Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Antenna Advice.....?
New Rig and Homebase Antenna suggestions Icon_minitimeToday at 5:12 am by Victor

» First dx in 40 plus years
New Rig and Homebase Antenna suggestions Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:36 pm by John123

» 10m dxcc ......
New Rig and Homebase Antenna suggestions Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:40 am by peewee norfolk

» Multimode mobile antenna
New Rig and Homebase Antenna suggestions Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:36 am by peewee norfolk

» New member call sign request (Issued)
New Rig and Homebase Antenna suggestions Icon_minitimeYesterday at 5:03 am by Victor

» New call sign request (Issued)
New Rig and Homebase Antenna suggestions Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2024 10:19 pm by John123

» Call Sign Request (Issued)
New Rig and Homebase Antenna suggestions Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2024 6:37 pm by Jimnic333

» had a change around
New Rig and Homebase Antenna suggestions Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2024 6:22 am by SangueG

» Back Again (Returning Member)
New Rig and Homebase Antenna suggestions Icon_minitimeMon Mar 25, 2024 8:34 pm by John123

Keywords
frequency display call president 9900 supply Sirio 2022 antenna sign anytone meter Mobile ALINCO 2023 lincoln Baofeng ss9900 6900 callsign chart list software yaesu Mckinley power
QRZ Database

New Rig and Homebase Antenna suggestions

Go down 
+3
Pagan
Cozzmik
Red Fox
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Red Fox
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Red Fox

Call Sign : 108-CT-255
Times Thanked : 17
QTH or Location : Fife Scotland
Equipment Used : Squawk Boxes & Wires - Both Annoy the other half :)

New Rig and Homebase Antenna suggestions Empty
PostSubject: New Rig and Homebase Antenna suggestions   New Rig and Homebase Antenna suggestions Icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2020 9:43 pm

Hi all,

I have just joined the group and would appreciate a little advice.

Like many of you at the moment, I find myself with a little extra time on my hands and thought it would be a great idea to look at getting back into CB, never been into HAM but if time allows would happily look into the possibility.

It looks as though things have changed a little from the hay days of the 80's when I was heavily involved and I will need to pick up some new kit.

To that end, I would appreciate advice on a new rig and appropriate home based antenna.

looking at some of the posts already on the forums, the CRT SS6900 seems to be referred to a lot but would appreciate advice from people who have a more up to date knowledge than my poor old grey matter is trying to recall.

Look forward to any suggestions on options for a new Rig and Home based Antenna.

73's

Graeme.
Back to top Go down
Cozzmik
10 + Year member
10 +  Year  member
Cozzmik

Call Sign : 26-CT-465/OP-465/FB-012
Times Thanked : 8
QTH or Location : Kent
Equipment Used : Kenwood ts570dg/Yaesu ft450d/Rm-kl400/Sirio 4000

PostSubject: Re: New Rig and Homebase Antenna suggestions   New Rig and Homebase Antenna suggestions Icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2020 8:17 am

Hi Graeme,

The CRT SS6900 seems a good rig (i have a earlier model Mass dx5000) and i would presume by now any quality control would of been sorted.

Depending on how much room you have could dictate how large of an antenna you could use.

I have a Vector 4000 (mine is in my avatar) and at around 30ft long its not everyones taste,i also use a 3 ele yagi beam but i do have the room for both.

There are many decent 1/2 wave and 5/8 wave antennas out there incl the Gainmaster,Gpa/Gpe 1/2 and 5/8w and Solarcon a99.
Bigger the better is the usual rule with antennas..

Good Luck
Back to top Go down
Pagan
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Pagan

Call Sign : 26CT2069
Times Thanked : 22
QTH or Location : Pendle, Lancashire
Equipment Used : CRT-SS9900

PostSubject: Re: New Rig and Homebase Antenna suggestions   New Rig and Homebase Antenna suggestions Icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2020 11:41 am

Hi Graeme....if its within your budget I can highly recommend the CRT-SS9900 (which is what I use). It has more power "out of the box" than many CB / Export radios. See link below & click on "more" for the full specs.

https://www.kcb.co.uk/contents/en-uk/p1703_Superstar_9900.html
Back to top Go down
gravedigger911
gravedigger911

Call Sign : 26-CT-3161
Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : West Yorkshire
Equipment Used : Stryker SR955 HP . Uniden Uniace 300 . TS 6M. Pres Himalaya...2x Uniden Scanners . 2x AOR Recievers 2x AOR

PostSubject: Re: New Rig and Homebase Antenna suggestions   New Rig and Homebase Antenna suggestions Icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2020 3:42 pm

All Depends on your Budget is?

What Part if Fife RU.... I'm Originally Cardenden Kirkcaldy 👍
Back to top Go down
Red Fox
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Red Fox

PostSubject: Re: New Rig and Homebase Antenna suggestions   New Rig and Homebase Antenna suggestions Icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2020 7:55 pm

Many thanks for the suggestions guys, appreciate the advice and support.

Now have a few ideas and will spend some time looking online for what kit and suppliers are decent.

Needless to say, I'll probably get carried away and spend a small fortune without telling the other half Smile

Gravedigger911...... That sounds so familiar ??

