Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» what radio do you wish you never sold
DIY aluminum antennas Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:04 pm by tspirawk@gmail.com

» First dx in 40 plus years
DIY aluminum antennas Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:01 pm by Nightprowler

» Antenna Required.
DIY aluminum antennas Icon_minitimeYesterday at 5:20 pm by Victor

» 10m dxcc ......
DIY aluminum antennas Icon_minitimeYesterday at 1:58 pm by SangueG

» Antenna Advice.....?
DIY aluminum antennas Icon_minitimeYesterday at 1:49 pm by SangueG

» Multimode mobile antenna
DIY aluminum antennas Icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2024 8:36 am by peewee norfolk

» New member call sign request (Issued)
DIY aluminum antennas Icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2024 5:03 am by Victor

» New call sign request (Issued)
DIY aluminum antennas Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2024 10:19 pm by John123

» Call Sign Request (Issued)
DIY aluminum antennas Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2024 6:37 pm by Jimnic333

Keywords
call ss9900 list power supply display sign Mobile chart 2023 Sirio antenna meter lincoln 9900 software president anytone callsign Baofeng yaesu 6900 2022 ALINCO frequency Mckinley
QRZ Database

DIY aluminum antennas

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
karelgol
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
karelgol

Call Sign : 19-CT-024 / PD0GOL
Times Thanked : 6
QTH or Location : Steenwijk, JO32bs
Equipment Used : Dynascan AT5555,Yaesu FT-897, W3EDP junior, MFJ-925

DIY aluminum antennas Empty
PostSubject: DIY aluminum antennas   DIY aluminum antennas Icon_minitimeTue Sep 08, 2020 4:34 pm

When building aluminum antennas, how do you connect the pieces? Any experience with those low temperature welding sticks with flux included? Suppose thats some kind of soldering.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

DIY aluminum antennas Empty
PostSubject: Re: DIY aluminum antennas   DIY aluminum antennas Icon_minitimeTue Sep 08, 2020 8:19 pm

Hi Karel,

I suppose it depends on what kind of antenna you're building and pieces you're connecting really.

Stainless steel fasteners are usually used for fixings subjected to weather conditions as they are more resistant. However they are galvanically incompatible with aluminium. (Look for bimetal reactions and the periodic table.) As such some antennas use plastic fixings to separate the aluminium from the stainless screws etc. There are less problems with stainless fixings on large areas of aluminium and hence why stainless clips can be used on aluminium tubes and small contact threaded sections. (Tap the aluminium to accept a stainless thread and use a washer at the head end.)

There are plenty of homebrew antennas out there on the internet to get some good ideas of fixing systems.

As for aluminium soldering I can only give you my personal experiences.
Basically, a royal pain in the backside! Wink

I had an aluminium heatsink from a radio restoration that had a broken fin and being an old radio a replacement was unavailable. Seeing as I had the fin I too thought about soldering and ordered some fluxed aluminium welding rods. I decided to try it out first on a different aluminium heatsink before repairing the original and glad I did. Would not solder for love nor money despite videos making it look easy!

The solution in the end was to heat the aluminium up first in a kitchen oven to 200'C before attempting the weld. Worked a treat! I did the same for the restoration piece and it worked out great.

But it'll be a little difficult to stick an antenna in the kitchen oven Wink

I suppose the secret is in heating the aluminium to temperature first but a bit difficult with a torch and large section.

So that said, I'd use stainless bolts and plastic washers myself.

Hope that helps.

All the best,
Victor
Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC

DIY aluminum antennas
Page 1 of 1