Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Giving PMR 446 Another Whirl
DEWD UR0GT? Icon_minitimeToday at 12:19 am by John123

» Galaxy Saturn modification ( -5khz )
DEWD UR0GT? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:54 pm by John123

» Static/noise
DEWD UR0GT? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:10 pm by John123

» President Himalaya wb half wave
DEWD UR0GT? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:45 pm by John79

» South Coast PMR net report
DEWD UR0GT? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:48 pm by Razz229

» New shack in operation.
DEWD UR0GT? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 12:46 pm by VanRougeT4

» 11m conditions
DEWD UR0GT? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2024 10:50 pm by John123

» Your Amateur station is unique....but just how good is it?
DEWD UR0GT? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2024 8:15 pm by Victor

» Gainmaster 5/8
DEWD UR0GT? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2024 5:06 pm by madmax

Keywords
yaesu software ss9900 antenna ALINCO 2024 callsign 2023 call meter sign Baofeng frequency list display power 6900 9900 chart 2022 Sirio Mobile Mckinley anytone president lincoln
QRZ Database

DEWD UR0GT?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
karelgol
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
karelgol

Call Sign : 19-CT-024 / PD0GOL
Times Thanked : 6
QTH or Location : Steenwijk, JO32bs
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-897D, CB silver rod as mutiband HF antenna, OSJ-pole for 2m/70cm, MFJ-925 tuner

DEWD UR0GT? Empty
PostSubject: DEWD UR0GT?   DEWD UR0GT? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 25, 2020 3:32 pm

In another thread i advised building a DEWD because i have modelled one in CocoaNEC and it gives (in theory) an SWR of 1.1:1 between 26.5 and 28.5 Mhz. I find that almost to good to be true, so my question is there anyone who used this antenna and can confirm that theory is right in practice? Before i start building me one?

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 360
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

DEWD UR0GT? Empty
PostSubject: Re: DEWD UR0GT?   DEWD UR0GT? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2020 6:07 am

Hi Karel,

That's probably part of the 'fun' of antenna experimentation, modelling AND building.

I always remember with antennas that 'you don't get something for nothing' so would expect a DEWD to be a little bit down compared to a standard dipole.

Had a similar issue when reading up on terminated antennas, lots of theory, lots of modelling and when I did find those that had actually built them, quite conflicting results. In the end I had to physically build them myself to see the results first hand.
Indeed they are as wide-banded as modelled, (SWR of 2:1 or less across the whole HF band!), but they stink in terms of performance compared to my fan dipole array.
(Built a T2FD, a triple, a terminated loop and a Bonnie Crystal terminated butterfly).

Was it a waste of time? Depends on how you view it, I actually had fun building them and gained hands on experience.

So much so that I modified my dipole array to include zig-zag dipoles for 80m and 10/11m. With a matcher I can bring the low impedance up and now get all the bands of interest for me and much better so than a terminated affair. I can even squeeze a little 160m performance with the matcher and although not perfect, still gives me top band operation. Better than none at all Wink

They say every antenna is a compromise, it's just a case of finding a compromise that fits your needs.

If a modelled antenna looks promising then maybe build one and see for yourself. If you're waiting for someone else to build one you could find yourself with a long wait and like me obtain conflicting results.

Enjoy your experiments.

All the best,
Victor
Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
karelgol
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
karelgol

Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-897D, CB silver rod as mutiband HF antenna, OSJ-pole for 2m/70cm, MFJ-925 tuner

DEWD UR0GT? Empty
PostSubject: Re: DEWD UR0GT?   DEWD UR0GT? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 27, 2020 4:54 pm

It wasn't so much about a waste of time, but about a waste of good aluminum Wink 
And being almost not electronically but mechanically educated i try to keep the antenna as simple as possible. Thanks for commenting.

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 360
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

DEWD UR0GT? Empty
PostSubject: Re: DEWD UR0GT?   DEWD UR0GT? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 27, 2020 5:30 pm

No worries Karel, it was in the spirit of offering help.

Have fun with your antenna work.

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
karelgol
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
karelgol

DEWD UR0GT? Empty
PostSubject: Re: DEWD UR0GT?   DEWD UR0GT? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 29, 2020 12:52 pm

So, tried another design. I'd describe that as a short(20cm) boom 2 element Yagi. 2Dbi extra max gain compared to the DEWD. SWR <1.1 between 27 and 28.5Mhz. Below 2 up to 29.5Mhz. And still simple to build. Thanks Victor for getting me thinking.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

DEWD UR0GT? Empty
PostSubject: Re: DEWD UR0GT?   DEWD UR0GT? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

DEWD UR0GT?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum :: Help and Discussion Forums :: Antenna Discussion-
Jump to: