Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» anytone ss 9900
Tipper Lorry Setup Icon_minitimeToday at 4:35 pm by stealth 57

» Διακριτικό κλήσεις ct (Issued)
Tipper Lorry Setup Icon_minitimeToday at 2:38 pm by Vasilis

» CT call sign (Issued)
Tipper Lorry Setup Icon_minitimeToday at 1:25 am by Mike90

» Alinco DX-10 DAT file
Tipper Lorry Setup Icon_minitimeYesterday at 9:30 pm by Alberto Rugarli

Tipper Lorry Setup Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:43 pm by stealth 57

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
Tipper Lorry Setup Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:13 pm by VanRougeT4

» Probably only ever buy 1/2 waves for 10m and 11m
Tipper Lorry Setup Icon_minitimeYesterday at 1:39 pm by FreqFreak

» Anytone 6667
Tipper Lorry Setup Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:24 am by Julian brian

» Help needed
Tipper Lorry Setup Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:02 am by Mighty mutts

Keywords
ALINCO anytone supply 2022 lincoln 2023 power Baofeng sign call antenna Mckinley frequency Mobile Sirio list 9900 yaesu 6900 software chart callsign ss9900 meter display president
QRZ Database

Tipper Lorry Setup

Go down 
+3
John123
Razz229
Haggis
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Haggis
Haggis

Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Manningtree
Equipment Used : None

Tipper Lorry Setup Empty
PostSubject: Tipper Lorry Setup   Tipper Lorry Setup Icon_minitimeThu Apr 29, 2021 7:24 pm

Hi I asked a while for advice about a good setup for a car and was going for a Crt Xenon and a Siro Ml aerial. I've just started on the Tippers and wondered if that aerial is still OK or would someone suggest another? It doesn't really need much range to be fair.

Snafu likes this post

Back to top Go down
Razz229
Major contributor
Major contributor
Razz229

Call Sign : 26 CT 2290 & 26 CI 2290
Times Thanked : 28
QTH or Location : Kent
Equipment Used : On 11m a Anytone 6666, Solarcon A99 vertical antenna or a Sirio 4000. On PMR a TYT TH-9800, a 1/4 wave GPA, homemade mag mount & sometimes a 8 element beam.

Tipper Lorry Setup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tipper Lorry Setup   Tipper Lorry Setup Icon_minitimeThu Apr 29, 2021 10:45 pm

Hi Hamish

Most of the tipper lorries I see around Gatwick airport have a Springer or mini springer on the cab. I think they are used because it's cheap as chips to replace after hiting trees and getting bent out of shape. Very Happy

Hope this helps

Ray 26 CI/CT 2290

John123, Haggis and Snafu like this post

Back to top Go down
John123
CT Directors
CT Directors
John123

Call Sign : 26CT763
Times Thanked : 148
QTH or Location : Manchester
Equipment Used : Optima, Superstar 360fm, Stalker 9fdx, President Jack

Tipper Lorry Setup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tipper Lorry Setup   Tipper Lorry Setup Icon_minitimeThu Apr 29, 2021 11:45 pm

It is the same around here, Ray. There are loads of quarries and consequently loads of tippers and most are running springer antennas these days. They use the cb to talk to the shovel drivers, when they are being loaded with chatter.

There are better antennas, Haggis, but the springer is very robust and serves its purpose.👍

Razz229 and Haggis like this post

Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

Tipper Lorry Setup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tipper Lorry Setup   Tipper Lorry Setup Icon_minitimeFri Apr 30, 2021 6:56 am

I have a springer on my x5 on the roof bar and it has had some hammering in car park with Hight signs but still standing and not even bent at all.
Local Tesco has a 2 tear car park and it hits every joist when i go in there lol.

glenn dog and Haggis like this post

Back to top Go down
Haggis
Haggis

Tipper Lorry Setup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tipper Lorry Setup   Tipper Lorry Setup Icon_minitimeSat May 01, 2021 7:09 am

Thanks for your replies lads. I will have a look at springers I take it they are made by one company?
Back to top Go down
Razz229
Major contributor
Major contributor
Razz229

Call Sign : 26 CT 2290 & 26 CI 2290
Times Thanked : 28
QTH or Location : Kent
Equipment Used : On 11m a Anytone 6666, Solarcon A99 vertical antenna or a Sirio 4000. On PMR a TYT TH-9800, a 1/4 wave GPA, homemade mag mount & sometimes a 8 element beam.

Tipper Lorry Setup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tipper Lorry Setup   Tipper Lorry Setup Icon_minitimeSat May 01, 2021 12:56 pm

Haggis wrote:
Thanks for your replies lads. I will have a look at springers I take it they are made by one company?

