Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Antenna Required.
Homebase Antenna approx 3 metres long? Icon_minitimeToday at 5:20 pm by Victor

» First dx in 40 plus years
Homebase Antenna approx 3 metres long? Icon_minitimeToday at 3:36 pm by Victor

» 10m dxcc ......
Homebase Antenna approx 3 metres long? Icon_minitimeToday at 1:58 pm by SangueG

» Antenna Advice.....?
Homebase Antenna approx 3 metres long? Icon_minitimeToday at 1:49 pm by SangueG

» Multimode mobile antenna
Homebase Antenna approx 3 metres long? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:36 am by peewee norfolk

» New member call sign request (Issued)
Homebase Antenna approx 3 metres long? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 5:03 am by Victor

» New call sign request (Issued)
Homebase Antenna approx 3 metres long? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2024 10:19 pm by John123

» Call Sign Request (Issued)
Homebase Antenna approx 3 metres long? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2024 6:37 pm by Jimnic333

» had a change around
Homebase Antenna approx 3 metres long? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2024 6:22 am by SangueG

Keywords
software Baofeng sign Mckinley Sirio ss9900 9900 display call 6900 ALINCO 2022 antenna callsign lincoln Mobile list frequency 2023 meter chart power anytone supply yaesu president
QRZ Database

Homebase Antenna approx 3 metres long?

Go down 
+2
Seasick
kelsm
6 posters
AuthorMessage
kelsm

Call Sign : 163-CT-278
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Wrexham North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT101d, 991A, 891A, Crt9900

Homebase Antenna approx 3 metres long? Empty
PostSubject: Homebase Antenna approx 3 metres long?   Homebase Antenna approx 3 metres long? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 21, 2021 2:44 pm

Following an earlier post about using my mobile antenna for homebase use,
Does anyone know of a reasonably decent homebase antenna that is about 3 metres ish long, I can get away with that height but will struggle with anything above 4 metres
Any help is most welcome TIA
Back to top Go down
Seasick
Contributor
Contributor
Seasick

Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : Norfolk
Equipment Used : Uniden BCT 15X

PostSubject: Re: Homebase Antenna approx 3 metres long?   Homebase Antenna approx 3 metres long? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 21, 2021 3:20 pm

A tank whip, is around that length. It is 1/4 wave. Or around 9 feet. There is also a 7 foot firestick, I was looking at them on Knights Elctrocom site. 

https://www.kcb.co.uk/contents/en-uk/d32.html
Back to top Go down
Northern Crusader
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : M0GVZ / 26CT1760
Times Thanked : 35
QTH or Location : IO94SA
Equipment Used : Icom 7300, TS480, President McKinley, Albrecht AE6110, CRT Mike

PostSubject: Re: Homebase Antenna approx 3 metres long?   Homebase Antenna approx 3 metres long? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 22, 2021 8:04 pm

Second the above, 1/4 wave ground plane antenna is the way to go and there won't be much difference between that and a 1/2 or 5/8 wave in real world performance.
Back to top Go down
kelsm

Call Sign : 163-CT-278
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Wrexham North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT101d, 991A, 891A, Crt9900

PostSubject: Re: Homebase Antenna approx 3 metres long?   Homebase Antenna approx 3 metres long? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 22, 2021 8:08 pm

Northern Crusader wrote:
Second the above, 1/4 wave ground plane antenna is the way to go and there won't be much difference between that and a 1/2 or 5/8 wave in real world performance.

