Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Giving PMR 446 Another Whirl
2 ele quad /P Icon_minitimeToday at 12:19 am by John123

» Galaxy Saturn modification ( -5khz )
2 ele quad /P Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:54 pm by John123

» Static/noise
2 ele quad /P Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:10 pm by John123

» President Himalaya wb half wave
2 ele quad /P Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:45 pm by John79

» South Coast PMR net report
2 ele quad /P Icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:48 pm by Razz229

» New shack in operation.
2 ele quad /P Icon_minitimeYesterday at 12:46 pm by VanRougeT4

» 11m conditions
2 ele quad /P Icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2024 10:50 pm by John123

» Your Amateur station is unique....but just how good is it?
2 ele quad /P Icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2024 8:15 pm by Victor

» Gainmaster 5/8
2 ele quad /P Icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2024 5:06 pm by madmax

Keywords
callsign 9900 antenna 2024 call president Sirio meter 6900 Baofeng display list 2022 yaesu sign ss9900 lincoln anytone software power chart 2023 Mobile frequency ALINCO Mckinley
QRZ Database

2 ele quad /P

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Andy591/P
Andy591/P

Call Sign : M6PXY M0PXY
Times Thanked : 7
QTH or Location : Peterborough
Equipment Used : Kwood TS590, 80ft portable tower . multiple h/b antennas. Acom 1kw amp.

2 ele quad /P Empty
PostSubject: 2 ele quad /P   2 ele quad /P Icon_minitimeSat Sep 26, 2020 2:41 pm

2 ele quad /P 11mtr_19

This is not quite 11mtr, but can be made for 11 very easily. I put this together for a play on 10mtr digi modes. I wanted to see how a 2 ele would perform and how easy it is to build and use etc. If anyone is interested in building a 2 ele quad, I am happy to pass on all the dimensions. low swr and bang on 50ohms.

Andy 591/P

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 360
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

2 ele quad /P Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2 ele quad /P   2 ele quad /P Icon_minitimeSat Sep 26, 2020 5:30 pm

Nice one Andy 👍

You do build some beautiful antennas! Smile

A very gracious offer from you too. If I could get away with it, I'd build one in a shot!
(However, my wife would beat me and the neighbours in my village would burn me in the wicker man!! Very Happy Very Happy)

All the best,
Victor

Andy591/P likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Andy591/P
Andy591/P

Equipment Used : Kwood TS590, 80ft portable tower . multiple h/b antennas. Acom 1kw amp.

2 ele quad /P Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2 ele quad /P   2 ele quad /P Icon_minitimeSat Sep 26, 2020 6:43 pm

HI Victor.
 It is a shame you get your ears bent. This will only be up until Monday eve, unless some good DX comes along.
 I have got a few DX itl so far, ( only at 20ft, too much wind ) opened up to S/America with a couple of Argentina as best. Was chasing Chile but it faded out.
 I will keep you posted on how it goes. 
I wonder what the next one will be. Who knows what my fancy will be.

Andy 591/P

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

2 ele quad /P Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2 ele quad /P   2 ele quad /P Icon_minitimeSat Sep 26, 2020 7:08 pm

Ah, it's not all bad.

My wife is pretty great about it all and the spare room is now fully geared up as workshop/shack/office, a lot of it with her help Smile

As for the neighbours, it won't be long before I get my ticket and then I can waggle my Ofcom paperwork at them! Very Happy

Nice job with the antenna though and great results from it so far. Very impressive.
I shall keep a look out for your antenna adventures, they do make me somewhat excited! Very Happy

All the best,
Victor

Andy591/P likes this post

Back to top Go down
Andy591/P
Andy591/P

2 ele quad /P Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2 ele quad /P   2 ele quad /P Icon_minitimeSat Sep 26, 2020 8:07 pm

Victor.
(Nice job with the antenna though and great results from it so far. Very impressive.
I shall keep a look out for your antenna adventures, they do make me somewhat excited! 2 ele quad /P Icon_biggrin)

If you only knew what I have built in the past, from 21 ele 70cms to 4 ele 20 mtr mono and 40mtr Moxon. All for portable use,LOL

If I like the look or get curious about an Antenna, I will run a design on it, If it looks good I will build one to have a play. 
Quads are the NEW thing for me, the 4 ele I posted was my 1st build. I am sure there will be more.

