Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Request for CT Callsign
Warning! ZETAGI DUMMY LOAD FAULT Icon_minitimeToday at 11:39 am by Jim101

» what was your first radio and antenna
Warning! ZETAGI DUMMY LOAD FAULT Icon_minitimeToday at 11:13 am by stealth 57

» Anytone 6667
Warning! ZETAGI DUMMY LOAD FAULT Icon_minitimeToday at 10:10 am by Razz229

» CB Radio Featured in Film and Tv
Warning! ZETAGI DUMMY LOAD FAULT Icon_minitimeToday at 9:41 am by Razz229

» crt ss 9900
Warning! ZETAGI DUMMY LOAD FAULT Icon_minitimeToday at 8:52 am by stealth 57

» South Coast PMR net report
Warning! ZETAGI DUMMY LOAD FAULT Icon_minitimeToday at 8:14 am by Razz229

» Help needed
Warning! ZETAGI DUMMY LOAD FAULT Icon_minitimeToday at 5:13 am by Numenius

Warning! ZETAGI DUMMY LOAD FAULT Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:23 pm by Mr T

» Διακριτικό κλήσεις ct (Issued)
Warning! ZETAGI DUMMY LOAD FAULT Icon_minitimeYesterday at 2:38 pm by Vasilis

Keywords
list callsign 2022 frequency ss9900 chart Baofeng software supply Mckinley yaesu display 2023 lincoln president anytone Sirio antenna power meter call 6900 9900 sign ALINCO Mobile
QRZ Database

Warning! ZETAGI DUMMY LOAD FAULT

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Mick Lake

Call Sign : 26-CT-4652 M7EAO
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Dagenham
Equipment Used : CRT SS6900V with Silver Rod

Warning! ZETAGI DUMMY LOAD FAULT Empty
PostSubject: Warning! ZETAGI DUMMY LOAD FAULT   Warning! ZETAGI DUMMY LOAD FAULT Icon_minitimeTue Sep 27, 2022 1:15 pm

Hi All,  

I have just bought a Zetagi dummy load. I tried it on my SS6900 and it set off the high SWR alarm. When I tested it I found it was open circuit. This was caused by the screw holding the circuit board to the case not earthing due to the paint. I cleaned off the paint around the screw head and fitted a star washer. Problem solved. If you have a radio without the SWR alarm you would not know there was a problem and could blow the finals. 

73s, Mick

GaryWilson, rabbi, Les-1 and MarkeeMaark like this post

Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: Warning! ZETAGI DUMMY LOAD FAULT   Warning! ZETAGI DUMMY LOAD FAULT Icon_minitimeTue Sep 27, 2022 3:20 pm

Zetagi is not all it is made out to be.
30 Years ago it was thought to be the dogs dangly bits but it's not.

rabbi, Mick Lake and MM0IMC like this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Warning! ZETAGI DUMMY LOAD FAULT   Warning! ZETAGI DUMMY LOAD FAULT Icon_minitimeTue Sep 27, 2022 5:49 pm

I've moved this posting to the 'Information and Guides' section of the forum.
(I'm supposed to do a bit of 'housekeeping' as an admin now and then. Wink )

Don't tell me, would that be the DL-50 by any chance?

The old version had four 200 ohm resistors in them with two chassis screws whereas the new has nine 470 ohm but a single screw.

I've never owned one but I would love to stick one on a NanoVNA out of curiosity to see what the overall frequency response actually was. I built my own dummy load from an RF termination resistor mainly for the fact that I'm a cheap git but also so I know exactly how it behaves.

I think pretty much every transceiver nowadays has a type of fold-back or SWR protection circuitry within them usually to protect from over voltage conditions. Never seen a blown final from high SWR but seen a fair few after someone 'twiddled' the PA biasing or output stage filters in an attempt to gain 'more Watts Igor'. Wink

Tell a lie, I did once see one where not only were the output transistors blown but pretty much most of the semiconductors in it.....I can only presume a static build up charge during a hilltop DX whilst thunderclouds built up around them. That or they hooked the thing up to a well dodgy power supply!
Needless to say it was BER (Beyond Economical Repair) but at least it hadn't 'Failed Under Continuous Testing'. (Used to love that acronym!)

Might simply have been a manufacturing defect Mick. I once had a guy supposed to mask off all the chassis screw mounts on some equipment housings before they went off to the spray booths...he didn't. He did however learn a valuable lesson by retrieving them all and scraping the paint off them(!)

All the best,
Victor

rabbi and Mick Lake like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Mick Lake

Call Sign : 26-CT-4652 M7EAO
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Dagenham
Equipment Used : CRT SS6900V with Silver Rod

PostSubject: Re: Warning! ZETAGI DUMMY LOAD FAULT   Warning! ZETAGI DUMMY LOAD FAULT Icon_minitimeTue Sep 27, 2022 6:47 pm

Hi Victor,
Thanks for that. I wasn't sure were to post it. I did think of the information and guides. 

Yes it is a DL-50 with nine 470 ohm resistors. It meters out to about 52 ohm. It was a simple fault to find and correct. I could have made one. I have made a dummy load to replace the speaker in radios for when I am setting the IF and tuning. It's switchable from 8 to 4 ohms using two 25 watt 8 ohm wire wound resistors. That's so I don't have to here the 1K modulation tone. 

Hope to get my callsign tonight if Gary can do it.

All the best, Mick

rabbi and Victor like this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Warning! ZETAGI DUMMY LOAD FAULT   Warning! ZETAGI DUMMY LOAD FAULT Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Warning! ZETAGI DUMMY LOAD FAULT
Page 1 of 1