Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
HF Propagation tools Icon_minitimeToday at 11:22 am by John H

» A suggestion that 5 degree is a myth
HF Propagation tools Icon_minitimeToday at 9:24 am by FreqFreak

» Hello everyone
HF Propagation tools Icon_minitimeToday at 7:42 am by Mudfish301

» 1:9 UNUN, why?
HF Propagation tools Icon_minitimeToday at 5:51 am by Victor

» call sign request
HF Propagation tools Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:49 pm by John123

» Callsign request please
HF Propagation tools Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:44 pm by John123

» Introduction and Call sign request
HF Propagation tools Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:40 pm by John123

» Call sign please
HF Propagation tools Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:37 pm by John123

» 2metre contacts
HF Propagation tools Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:21 pm by SangueG

Keywords
antenna 9900 lincoln president call sign list Sirio chart Mobile 2024 meter Mckinley 2023 software display 2022 6900 ALINCO frequency callsign Baofeng power yaesu anytone ss9900
QRZ Database

HF Propagation tools

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

HF Propagation tools Empty
PostSubject: HF Propagation tools   HF Propagation tools Icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2021 10:07 am

Hi All,

After passing my Foundation Amateur Radio exam last year, (amongst others, congratulations to all), I've been learning rather more than I first thought I would.

I've experienced the joys of different bands and frequencies available to me as well as different modes of transmission. All good fun.

Now, there are some things that carry over from my old CB experiences as well as my SWL or shortwave listening days. For instance I know about the effect of 'greyline', the terminator between day and night, (dawn and dusk), on radio waves at certain frequencies as well as the difference between night and day. Most of us will also know the effects of seasons enjoying the summer 'skip' on our CB's and we can all agree how much we're looking forward to the next rise in the solar cycle. Those sunspots can perform wonders on our radio DX abilities!

I don't profess to know everything as of yet and I know that 'schooling' isn't up everyone's street preferring to get on with DX transmission rather than studying. It also takes a fair bit of reading to fully understand all those weird numbers on typical propagation prediction tools!

There are however times when all of that comes together nicely.

With my experiments with FT8 digital modes I've often left my receiver on decoding stations across the globe and can often see in real time the effects of propagation across the day. (See, FT8 does have it's other uses Wink) Along with the PSKReporter website you get the fascination of seeing stations light up and disappear on a map, some of that to do with propagation effects rather than just when the stations are on.

The nearest tool I have come across that aligns with what I've observed is available on the following website :-

https://www.predtest.uk/

Gwyn Williams, G4FKH has certainly provided a useful tool here. You can select the frequency of interest, (a 10m report will be akin to an 11m one), and see the current radio propagation. But, you can also scroll through the time and see how the propagation should pan out during the day!

If you want to be impressed you can also click the 'Animate' check box under the map and it will scroll through the day automatically. Select different bands and you'll see how the lower bands follow the effect of 'greyline' and the upper bands show the difference between night and day quite clearly.

You don't have to fully understand the numbers to use this tool, the visual representation makes things much easier. Much like a weather report you won't get predictions weeks or months ahead but you will see the daily differences as we progress towards the summer.

I know for some this may be old hat, but for me it was a fairly new thing and has better improved my understanding. I know there will be exceptions when you manage a DX and the map says you shouldn't be able to but it's pretty close.

If anything it can inform you of when the best time of day is to make a CQ call. That will at least save you some effort if anything.

For me it's been fun, always wanting to learn new things and hopefully it may help on one two of you as well. Smile

All the best,
Victor

Oh, link to the PSKReporter site mentioned is as follows :-

https://pskreporter.info/pskmap.html

John123, Telstar, Captain Fantastic, aleksandar, Chefsdead, SangueG and Tatsat like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: HF Propagation tools   HF Propagation tools Icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2021 1:33 pm

Nice one Victor very interesting.
Thanks

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: HF Propagation tools   HF Propagation tools Icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2021 7:15 pm

Cheers Alan mate.

Been a while since I had one of my 'waffles' and it was good to share this one. Nice to see a few people found it interesting and/or of help.

All the best.
Back to top Go down
Bean
Major contributor
Major contributor

Times Thanked : 6

PostSubject: Re: HF Propagation tools   HF Propagation tools Icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2021 11:14 pm

VOACAP online is the one most use , theres even an 11metre version or was .

Paddy likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: HF Propagation tools   HF Propagation tools Icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2021 6:50 am

Hi Kevin,

I hadn't heard of VOACAP so had a search and found the site. Definitely a lot more in depth involvement required to utilise their tools.

Not one for the beginner, but thanks for the info.

All the best,
Victor
Back to top Go down
karelgol
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
karelgol

Call Sign : 19-CT-024 / PD0GOL
Times Thanked : 6
QTH or Location : Steenwijk, JO32bs
Equipment Used : Dynascan AT5555,Yaesu FT-897, CB silver rod as mutiband HF antenna, OSJ-pole for 2m/70cm, MFJ-925

PostSubject: Re: HF Propagation tools   HF Propagation tools Icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2021 5:23 pm

Thanks Victor

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: HF Propagation tools   HF Propagation tools Icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2021 6:02 pm

Much appreciated Karel. Thank you too Smile
Back to top Go down
John123
CT Directors
CT Directors
John123

Call Sign : 26CT763
Times Thanked : 151
QTH or Location : Manchester
Equipment Used : Optima, Superstar 360fm, Stalker 9fdx, President Jack

PostSubject: Re: HF Propagation tools   HF Propagation tools Icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2021 8:21 pm

Good post, Victor.👍 Always something new to learn in this hobby.
Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: HF Propagation tools   HF Propagation tools Icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2021 10:55 pm

There is John and always better shared.

Much appreciated mate.

John123 likes this post

Back to top Go down
John123
CT Directors
CT Directors
John123

Call Sign : 26CT763
Times Thanked : 151
QTH or Location : Manchester
Equipment Used : Optima, Superstar 360fm, Stalker 9fdx, President Jack

PostSubject: Re: HF Propagation tools   HF Propagation tools Icon_minitimeSat Feb 06, 2021 12:33 am

You are welcome, Victor.👍👍👍
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: HF Propagation tools   HF Propagation tools Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

HF Propagation tools
Page 1 of 1