I can go with the 1/4 wave whip but how would I mount it ?
Back to top Go down
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

Call Sign : 26-CT-3971 / 2E0LMI
Times Thanked : 68
QTH or Location : Cirencester, Gloucestershire
Equipment Used : Little radios, home-made antennas

PostSubject: Re: Homebase Antenna approx 3 metres long?   Homebase Antenna approx 3 metres long? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 22, 2021 8:38 pm

If you take a look around the site that Seasick posted a link to, Knights have a 'build your own' section under the Base Antennas (HAM) tab that has some useful parts to mount whips and wires. You might find something that wold suit you on there, or at least maybe give you ideas how you could make a mount yourself.

kelsm likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://station-master.online/2E0LMI
morris
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
morris

Call Sign : 26-CT-11111
Times Thanked : 5
QTH or Location : Kent

PostSubject: Re: Homebase Antenna approx 3 metres long?   Homebase Antenna approx 3 metres long? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 23, 2021 7:21 am

I use this, 

https://www.moonraker.eu/antennas/cb-radio-antennas/sirio-gpa-27-45-1-4w-ground-plane-antenna

ready to go with the three ground planes. cheers
Back to top Go down
Seasick
Contributor
Contributor
Seasick

PostSubject: Re: Homebase Antenna approx 3 metres long?   Homebase Antenna approx 3 metres long? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 23, 2021 10:13 am

morris wrote:
I use this, 

https://www.moonraker.eu/antennas/cb-radio-antennas/sirio-gpa-27-45-1-4w-ground-plane-antenna

That must be a quarter wave centre fed, as it is 6 feet tall. And Kelsom can only get away with a quarter wave, so why reduce that radiating element to a quarter wave to a eighth of a wave? Electrically small antenna, are much  less efficient than larger antenna, although that stops being such an issue at quarter wave. Where radiation angles start to equal things out. Also a single quarter wave radiator on a roof, is much less visually intrusive than that tripod. 

Kelsom. Use the full height that you can get away with & use a base fed vertical, a mobile whip. Mount it on a decent mag mount, as a 8 to 9 foot whip will take a battering from the wind.  And what I would do is get a pack of decent sized ring crimps & some bell or speaker wire. Strip the wire to single core connect the crimps around the edge of the magnet, & then lay at least 4  radials out from the magmount on the roof.  Looking online, a quarter wave at 27.5 mhz should be 8 feet 6 inches long. 

If the roof is metal it will give a good earth, but the fact you are using a magmount will make the connection less than perfect. So the cut radials will hopefully help reduce the radiation angle, back to the low angle that a ground plane quarter wave should have.  And it is the radiation angle of a quarter wave, that will give you an antenna, that performs almost on a par with a half or 5/8th wave.

Just to add. For the cost of some cheap bell or speaker wire & some cheap crimps. It is certainly worth trying to optimise your antenna. The radials may achieve nothing. But the fact they can be cut to 27.5 mhz, means they could give you an optimised antenna on 27.555 & near by. So for pennies is worth the cost & effort.
Back to top Go down
The DB
10 + Year member
10 +  Year  member

Times Thanked : 5

PostSubject: Re: Homebase Antenna approx 3 metres long?   Homebase Antenna approx 3 metres long? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 23, 2021 2:29 pm

Seasick wrote:
morris wrote:
I use this, 

That must be a quarter wave centre fed, as it is 6 feet tall.

According to the documentation, the elements on this antenna can be adjusted from a little over 5 feet to between 8 and 9 feet long.  This puts its maximum length at or near 1/4 wavelength on the CB band.

The DB
Back to top Go down
Seasick
Contributor
Contributor
Seasick

PostSubject: Re: Homebase Antenna approx 3 metres long?   Homebase Antenna approx 3 metres long? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 23, 2021 4:41 pm

The DB wrote:
Seasick wrote:
morris wrote:
I use this, 

That must be a quarter wave centre fed, as it is 6 feet tall.

According to the documentation, the elements on this antenna can be adjusted from a little over 5 feet to between 8 and 9 feet long.  This puts its maximum length at or near 1/4 wavelength on the CB band.

The DB

Yes, sorry, I have just had a another look and it's 15 feet tall. I must have looked at one of the other pages, as several different variations of this  antennas are covered. And at 15 feet tall, it is way above what kelsm can get away with.

The DB likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Homebase Antenna approx 3 metres long?   Homebase Antenna approx 3 metres long? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Homebase Antenna approx 3 metres long?
Page 1 of 1