Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
Calling - CALLING ALL NEW HAMS Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:23 pm by Mr T

» gre 225 radio scanner
Calling - CALLING ALL NEW HAMS Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:10 pm by rabbi

» crt ss 9900
Calling - CALLING ALL NEW HAMS Icon_minitimeYesterday at 9:21 pm by John123

» Διακριτικό κλήσεις ct (Issued)
Calling - CALLING ALL NEW HAMS Icon_minitimeYesterday at 2:38 pm by Vasilis

» CT call sign (Issued)
Calling - CALLING ALL NEW HAMS Icon_minitimeYesterday at 1:25 am by Mike90

» Alinco DX-10 DAT file
Calling - CALLING ALL NEW HAMS Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2024 9:30 pm by Alberto Rugarli

Calling - CALLING ALL NEW HAMS Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2024 8:43 pm by stealth 57

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
Calling - CALLING ALL NEW HAMS Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2024 8:13 pm by VanRougeT4

» Probably only ever buy 1/2 waves for 10m and 11m
Calling - CALLING ALL NEW HAMS Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2024 1:39 pm by FreqFreak

Keywords
display call antenna 6900 chart meter yaesu Mckinley lincoln 2023 2022 callsign ss9900 sign frequency supply Baofeng power anytone Mobile list president Sirio 9900 software ALINCO
QRZ Database

CALLING ALL NEW HAMS

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

Calling - CALLING ALL NEW HAMS Empty
PostSubject: CALLING ALL NEW HAMS   Calling - CALLING ALL NEW HAMS Icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2020 7:39 am

Hi all,

Hopefully the title got your attention Wink

Are you a newly licenced/qualified Radio Amateur? Did lockdown throw you down the path? Did a return to CB fire up the juices to progress further?

Whatever the reason it'd be great to hear your stories and experiences.

I know from some of the postings here on Charlie Tango that people have successfully obtained their licence and rewarded with a spangly new call sign. It would be great for others who are considering taking this route to hear how you went about it.
Did you take an online course? What was required and how did you find the experience.
Did you wing it and plonked straight into an online exam? Simply read the Foundation Licence Manual and took it from there? Did you struggle?

Let us all know, whether briefly, the nitty-gritty of what was required, or simply how you went about it.

It might provide the help or incentive for others to take the same path and it's always good to share.

As a new Amateur, how have you found it?

Is the 10 watt limit a killer? Is radio equipment prohibitive or are you excitedly firing up the airwaves on a HF rig or even simply using a Walkie on local repeaters?
Importantly, are you made to feel welcome by other Amateurs? Do you feel dumbed down as a 'newbie' or offered reassurance and help as a new licence holder?

All these experiences shared could offer help or hope for others considering the same.

Seems like a lot of questions I know, I bet people have a lot of other questions too.

Up to now we've had the postings "I passed my foundation exam" and replies of "Yay, well done".....
.....a little bit more info may well help others and wouldn't that be a warm fuzzy feeling when they thank you for your insight Smile

Who knows? Maybe you'll even tempt this old stick in the mud CBer Wink

Look forward to hearing from you and adding to the Charlie Tango experience.

All the best,
Victor

John123, GaryWilson, Paddy, glenn dog and Alan - Mirror Man like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC

PostSubject: Re: CALLING ALL NEW HAMS   Calling - CALLING ALL NEW HAMS Icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2020 9:00 am

I tried to get my HAM licence many times but keep failing the test. I just can't master that dam HAM chuckle.
Morse code no problem 20wpm.
Back to top Go down
Knig

Call Sign : 137-CT-006 MD7KNE
Times Thanked : 2
QTH or Location : Isle of Man
Equipment Used : Icom 7100, Pres McKinley

PostSubject: Re: CALLING ALL NEW HAMS   Calling - CALLING ALL NEW HAMS Icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2020 3:45 pm

I have just taken and passed the foundation by taking the Essex Ham fast track course and associated mock tests. Brilliant!! as Arthur would say. 

The course was very comprehensive and although I bought the Kindle edition of the handbook I found that Essex had covered all the points needed for the exam, a 100% pass seems to confirm this :-) For revision I played the videos again and used the brilliant "Amateur radio syllabus - Foundation level" (downloaded from RSGB site) which spells out what each question is based on and what marks are assigned to them.

"Take your time and read the bloody question" rule applies as a few questions were "not" questions, as in What is not a radio licence class? I did almost click A as the answer as I recognised the first pick as foundation and assumed in my mind they were asking for "what is a radio licence class?"

I had another which was a " all of the above" but unfortunately can't remember what the original question was.

Above all, take your time, there's plenty of it. Most of the answers had 2 which were definitely the wrong answer leaving only 2 to pick from, and always the safest options won out. Also had 2 where height was the answer for a reception improvement type question.

The only other thing I can remember is there were a lot of marks for Bandplan questions, your given the bandplans so use them even if you think you know the answer. One I can remember(ish) is that Mary had a transmitter with an antenna which had a 3db gain, what is the maximum output from the transmitter when using (whatever it was) frequency. The answers were easily worked out from the downloaded forms you need to get before the exam.
That's really all I can remember at the moment, except to reiterate read the question, you have more time than you realise, and use the info given. Oh and Essex Ham course is brilliant!!!

