Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Your Amateur station is unique....but just how good is it?
Housing associations and antennas Icon_minitimeToday at 11:27 am by VanRougeT4

» Giving PMR 446 Another Whirl
Housing associations and antennas Icon_minitimeToday at 11:19 am by John123

» 6900v7 Mic Problem...
Housing associations and antennas Icon_minitimeToday at 10:33 am by Relay-1

» Galaxy Saturn modification ( -5khz )
Housing associations and antennas Icon_minitimeToday at 10:29 am by Zolee

» New shack in operation.
Housing associations and antennas Icon_minitimeToday at 6:45 am by SangueG

» Static/noise
Housing associations and antennas Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:10 pm by John123

» President Himalaya wb half wave
Housing associations and antennas Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:45 pm by John79

» South Coast PMR net report
Housing associations and antennas Icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:48 pm by Razz229

» 11m conditions
Housing associations and antennas Icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2024 10:50 pm by John123

Keywords
software Sirio call 2022 antenna anytone sign Baofeng callsign 6900 2023 frequency chart Mckinley president 9900 meter display lincoln 2024 yaesu ALINCO list power Mobile ss9900
QRZ Database

Housing associations and antennas

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
26uk81
Senior contributor
Senior contributor

Call Sign : 26UK81
Times Thanked : 2
QTH or Location : Oxford
Equipment Used : ss 6900N, AT5555N, President McKinley

Housing associations and antennas Empty
PostSubject: Housing associations and antennas   Housing associations and antennas Icon_minitimeThu Jan 14, 2021 11:18 pm

Hi all.  I am looking to see what experiences people have had with their housing associations regarding antennas.   I used to live with my Grandmother who sadly died in the Summer.  I moved out shortly before she went into a home.   Until recently, prior to the house being sold, I was able to go over at the weekends and use my radio.     Since then I have been reliant on going up on the hills, which now is no longer a possibility due to the current lockdown.   

I am now in a ground floor housing association flat with no garden to speak of, just a small lawn outside my front door which isn't strictly "mine".   In a bid to keep myself sane I bought a mobile mast, an Antron 99 and a tripod stand to get myself on air.    I used it with great success, setting it up on the bit of grass out front at night and taking it down when I've finished.    Alas, shortly after setting it up this evening, suddenly the signal on T5 dropped out and noise level went to zero.   I'm not sure if I believe in premonitions, but last night I dreamt that the mast had come down and and antenna was broken.   With a heavy heart, I went to the window already sure what had happened.   Alas, a light Northerly breeze had sent the mast crashing to the ground.   It narrowly missed my upstairs neighbour's car.   Luckily, he is a very relaxed sort of bloke and didn't go mad.    The only damage was to the antenna, as per my dream!   The top section has split;   a great opportunity to replace it with the fire up kit.   Needless to say, I won't be putting the tripod and mast up again.

My tenancy agreement has a section about "attachments" and "modifications" to the building, stating that they will not "unreasonably" refuse permission.   I am thinking now that I really need to get this antenna installed to the building.   Bloke upstairs doesn't have any issue with aerials, he used to use CB himself.  I am interested to hear of any positive results people have had with their housing association.   My instinct is that they will initially say no, but I have mental health issues, which radio helps with and I could lay this on a bit.    A lot of people tell me just to stick it up there and hope for the best .   But to be honest, I would rather be told now "no, absolutely not" than enjoy my radio at home for a few weeks then suddenly be told I've got to take it down.  Worst case, I will dig up the little bit of grass and concrete in a tube to drop my mast into, but having a permanently mounted antenna would be so much better.  Any anecdotes or advice please?
Back to top Go down
G0RQQ
Contributor
Contributor

Call Sign : 26CT866
Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : Lincoln
Equipment Used : CRT2000 on CB, FT-920 on amateur bands; end-fed wire 20m long

PostSubject: Re: Housing associations and antennas   Housing associations and antennas Icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2021 9:50 pm

There is a saying: “Tis easier to seek forgiveness than seek permission....”  I’ll leave you to decide how you wish to proceed!😁

43CT016, TJS 26CT3029 and MINESWEEPER like this post

Back to top Go down
26uk81
Senior contributor
Senior contributor

PostSubject: Re: Housing associations and antennas   Housing associations and antennas Icon_minitimeWed Jan 27, 2021 2:13 pm

