend
M7DKU
Alan Pilot
SangueG
Sharpshooter
chazwozza
Victor
Wireless
johno
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
TG064
TG064

Call Sign : 26-CT-4525 / M7CVK.
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Io91BI Nr Pewsey Wiltshire
Equipment Used : CRT SS9900, Yaesu FT818nd T600 MP1 super antenna , Yaesu Ft65, Wouxun Kguv8g Icom 290e Diamond 770, 3 element yagi

radio - Disappointment In Ham Radio - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Disappointment In Ham Radio   radio - Disappointment In Ham Radio - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 26, 2022 8:56 am

Sharpshooter, I enjoy both ends of the spectrum the ham side for me is more challenging due to my licence conditions but my 818 has got me across the pond on home brew antennas and the 2m/70cm handheld has also done me proud both on a magmount and home made yagi, a resent tick in the box for me was via the GB3SH repeater from Roundway Hill near Devizes in Wiltshire to a chap on a ship 30miles off Southampton in the channel yes the repeater is doing the work but on 5watts on a handheld not bad in my book. The CB side has its attractions of SSB and FM networking which I am currently playing with I have brought a home base antenna now but have been using home made T2LT and a 5/8 wave gain master type both have achieved many contacts into Europe but it’s early days and will no doubt fill my log book with other places in time. My wife is the same regarding the antennas on the car or when static mobile as I normally put up the 8m pole strapped to the wheel on the car people just look up and shake their heads. She lowers her seat and look’s the other way. She has said I wonder what they think your doing especially when I had the yagi on a pole looking for the high point during a call never mind keeps me active.

GaryWilson, Victor, Tristar and Sharpshooter like this post

Back to top Go down
stormy
stormy

Call Sign : 14CT007 2E0DQV
Times Thanked : 2
QTH or Location : South of Toulouse, France
Equipment Used : Kenwood TS-570, 11m Moxon, Sirio 5/8 Vertical, 1/2 wave dipole

PostSubject: Re: Disappointment In Ham Radio   radio - Disappointment In Ham Radio - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2022 3:40 pm

Hello Victor
We had a brief chat a while ago about digital modes, specifically JS8, and I got the impression you were just thinking about it not actually doing it so I'm glad you are.
I live in France and my problem is that my 2E0 doesn't cut it in Europe so I am restricted to 11m really. I am on it at some time nearly every day and am varying modes as much as possible, USB, all the digital modes if I see them, SSTV, but JS8 the most. Some days I can hardly see the map of Europe on PSK Reporter because of all the green symbols! I have one or two CW contacts in France but either they don't hear me or are too fast.
I could of course go to the UK and do the full licence but can't be bothered, 11m is good enough for me especially Asia/Pacific in the winter. I just love a good contact there either USB or digital with my Moxon antenna which is good but I would prefer something better if I had the space.
Anyway, I do enjoy your posts, keep'em coming!

73 Ian 14CT007

Victor and Tristar like this post

Back to top Go down
chazwozza
Senior contributor
Senior contributor

Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : England
Equipment Used : Radios

PostSubject: Re: Disappointment In Ham Radio   radio - Disappointment In Ham Radio - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 30, 2022 8:01 am

Wireless wrote:
chazwozza wrote:
I’ll never hear ya then lol

The better your antenna, the less power you need.

If I ran 400 Watts into an low gain antenna, and it got a signal out, all well and good, except as its a low gain antenna you'll never hear anyone.

I run 10 Watts and can have SSB contacts with Indonesia, if the right band is open, using the right antenna for the propagation; but if 11m isn't open, you'll never propagate much beyond line of sight (it does travel a little further), even if you ran a 1000 Watts.  You can't beat the physics.

In some circumstances at low frequencies you might propagate further using ground wave, and indeed with mine rescue, low frequencies can propagate through rock to deep below the ground.

So having a powerful TX and being RX deaf doesn't help you hear anyone, unless the other station has a better antenna, and even then, they could be running 10 Watts vs your 1000 Watts.

At the end of the day, a Yagi Beam and Rotator is cheaper than a 1000 Watt Linear Amplifier.
Not sure why you felt the need to expalin that
Back to top Go down
chazwozza
Senior contributor
Senior contributor

Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : England
Equipment Used : Radios

PostSubject: Re: Disappointment In Ham Radio   radio - Disappointment In Ham Radio - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 30, 2022 8:03 am

Alan Pilot wrote:
I do talk as well but still don't need big power.
In the past i have tested power out and going from 5w to switching a 100w liner on mad 1 s-point.

