Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Callsign Request (Issued)
Inline antenna matcher Icon_minitimeToday at 8:30 pm by Andy T

» Baluns not working
Inline antenna matcher Icon_minitimeToday at 7:55 pm by VanRougeT4

» Amateur Radio is an expensive hobby!.......?
Inline antenna matcher Icon_minitimeToday at 7:40 pm by peewee norfolk

» Dipping my toes into HF
Inline antenna matcher Icon_minitimeToday at 7:35 pm by peewee norfolk

» 11m Call sign request
Inline antenna matcher Icon_minitimeToday at 6:54 pm by Lemmy

» HF Contacts 10m
Inline antenna matcher Icon_minitimeToday at 6:50 pm by SangueG

» I blame our Victor.
Inline antenna matcher Icon_minitimeToday at 4:36 pm by Victor

» Hi to all :) (Information Requested)
Inline antenna matcher Icon_minitimeToday at 4:06 pm by Victor

» Call Request (Issued)
Inline antenna matcher Icon_minitimeToday at 2:40 pm by Shawsax

Keywords
2023 ss9900 president frequency lincoln 2022 sign call power 9900 display 2024 antenna list software 6900 chart Sirio meter Mckinley anytone yaesu supply 2011 ALINCO callsign
QRZ Database

Inline antenna matcher

Go down 
+2
Templar
Nik70UK
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Nik70UK

Call Sign : 26-CT-3648
Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : Camborne
Equipment Used : CRT SS7900

Inline antenna matcher Empty
PostSubject: Inline antenna matcher   Inline antenna matcher Icon_minitimeSat Jul 11, 2020 12:14 pm

Hi guys, could someone please help me. Due to restrictive room in my garden i have a t2lt on a 30ft flagpole. I have tried and tried to get a reasonable swr reading. Anyway I want to get an in-line antenna matcher, something like the Zetagi mm27. As I already have an swr meter, how do they all connect? I suppose what I'm asking is do i need another patch lead, as i cant get my head around how it all fits together! Many thanks in advance. Nik
Back to top Go down
Templar
Contributor
Contributor
Templar

Call Sign : 26-CT-3550 Ham:- M7DEW
Times Thanked : 3
QTH or Location : Huddersfield West Yorkshire. UK
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A. Stryker HP-955. CRT SS 6900n. CRT Micron

PostSubject: Re: Inline antenna matcher   Inline antenna matcher Icon_minitimeSat Jul 11, 2020 3:41 pm

Hi Nik
Get on YouTube, plenty of good videos on there to explain what you want to know. 
Don't go for the MM27, invest the extra and get the Zetagi TM999. It's a matcher/ swr/power meter all in one. Then take your existing SWR meter out of line. Not super accurate but good enough for what we need and a very handy bit of kit IMHO. Yes you can buy MFJ or LDG ect but they are very expensive. I've had mine for ages and it works for me flawlessly. They are currently about £50 from Nevada radio Portsmouth.
Hope this helps, enjoy your radio. 
Cheers 
Dale 
26-CT-3550

glenn dog and Nik70UK like this post

Back to top Go down
Nik70UK

PostSubject: Re: Inline antenna matcher   Inline antenna matcher Icon_minitimeSat Jul 11, 2020 3:58 pm

Hiya Dale, weirdly enough I couldn't find one video showing how they were set up, but I probably did a 'man' look lol😂
At the moment Nevada are selling that particular unit for £44.95 so thanks, I think I may well order one now! Just one more question if I may. Is it ok to keep inline all the time or better to remove after each use?
Thanks for your input, much appreciated  Dale!
73's
Nik
Back to top Go down
Templar
Contributor
Contributor
Templar

Call Sign : 26-CT-3550 Ham:- M7DEW
Times Thanked : 3
QTH or Location : Huddersfield West Yorkshire. UK
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A. Stryker HP-955. CRT SS 6900n. CRT Micron

PostSubject: Re: Inline antenna matcher   Inline antenna matcher Icon_minitimeSat Jul 11, 2020 4:14 pm

I'm sure there will be some one who will explain the ins and outs for you later on, (if you don't find a video in the meantime) it's weekend and a lot of the guy's have families or are maybe having a pint, I'm sure you understand. 
There's a lot of helpful people on here. 
I keep mine permanently in line, then I can constantly monitor the SWR /PWR readings or make an adjustment when needed. 
Cheers

Nik70UK likes this post

Back to top Go down
Nik70UK

PostSubject: Re: Inline antenna matcher   Inline antenna matcher Icon_minitimeSat Jul 11, 2020 4:26 pm

Thanks again Dale, in that unit you mentioned I know how to set that up, it was just if I bought the mm27 with my Smswr meter I wasn't sure about. It's good to know you can keep it attached, saves a lot of cable swapping, so thanks, with that info I'm now going to purchase one. Cheers Dale!

Templar likes this post

Back to top Go down
Northern Crusader
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : M0GVZ / 26CT1760
Times Thanked : 35
QTH or Location : IO94SA
Equipment Used : Icom 7300, TS480, President McKinley, Albrecht AE6110, CRT Mike

PostSubject: Re: Inline antenna matcher   Inline antenna matcher Icon_minitimeSat Jul 11, 2020 8:59 pm

If you're going to use a matcher you're going to need to keep it inline all the time.

If using a separate matcher it goes...

Radio --> SWR Meter --> Matcher.

If you decide to run an amp that goes between the radio and the SWR meter.