It's a new build and my tenancy agreement has a specific covenant on making changes to the building.   So I decided to do things legitimately and ask permission.   I was resigned to having to apply for planning permission, however, I didn't realise the housing association would want to dip into my pockets too!   Housing officer says it's a £40 fee just for her to check my tenancy agreement.  Then it would have to to their technical team, fee £200.   After paying out £240, they could still say no.   Then it's fees for planning permission application.   I would be looking at a punt on £500 which could all go down the drain.   I simply cannot afford it.    Sadly, an antenna on the building is a non starter at least for now.   Maybe I might just do it next year, when the covenant conditions expire.   For the time being, I have a drive on mast stand coming, so at least I will be able to get on air from home.   I just need to make sure I don't rush out in the car to go to the shops when my aerial is up!   I think a large "DO NOT DRIVE" note on the steering wheel may be required.   I'm also looking at a wire antenna along the guttering for working skip.

MINESWEEPER likes this post

Back to top Go down
stephen Gunrunner
Major contributor
Major contributor
stephen Gunrunner

Call Sign : 26CT526/MR021/M6XXX.
Times Thanked : 10
QTH or Location : wooler north northumberland or some were near it
Equipment Used : mobile 4000hp base A99 radio base magnum257hp mobile magnum 257 standed power

PostSubject: Re: Housing associations and antennas   Housing associations and antennas Icon_minitimeWed Jan 27, 2021 3:08 pm

when we got our very nice bungalow we were told no brackets no holes in the walls but put it in the garden so i have two antenna up 446mhz and 11mhz and there happy at that
Back to top Go down
Red Fox
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Red Fox

Call Sign : 108-CT-255
Times Thanked : 17
QTH or Location : Fife Scotland
Equipment Used : Squawk Boxes & Wires - Both Annoy the other half :)

PostSubject: Re: Housing associations and antennas   Housing associations and antennas Icon_minitimeWed Jan 27, 2021 3:14 pm

Hi, Sorry No name in profile.

I feel for your predicament,  it’s not easy when you have such issues with housing and planning to contend with.

It’s a little difficult to try and suggest alternatives not knowing how your lay of the land is.
Can I suggest if it is possible, to upload a couple of photos of your building, garden area, nearby trees etc.?

Hopefully someone will have an alternative option for you that have worked for them in the past.

Graeme
Back to top Go down
G0RQQ
Contributor
Contributor

Call Sign : 26CT866
Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : Lincoln
Equipment Used : CRT2000 on CB, FT-920 on amateur bands; end-fed wire 20m long

PostSubject: Re: Housing associations and antennas   Housing associations and antennas Icon_minitimeWed Jan 27, 2021 4:01 pm

Just a thought - do you have a washing line in the garden, or can you put one up? You could use that as an antenna if it’s got a wire core, or wrap a wire around it spirally. I do that where I live to get around the “Thou shalt not attach an antenna to the building” bit. It might not be the ultimate Dx antenna, but at least you can get a signal out!

Pagan likes this post

Back to top Go down
26uk81
Senior contributor
Senior contributor

PostSubject: Re: Housing associations and antennas   Housing associations and antennas Icon_minitimeWed Jan 27, 2021 7:29 pm

Sadly no garden, just a bit of grass out the front door (which I treat as a garden).    I thought about a washing line pole style tube to go in the ground, but there are a few manhole covers about and I'm not sure where all the utilities run.    Drive on mast stand arrived today and is working fine.   Only takes two mins to put up and take down;  which I've done about twenty times today trying to tune the Antron with the "fire up" kit (another thread).   Mad

Chris
Back to top Go down
26uk81
Senior contributor
Senior contributor

PostSubject: Re: Housing associations and antennas   Housing associations and antennas Icon_minitimeWed Jan 27, 2021 7:39 pm

stephen Gunrunner wrote:
when we got our very nice bungalow we were told no brackets no holes in the walls but put it in the garden so i have two antenna up 446mhz and 11mhz and  there happy at that

I'm pretty sure I wasn't supposed to drill a hole through the wall for the coax.  it runs out and just under the window ledge to a PL259 with a female to female on the end so that I can quickly hook up the coax to my Antron without opening windows.    Hopefully they won't notice, but if they want make a fuss then I will make a bigger fuss about them charging tenants extortionate fees just to consider an antenna going up.

MINESWEEPER likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Housing associations and antennas   Housing associations and antennas Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Housing associations and antennas
Page 1 of 1