Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» crt ss 9900
Kl 203p HIGH swr - Page 2 Icon_minitimeToday at 4:35 pm by stealth 57

» Διακριτικό κλήσεις ct (Issued)
Kl 203p HIGH swr - Page 2 Icon_minitimeToday at 2:38 pm by Vasilis

» CT call sign (Issued)
Kl 203p HIGH swr - Page 2 Icon_minitimeToday at 1:25 am by Mike90

» Alinco DX-10 DAT file
Kl 203p HIGH swr - Page 2 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 9:30 pm by Alberto Rugarli

Kl 203p HIGH swr - Page 2 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:43 pm by stealth 57

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
Kl 203p HIGH swr - Page 2 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:13 pm by VanRougeT4

» Probably only ever buy 1/2 waves for 10m and 11m
Kl 203p HIGH swr - Page 2 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 1:39 pm by FreqFreak

» Anytone 6667
Kl 203p HIGH swr - Page 2 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:24 am by Julian brian

» Help needed
Kl 203p HIGH swr - Page 2 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:02 am by Mighty mutts

Keywords
display Mobile power 9900 sign anytone chart 2023 software list supply Sirio antenna ss9900 2022 callsign Mckinley president call 6900 meter frequency lincoln yaesu Baofeng ALINCO
QRZ Database

Kl 203p HIGH swr

Go down 
+6
Mitch
Northern Crusader
Victor
Alan Pilot
NUBSTER
21ASN93
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

Kl 203p HIGH swr - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kl 203p HIGH swr   Kl 203p HIGH swr - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 23, 2020 10:54 am

Hi guys,

What I said wasn't specifically knocking any one manufacturer or country of origin.

The circuits are all the same regardless of manufacturer, compare a RM, Zetagi or Chinese knock off KL circuit and they are all basically the same - wide band RF linear amplifiers.
(Although the 'linear' aspect can be argued Wink)

The circuit is as old as time, originally using a push/pull valve pair, then transistors, epitaxial RF devices and ultimately MOSFETs. The latter being readily available and cheap as chips hence their use. It's as technology progresses and the next wave of cheap devices become available that we start seeing problems, such as MOSFET devices that can switch at higher frequencies.

The 'Ham' linears are usually much more expensive because they have low pass or even band pass circuits to prevent spurious harmonics being emitted. The CB ones don't add such extra circuitry to keep prices low. (Technically a good basis assuming the CB has decent output filtering - but they usually don't.)

These type of amps used to be advertised as CB linears with a typical 26-28MHz range, they now get advertised as 26-30MHz to capture the 10m Ham market. (They're still the same things!) A lot of Hams used to change the MOSFETs out on them to make up cheap 6m amps and indeed nowadays they can be used 'off the shelf' for such frequencies.

Hence my original point, if you are amplifying any harmonics, (especially the secondary at 54-56MHz), it will show a poor SWR when running. The SWR meter won't differentiate what frequency is coming back, just how much.

But I agree Martin, places such as RM and Zetagi etc. have reputations to keep and I personally don't know their supply or manufacturing chain. I just know the circuitry is the same....

Anyway, all of this was trying to help out the original OP with a problem - it'll probably turn out his second hand amp is a duff one. But if you have a nice new shiny rig, new linears and have got a SWR problem....then this knowledge just might help Smile

Just sling in a cheap TVI filter.

All the best,
Victor

NUBSTER likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Kl 203p HIGH swr   Kl 203p HIGH swr - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 23, 2020 12:12 pm

I miss my old Bremi BRL500's Martin Wink
(Used to have some BRL300's too!)

Nothing like that Pi-Network tuning output!

There used to loads of the old PL509/519 handmade jobs around but I haven't seen a set in years.

If anyone reading this doesn't know, the PL509 was a line output or 'sweep' thermionic valve that used to be common in TV sets right up till the early 1980's. Cheap as chips and could be pushed into service as RF linears. Quite often you could dig them out of discarded TV sets so getting them for free!!

Bit harder to stick in the car mobile though Martin! Very Happy

Flip me, happy days. There are new valve amps available nowadays but be prepared to break the old credit card!

NUBSTER likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Kl 203p HIGH swr   Kl 203p HIGH swr - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 23, 2020 3:50 pm

We could have a whole new thread on that Martin!

I remember Frank Mozer's and Crescent Radio. There were more electronic shops in London and surplus outlets than you could shake a stick at. Edgware Rd was full of them, I think Smith's (?) was the big one. I used to do a run for spares, D P Hobbs in Luton, Surplatronics also, if they didn't have the part then onto Watford and often finally landed up in London. I remember a surplus warehouse outlet at Waltham Cross too, can't remember their name but loved the old 'Pie & Mash' shop round the corner! Warmed me up for the motorbike journey back home.

