Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» CT call sign (Issued)
Ham v Pirate Icon_minitimeToday at 1:25 am by Mike90

» Alinco DX-10 DAT file
Ham v Pirate Icon_minitimeYesterday at 9:30 pm by Alberto Rugarli

Ham v Pirate Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:43 pm by stealth 57

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
Ham v Pirate Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:13 pm by VanRougeT4

» Διακριτικό κλήσεις ct (Issued)
Ham v Pirate Icon_minitimeYesterday at 1:49 pm by babis3g

» Probably only ever buy 1/2 waves for 10m and 11m
Ham v Pirate Icon_minitimeYesterday at 1:39 pm by FreqFreak

» Anytone 6667
Ham v Pirate Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:24 am by Julian brian

» Help needed
Ham v Pirate Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:02 am by Mighty mutts

» Is FM CB still alive?
Ham v Pirate Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:26 am by axlejack

Keywords
Mckinley meter callsign ss9900 2022 ALINCO sign 6900 lincoln anytone call display president chart Baofeng frequency supply Mobile 2023 9900 antenna list software yaesu Sirio power
QRZ Database

Ham v Pirate

Go down 
+2
GaryWilson
StevieG
6 posters
AuthorMessage

Ham v Pirate Empty
PostSubject: Ham v Pirate   Ham v Pirate Icon_minitimeFri Jun 26, 2020 1:13 pm

Well ive been sat here in my lockdown tomb twiddling my thumbs, as you do,,, well not quite.
I went against my birth right and lowered the Jolly Roger, yes I started a Foundation course and booked my exam.
The course, very good id say, it put things in a very down to earth way. My fellow students,,,,arrr yes ,,, well it made me realise that what I had suspected was in fact very true. The comments and attitudes ive come across proved one thing to me... The proper Hams the old hands with proper numbers are on the whole a good bunch. Then we come to the, what I call the Micky Mouse numbers........Their attitude to other users ranked with tar and feathers and burning at the stake. So in conclusion.... I will finish the course, I will sit the exam. Should I pass then great, if not there wont be a rematch.. and for sure I wont be using an M7 number or paddling in the 2 mtr pond. I have to be honest if they are a sample of the NEW HAM ill stay an OLD PIRATE ......

26CZ455
Back to top Go down
StevieG
Major contributor
Major contributor
StevieG

Call Sign : 26-CT-3239 , Jolly Roger 272, 26-TG-987 , 26-RB-060 , 26-CO-3239
Times Thanked : 120
QTH or Location : SW London
Equipment Used : Icom IC 7610, Stryker sr955hpc, Colt Excalibur SSB, President GrantII JacksonII McKinley EU, CRTSS6900N,CRTSS9900, KPO DX5000 Plus, Cobra 148 GTL-DX MK2, Cobra 2000 GTL, Zetagi B550p, Bremi BRL200, RM KL200P, KL203P, KL703, Sirio 4000, Sirio 3000 Bull, Stryker SR-A10, Antron99 Fire up , Hawkins Thunderbolt SSD58+ , Sirio 827, Heil pro micro headset, KPO NM532-KPO NM452- Astatic 575M6 Astatic D104 Silver Eagle, Delta M2 , UR6QW 8 Band eq, Uniden and AOR scanner

Ham v Pirate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ham v Pirate   Ham v Pirate Icon_minitimeFri Jun 26, 2020 3:24 pm

Know what your saying Tom, hope it goes well for you, not for me I'm afraid but hope it opens doors to a new part of the hobby for you.
Back to top Go down

Ham v Pirate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ham v Pirate   Ham v Pirate Icon_minitimeFri Jun 26, 2020 5:40 pm

Hi Steve,
Don't know about new parts, theres nowt wrong with the old parts lol lol and my parts are very old lol,,,,,, it wont change anything for me ill still free band till the cows come home. lol only need the ticket to stop "him nextdoor" moaning about my antennas,,,, I told him I was a Ham and his answer was " guess I got to put up with it then. So I put his mind at rest, I told him hes 20 years older than me so wont have to look at them for tooooo long ,,,, didn't go down well lol lol , Must dash got to nail this Jolly Roger to my mast ;o)

Best 73s

ps, he's a mate really but we love to have a pop now and then keeps the ticker going
Back to top Go down
GaryWilson
CT Directors
CT Directors
GaryWilson

Call Sign : 26-CT-1836 Ham 2E0GGQ
Times Thanked : 350
QTH or Location : Redcar, North Yorkshire.
Equipment Used : Radios & Wires & Stuff!

Ham v Pirate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ham v Pirate   Ham v Pirate Icon_minitimeSat Jun 27, 2020 8:01 am

Hello Tom,

Many of us here do Amateur and C.B. radio. I really think the snobbery you have experienced is a minority of individuals. When you have you Ham ticket you get a massive chunk of radio spectrum to play on. Because we are at solar minimum I spend the majority of my limited radio time on 20/40 meters where good DX opportunists still exist. It's all radio to most of us mate and the majority of radio amateurs started using C.B. anyway. Very Happy

73's Gary.

saltire likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/2E0GGQ

Ham v Pirate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ham v Pirate   Ham v Pirate Icon_minitimeSat Jun 27, 2020 9:43 am

Hello Gary.

I couldn't agree more matey. Like I said it seems to be mainly the wanabies and newbies. If im honest ive not come across an old hand that had this quirk,,,,, the worse ive had from a true Ham is,,, Your not a Ham I cant talk to you , sorry,,,, which is fair enough he was just doing things right and full respect to the chap,,,, but this new breed, well I think they would be better off watching eastenders..

