Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
Loft/Attic Doublet Antenna Icon_minitimeToday at 11:59 am by SangueG

» South Coast PMR net report
Loft/Attic Doublet Antenna Icon_minitimeToday at 8:43 am by Razz229

» Thunderpole Galaxy 5/8 antenna now operational
Loft/Attic Doublet Antenna Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:27 pm by GaryWilson

» CT CALLSIGN APPLICATION (Issued)
Loft/Attic Doublet Antenna Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:44 pm by GaryWilson

» New callsing request (Issued)
Loft/Attic Doublet Antenna Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:38 pm by GaryWilson

» hi, I am Indonesia cb ers. my callsign JZ10JEN ..I want have dx callsign.. (Issued)
Loft/Attic Doublet Antenna Icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:43 pm by GaryWilson

» CT Call Sign Request - Accrington (Issued)
Loft/Attic Doublet Antenna Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:41 am by John123

» New call sign request (Issued)
Loft/Attic Doublet Antenna Icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2024 6:00 pm by spod

» Antron 99 install loads of noise
Loft/Attic Doublet Antenna Icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2024 5:03 pm by Nightprowler

Keywords
ss9900 callsign call Mobile sign 9900 display software chart yaesu supply 2022 2023 6900 Baofeng lincoln ALINCO power Mckinley frequency meter list Sirio anytone president antenna
QRZ Database

Loft/Attic Doublet Antenna

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

Loft/Attic Doublet Antenna Empty
PostSubject: Loft/Attic Doublet Antenna   Loft/Attic Doublet Antenna Icon_minitimeWed Aug 24, 2022 9:56 pm

Hi All,

A little while back I made a posting about my loft/attic antenna made out of trash from a skip and one of the wife's coat hangers :-

https://charlietangodxgroup.forumotion.com/t4296-skip-hunting-for-hunting-skip

Well it's working very well allowing me some FT8 action but also grabbed some SSB voice including an Italian SSB QSO. (My only entry for the CT 10m Challenge! Wink )

I'm currently working on a better ATU system being able to load it up from 160m through to 10m and making QSO's on all those bands so far. None too shabby for a bit of wire, (lawnmower lead!), hanging in the attic.

At the time of doing some research on it all I did have some grumbles about ladder line, ATU's etc. from other apparently well informed licensed individuals that did their best to dissuade me from such antics. Luckily however there was at least one CT member, (The DB), who suggested otherwise and I'll always be grateful to such positive thinking individuals.

Now whilst perusing through YouTube I came across a 'suggested' video and with it being linked to a commercial establishment I nearly skipped straight past it.
(Bad enough being constantly bombarded with adverts for things I never use, want, can afford or indeed even need!)

This however was an entirely different kettle of fish....

So I present you with a great video from Peter Waters G3OJV praising the virtues of such antenna systems.

See, told you I wasn't mad.

Some of you may recognise Peter from a particular Ham radio outlet but as this video was such an educational video rather than a commercial sales pitch it doesn't bend or break any forum rules. I know because I cleared it with an admin/mod.  ("How's this Victor" - "Yes, I think that should be OK Victor" - "Great stuff Victor and thanks for all the help" - "You're very welcome Victor". Very Happy )

Anyway, for those of you that either don't want an antenna on display due to nosey neighbours, council officials, H.O.A.'s (USA), Parish Ward 'inspectors', plain weirdos or think you can't fit a HF antenna in a small space.......think again. Loft/Attic Doublet Antenna 1f44d

How does mine perform? I haven't really pushed it much with my 10 Watts and still working on an ATU but it's an Extended Double Zepp up at 10m giving it gain and becoming a slightly too short dipole at 40m (but still great). Loading it on 80m and 160m makes it more NVIS but I've managed contacts on both!
(PSKReporter used for FT8 has given me received signal reports from the USA to Japan as well as Africa and Tasmania......just haven't managed past the usual pile-ups so far! Oh, except Africa. Smile )

So there you go, no excuses for being able to put up at least some form of HF antenna.....

Unless you don't have an attic, maybe live in an apartment?

Then you could always try a magnetic loop and you can build them too!

https://charlietangodxgroup.forumotion.com/t4456-homebrew-magnetic-loop

Enjoy your radio no matter what.

All the best,
Victor
Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC

Loft/Attic Doublet Antenna
Page 1 of 1