Ha! Definitely off topic now mate!

NUBSTER likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Kl 203p HIGH swr   Kl 203p HIGH swr - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 23, 2020 4:48 pm

No worries Martin, off topic can be enjoyable Smile

We've probably been stood right next to each other and never even known mate Wink
Such is the strange world we live in.

NUBSTER likes this post

Back to top Go down
Mitch
Contributor
Contributor
Mitch

Call Sign : M1TCH
Times Thanked : 8
QTH or Location : Leicester
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-857D, Diamond V2000, Major 3000, President Jackson Mk1, Lafayette AFS-1005, K40 mic, KL203, B550P and Sirio GPE 27 ⅝λ.

PostSubject: Re: Kl 203p HIGH swr   Kl 203p HIGH swr - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 23, 2020 5:20 pm

@21ASN93 Where are you measuring the SWR, exactly? Do you have any power output from the amp into the aerial (or dummy load)? Is there any output to the aerial with the amp connected but switched off?
Back to top Go down
43CT016
Major contributor
Major contributor
43CT016

Call Sign : 43-CT-016
Times Thanked : 22
QTH or Location : Perth
Equipment Used : iCom IC-7610/IC-9700/IC-705

PostSubject: Re: Kl 203p HIGH swr   Kl 203p HIGH swr - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2020 9:25 am

Victor wrote:
We could have a whole new thread on that Martin!

I remember Frank Mozer's and Crescent Radio. There were more electronic shops in London and surplus outlets than you could shake a stick at. Edgware Rd was full of them, I think Smith's (?) was the big one. I used to do a run for spares, D P Hobbs in Luton, Surplatronics also, if they didn't have the part then onto Watford and often finally landed up in London. I remember a surplus warehouse outlet at Waltham Cross too, can't remember their name but loved the old 'Pie & Mash' shop round the corner! Warmed me up for the motorbike journey back home.

Ha! Definitely off topic now mate!

I remember the first (and only "proper") Maplins at Hammersmith before they tried to be a retail consumer electronics chain!

There was Crescent Radio, Watford Electronics, and some other mob who advertised in the radio and electronics mags of the day that I got all my cheap components form in mixed bags...can't remember the name, but as a schoolkid, money was tight!

Can't remember the one at Waltham Cross though....what year are we talking?  I might have found someone older than me! Very Happy

Re the amps...a lot of the Ameritron amps are valve, and are significantly cheaper than the newer solid state ones for a given power output.  If any of the US vendors do them in the Black Fridays sales though, I'm treating myself to the solid state ALS-500M, as it's a "no tune" amp and with our power limit being only 400w PEP and me running a 12v/solar station, it's ideal.

Last edited by 43CT016 on Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:05 am; edited 1 time in total

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Kl 203p HIGH swr   Kl 203p HIGH swr - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2020 10:50 am

Hi Jeff,
(We're totally off topic now, I'm a terrible admin Wink)

Yeah Maplin, I still remember the spaceship on their '79 catalogue! Mixed bags of components - the old 'Bargain Bags'?
Waltham Cross was a guys warehouse, think his main shop was on the Edgeware road, used to do me the odd deal Wink
1980's Jeff.

Luuuuv Ameritrons! Would build a valve linear in a heartbeat....apparently Foundation doesn't allow me to Very Happy

Right, slapped wrists all round. We'll haver to start our own "Trips Down Memory Lane" posting.

NUBSTER likes this post

Back to top Go down
43CT016
Major contributor
Major contributor
43CT016

Call Sign : 43-CT-016
Times Thanked : 22
QTH or Location : Perth
Equipment Used : iCom IC-7610/IC-9700/IC-705

PostSubject: Re: Kl 203p HIGH swr   Kl 203p HIGH swr - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2020 11:06 am

Victor wrote:
Hi Jeff,
(We're totally off topic now, I'm a terrible admin Wink)

Right, slapped wrists all round. We'll haver to start our own "Trips Down Memory Lane" posting.

A proper admin would split the topic and spawn the new one for us old buggers. Wink

NUBSTER and Victor like this post

Back to top Go down
GaryWilson
CT Directors
CT Directors
GaryWilson

Call Sign : 26-CT-1836 Ham 2E0GGQ
Times Thanked : 350
QTH or Location : Redcar, North Yorkshire.
Equipment Used : Radios & Wires & Stuff!