Yes im itching to give the HF bands my full attention.

Best 73s Tom
Back to top Go down
Bovril

Call Sign : 26-CT-3694
Times Thanked : 2
QTH or Location : Ruislip, London.
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT2000D

Ham v Pirate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ham v Pirate   Ham v Pirate Icon_minitimeSat Jun 27, 2020 12:59 pm

There's plenty of old hams out there who started off as illegals. Experimenting and so such then finally got the bug and took the exams.
Back to top Go down

Ham v Pirate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ham v Pirate   Ham v Pirate Icon_minitimeSat Jun 27, 2020 1:57 pm

Very true, but its not about HOW you get there its the attitude before and after you arrive, and I have to admit there are some I don't want to be associated with on the air or off and that goes for CB and HAM.
Many year ago when you had to build your own radio I could understand those guys, they were a cut above the rank and file and all due respect to them, but in the real world today a brain surgeon and a tree surgeon can walk into a shop and buy the same radio, same antenna and use the same Q codes there is no difference so why the snobbery lives on beats me, especially when 90% of it seems to come from people that have yet to obtain a ticket or are waiting for the ink to dry. lol Ok rant over lol...........

70thirds Tom
Back to top Go down
stephen Gunrunner
Major contributor
Major contributor
stephen Gunrunner

Call Sign : 26CT526/MR021/M6XXX.
Times Thanked : 10
QTH or Location : wooler north northumberland or some were near it
Equipment Used : mobile 4000hp base A99 radio base magnum257hp mobile magnum 257 standed power

Ham v Pirate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ham v Pirate   Ham v Pirate Icon_minitimeSat Jun 27, 2020 7:30 pm

so true there is some great hams and some pure bad ones,passed my test
and was told no more cb for you, I would come club nights with my sirio 4000 on my car
and get some bad looks. they would not talk to me in the club house and the local repeater
GB3BT they could be ten and they all ignored me, so I put my 2m 70cm pmr antenna up to 10m I was living at 990ft asl could open gb3bt on 1w so looked around and found a repeator in fife, so been
been in north Northumberland I opened the repeater it my be a fluke, then I got a reply come on lets
chat and away it went I was using a little more then 10w I use to go there all the never
bothered with the local repeater and the sent me repeater fees, I said I am not paying them I never go on it payed the fees for fife then some one twigged I was getting out well, I was made welcome and no bad ass lot I told them what had been going and the reply was we need every one in this hobby as it will die, my kenwood 2m radio and my 70cm hand helds to yes there many that are great hams but minority are getting bigger I give up ham and do my own then now a cb Pirate

Pagan likes this post

Back to top Go down

Ham v Pirate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ham v Pirate   Ham v Pirate Icon_minitimeSat Jun 27, 2020 8:45 pm

I hear many stories about 2mtr and repeaters and I have to be honest all they did was convince me to stay on HF with a little dabble on pmr ( handy when im out shooting or fishing). Just my opinion but 2mtr seems to me no better than 4watts on 27mhz and if your going to use repeaters its no more than a fancy mobile phone, you make a call to an antenna/repeater the server does the work and calls the number you want,,,,,,,,,, wheres the radio in that,,,,,, To me Ham or Cb radio is you a rig and a twig,,,, and you make them work you find the contacts,,,,,,,,,,,, is it me am I turning into a grouch,,,,,,,,,, or have I missed the point.

70thirds matey, keep the jolly roger flying
Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

Ham v Pirate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ham v Pirate   Ham v Pirate Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2020 8:59 am

26cz455
I am with you all the way 100%.
Used to pirate many many years ago and went to a local ham club.
When one found out i used cb a lot they all started to blank me but that was a long time ago.
Went to a weekly class to get my ticket and they all started talking to me again.
Back to top Go down

Ham v Pirate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ham v Pirate   Ham v Pirate Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2020 2:09 pm

Well I found all the ( from want of a better word) snobbery came from hams to be and the new born, never had any from the old hands,,, as ive said worse I got from them was the " Not allowed to talk to pirates" which is fair enough... the thing that hit home to me the most is how it turned me well off 2mtr, I just don't want to mix with people like that...... I think im going to run for Prime Minister, my policy will be No antenna restrictions, No power limit, Free radio and No planning permission, Oh and assisted payment plans for first time Yaesu buyers,,,,,,,,,,, lol lol
Back to top Go down
Sgt Bilko
Major contributor
Major contributor
Sgt Bilko

Call Sign : 108 ct 302 - mm0ibe
Times Thanked : 17
QTH or Location : Prestonpans. East Lothian
Equipment Used : SS9900

Ham v Pirate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ham v Pirate   Ham v Pirate Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2020 3:31 pm

Personally i think a lot of " NEW HAMS " only get the licence because it's easy and it gives them an excuse for using HF sets out of band and having larger antenna's on show.
I don't have any problems with that but i would like to see more progressing.

Paul.
Back to top Go down

Ham v Pirate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ham v Pirate   Ham v Pirate Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2020 5:25 pm

Hello Paul,

Quite right matey, I read something somewhere that the rsgb is going to do the inter and in time the full exam online..... Bring it on it gives us mobility challenged a chance

Tom
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Ham v Pirate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ham v Pirate   Ham v Pirate Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ham v Pirate
Page 1 of 1