Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» crt ss 9900
What radio? Icon_minitimeToday at 4:35 pm by stealth 57

» Διακριτικό κλήσεις ct (Issued)
What radio? Icon_minitimeToday at 2:38 pm by Vasilis

» CT call sign (Issued)
What radio? Icon_minitimeToday at 1:25 am by Mike90

» Alinco DX-10 DAT file
What radio? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 9:30 pm by Alberto Rugarli

What radio? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:43 pm by stealth 57

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
What radio? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:13 pm by VanRougeT4

» Probably only ever buy 1/2 waves for 10m and 11m
What radio? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 1:39 pm by FreqFreak

» Anytone 6667
What radio? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:24 am by Julian brian

» Help needed
What radio? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:02 am by Mighty mutts

Keywords
sign ALINCO Mckinley chart list Sirio callsign 9900 supply software 6900 president yaesu ss9900 frequency Mobile call meter power antenna anytone display lincoln 2022 2023 Baofeng
QRZ Database

What radio?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
43CT016
Major contributor
Major contributor
43CT016

Call Sign : 43-CT-016
Times Thanked : 22
QTH or Location : Perth
Equipment Used : iCom IC-7610/IC-9700/IC-705

What radio? Empty
PostSubject: What radio?   What radio? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 09, 2020 9:53 am

A recent upgrade to my base station amateur HF radio has left me with no TX on 11m, and as it’s under a 5 year warranty, I’m not going to mod it.

I could wideband and use my Yaesu FT-857, but whilst it’s a brilliant all mode HF/VHF/UHF amateur set, it’s fiddly to use and I hate the menu systems compared to my iComs, and particularly it’s limited display. It also usually lives in a Pelican case for portable stuff, so I don’t really want it on the desk in the shack, as one day I’m going to forget to pack it!

So, I think I need something else, hence the question....

Initially, I was thinking a simple Uniden Bearcat 980, as I’ve always liked Unidens, and quite like the look and price of this. It’s about A$220ish here in Aus, from Amazon US.

Before I pull the trigger, I thought I’d better check out the export radios too, and keep coming back to the Anytone 5555 and the CRT SS9900, so am after opinions and impressions from anyone running them. I don’t really need more than 11m, and the only FM CB here is UHF, so the fact they’d do the FM UK and CEPT bands is pretty irrelevant.

So, I guess the question is are they worth spending almost double for what will effectively be used on 11m SSB?

Pros and cons of each?

Thanks, Jeff

Tristar likes this post

Back to top Go down
Red Fox
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Red Fox

Call Sign : 108-CT-255
Times Thanked : 17
QTH or Location : Fife Scotland
Equipment Used : Squawk Boxes & Wires - Both Annoy the other half :)

What radio? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What radio?   What radio? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 09, 2020 10:47 am

Hi Jeff,

I'll throw my tuppence in for what it's worth Laughing

When I decided to return to radio, I looked at a lot of equipment, read a lot of reviews and also asked the guys on here for their invaluable advice.
Although the SS9900 and the Anytone 5555 are great rig's, I found the size of the SS9900 was a little fiddly for my size of fingers where as the Anytone 5555, also known as the SS6900 was larger but the step clarifier and mic reports put me off a little.
There are also a few reviews where there are possible issues with the output transistors when run at full chat for some time.

I finally decided on the CRT ss7900, this is also known as the Anytone 5555N and it seems a decent radio for the money, although I did find the mic reports a little quiet which is down to my soft tone of voice. Nothing a little bit of ingenuity with a drill and file didn't sort by opening the space between the mic hole at the front and the condenser mic inside.

It's easily modified to full export 25.615Mhz -30.1050Mhz if need by a simple solder job on two pads

Hope it's of some use for consideration.

73's

Graeme.
Back to top Go down
Alan - Mirror Man
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan - Mirror Man

Call Sign : 108CT233
Times Thanked : 14
QTH or Location : Central Scotland
Equipment Used : CRT SS9900 Beofeng UV5R Yaesu FTDX1200 CRT Micron CRT FP00 Sattelite 2000 antenna ZS6BKW X30 co-linear

What radio? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What radio?   What radio? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 09, 2020 11:31 am

Having considered both sets myself I decided to go for the ss9900 it has a very usable power output and good strong audio and I have made several good contacts with it recently with the propagation being so good.