I think all the CB shops do a version of the Springer/Stinger/Orbitor antenna. Check out Thunderpole, Moonraker, 4x4CB etc
Back to top Go down
Haggis
Haggis

Tipper Lorry Setup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tipper Lorry Setup   Tipper Lorry Setup Icon_minitimeSun May 30, 2021 6:44 pm

I still haven't brought anything yet. I was thinking about a Midland Mini with a Sirio ML145 but a guy I work with said the mini cb's don't have any range. Is that true as the surely have the same power output as the bigger sets?

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

Tipper Lorry Setup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tipper Lorry Setup   Tipper Lorry Setup Icon_minitimeSun May 30, 2021 8:01 pm

Hi Hamish,

If you check into the specs a lot of the mini CB's are no different from the bigger sets in receive sensitivity or indeed transmit power. Therefore they shouldn't be any different as you rightly surmise. 

Of course there are always personal opinions and the 'bigger the better' argument will always abound. Wink

All the best,
Victor
Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Haggis
Haggis

Tipper Lorry Setup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tipper Lorry Setup   Tipper Lorry Setup Icon_minitimeSun May 30, 2021 8:07 pm

Victor wrote:
Hi Hamish,

If you check into the specs a lot of the mini CB's are no different from the bigger sets in receive sensitivity or indeed transmit power. Therefore they shouldn't be any different as you rightly surmise. 

Of course there are always personal opinions and the 'bigger the better' argument will always abound. Wink

All the best,
Victor

Thanks being a newbie I wasn't sure

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Tipper Lorry Setup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tipper Lorry Setup   Tipper Lorry Setup Icon_minitimeSun May 30, 2021 8:24 pm

No worries Hamish. Tipper Lorry Setup 1f44d 

We were all 'newbies' once and even when we no longer consider ourselves as such there are always things to learn. Wink

Razz229 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Haggis
Haggis

Tipper Lorry Setup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tipper Lorry Setup   Tipper Lorry Setup Icon_minitimeSun May 30, 2021 8:30 pm

Would you say the Midland Mini is a good buy with a Sirio Ml145?
Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Tipper Lorry Setup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tipper Lorry Setup   Tipper Lorry Setup Icon_minitimeSun May 30, 2021 8:59 pm

Having had neither Hamish I unfortunately can't give you a personal recommendation. 

There are however plenty of reviews online although that can sometimes leave you more confused than anything.
In all reality there is very little to compare with one CB to another it mostly being a 'top trumps' game amongst specifications and features.

If you are considering the Sirio in a mag mount format you may have some issues as they are easily knocked off and you won't always have a suitable metal surface to stick it onto. The springers suggested previously are tough antennas but you'll need to look into mounting options.

By all accounts the Midland is a tough little radio so should be perfect for the bumps and knocks that mobile installations can receive.

Sometimes it can just be best to go with your gut so to speak when choosing a radio. You can research forever and get no where with it all. Wink

Best of luck.  Tipper Lorry Setup 1f44d
Back to top Go down
Haggis
Haggis

Tipper Lorry Setup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tipper Lorry Setup   Tipper Lorry Setup Icon_minitimeSat Jun 05, 2021 1:03 pm

Victor wrote:
Having had neither Hamish I unfortunately can't give you a personal recommendation. 

There are however plenty of reviews online although that can sometimes leave you more confused than anything.
In all reality there is very little to compare with one CB to another it mostly being a 'top trumps' game amongst specifications and features.

If you are considering the Sirio in a mag mount format you may have some issues as they are easily knocked off and you won't always have a suitable metal surface to stick it onto. The springers suggested previously are tough antennas but you'll need to look into mounting options.

By all accounts the Midland is a tough little radio so should be perfect for the bumps and knocks that mobile installations can receive.

Sometimes it can just be best to go with your gut so to speak when choosing a radio. You can research forever and get no where with it all. Wink

Best of luck.  Tipper Lorry Setup 1f44d

Can I ask what radio you have ? I have spoken with someone who sells radios and recommended a Crt 6900n but a mate at work says it's too powerful for road use (40w) so I'm getting more confused.  I like the look of the President Walker 2.
Back to top Go down

Tipper Lorry Setup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tipper Lorry Setup   Tipper Lorry Setup Icon_minitimeSat Jun 05, 2021 1:16 pm

Hello Haggis,I use a CRT 6900n and their a great little radio for the price and have an array of things to play about with on the menu.Your mate at work is right the set can run @ 40 Watt Fm,12 Watt Am and 21 Watt SSB.But this is fully adjustable and you can ru. It on Fm at 4 Watts if you please.If you do decide to get one just make sure it’s programmed for 11 metres CB bands if that’s what your going to use it on.Because they come as factory spec on 10 metres 28-29.7 MHz as standard unless you tell them what bands your going to use it on.They preprogrammed mine free of charge on 11 metres with everything ready to go.

