Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Giving PMR 446 Another Whirl
Is it my dummy load, my SWR or am I just a dummy :) Icon_minitimeToday at 12:19 am by John123

» Galaxy Saturn modification ( -5khz )
Is it my dummy load, my SWR or am I just a dummy :) Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:54 pm by John123

» Static/noise
Is it my dummy load, my SWR or am I just a dummy :) Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:10 pm by John123

» President Himalaya wb half wave
Is it my dummy load, my SWR or am I just a dummy :) Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:45 pm by John79

» South Coast PMR net report
Is it my dummy load, my SWR or am I just a dummy :) Icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:48 pm by Razz229

» New shack in operation.
Is it my dummy load, my SWR or am I just a dummy :) Icon_minitimeYesterday at 12:46 pm by VanRougeT4

» 11m conditions
Is it my dummy load, my SWR or am I just a dummy :) Icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2024 10:50 pm by John123

» Your Amateur station is unique....but just how good is it?
Is it my dummy load, my SWR or am I just a dummy :) Icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2024 8:15 pm by Victor

» Gainmaster 5/8
Is it my dummy load, my SWR or am I just a dummy :) Icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2024 5:06 pm by madmax

Keywords
2024 power ss9900 call 6900 callsign frequency 2022 9900 chart Sirio antenna yaesu ALINCO president Mobile sign software anytone lincoln list Mckinley display meter Baofeng 2023
QRZ Database

Is it my dummy load, my SWR or am I just a dummy :)

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Hamlet

Call Sign : 26-CT-3975
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Reading
Equipment Used : Growing

Is it my dummy load, my SWR or am I just a dummy :) Empty
PostSubject: Is it my dummy load, my SWR or am I just a dummy :)   Is it my dummy load, my SWR or am I just a dummy :) Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2021 7:51 am

Hi All

First post (other than my intro) - thought I would put in general chat as this must be a basic mistake or misunderstanding on my behalf. Setting up some gear for the first time in decades.

CRT SS 9900 (CB channels et al)
Sirio Gain Master 5/8 (now installed)
RG 213 coax
SM-30 HAM power supply
DL 50 dummy load
OPEK SWR-3

Thought I would go straight for a test so wired it all up with the SWR in place - using one of two patch cables I have (continuity checked).  The 5/8 coax connected correctly to the SWR.  Selected channel 20 (checked was clear).  OPEK in SWR mode. Switched to FWD, set dial full left.  OK here we go. Keyed mic, TX showing on radio etc. Then start to move set dial to the right. Nothing. No movement at all. 

Switched SM-30 over to current mode. During TX, drawing current (a few amps) which I expected. Hmmmm

So I switch the OPEK to power mode. Key the mic and bingo! The dial moves to the right 'expected place'. Very briefly altered the power and the numbers I was getting were as expected.  So I am thinking either the SWR part of the OPEK is not working, or the Gain Master / coax has a problem. Back in SWR mode I flipped the switch to REF and keyed mic - nothing (so nothing either forward or reflected).

So unplugged Gain Master coax and put in the second patch lead (also checked continuity). Plugged into DL-50 dummy load. Repeated the above. THE EXACT SAME ISSUE. Nothing on the SWR (during setting or reflected) - is that not a bit strange for a dummy load?!  When the OPEK was switched to power mode the usual and expected power values were seen on the OPEK. 

OK - I cannot rule out a problem with the gain master / coax (yet).  I have not tested the coax on its own (silly me). If I check continuity over the middle and outside of the coax PL-259 I do get continuity (which for the Gain Master is to be expected  - so I read at least earlier - something about DC grounded). So the only way to check the cable is to bring the antenna down and take the cable off (NO!!!!!!).

However, the test failed with the dummy load as well - so there is no proof (yet) that the antenna or wiring is a problem. As I said earlier - have power on the OPEK and in all the right places. Have current draw on keying.  So I think the radio is OK.

So ...  what do you think? Is this a (part) faulty OPEK SWR-3 ?   I even read that some SWR units have been wired the wrong way around (!) - so I did try and set in "REF" and measure in "FWD".  As expected - nothing. 

Sorry for such a long post for what I suspect is a quick answer (dump the OPEK) - but I wanted to lay out the detail so I have not missed anything.

cheers

Mark
Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
Hamlet

PostSubject: Re: Is it my dummy load, my SWR or am I just a dummy :)   Is it my dummy load, my SWR or am I just a dummy :) Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2021 9:57 am

Yo Nubster

Soz, was just trying to give full picture  Smile  Anyway,  done exactly what you said - as I said above, on SET mode there is no movement at all when keying the mic, whatever position I turn the knob (and whatever power is used). The only reason I mentioned dummy load was to see if I could get the SWR to do "anything" by taking my coax / antenna out of the mix.   Mark.
Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: Is it my dummy load, my SWR or am I just a dummy :)   Is it my dummy load, my SWR or am I just a dummy :) Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2021 10:01 am

Might be a daft question but you do have it set on AM or FM when trying ???.
Back to top Go down
Hamlet

PostSubject: Re: Is it my dummy load, my SWR or am I just a dummy :)   Is it my dummy load, my SWR or am I just a dummy :) Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2021 10:40 am

NUBSTER wrote:
Alan Pilot wrote:
Might be a daft question but you do have it set on AM or FM when trying ???.
Ah yes good point Alan forgot to ask him that 
Mark if your trying to do it on SSB you cant check SWR on SSB  mate

Thanks Both...  Tried everything (ha!) - but seriously, on FM  Smile   Nubster, seen the edit, thanks. 

One thing - I have found the SWR settings on the radio (instructions are not great, YouTube was my friend). Not sure how accurate it is, but says 1.0 - if I can believe it then fine, but it is the same at C1 and C40 which is a little sus. But even if it is a rough and ready measure, at least I am not going to blow anything up...   Very very quite on the UK 40 so it seems (I am in Berkshire). 

Thanks for your help! 

Mark
Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: Is it my dummy load, my SWR or am I just a dummy :)   Is it my dummy load, my SWR or am I just a dummy :) Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2021 10:56 am

Very very quite everywhere at the moment Mark.
Some in the bigger towns might have more activity but nothing like it was.
Off back in the house too cold out in the shack even with the heater on lol.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is it my dummy load, my SWR or am I just a dummy :)   Is it my dummy load, my SWR or am I just a dummy :) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Is it my dummy load, my SWR or am I just a dummy :)
Page 1 of 1