I looked at many reviews and I found several were quite critical of the Anytone especially on SSB and it was mentioned it had a reputation for overheating and blowing the finals too.

The 9900 gets hot if you run it at full power on FM but this doesn't seem to be an issue on SSB it would also benefit from a better quality microphone but, in fairness, what radio wouldn't?

The Ss9900 isn't the best looking radio out there and the controls are a touch fidly but based upon functionality and performance I am pleased with it.

Bottom line is, I think it has good usable performance right out of the box but it is always wise to do your due diligence before taking the plunge!

Alan

Back to top Go down
43CT016
Major contributor
Major contributor
43CT016

What radio? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What radio?   What radio? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 09, 2020 11:43 am

Red Fox wrote:

I finally decided on the CRT ss7900, this is also known as the Anytone 5555N and it seems a decent radio for the money, although I did find the mic reports a little quiet which is down to my soft tone of voice. Nothing a little bit of ingenuity with a drill and file didn't sort by opening the space between the mic hole at the front and the condenser mic inside.

It's easily modified to full export 25.615Mhz -30.1050Mhz if need by a simple solder job on two pads

Interesting......turns out it was the 5555N I’d been eyeing up, and I didn’t know there was a non-N version or that it was the SS6900 equivalent that I’d already ruled out.

Mic isn’t an issue, as that’s usually a cheap fix, and I have an Astatic sitting here doing nothing from an old Uniden.

They’re A$350 here compared to the Bearcat at A$220, so still reasonable cost.

I actually like the look of it more than the Bearcat, as it’s closer to my mobile Amateur radios aesthetically.

If you have anything to compare it to, how do you find receive sensitivity and it’s filtering?
Back to top Go down
Red Fox
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Red Fox

What radio? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What radio?   What radio? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 09, 2020 11:56 am

Unfortunately I do not have anything to compare it to.

I would expect the SS9900 to be similar as it is from the same manufacturer, perhaps Alan has a better view on this as he has a few options from his equipment used on the forum.

Back to top Go down
43CT016
Major contributor
Major contributor
43CT016

What radio? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What radio?   What radio? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 14, 2020 7:42 am

Well, sometimes these things answer themselves...had a mate offer me a swap on my FT-857 for his FT-891. I quite fancy the newer radio, and adding a couple of jumpers seems to mod it, so that'll be my new CB/portable HF radio.

Tristar likes this post

Back to top Go down
Red Fox
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Red Fox

What radio? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What radio?   What radio? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 14, 2020 8:10 am

Great news Jeff,

Glad you have it sorted, enjoy the new kit.

73's

Graeme.

Tristar likes this post

Back to top Go down
Coyote
Contributor
Contributor

Call Sign : 2-CT-216
Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : Palmdale California
Equipment Used : Base RCI 2950 Mirage, Mirage M75 Amatuer Bi-Linear Amplifier,with a Antron 99 base station antenna, Mobile radio Cobra 29 LTD Classic and Wilson 1000 Mag Mount Antenna, Marko F100 Amplifier.

What radio? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What radio?   What radio? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 29, 2023 11:23 pm

I run a Uniden Bearcat 980SSB radio as a base station radio with a Antron 99 antenna, works great,i am pleased with the performance, it's a great little radio as long as you use it indoors and not as a mobile, the screen has the tendency to fade out if left out in bright sunlight.

I also run a RCI 2950 Mirage as my mobile radio which i also like, i've gotten good reports on both radios on AM and SSB.

Last edited by Coyote on Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
KhannaeeM
KhannaeeM

Call Sign : 108-CT-357
Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : Glasgow
Equipment Used : Rotel 240-Superstar 2000-Maxcom 4E

What radio? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What radio?   What radio? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 15, 2023 11:55 pm

Sad to see,the old rigs are going obsolete.Oh the Cobra,the Jackson,the Lincoln,the Shogun
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

What radio? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What radio?   What radio? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What radio?
Page 1 of 1