Paddy, Victor and Alan - Mirror Man like this post

Back to top Go down
Toobad
Toobad

Call Sign : 26CT3000/G0NMC
Times Thanked : 3
QTH or Location : Hereford
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-DX3000, Heil PR40, Imax 2000, 80m Delta Loop, GAP Titan

PostSubject: Re: CALLING ALL NEW HAMS   Calling - CALLING ALL NEW HAMS Icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2020 10:54 am

MrTang wrote:
I just can't master that dam HAM chuckle.

Yup, that's what separates us OG Hams from the newbies. I remember back in 1987 when I passed my morse test and was granted an Advanced Licence, I jumped on the first 80m net I came across and, flushed with the confidence of youth, I delivered the "ham chuckle" during the course of an over. Total unmitigated disaster!! I missed both the correct tonal frequency and duration and was met by confusion and indignation. My G0NMC callsign was immediately blacklisted and I was left to wander the LF wilderness for several years knowing I was "persona non gratis" on all those gardening, ailments and ex-military nets that abound the lower frequencies. At least I didn't commit the sin on Top Band as I believe the Post Office would have confiscated my equipment.

Salvation came when I accidentally caught sight of the formula when helping "proper hams" to clear the shack of a silent key. Apparently the regulation chuckle of "huh-huh-huh" should be delivered in the key of C at a peak frequency of 250Hz over a duration of 1.2 seconds. Now armed with a tuning fork, metronome and many many recorded practice sessions, I found I could gain acceptance to just about any net on the bands. I bought the blue corduroy trousers, matching leather sandals and custom-stained cardigan complete with elbow patches. I grew a beard, abandoned all socially accepted hygiene rituals and I haven't looked back since.

So don't lose heart, YOU can do it too. Of course you newbies have got it easy these days with all those weekly lockdown chuckle sessions on VHF and the internet. I look forward to a QSO with all of you one day although, living so close to the Welsh border, most of my time is spent keying over anybody with a  W or 163 in their prefix. It's a thankless job but somebody has to do it.

73 de Trev 26CT3000/G0NMC

Alan - Mirror Man likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/G0NMC

PostSubject: Re: CALLING ALL NEW HAMS   Calling - CALLING ALL NEW HAMS Icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2020 12:52 pm

I'm crying here.😂
Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: CALLING ALL NEW HAMS   Calling - CALLING ALL NEW HAMS Icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2020 6:41 pm

Hi Nigel (Knig),

Thanks for the input and good to hear another recommendation for Essex Ham.
They do a fantastic job with their online courses and I am sure have helped along many an aspiring Amateur.

Good pointers and tips with how you got along with the exam questions. Pretty sure that will help anyone looking to undertake it themselves.

Congratulations on your pass and getting your call sign! Smile
Nice Isle of Man square too Wink

Wish you all the best with your radio adventures and thanks again for your time, much appreciated.

All the best,
Victor

26CT3013 and Alan - Mirror Man like this post

Back to top Go down
saltire
Contributor
Contributor
saltire

Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : North east scotland.
Equipment Used : Stryker 955/Gainmaster .AnyTone778V/U(crap dont buy one!), icom 7300.

PostSubject: Re: CALLING ALL NEW HAMS   Calling - CALLING ALL NEW HAMS Icon_minitimeSat Aug 01, 2020 10:16 pm

Intermediate Exam practical assessment abolished Just read this tonight  i think this is a good thing for folks  as most people dont need to know how to  build or solder a pc board smt has takin over  .I bet all the old timers will be having a rant about this but Get OVER IT  times change the FT8 /FT4  seems all the rage on ham radio no more talking  into the mike  no more sending qsl cards  hook up your pc and just type  low power will get you round the world .
Conrats to all the folks who passed during lockdown   but 11mts is still the best  for actual  dx  contacts .

glenn dog and Alan - Mirror Man like this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: CALLING ALL NEW HAMS   Calling - CALLING ALL NEW HAMS Icon_minitimeSat Aug 01, 2020 10:53 pm

Hi 'saltire',

Yep, think this one has been on the cards for sometime and really it is about time.
I heard about it during my SWL activities.....never have I heard so many Hams complaining on the bands, (except for the usual Wink)

Times move on and the days of hands on electronic appreciation have all but disappeared, especially when it's a 'requirement' to become a radio amateur.

I personally think it's a good move and will break down another outdated barrier for people to move along their progress as a radio amateur.

So here's to all those foundation licence holders, go get that intermediate! Smile

All the best,
Victor

Alan - Mirror Man likes this post

Back to top Go down
26CT3013

Call Sign : 26CT3013
Times Thanked : 1

PostSubject: Re: CALLING ALL NEW HAMS   Calling - CALLING ALL NEW HAMS Icon_minitimeWed Aug 12, 2020 11:19 pm

I did my studying with Essex Ham and with Pete and passed my exam and now a licensed radio ham at ten watts. I am now studying for my intermediate exam it’s a big jump.
Back to top Go down
Knig

Call Sign : 137-CT-006 MD7KNE
Times Thanked : 2
QTH or Location : Isle of Man
Equipment Used : Icom 7100, Pres McKinley

PostSubject: Re: CALLING ALL NEW HAMS   Calling - CALLING ALL NEW HAMS Icon_minitimeThu Aug 13, 2020 12:41 am

@ 26CT3013 Congrats mate, and good luck for the next exam. (Unfortunately???) all is back to normal in the Isle of Man so time is a bit short to do the next course  Smile Suppose I'll just have to make some time before summer ends and I go into hibernation.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: CALLING ALL NEW HAMS   Calling - CALLING ALL NEW HAMS Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

CALLING ALL NEW HAMS
Page 1 of 1