Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» First dx in 40 plus years
Yellow Frog Service Icon_minitimeToday at 3:36 pm by Victor

» 10m dxcc ......
Yellow Frog Service Icon_minitimeToday at 1:58 pm by SangueG

» Antenna Advice.....?
Yellow Frog Service Icon_minitimeToday at 1:49 pm by SangueG

» Multimode mobile antenna
Yellow Frog Service Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:36 am by peewee norfolk

» New member call sign request (Issued)
Yellow Frog Service Icon_minitimeYesterday at 5:03 am by Victor

» New call sign request (Issued)
Yellow Frog Service Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2024 10:19 pm by John123

» Call Sign Request (Issued)
Yellow Frog Service Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2024 6:37 pm by Jimnic333

» had a change around
Yellow Frog Service Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2024 6:22 am by SangueG

» Back Again (Returning Member)
Yellow Frog Service Icon_minitimeMon Mar 25, 2024 8:34 pm by John123

Keywords
anytone president Mobile callsign sign power yaesu Mckinley 2022 ss9900 antenna Sirio 6900 supply meter Baofeng list ALINCO lincoln software 9900 display 2023 frequency call chart
QRZ Database

Yellow Frog Service

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
vinceben71

Call Sign : 163CT188
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Gwent. South Wales
Equipment Used : Thunderpole T800 with mini Thunderpole antenna

Yellow Frog Service Empty
PostSubject: Yellow Frog Service   Yellow Frog Service Icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2021 7:31 pm

Can someone explain what this is please, what I have read on the Moonraker site is that for a fee you get a private channel and access to all the community channels. Are these communities channels similar to the Network Radio channels, do you need a licence and are they busy.
Thanks

Vince 163CT188
Back to top Go down
John123
CT Directors
CT Directors
John123

Call Sign : 26CT763
Times Thanked : 145
QTH or Location : Manchester
Equipment Used : Optima, Superstar 360fm, Stalker 9fdx, President Jack

PostSubject: Re: Yellow Frog Service   Yellow Frog Service Icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2021 7:47 pm

Hello Vince,

I have to be honest, I have never heard of it before. It sounds interesting though. Hopefully one of our members will have some info on it.👍

73s John.
Back to top Go down
vinceben71

PostSubject: Re: Yellow Frog Service   Yellow Frog Service Icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2021 10:36 pm

This is what I found from Moonraker. It seems as it's via mobile phone so may be similar to Zello app and Network Radio channels ,but I am hoping someone on here may have used it and wondered how busy the community channels are.
I have copied this directly from a website so I hope that is ok

"Yellow Frog is a nationwide PTT service from Moonraker powered by Push To Talk International and is aimed at the community, hobbyist and club based radio market, Yellow Frog offers users both community based shared channels, accessible right across the Yellow Frog community, as well as private dedicated channels and a rich selection of features that can enhance your radio experience and service capabilities for your own activities.

This radio is a cellular walkie talkie that uses the cellular network as a repeater!

Supplied with the Yellow Frog Sim and Community channels plus one private channel (Purchase price includes 12 Month contract)
We supply the radio ready to use from day one and you just need to register for your private channel"

John123 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Yellow Frog Service   Yellow Frog Service Icon_minitimeSat Feb 06, 2021 7:23 am

Hello Vince,

It is as you suggest a Cellular Network Radio system akin to the likes of Zello, Echolink, etc.

I found a review that may provide a bit more information :-

https://www.radioenthusiast.co.uk/news/an-introduction-to-network-radios-with-the-inrico-t-320-and-the-inrico/

I know that I get more than enough flack for utilising modes & operation such as FT8, this despite the fact that I am actually transmitting through my own HF set, antennas, etc. and reliant on propagation conditions much the same way as other RF modes. I don't think that has so much to do with 'digital' but more about the limited 'chatting' or conversational operation although it's also an aspect I enjoy. Wink
I personally like the fact that it still operates on the old principles of radio transmission & reception.

Network Radio on cellular systems does give you the option to verbally converse and it doesn't matter if you are licenced or not on certain options. You also don't have to erect some dirty big antenna onto your property. Wink
Some will argue for 'channels' or rooms that only welcome licenced 'Hams', etc. others will argue the free and open option. Some will ask 'Is it really radio?' giving rise to all sorts of arguments.

If it can allow people to connect with a common interest then I'm all for it.

It does however smack of commercial enterprise to me with purchasing requirements pushed to the forefront. I really don't like the idea of subscription services, most of us are used to such services but I tend to avoid them and I can switch on my radio for free. Smile
(Someone's bound to bring up the arguments of original equipment purchasing, electricity etc. so not being 'free'........ Rolling Eyes )

All I know is that more often than not even a simple 'mobile' telephone call with friends and family can result in disconnections, dropouts and unavailability problems. So I don't relish those sort of problems with such systems.

It's an interesting subject, so thanks Vince for bringing it up. 
Hopefully there are others reading this who may be able to bring their own experiences of such devices and communication methods from a personal use perspective.

All the best,
Victor

John123, vinceben71 and Alan Pilot like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
John123
CT Directors
CT Directors
John123

Call Sign : 26CT763
Times Thanked : 145
QTH or Location : Manchester
Equipment Used : Optima, Superstar 360fm, Stalker 9fdx, President Jack

PostSubject: Re: Yellow Frog Service   Yellow Frog Service Icon_minitimeSat Feb 06, 2021 12:35 pm

Thanks for the info, Victor.👍

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
vinceben71

PostSubject: Re: Yellow Frog Service   Yellow Frog Service Icon_minitimeSat Feb 06, 2021 4:05 pm

Thanks Victor for the info.

I have been using Zello for about 2 year's using the Inrico T320 and the Blackview BV6800pro as I like the physical PTT buttons and spend a lot of time in the Network Radio group of channels ( my callsign is NR2702}. I understand that many people don't think of it as real radio, but it has made me want to get my Foundation Licence and I have now bought some books and will try later this year.

I am curious to this Yellow Frog I see advertised on Moonraker. I can't seem to find much info about it on the net and was hoping someone on here may have used it. I was wondering if the community channels are like the Network Radio channels and is it busy and any other info on Yellow Frog.

Thanks for your info. Very interesting read and much appreciated.

Thanks
Vince

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Yellow Frog Service   Yellow Frog Service Icon_minitimeSat Feb 06, 2021 4:34 pm

No worries Vince.

Good to hear you have gained some experience in Zello and even that it's given you the urge to go further into the radio world. As I said, I'm all for anything that connects like minded people together.

I didn't find anything further specifically apart from the link I provided but hope you manage to garner more information.

All the best,
Victor
Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Yellow Frog Service   Yellow Frog Service Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Yellow Frog Service
Page 1 of 1