Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Winter 11m Challenge - from December 1st 2023 to 31st March 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» 10 Metre Summer Challenge 2024
My first contact was a disaster (help) Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:13 pm by John H

» Tank whip for homebase
My first contact was a disaster (help) Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:40 pm by Hendo

» First homebase
My first contact was a disaster (help) Icon_minitimeYesterday at 4:10 pm by Hendo

» Foundation licence passed!
My first contact was a disaster (help) Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:49 am by Al21

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
My first contact was a disaster (help) Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:20 am by SangueG

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge League Table 2024
My first contact was a disaster (help) Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:15 am by SangueG

» Returning Member / Callsign Re-Issue (Returning Member)
My first contact was a disaster (help) Icon_minitimeSun Mar 17, 2024 10:56 pm by John123

» Southern Area and South Coast SSB Net
My first contact was a disaster (help) Icon_minitimeSun Mar 17, 2024 9:05 pm by Razz229

» Introduction to the group. (Issued)
My first contact was a disaster (help) Icon_minitimeSun Mar 17, 2024 4:52 am by Victor

Keywords
antenna list ss9900 lincoln power display Sirio Mobile sign callsign chart software 2023 frequency yaesu president anytone meter Baofeng 6900 ALINCO Mckinley 9900 call 2022 supply
QRZ Database

My first contact was a disaster (help)

Go down 
+7
Alan - Mirror Man
Cozzmik
Longbow
John123
MV Communicator
WEBBA
joinercb
11 posters
AuthorMessage
joinercb

Call Sign : 108-CT-261
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Lanarkshire
Equipment Used : crt ss6900, maycom em27

My first contact was a disaster (help) Empty
PostSubject: My first contact was a disaster (help)   My first contact was a disaster (help) Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2020 6:53 pm

Hey, i managed to get a contact in Wittenberge Germany today, we exchanged call signs but then he completely lost me with q codes and numbers and phrases to the point I didn’t know how to reply to him , the first one i took a guess at as he named a frequency so i tuned the radio to that and luckily he was their calling my call sign we managed to exchange basics like signal strength and locations but on my part i was mostly acknowledging what he was saying and then returning the same back to him, is there a dx for dummies manual as for all I’m excited about the contact i felt way out of my depth .
Thanks in advance for any help i can get

Craig
108-ct-261
Back to top Go down
WEBBA
WEBBA

Call Sign : 108-CT-259
QTH or Location : Huntly Scotland
Equipment Used : tti660, ft 950, uniden

PostSubject: Re: My first contact was a disaster (help)   My first contact was a disaster (help) Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2020 7:25 pm

The best thing to doo is listen to other operators.
The more you use the more you learn.

good luck

webba
108ct259
Back to top Go down
MV Communicator
MV Communicator

Call Sign : 26-CT-4558
QTH or Location : Wootton Bassett
Equipment Used : CRT Superstar SS-7900, TTi TCB-771, Thunderpole Red Devil, Cobra M75 Power Mic

PostSubject: Re: My first contact was a disaster (help)   My first contact was a disaster (help) Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2020 7:35 pm

Ha ha, yes, can be daunting LOL! there are 'Dummy' guides on amazon, cheap enough https://www.amazon.co.uk/Big-Dummys-Guide-C-B-Radio/dp/0913990043
here are the popular Q Codes used:

QRM Is there any (Man made) interference?
There is man made interference.

QRN Is there any atmospheric noise?
There is atmospheric noise.

QRV Are you ready to receive?
I am ready to receive.

QRZ Who is calling me?
You are being called by . . .

QSY Shall I change to another frequency?
Change to another frequency.

QTH What is your location?
My location is . .

QSL Can you acknowledge receipt?
I acknowledge receipt.
Back to top Go down
https://www.cbtvuk.com/
joinercb

PostSubject: Re: My first contact was a disaster (help)   My first contact was a disaster (help) Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2020 7:39 pm

Thanks i think il write these in my notebook that i keep at the radio Very Happy
Back to top Go down
John123
CT Directors
CT Directors
John123

Call Sign : 26CT763
Times Thanked : 145
QTH or Location : Manchester
Equipment Used : Optima, Superstar 360fm, Stalker 9fdx, President Jack

PostSubject: Re: My first contact was a disaster (help)   My first contact was a disaster (help) Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2020 10:50 pm

Hello Craig,

YouTube can be a good source of info for operating procedure. There are lots of "video-gates" of dx-style conversations (QSO) on there. If you type something like '11m dx' into the search on YouTube it will chuck up loads of videos.