I have talked to the USA Australia Canada and New Zeeland on 10w.
If you get your gear setup right that is half the battle but many just plug it all in and off they go.
Hmm interesting should've made 2
Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: Disappointment In Ham Radio   radio - Disappointment In Ham Radio - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 30, 2022 12:25 pm

chazwozza wrote:
Alan Pilot wrote:
In the past i have tested power out and going from 5w to switching a 100w liner on mad 1 s-point.

If you get your gear setup right that is half the battle but many just plug it all in and off they go.
Might have been 2 but it was over 35 years ago and my memory is not what it was.
What i was getting at sometimes power don't help that much if that makes sense as long as te rest of  your gear is working as it should.

Tristar likes this post

Back to top Go down
43CT016
Major contributor
Major contributor
43CT016

Call Sign : 43-CT-016
Times Thanked : 22
QTH or Location : Perth
Equipment Used : iCom IC-7610/IC-9700/IC-705

PostSubject: Re: Disappointment In Ham Radio   radio - Disappointment In Ham Radio - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 30, 2022 12:58 pm

Alan Pilot wrote:
chazwozza wrote:
Alan Pilot wrote:

Might have been 2 but it was over 35 years ago and my memory is not what it was.
What i was getting at sometimes power don't help that much if that makes sense as long as te rest of  your gear is working as it should.

As I’m sure you know, each doubling of power is 3dB or half an S-point….so 5w to 100w is just over 2-points.

I find when conditions are good, you can make a contact almost regardless of power….but when they’re not so good, flicking on the amp can give just enough punch to be heard.

Tristar likes this post

Back to top Go down
Bean
Major contributor
Major contributor

Times Thanked : 6

PostSubject: Re: Disappointment In Ham Radio   radio - Disappointment In Ham Radio - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 02, 2022 9:25 am

Thing is how many radio's out there are calibrated to 6dB per S point ? , maybe some of the older ones but my FT991A and FTDX10 are much more like 2.5>3 dB per S point at the lower end of the scale S 5 or below and in my own tests signals at S5 from someone running 100w drop to around S1 when they switch to 10w. An Indian amateur did a test of randomly sampled rigs and the FT991A didn't get close to the IARU standard till S7 (6.8 for the FT991A- S8 =8.2 for the 991a and S9= 9+4dB for the 991a )  with S1 by the IARU standard an S4 on the 991a he tested and these sort of results were true across the board for the manufactures/rigs he sampled. YMMV

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: Disappointment In Ham Radio   radio - Disappointment In Ham Radio - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 04, 2022 3:24 pm

s1 or s9+ not bothered as long as i can make the contact.

TG064 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Paul1963

Call Sign : 26-CT-4612
QTH or Location : Edenbridge kent
Equipment Used : CRT SS6900N,kenwood 440s

PostSubject: Re: Disappointment In Ham Radio   radio - Disappointment In Ham Radio - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 30, 2022 6:12 pm

Hi been a foundation licence holder for near on 10 years and that’s the way I will stay after failing my intermediate course twice by 1 point wouldn’t even adjust the test sheet before they entered it in to there results machine what ever it is they use but come on 1 loser point and I thought they were a good bunch of guys at the club but the real truth was they liked to put the knifes in because I was a naughty M6 liecnce holder who did not want to take a third exam.anyway that’s how I feel about the subject
Regards
Paul
Back to top Go down
Northern Crusader
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : M0GVZ / 26CT1760
Times Thanked : 35
QTH or Location : IO94SA
Equipment Used : Icom 7300, TS480, President McKinley, Albrecht AE6110, CRT Mike

PostSubject: Re: Disappointment In Ham Radio   radio - Disappointment In Ham Radio - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2022 4:43 am

Paul1963 wrote:
Hi been a foundation licence holder for near on 10 years and that’s the way I will stay after failing my intermediate course twice by 1 point wouldn’t even adjust the test sheet before they entered it in to there results machine what ever it is they use but come on 1 loser point and I thought they were a good bunch of guys at the club but the real truth was they liked to put the knifes in because I was a naughty M6 liecnce holder who did not want to take a third exam.anyway that’s how I feel about the subject
Regards
Paul

The exam has a pass mark, get below it you fail it's as simple as that. You're not owed a pass, you have to work for it just the same as everyone else has had to. Why do you think you deserve to be an exception?  If they fiddle the test sheet and get found out which they usually do by people like yourself telling everyone and their dog on CB and Facebook that X radio club will fiddle you a pass if you're close, they can lose their ability to hold exams. 

