Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» 11m conditions
antenna - Antenna Proximity and Frontend Overload Icon_minitimeToday at 12:11 pm by glenn dog

» CRT space U/ space V
antenna - Antenna Proximity and Frontend Overload Icon_minitimeToday at 11:27 am by 26CT1074

» CW sidesweeper, new project
antenna - Antenna Proximity and Frontend Overload Icon_minitimeToday at 11:01 am by stephen Gunrunner

» EU conditions have started
antenna - Antenna Proximity and Frontend Overload Icon_minitimeToday at 6:04 am by SangueG

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge League Table 2024
antenna - Antenna Proximity and Frontend Overload Icon_minitimeToday at 5:35 am by SangueG

» CT callsign please (Issued)
antenna - Antenna Proximity and Frontend Overload Icon_minitimeToday at 2:23 am by Pozerman1959

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
antenna - Antenna Proximity and Frontend Overload Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:25 pm by Sydthecat

» Siro Boomerang 27A
antenna - Antenna Proximity and Frontend Overload Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:28 am by FreqFreak

» Southern Area and South Coast SSB Net
antenna - Antenna Proximity and Frontend Overload Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:10 am by Razz229

Keywords
Baofeng supply 9900 lincoln anytone meter ss9900 2022 power display software frequency callsign chart yaesu Mobile 6900 ALINCO Mckinley president call sign Sirio list 2023 antenna
QRZ Database

Antenna Proximity and Frontend Overload

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
CyDer DrinKer
Contributor
Contributor
CyDer DrinKer

Call Sign : M3VUI
Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : Somerset
Equipment Used : Yaesu FTDX10- Anytone 2/70 - EFLW-20 , 2/70 Co-Linear

antenna - Antenna Proximity and Frontend Overload Empty
PostSubject: Antenna Proximity and Frontend Overload   antenna - Antenna Proximity and Frontend Overload Icon_minitimeFri Jun 05, 2020 6:11 pm

As the title suggests, how easy it it to cause front end overload damage?

The Context:

I have a 11m vertical dipole on the same mast as my VHF/UHF Antenna,the boom supplied with the dipole is silly short at around 40cm.
therefore I have these two antennas a school ruler apart (for those of you who have only used computers at school that's 30cm lol)

1. Can the HF transmission overload the front end on the VHF/UHF unit or vice a versa or BOTH.
2. Whats the remedy as I need unfortunately both antennas on this mast, will a longer boom up to a meter really make any difference? Perhaps the use of an antenna switch on the back end of the VHF unit so to disconnect the antenna while transmitting on the other (tbh I've seen inside some of the antenna switches and I've been appalled at the poor construction.

Looking forward to you views, keep it relatively simple, my head hurts with it gets all 'Einstein' on my butt!

antenna - Antenna Proximity and Frontend Overload Img_3111
Back to top Go down
Northern Crusader
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : M0GVZ / 26CT1760
Times Thanked : 35
QTH or Location : IO94SA
Equipment Used : Icom 7300, TS480, President McKinley, Albrecht AE6110, CRT Mike

PostSubject: Re: Antenna Proximity and Frontend Overload   antenna - Antenna Proximity and Frontend Overload Icon_minitimeSat Jun 06, 2020 11:38 pm

I expect you'll get some directivity on both of those. I'd also check the tuning, especially on the VHF antenna.

2m amateur band is very close to a 5th harmonic of the 11m band. I'd maybe throw in a low pass filter on the dipole to be sure.

Mobile I've had my screwdriver antenna not much further away from my 1/4 wave 2m antenna on the car and run 100W on 80-10m and 25W out of the dualbander. Been doing this for over half a decade without issue on either.

Paddy likes this post

Back to top Go down
CyDer DrinKer
Contributor
Contributor
CyDer DrinKer

PostSubject: Re: Antenna Proximity and Frontend Overload   antenna - Antenna Proximity and Frontend Overload Icon_minitimeSun Jun 07, 2020 12:30 am

Hi Mike.
I expected some directivity on the dipole which is fine as its solely up for local chat, I had not thought about it so much on the co-linear but i guess having the dipole next to it will effect the radiation pattern somewhat, tuning seems fine on 2m, apparently my meter wont read SWR on 70cms !!
Everyone around here mainly uses repeaters, not much simplex use so that should not really be much of an issue.

Ill pop a low pass filter on the HF side, think i have round kicking around somewhere, although ill probably buy a new one as the one i had seemed to be messing with the SWR at the radio ?
Back to top Go down
Northern Crusader
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : M0GVZ / 26CT1760
Times Thanked : 35
QTH or Location : IO94SA
Equipment Used : Icom 7300, TS480, President McKinley, Albrecht AE6110, CRT Mike

PostSubject: Re: Antenna Proximity and Frontend Overload   antenna - Antenna Proximity and Frontend Overload Icon_minitimeSun Jun 07, 2020 7:05 pm

Yeah a low pass filter shouldn't alter the SWR so either there's a problem with it or the patch lead. There's very little inside them component wise so it may be worth taking the lid off and having a look to see if there's anything obvious.
Back to top Go down
CyDer DrinKer
Contributor
Contributor
CyDer DrinKer

PostSubject: Re: Antenna Proximity and Frontend Overload   antenna - Antenna Proximity and Frontend Overload Icon_minitimeSun Jun 07, 2020 11:33 pm

Ill do just that AND check those leads
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Antenna Proximity and Frontend Overload   antenna - Antenna Proximity and Frontend Overload Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Antenna Proximity and Frontend Overload
Page 1 of 1