Templar and Nik70UK like this post

Back to top Go down
Nik70UK

PostSubject: Re: Inline antenna matcher   Inline antenna matcher Icon_minitimeSat Jul 11, 2020 10:38 pm

Northern Crusader. Many thanks for your input. Also thanks for mentioning the amp. At this time I haven't any plans for one,  but saying that, I know in the future it may be the difference between getting heard or not, so thanks for that advice my friend. 
73's
Nik
Back to top Go down
GaryWilson
CT Directors
CT Directors
GaryWilson

Call Sign : 26-CT-1836 Ham 2E0GGQ
Times Thanked : 378
QTH or Location : Redcar, North Yorkshire.
Equipment Used : Radios & Wires & Stuff!

PostSubject: Re: Inline antenna matcher   Inline antenna matcher Icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2020 10:03 am

Hello Nik, 

If you are just using the one band my advise would be to sort out the antenna issue. You should be able to cover the majority of the 11 meter band using the T2LT with perhaps a bit of tuning at the band edges. Remember a matcher will only present the desired 50 ohm load to your radio. For a single band I would make sure the antenna is properly tuned and resonant in the first place. 

73's Gary.

The DB, Templar, 43CT016, Mitch and Nik70UK like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/2E0GGQ
Nik70UK

PostSubject: Re: Inline antenna matcher   Inline antenna matcher Icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2020 4:09 pm

Hi Gary, thank you for the advice. Yes I couldn't agree more, and have now managed to get a 1.4 across 1-40. I think the issue was damp in the connector between the coax and plug. I have dried everything out and used self amalgamating tape, so fingers crossed! Appreciate your time.  Very Happy
Regards
Nik

GaryWilson likes this post

Back to top Go down
Northern Crusader
Major contributor
Major contributor

Equipment Used : Icom 7300, TS480, President McKinley, Albrecht AE6110, CRT Mike

PostSubject: Re: Inline antenna matcher   Inline antenna matcher Icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2020 10:04 pm

Always nice when you can find a fault. Nothing worse than something that looks like it should be working properly but doesn't.

GaryWilson and Nik70UK like this post

Back to top Go down
Nik70UK

PostSubject: Re: Inline antenna matcher   Inline antenna matcher Icon_minitimeMon Jul 13, 2020 8:37 am

Northern Crusader wrote:
Always nice when you can find a fault. Nothing worse than something that looks like it should be working properly but doesn't.
That's very true bud, well as a newbie I kind of thought I was doing something wrong but all seems to be reasonably set up. I just wish I could have a more permanent antenna up, its something I'm looking into at the moment.
Back to top Go down
Northern Crusader
Major contributor
Major contributor

PostSubject: Re: Inline antenna matcher   Inline antenna matcher Icon_minitimeMon Jul 13, 2020 4:03 pm

For DXing most people are able to put up a dipole in an inverted V configuration. It would be about 10ft from tip to tip, although you could let a bit of the end of each leg hang vertically, with a pole in the middle to support the centre and it'll work well with the centre at just 16ft which is fishing pole territory. Use grey wire and apart from the pole it's almost invisible. Put it running north/south or slightly towards north east/south west and you'll get into Europe great guns as well as the USA if it ever comes in. Won't be much good for local contacts though.

Victor and Nik70UK like this post

Back to top Go down
Nik70UK

PostSubject: Re: Inline antenna matcher   Inline antenna matcher Icon_minitimeMon Jul 13, 2020 4:10 pm

Hi there many thanks for the advice. I will have a look into that, all depends on what the ball and chain says to be honest. I'm a little limited on space, but that idea could work well so cheers for that! 😁
73's
Nik
Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 371
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Inline antenna matcher   Inline antenna matcher Icon_minitimeMon Jul 13, 2020 5:12 pm

Hi Nik,

Nice one sorting out your T2LT. Always worth a second look, a bit more more work and then jobs a good 'un Smile
Really helps getting good suggestions by a nice bunch such as on here.

Conor's suggestion of a simple inverted V dipole is a good one for the DIY antenna brigade, so I second that idea.
Slung one up myself, hangs in the loft and cracks into Europe on the sporadic-E skip. As he rightly points out though, useless for local work!

I too have a "station manager" who up to now still tells me I can't have a big antenna on the house Wink

I'll get that vertical dipole up one day without her noticing, I'm sure.

All the best,
Victor

Nik70UK likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Nik70UK

PostSubject: Re: Inline antenna matcher   Inline antenna matcher Icon_minitimeMon Jul 13, 2020 5:19 pm

Haha, that made me chuckle Victor! I must say the t2lt does a good job, but I know it can be bettered, and I do tend to collapse the pole when the wind get up! Not ideal, and as yet not got guy ropes in place...eek! 'Station manager' lol, I must remember that one! 
Kind regards!
Nik

Northern Crusader likes this post

Back to top Go down
Big Massey

Call Sign : 108-CT-307
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : CUMNOCK
Equipment Used : Ss6900n

PostSubject: Re: Inline antenna matcher   Inline antenna matcher Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2021 2:01 pm

I put up an inverted v dipole in my loft and it works really well ( I'm up pretty high ground tho) I also in the loft fitted a thunderrpole grounding kit with a red devil modulator and it slightly betters the dipole on transmit also have the swr down 1:1:2 on both I can't have an outdoor antenna just now due to renovation work
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Inline antenna matcher   Inline antenna matcher Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Inline antenna matcher
Page 1 of 1