I'm from little old Cowdenbeath, still haven't escaped Rolling Eyes

I was pretty mobile around 85-90, into Fox & Hounds etc - I think we may well have bumped into one another at sometime - lol
Back to top Go down
gravedigger911
gravedigger911

Call Sign : 26-CT-3161
Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : West Yorkshire
Equipment Used : Stryker SR955 HP . Uniden Uniace 300 . TS 6M. Pres Himalaya...2x Uniden Scanners . 2x AOR Recievers 2x AOR

PostSubject: Re: New Rig and Homebase Antenna suggestions   New Rig and Homebase Antenna suggestions Icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2020 8:29 pm

Any Gear or Radio Contact Dougie at Knights Electron you wont go far Wrong there

Unless you were 6 Mths old in the 60s , then yes a Possibility😁

Still Class Myself as Scottish and get up there when ever I Can , Mainly West Side
Back to top Go down
Red Fox
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Red Fox

PostSubject: Re: New Rig and Homebase Antenna suggestions   New Rig and Homebase Antenna suggestions Icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2020 9:30 pm

Lol,

Getting on a bit now, was around in the 60's but not on a rig lol

Thanks for the info.

73s Graeme.
Back to top Go down
Northern Crusader
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : M0GVZ / 26CT1760
Times Thanked : 35
QTH or Location : IO94SA
Equipment Used : Icom 7300, TS480, President McKinley, Albrecht AE6110, CRT Mike

PostSubject: Re: New Rig and Homebase Antenna suggestions   New Rig and Homebase Antenna suggestions Icon_minitimeSun Apr 26, 2020 11:47 am

gravedigger911 wrote:
Any Gear or Radio Contact Dougie at Knights Electron you wont go far Wrong there

But shop around because he's started to take the piss with some of his prices. He's selling the Imax 2000 for £150 whilst Nevada is selling it for £129 and he's selling the ground plane kit for the Imax 2000 for £47 whilst Sharman are selling them for £36.
Back to top Go down
Red Fox
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Red Fox

PostSubject: Re: New Rig and Homebase Antenna suggestions   New Rig and Homebase Antenna suggestions Icon_minitimeSun Apr 26, 2020 1:56 pm

Will do,

Thanks again for the advice.

Best 73's
Back to top Go down
Red Fox
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Red Fox

PostSubject: Re: New Rig and Homebase Antenna suggestions   New Rig and Homebase Antenna suggestions Icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2020 10:26 pm

Hi guys,

Well, after listening to your advice and looking at a few reviews, I like the look of the CRT SS 7900. Mainly due to it's functionality and it seems to be a little larger than the SS9900 suggested by Pagan and will be easier to use with my five fingered thumbs, big hands you'll have guessed Smile
The antenna looks like it's going to be a Sirio 2016, seems to have pretty good reviews and it will fit at the back of the house not too bad - Bigger the better as suggested by Cozzmik cheers

Before I drop the hammer and blow this months messages budget (I need to go on a diet anyway) I would appreciate any info/suggestions good or bad regarding the kit I'm looking at.

Cheers

Graeme.
Back to top Go down
Red Fox
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Red Fox

PostSubject: Re: New Rig and Homebase Antenna suggestions   New Rig and Homebase Antenna suggestions Icon_minitimeSat May 09, 2020 5:50 pm

Well Guys,

Going hungry for a while, messages budget blown, kit delivered and setup.

Thanks for all the suggestions, they definitely kept me on the right track.

I decided on the 7900 over the 6900 or the 9900 simply due to the size of the display and the spacing between the controls, such is life with big hands!

Sirio 2016 fitted and is going strong, approx sig 9 about 18 miles from my base on muppet ch's, still to find anyone on UK legal or SSB as yet.

All the best 73's

Graeme.

larde likes this post

Back to top Go down
GaryWilson
CT Directors
CT Directors
GaryWilson

Call Sign : 26-CT-1836 Ham 2E0GGQ
Times Thanked : 344
QTH or Location : Redcar, North Yorkshire.
Equipment Used : Radios & Wires & Stuff!

PostSubject: Re: New Rig and Homebase Antenna suggestions   New Rig and Homebase Antenna suggestions Icon_minitimeSat May 09, 2020 7:03 pm

Nice one Grahame. Very Happy

I'm not sure about today but apparently the band was open yesterday. When open again SSB should wake up for you then!!

73's Gary.
Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/2E0GGQ
stephen Gunrunner
Major contributor
Major contributor
stephen Gunrunner

Call Sign : 26CT526/MR021/M6XXX.
Times Thanked : 10
QTH or Location : wooler north northumberland or some were near it
Equipment Used : mobile 4000hp base A99 radio base magnum257hp mobile magnum 257 standed power

PostSubject: Re: New Rig and Homebase Antenna suggestions   New Rig and Homebase Antenna suggestions Icon_minitimeSun May 10, 2020 2:51 pm

I used to know a few lads from fife there was the golden eagle Jim the mad axe man Donald blue cherry and many more any ways welcome back to a great hobby, it will never be like it was , but I say its better now as most that stuck by the hobby are real breakers and there is nets most week nights and week ends and we have ctx extreme and these lads are up in the hills mountains most week ends and as the nights are getting better more will be out static mobile
Back to top Go down
Red Fox
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Red Fox

PostSubject: Re: New Rig and Homebase Antenna suggestions   New Rig and Homebase Antenna suggestions Icon_minitimeSun May 10, 2020 10:42 pm

Hi Stephen

Many thanks.

Those handles ring a few bells 🔔 it has been a while and the old grey matter is working overtime but not a huge amount coming back.

Good to be back on, enjoying earywigging lol.

Cheers

Graeme
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Rig and Homebase Antenna suggestions   New Rig and Homebase Antenna suggestions Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Rig and Homebase Antenna suggestions
Page 1 of 1