Andy 591/P

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

2 ele quad /P Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2 ele quad /P   2 ele quad /P Icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2020 7:50 am

And there's me made up with making my very first antenna a 2m/70cm jobby yesterday.
Yes victor got the new toy on the other end lol.(had to be done).
None of my neighbours have actually said any thing apart from "i hope the seagull's don't crash into the long wire" but i don't trust 1 or 2 of them as far as i could throw them the Kippers i call them 2 faced and no gut's.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

2 ele quad /P Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2 ele quad /P   2 ele quad /P Icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2020 9:29 am

Andy,

I'll bet you've made some beauts, impressed with what you've posted here recently! Smile
The engineering skills required to make them portable is what impresses me most.

All the best,
Victor
Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

2 ele quad /P Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2 ele quad /P   2 ele quad /P Icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2020 9:42 am

Alan,

Ha! Very Happy Knew it wouldn't be long before you were playing.

Got to admit, it does get the juices going especially seeing Andy's work.
Like you I've been playing with VHF/UHF antennas recently, the smaller sizes make it all easier material and size wise Wink

Recently played around with a little 1/4 wave GP, then a Dipole and impressed with how much better they are than a 'rubber duck' on the handy. (Two repeaters heard instead of the one!)
Just had a quick play with a full wave loop/quad/diamond this morning for 70cms and found I can now hear three repeaters! Thinking about making a 2m/70cm quad to see how that does.
(Did play around with a so called coaxial collinear design which didn't work at all?!?)

Mind you, all mine have been "bits of wire" affairs so far, nothing as impressive as Andy's work!

All the best,
Victor
Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

2 ele quad /P Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2 ele quad /P   2 ele quad /P Icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2020 10:17 am

Mine is made out of 1/4" copper fuel pipe i pinched from my m8's garage ages ago to make some sort of antenna for scanning but never got round to it.
Yesterday i got 2 lengths of welding rod for the next project but if i get them working who knows what will be next lol.
Playing with the new toy now now i have something plugged into it.
Should really be in my book but got plenty of time as nothing else to do.
   Regards to all.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Andy591/P
Andy591/P

2 ele quad /P Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2 ele quad /P   2 ele quad /P Icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2020 10:29 am

On 70cms antenna, ally welding wire is good to use for the radials. I used nylon chopping board for the insulators.  I must admit, I don't have a workshop, it all used to be done on the kitchen table or floor. The only thing I did buy was a pillar type drill. 
 I have made a few 2 and 70cms dual yagis. they tune up fine on 2 and will get around 1,5swr on 70cms. 

For the driven elements on 2 or 70, always have a 10mm gap on the driven element at centre, take your measurements from the central point and not from the start of the radial.

If you ever want any info, just ask and I will try to help.
Andy 591/P
Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

2 ele quad /P Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2 ele quad /P   2 ele quad /P Icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2020 10:41 am

Nice one Andy 👍
You're an absolute star Smile

I'm sure when I get my ticket and actually start transmitting I may have to build some antennas a bit more permanent than my experimental wire affairs.

You'll definitely be my go to antenna Elmer Smile

Best regards,
Victor
Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

2 ele quad /P Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2 ele quad /P   2 ele quad /P Icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2020 3:15 pm

Andy
Thanks for the tip on the measurement from central point.
Listening to a portable station this morning he was on high ground but some 30/35 miles away but pushing 30+ on my fuel pipe  Very Happy Very Happy ,,,,,Well it's a start the first one ever.
That was just for 2m but started on the 2n/70cm but need the builders merchant in the morning lol.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

2 ele quad /P Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2 ele quad /P   2 ele quad /P Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

2 ele quad /P
Page 1 of 1