Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» crt ss 9900
Antenna Brackets Icon_minitimeToday at 4:35 pm by stealth 57

» Διακριτικό κλήσεις ct (Issued)
Antenna Brackets Icon_minitimeToday at 2:38 pm by Vasilis

» CT call sign (Issued)
Antenna Brackets Icon_minitimeToday at 1:25 am by Mike90

» Alinco DX-10 DAT file
Antenna Brackets Icon_minitimeYesterday at 9:30 pm by Alberto Rugarli

Antenna Brackets Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:43 pm by stealth 57

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
Antenna Brackets Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:13 pm by VanRougeT4

» Probably only ever buy 1/2 waves for 10m and 11m
Antenna Brackets Icon_minitimeYesterday at 1:39 pm by FreqFreak

» Anytone 6667
Antenna Brackets Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:24 am by Julian brian

» Help needed
Antenna Brackets Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:02 am by Mighty mutts

Keywords
president antenna frequency sign Mckinley 2023 software yaesu ALINCO Baofeng anytone list power supply callsign Sirio chart 9900 ss9900 6900 call display 2022 Mobile lincoln meter
QRZ Database

Antenna Brackets

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Gmonkey
Gmonkey

Call Sign : 26-CT-3890
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Luton, Bedfordshire
Equipment Used : CB - Twig: Sirio 2016 5/8. Rigs: ICOM 7300, Grant II Premium, Amstrad 901, CRT2000H, Murphy CH1500, Moonraker II, Harrier CBX, Harvard 420, Binatone Breaker Phone, Fidelity 3000. Scanners : Twig Wideband Generic. Rigs: AOR 8600 MK2, Realistic Pro 2005, Various scanning Dongles

Antenna Brackets Empty
PostSubject: Antenna Brackets   Antenna Brackets Icon_minitimeTue Dec 29, 2020 10:56 pm

Hi All,

Had a nightmare day trying to get a Sirio Gain Master 5/8 into position - due to bracket problems.

The problems this:

Gable end fitting is not an option nor do we have a chimney.

I have a flat area above the connected garage on the house, that gives access to a wall below the roof over hang which is where I had previously mounted a very small antennal on a swan neck (s-shaped ) pole with poor results for RX and TX.

The brackets I have are much shorter than the roof overhang and the gutter, (my guess is between 28 and 32 inches of roof and gutter overhang combined to over come).

The swan neck I have is far too weak to take the antenna bigger antenna, my question is this:

Is there a company that sells a two inch or better swan neck pole that I can use in conjunction with the existing wall brackets that can take a 5/8th wave Gain master?

or

Does anyone know of a company that can sell me a heavy duty antenna mounting U or K bracket that is between 30 - 32 inches from the wall to the V clamps and a set of heavy duty clamps for that bracket? 

Presently my antenna is laying flat on the roof of the garage and I have no radio coms at all - any help or suggestions would be very gratefully received.

Thanks.
Rich.
Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

Antenna Brackets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Antenna Brackets   Antenna Brackets Icon_minitimeWed Dec 30, 2020 7:26 am

I think the largest i have seen is 24".
Do you have any ware that does steel fabrication local that might make you a set.
Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

Antenna Brackets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Antenna Brackets   Antenna Brackets Icon_minitimeWed Dec 30, 2020 7:49 am

Hi Rich,

That's a big overhang to get around! Shocked

The problem is the amount of leverage a mounting bracket, (or swan neck), is going to have to endure. A bucket of water is easy to lift and only becomes a problem if you hold it at arm's length! Wink

Antenna setups I have seen with that much roof overhang to get around usually have an antenna pole that actually sits on the ground, (holding it's own weight), with the brackets just ensuring the pole stands up at the required distance away from the property. Those type of brackets usually hold the pole at the lower ground floor and higher first floor and therefore take less strain.

The arrangement you seem to be suggesting, (even with a swan neck), will have to be far more substantial probably weighing more than the antenna and pole combined and will require much more secure fittings. (No flimsy 'rawl' plugs and screws here!)

Is there no where else your antenna can be erected to make your life easier?
(We've had members here run longer coax and mount antenna poles onto washing line stands successfully. Gets your antenna away from QRM produced by households as a bonus too Wink)

If there is nowhere else then the best I can suggest is to spread the load as much as possible. Use a much longer antenna pole and mount brackets to the top, middle and bottom of the pole. Yes, it means three brackets but they'll be much less substantial than a single unit holding the whole shebang.

Seems overkill for a 5/8ths I know, but it's being held out much further than usual and will have to contend with high winds also.

That's the best I can think of in an attempt to help out, other members here may have better ideas.

Best of luck with it.
Victor

glenn dog likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

Antenna Brackets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Antenna Brackets   Antenna Brackets Icon_minitimeWed Dec 30, 2020 8:42 am

Found this advert looks like he makes them.
Might be worth asking him if you don't come up with any other solution he might make you some that will do the job.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CANTENNA-Heavy-duty-wall-mounted-K-brackets-HD-KB600-Ham-radio/284131999671?hash=item4227963fb7:g:HTgAAOSwdHNekuRD
Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Antenna Brackets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Antenna Brackets   Antenna Brackets Icon_minitimeWed Dec 30, 2020 8:47 am

Just found this advert but as Victor say's it's a big ask standing that far out.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SatPlus-36-Inch-Galvanised-Satellite-Dish-Aerial-T-K-Wall-Brackets-2-x-V-Bolts-/192762242437?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10
Back to top Go down
Gmonkey
Gmonkey

Call Sign : 26-CT-3890
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Luton, Bedfordshire
Equipment Used : CB - Twig: Sirio 2016 5/8. Rigs: ICOM 7300, Grant II Premium, Amstrad 901, CRT2000H, Murphy CH1500, Moonraker II, Harrier CBX, Harvard 420, Binatone Breaker Phone, Fidelity 3000. Scanners : Twig Wideband Generic. Rigs: AOR 8600 MK2, Realistic Pro 2005, Various scanning Dongles

Antenna Brackets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Antenna Brackets   Antenna Brackets Icon_minitimeWed Dec 30, 2020 12:33 pm

Hi All,

Thanks for the info. much appreciated.

I found the chap Alan mentions and have ordered the very heavy duty reinforced brackets he does, they look up to the job.

in respect to fixing I'm going to look at heavy duty also, hopeful this will be enough with the base of the pole planted in a large parasol base on the flat roof.

Thanks again everyone - it's great to be able to reach out and get support from members who have many years of real practical experience.

Regards,
Rich.

glenn dog likes this post

Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Antenna Brackets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Antenna Brackets   Antenna Brackets Icon_minitimeWed Dec 30, 2020 12:49 pm

Some big Rawl-bolts m12 x 75 or 90mm anything meaty and thick strong washers.
Job done in theory.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Antenna Brackets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Antenna Brackets   Antenna Brackets Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Antenna Brackets
Page 1 of 1