CT - 4029
Back to top Go down
Haggis
Haggis

Tipper Lorry Setup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tipper Lorry Setup   Tipper Lorry Setup Icon_minitimeSat Jun 05, 2021 1:39 pm

Can I ask why would it be too much power?
Back to top Go down

Tipper Lorry Setup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tipper Lorry Setup   Tipper Lorry Setup Icon_minitimeSat Jun 05, 2021 1:51 pm

I’m not sure why he thought it’s too much power,Maybe your only going to talk locally where you might be able to get away with using 4 Watts of power.It’s mostly a distance thing meaning more power your get heard further and over the top of any interference and QRM.Especially with SSB your be surprised how far you can get just using 12 watts of power,I mean right across Europe and even further when the propagation and conditions are right.Unless he means it might take to much power to run the radio but it only needs 13.8 volts and I think up to 15.9 volts max but I’m not clued up with HGV.
Hope I managed to help.

CT - 4029
Back to top Go down
Becant

Call Sign : 26-CT-4129
QTH or Location : Hereford, West Midlands.
Equipment Used : CRT SS 6900 N

Tipper Lorry Setup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tipper Lorry Setup   Tipper Lorry Setup Icon_minitimeSat Jun 05, 2021 7:40 pm

Bigger the better I reckon lol I drive a tipper 8 wheeler for Tarmac I used to run a midland + springer setup which wasn’t to bad depending on the weather but I’ve just upgraded to a CRT 6900 with a Sirio Performer 5000
Back to top Go down

Tipper Lorry Setup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tipper Lorry Setup   Tipper Lorry Setup Icon_minitimeSat Jun 05, 2021 7:45 pm

Yeah the other half says that too,bigger is better I really hope she’s talking about my 5/8 wave Sirio..😂😂😂
That’s a cracking set up Becant most people would love that at home..lol

CT-4029
Back to top Go down
Haggis
Haggis

Tipper Lorry Setup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tipper Lorry Setup   Tipper Lorry Setup Icon_minitimeSat Jun 05, 2021 7:50 pm

Becant wrote:
Bigger the better I reckon lol I drive a tipper 8 wheeler for Tarmac I used to run a midland + springer setup which wasn’t to bad depending on the weather but I’ve just upgraded to a CRT 6900 with a Sirio Performer 5000

It says it need 13.8v do you just use a 24v- 12v inverter?
Back to top Go down
Becant

Tipper Lorry Setup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tipper Lorry Setup   Tipper Lorry Setup Icon_minitimeSat Jun 05, 2021 7:59 pm

Most lorries these days have 12 and 24 volt feeds
Back to top Go down
Becant

Tipper Lorry Setup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tipper Lorry Setup   Tipper Lorry Setup Icon_minitimeSat Jun 05, 2021 8:01 pm

What truck you driving ??
Back to top Go down
Haggis
Haggis

Tipper Lorry Setup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tipper Lorry Setup   Tipper Lorry Setup Icon_minitimeSat Jun 05, 2021 8:04 pm

I'm in Mercedes. I've just got a dropper delivered today. There's only 24v sockets
Back to top Go down
Northern Crusader
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : M0GVZ / 26CT1760
Times Thanked : 35
QTH or Location : IO94SA
Equipment Used : Icom 7300, TS480, President McKinley, Albrecht AE6110, CRT Mike

Tipper Lorry Setup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tipper Lorry Setup   Tipper Lorry Setup Icon_minitimeSat Jun 05, 2021 9:03 pm

Haggis wrote:
I'm in Mercedes.

My condolences.
Back to top Go down
Haggis
Haggis

Tipper Lorry Setup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tipper Lorry Setup   Tipper Lorry Setup Icon_minitimeSat Jun 05, 2021 9:11 pm

Northern Crusader wrote:
Haggis wrote:
I'm in Mercedes.

My condolences

Yeah but I'm the new boy so I get what I'm given. It is one of the fastest trucks on the fleet but it don't do corners
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Tipper Lorry Setup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tipper Lorry Setup   Tipper Lorry Setup Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tipper Lorry Setup
Page 1 of 1