Don't let it put you off, a bit of practice and I am sure you will sound like a seasoned pro.
Back to top Go down
joinercb

PostSubject: Re: My first contact was a disaster (help)   My first contact was a disaster (help) Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2020 11:05 pm

Thanks John , its certainly not put me off, just makes me want to try again i was delighted when he responded to me as I’m running a basic mobile kit
Back to top Go down
John123
CT Directors
CT Directors
John123

Call Sign : 26CT763
Times Thanked : 145
QTH or Location : Manchester
Equipment Used : Optima, Superstar 360fm, Stalker 9fdx, President Jack

PostSubject: Re: My first contact was a disaster (help)   My first contact was a disaster (help) Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2020 11:11 pm

No worries, Craig. Glad it has not put you off. Congrats on the contact too.
Back to top Go down
Longbow

Call Sign : 29-CT-049
QTH or Location : Maynooth
Equipment Used : Baofeng UVR5R

PostSubject: Re: My first contact was a disaster (help)   My first contact was a disaster (help) Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2020 11:41 pm

Don't worry Craig...I had the same happen to me on Sunday. Was on a great Net on PMR on Sunday . Like learning to ride a bike I guess. I'm not going to give up either....it's great fun.
Back to top Go down
Cozzmik
10 + Year member
10 +  Year  member
Cozzmik

Call Sign : 26-CT-465/OP-465/FB-012
Times Thanked : 8
QTH or Location : Kent
Equipment Used : Kenwood ts570dg/Yaesu ft450d/Rm-kl400/Sirio 4000

PostSubject: Re: My first contact was a disaster (help)   My first contact was a disaster (help) Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2020 6:43 am

Does`nt seem like a disaster at all as you made contact and enjoyed the experience.

Well done on the contact and tbh i operate with a relaxed nature and the need for codes and special language maybe second nature after time but that is what i like about 11m..relaxed and no exact rules.

I tend to just chat about worldly stuff once signal reports,working conditions (rig/twig etc) and weather conditions are delt with.

Good to see the excitement in your post and with many more contacts to come it will get better and better..enjoy 73 Sam
Back to top Go down
Alan - Mirror Man
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan - Mirror Man

Call Sign : 108CT233
Times Thanked : 14
QTH or Location : Central Scotland
Equipment Used : CRT SS9900 Beofeng UV5R Yaesu FTDX1200 CRT Micron CRT FP00 Sattelite 2000 antenna ZS6BKW X30 co-linear

PostSubject: Re: My first contact was a disaster (help)   My first contact was a disaster (help) Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2020 7:00 am

It can be a good idea to print these codes off and have them handy as a point of reference, you will notice it's a few of them that get used the most.
I have to admit I nearly fluffed a couple of contacts through sheer excitement, don't worry about it, put it down to experience and have them handy in future.
Nobody will think any less of you as you forgot a couple of Q codes, you will laugh over this in the future I'm sure.

Back to top Go down
alpha_india

Call Sign : 26-CT-3569
QTH or Location : King's Lynn
Equipment Used : CRT One N, CRT SS9900

PostSubject: Re: My first contact was a disaster (help)   My first contact was a disaster (help) Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2020 6:17 pm

Is there anything to lose by saying, "Sorry, I'm new. You're my first contact and I am struggling with the Q codes. Could we please use plain language as well"

no_aneks likes this post

Back to top Go down
GaryWilson
CT Directors
CT Directors
GaryWilson

Call Sign : 26-CT-1836 Ham 2E0GGQ
Times Thanked : 344
QTH or Location : Redcar, North Yorkshire.
Equipment Used : Radios & Wires & Stuff!

PostSubject: Re: My first contact was a disaster (help)   My first contact was a disaster (help) Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2020 7:32 pm

alpha_india wrote:
Is there anything to lose by saying, "Sorry, I'm new. You're my first contact and I am struggling with the Q codes. Could we please use plain language as well"

Definitely nothing wrong with that. 100% the right thing to do.

73's Gary.
Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/2E0GGQ
Royoung1
Royoung1

Call Sign : 26-CT-3618
QTH or Location : West pinchbeck
Equipment Used : Thunderpole t2000,Yaesu ft-77, home brew antenna/antron 99

PostSubject: Re: My first contact was a disaster (help)   My first contact was a disaster (help) Icon_minitimeWed Jun 24, 2020 10:46 pm

A little late but android app called "amateur radio tool kit" has all the question codes 73 codes and other good information and it's handy for other things for building antennas as ect
Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My first contact was a disaster (help)   My first contact was a disaster (help) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My first contact was a disaster (help)
Page 1 of 1