It's nothing to do with you being a M6 who doesn't want to take a third exam and everything to do with the fact there's a pass mark and you didn't get it. A good bunch of people don't help someone cheat and fiddle their way through life and if that's what you think good people do then you need to change the circle of friends you have.
Back to top Go down
43CT016
Major contributor
Major contributor
43CT016

Call Sign : 43-CT-016
Times Thanked : 22
QTH or Location : Perth
Equipment Used : iCom IC-7610/IC-9700/IC-705

PostSubject: Re: Disappointment In Ham Radio   radio - Disappointment In Ham Radio - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2022 8:22 am

Paul1963 wrote:
Regards
Paul

I think the world has enough problems since this "everyone gets a trophy" thing came in, without us bringing the entitlement to radio.  Wonder if HGV or train drivers, or maybe paramedics or Doctors should be gifted a pass too?  Can't see any issue there.... 

Sorry mate, but a pass is a pass, and less than the pass mark is a fail.  In the unfortunate event that you fail, I was taught to have another go, and simply try harder.  These days, everyone feels they're owed something... Rolling Eyes

If you'd been doing an electronic exam, the computer isn't going to add one to your score, so why should the guys at the club?

There's absolutely nothing wrong with staying at the level you're comfortable at either, BTW.
Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Disappointment In Ham Radio   radio - Disappointment In Ham Radio - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2022 10:46 am

Paul,

You should really be congratulating yourself that you managed as well as you did and only missed by one point! radio - Disappointment In Ham Radio - Page 3 1f44d 

However you should really be kicking yourself that you did the same thing again on a second attempt the first showing that you needed a bit more study.

It's all too easy to 'blame' someone else or the 'system' when we face apparent failure as it's much harder to think that it could have been our own fault in any way. But there really is no such thing as 'failure' just another opportunity to try again to be a success.

We don't "fail" tests, exams or other such...we either pass or we don't.

The best thing to do is simply suck it all up and either study some more for another attempt or even be happy with where you are.

I've come across plenty of M3's, M6's and even M7's like myself that are great Amateur Radio operators and also do very well despite their 10 Watt limit. We're extremely lucky to have a system that although not exactly perfect does allow people of many different levels the access to bands and frequencies that we have. (I know I do.)

For myself I'm very happy as a Foundation holder doing unbelievable things with radio that I never expected. Not once have I griped about the apparent lack of power and if anything it gives me the determination, patience and strive for knowledge to become a more successful operator than I would have otherwise.

If they handed out licences like candy or we could simply buy a radio, powerful linear, big antenna etc. the hobby would have become a mess and most likely we'd have lost the privileges of radio transmission available to us all.

It's not perfect I agree, but it is the best that we currently have and much better than what was available in the past.

For myself I have also faced the feeling of superiority from the odd more 'advanced' licence holders doing their best to make me feel inferior in some way. It's down to their psychological profile more than anything else and in many, many instances I have been made more than welcome by other operators. Best not to take any notice and being left feeling embittered in some way.

Stick with it Paul, continue to be a great Foundation operator and when you feel ready to have another go at the Intermediate should you wish then do so as fully prepared as you can be.

I'm looking closely at the 'Direct-to-Full' with the intention of making an attempt myself. It'll certainly avoid the multiple jump and expense route for me and being disabled the online exam is a bonus. If I do I'll probably still carry on with my QRP activities personally gaining a real sense of accomplishment with it......but it'd be nice to not have to constantly check I'm within my 10 Watt limit. Smile

I wish you all the very best with it Paul.

73's
Victor

SangueG and Tonyvic like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Paul1963

Call Sign : 26-CT-4612
QTH or Location : Edenbridge kent
Equipment Used : CRT SS6900N,kenwood 440s

PostSubject: Re: Disappointment In Ham Radio   radio - Disappointment In Ham Radio - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2022 4:48 pm

Thanks guys
Just felt really bitter and down in the dumps at the time and you either pass or you don’t may be one day I will have another go but it’s still great that I have the M6 licence 
Many thanks

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Disappointment In Ham Radio   radio - Disappointment In Ham Radio - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2022 5:04 pm

It certainly is Paul and your call sign shows that you are indeed a properly licenced Amateur Radio operator. radio - Disappointment In Ham Radio - Page 3 1f44d

(Ignore the naysayers - some are right miserable old buggers! Very Happy )

Hope to catch you on the bands one day on that lovely TS-440s of yours.
(A highly under-rated but more than capable radio much like my old FT-757gx.)

All the very best to you,
Victor

Paul1963 likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Disappointment In Ham Radio   radio - Disappointment In Ham Radio - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Disappointment In Ham Radio
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3