PostSubject: Re: Kl 203p HIGH swr   Kl 203p HIGH swr - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2020 11:42 am

Just a thought, did you re-calibrate the SWR meter after putting the amp in-line?

73's Gary.

NUBSTER likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/2E0GGQ
Northern Crusader
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : M0GVZ / 26CT1760
Times Thanked : 35
QTH or Location : IO94SA
Equipment Used : Icom 7300, TS480, President McKinley, Albrecht AE6110, CRT Mike

PostSubject: Re: Kl 203p HIGH swr   Kl 203p HIGH swr - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 25, 2020 2:19 pm

NUBSTER wrote:
TBH my preference is a  old valve amp but nobody seems make them now well not that I know of 

There are plenty of manufacturers. 

OM Power do a whole range including a 4kW one...
Acom do several.
The Ameritron AL80 is still available to buy new along with several others they do

And that's just from one retailer.

https://www.hamradio.co.uk/accessories-linear-amplifiers-all-linear-amplifiers-pc-843.php

NUBSTER likes this post

Back to top Go down
GaryWilson
CT Directors
CT Directors
GaryWilson

Call Sign : 26-CT-1836 Ham 2E0GGQ
Times Thanked : 350
QTH or Location : Redcar, North Yorkshire.
Equipment Used : Radios & Wires & Stuff!

PostSubject: Re: Kl 203p HIGH swr   Kl 203p HIGH swr - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 25, 2020 4:45 pm

NUBSTER wrote:
GaryWilson wrote:
Just a thought, did you re-calibrate the SWR meter after putting the amp in-line?

73's Gary.
I did explain that to him Gary and didn't really get a answer from the OP unless there was a misunderstanding in translation as the OP is Swedish and admit his English wasn't that good .lol
Sorry Martin, it's the only thing I could think of that would be an obvious oversight, I missed that detail in your reply.

Stay safe buddy. 

73's Gary.
Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/2E0GGQ
joistein
joistein

Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Gothenburg, Sweden
Equipment Used : CRT SS 9900 Yeasu ft 817 etc

PostSubject: Re: Kl 203p HIGH swr   Kl 203p HIGH swr - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 25, 2020 2:22 pm

Victor wrote:
The question's already been asked but the commonest SWR problems I've seen is placement of the SWR meter.

21ASN93, are you connected like this? :-

RIG <-----> KL203 Linear <-----> SWR Meter <-----> ANTENNA

Some will argue about this but I've never seen the point of measuring the 'linear' SWR(?) only the power input to it.

Also remember "Crap In = Crap Out"

If you have a rig kicking out spurious harmonics, (54-56Mhz is not unusual), the linear is so wide-banded it will amplify the harmonics as well!! The typical CB SWR meter is also wide-banded, (3-200Mhz in some cases), and can't differentiate the harmonic crap coming back. Obviously your antenna is tuned to ~27Mhz and all that amplified harmonic content will come crashing back down showing you a high SWR.

How do you fix it?

A typical TVI filter will cut down the amount of harmonic crap your rig is kicking out before you start amplifying it. (Should've been done in the radio but low pricing/cheap manufacturing ie Chinese means it usually isn't!)

So :-

RIG <-----> TVI Filter <-----> LINEAR <-----> SWR Meter <-----> ANTENNA

That usually fixes common 'linear' SWR problems right off the bat.

Some manufacturers tell you to cut a certain length of coax for the rig to linear connection, it's usually a vain attempt at impedance matching and hopefully reducing your harmonic content along the way. The 'TVI Filter' will usually fix your impedance as well as reduce harmonics and provide a much needed fix for poorly designed MOSFET to MOSFET connectivity.

(We didn't get these issues with the old transistor & valve stuff did we fellow 'old gits' Very Happy)

Often operators ignore all the above as the rig & linears don't 'blow up' and merrily transmit harmonics all over the place.........

Anyway, hope that helps the OP, anyone else reading this or even if anyone bothers to search the forum in future Wink

All the best,
Victor
I have always had Rig>>Amp>>ATU/SWR >>Low pas filter>>ANT. RM Italy recommend you to use Low pas filter. santa rendeer  
Back to top Go down
chazwozza
Senior contributor
Senior contributor

Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : England
Equipment Used : Radios

PostSubject: Re: Kl 203p HIGH swr   Kl 203p HIGH swr - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 02, 2021 9:14 pm

Put money on it being the 2nd patch lead
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kl 203p HIGH swr   Kl 203p HIGH swr - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Kl 203p HIGH swr
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2