Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Your Amateur station is unique....but just how good is it?
Stealthy Antenna? Icon_minitimeToday at 7:59 am by Victor

» Giving PMR 446 Another Whirl
Stealthy Antenna? Icon_minitimeToday at 6:48 am by SangueG

» New shack in operation.
Stealthy Antenna? Icon_minitimeToday at 6:45 am by SangueG

» Galaxy Saturn modification ( -5khz )
Stealthy Antenna? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:54 pm by John123

» Static/noise
Stealthy Antenna? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:10 pm by John123

» President Himalaya wb half wave
Stealthy Antenna? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:45 pm by John79

» South Coast PMR net report
Stealthy Antenna? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:48 pm by Razz229

» 11m conditions
Stealthy Antenna? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2024 10:50 pm by John123

» Gainmaster 5/8
Stealthy Antenna? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2024 5:06 pm by madmax

Keywords
antenna call anytone Mckinley 6900 Sirio Mobile 2023 yaesu president chart ss9900 callsign frequency 2022 lincoln software sign 2024 power Baofeng list ALINCO 9900 display meter
QRZ Database

Stealthy Antenna?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Tristar
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Tristar

Call Sign : 26-CT-3771
Times Thanked : 3
QTH or Location : Weston-super-Mare
Equipment Used : CRT Millennium 3v hand sets, President Barry2

Stealthy Antenna? Empty
PostSubject: Stealthy Antenna?   Stealthy Antenna? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 14, 2020 10:11 am

Morning All. 

I’m thinking of hiding a Hawkins 1/2 wave antenna in the tree
at the bottom of my garden. 

I have interference from the neighbours about my Thunderpole 1/2 wave on a pole
So trying to not make waves for a while!

I can go back to that one when people aren’t in their gardens very much 
So then they won’t care what’s in the sky!

I was thinking of putting it on a 33ft fibreglass pole (Black) running parallel with the tree trunk 
so it won’t actually be attached to the tree!

Any thoughts/pros and cons?

Thanks

John

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 361
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

Stealthy Antenna? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stealthy Antenna?   Stealthy Antenna? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 14, 2020 11:04 am

Hi John,

All sounds like interesting stuff mate, love a play with antennas Smile

I can see your previous 'legal' argument if you're getting nonsense from the neighbours. Why can't people just "Live & let Live"?
Although I personally took the opinion of not imposing dirty big verticals to my neighbours with every antenna hidden in my loft space....monkeys no see, monkeys no know Very Happy Wink

Does limit me though, not enough room for a vertical, (although I tried a 1/4 wave GP but found an Inverted V dipole miles better).

"Thoughts/Pros/Cons"? I have a feeling you might regret that one Wink

Honestly, if you've ever seen what heated debates arise from antennas it'd make you give up before you start!
(I built a terminated bowtie despite being told not to bother and currently playing with a V style Moxon which is interesting to say the least)

My opinion? Give it a go mate!
Put the bugger up, see how it works......then let us other monkeys know so we can howl impressed at your results Wink

All the best,
Victor

glenn dog, Swadeyboy and Tristar like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Tristar
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Tristar

Stealthy Antenna? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stealthy Antenna?   Stealthy Antenna? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 14, 2020 11:59 am

Haha! 😆
Hi Victor!

Yes I have two antennas in the loft that work reasonably well. 
I have a dipole, slightly inverted to fit the loft that as you would expect is good for distance but not so good for local signals. 

Also a Sirio Signal Keeper, vertical that just fits the height of the loft which does well with local but not as good as the dipole for distant signals. 

Both have to put up with internal interference from my own house which isn’t so bad since we walked around identifying and disposing of problems where possible. But the next door neighbours washing machines! Grief!
They could knock out satellite signals!

That’s why I thought tree at the bottom of the garden could solve the washing machine problems and keeping it stealthy!

Your right. I’m going to put it up and see what happens!

Just waiting for the rain and thunderstorms to stop!😂

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Stealthy Antenna? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stealthy Antenna?   Stealthy Antenna? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 14, 2020 1:08 pm

Sounds like you're already growing the veritable antenna farm John! Very Happy

Same here mate. The 1/4 GP was great for local and the Inverted V for DX, the bowtie is for SWL and I fancy a simple beam hence the Moxon......they keep growing! Wink

Think you're onto something there though mate, get that antenna away from household electricals as much as you can. Should be good.

Keep us abreast of how you do. Love seeing how people get on with things in their radio quest.

All the best mate,
Victor

Tristar likes this post

Back to top Go down
Northern Crusader
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : M0GVZ / 26CT1760
Times Thanked : 35
QTH or Location : IO94SA
Equipment Used : Icom 7300, TS480, President McKinley, Albrecht AE6110, CRT Mike

Stealthy Antenna? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stealthy Antenna?   Stealthy Antenna? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 14, 2020 4:30 pm

Homebrewed Gainmaster using the tree trunk/branches to attach the cable to instead of it being in a fibreglass tube.

Tristar likes this post

Back to top Go down
Tristar
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Tristar

Stealthy Antenna? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stealthy Antenna?   Stealthy Antenna? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 14, 2020 10:02 pm

Hi 👋🏻 
Well it’s up and yes I got bloody soaked but no lightning strikes!
(I’ll count that as a win!😂). 

So far the signals have improved by s2 and the interference has dropped too from s7 to s3!
So far I’m really pleased. 
I’ll play over the weekend with it and see how things level out with hopefully some dry weather!

The coax I’m using is mini 8 low loss so hopefully that will help as I’m using a 65ft length and it’s full stretch in to my radio in the conservatory. The good thing is that the gardens are about the same length that back onto us so apart from led fairy lights there’s a good distance between me and led electrical equipment. 

It’s on a 33ft fibreglass pole so I’m optimistic 😉🏴????????????????????????

Victor and Northern Crusader like this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Stealthy Antenna? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stealthy Antenna?   Stealthy Antenna? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 14, 2020 10:23 pm

Cor, you don't hang about John!! Smile

Considering there's no standard to s-meter counts, (except the S9 'anchor'), that is a flipping impressive difference!
Well worth the rain soaking and so glad you didn't fish a lightning strike from the heavens Wink

monkeymonkeymonkeymonkey Monkeys are well impressed Very Happy

I hope you having a fantastic weekend testing out your new antenna. I'll keep my fingers crossed that the radio gods bless you with some good propogation conditions.

Ha! Well chuffed for you Smile Thanks for posting.

All the best,
Victor

Tristar likes this post

Back to top Go down
Tristar
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Tristar

Stealthy Antenna? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stealthy Antenna?   Stealthy Antenna? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 15, 2020 2:58 am

Hi Victor. 

Just finished chatting for the night. The locals have said they have heard a difference. Clearer signal, dragging less static etc through and my receive signal remains much better. 

I must have got away from most of the nasty interference that I’ve been trying to dodge for the past few weeks! Fingers crossed. 

It was a bit of a sword fight getting the pole up and finding a pathway that it would go. It’s not exactly where I first thought I’d place it as it just wouldn’t go there so it took a bit of wriggle to get it up the 33ft
that I managed. 
I would try putting a photo on the site but being stealthy was also a main goal so all you would see is the bottom of the pole😉

I doubt next door will know where it has gone!🤗
It’s a Hawkins half wave in the tree. 
On Wednesday I put up a Thunderpole half wave at approximately the same height to see how the two 
compared and therefore whether it would be worth trying the one hidden in the tree. 

I was impressed with the Hawkins as there was little between the two so I figured it would be worth the effort doing it. The advantage of the Thunderpole was that it had clear sky. So clear that I could see it from several places around our estate. 
As I need to keep it under the radar I’d love to use it one day but this keeps peace with the neighbours and doesn’t make us a target for evening shoppers!😆👍

I’m also disabled and the effort to do this will be with me for the next few days so I needed to be reassured it had a good chance of success before trying it and so far so good!
Have a great weekend 
Stay safe.

John.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Northern Crusader
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : M0GVZ / 26CT1760
Times Thanked : 35
QTH or Location : IO94SA
Equipment Used : Icom 7300, TS480, President McKinley, Albrecht AE6110, CRT Mike

Stealthy Antenna? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stealthy Antenna?   Stealthy Antenna? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 15, 2020 4:13 am

Know how you feel about paying for stuff you did the day after and following few days, it's like that with my back.

No substitute for height for locals and it sounds like you've done well out of it.

Victor and Tristar like this post

Back to top Go down
Tristar
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Tristar

Stealthy Antenna? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stealthy Antenna?   Stealthy Antenna? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 15, 2020 9:24 am

Yep 👍 
Just going to play with the rig now and see how it goes. 

I’ve got a bucket of pain killers that I CAN take but they either make me dizzy, sleepy or destroys my memory!
I call that one”Pain or brain tablet”!

I either am out of pain but lose my ability to think, read or remember anything!
If I start to read, I will get to the end of the paragraph and remember nothing. 
It’s like early dementia. The drug actually stops the brain making and retaining memory. 

Anyway I try to only break into those when I really have no alternative. 

I hope you are having a pain free weekend and are able to enjoy your radio to the full. 

All the best. 

John
Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Stealthy Antenna? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stealthy Antenna?   Stealthy Antenna? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 15, 2020 10:34 am

You take it easy John.

You've done the hard work, now sit back with a deserved rest up and enjoy your radio with that new antenna setup Smile
Honestly, well chuffed for you. Now reap what you've sown.

(I know what you mean with painkillers mate, but I won't compare notes..... we'll land up sounding like an 80m morning QSO! Very Happy)

All the best and enjoy your weekend,
Victor

glenn dog and Tristar like this post

Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

Stealthy Antenna? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stealthy Antenna?   Stealthy Antenna? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 16, 2020 7:44 am

I live on pain killers and also my memory is none existent these days never thought of the pill's.

Tristar likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Stealthy Antenna? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stealthy Antenna?   Stealthy Antenna? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Stealthy Antenna?
Page 1 of 1