Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» gre 225 radio scanner
Too radial or not too radial that is the question. Icon_minitimeToday at 10:10 pm by rabbi

» crt ss 9900
Too radial or not too radial that is the question. Icon_minitimeToday at 9:21 pm by John123

» Διακριτικό κλήσεις ct (Issued)
Too radial or not too radial that is the question. Icon_minitimeToday at 2:38 pm by Vasilis

» CT call sign (Issued)
Too radial or not too radial that is the question. Icon_minitimeToday at 1:25 am by Mike90

» Alinco DX-10 DAT file
Too radial or not too radial that is the question. Icon_minitimeYesterday at 9:30 pm by Alberto Rugarli

Too radial or not too radial that is the question. Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:43 pm by stealth 57

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
Too radial or not too radial that is the question. Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:13 pm by VanRougeT4

» Probably only ever buy 1/2 waves for 10m and 11m
Too radial or not too radial that is the question. Icon_minitimeYesterday at 1:39 pm by FreqFreak

» Anytone 6667
Too radial or not too radial that is the question. Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:24 am by Julian brian

Keywords
lincoln display 2023 sign 2022 9900 yaesu Mckinley president anytone ss9900 meter Sirio software 6900 call power supply Baofeng ALINCO callsign chart list frequency Mobile antenna
QRZ Database

Too radial or not too radial that is the question.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage

Too radial or not too radial that is the question. Empty
PostSubject: Too radial or not too radial that is the question.   Too radial or not too radial that is the question. Icon_minitimeWed Sep 08, 2021 4:57 pm

I’m getting a new base antenna (again)I know if it’s not broken don’t fix it and all that but you know what we’re all like.Anyway the question is can an antenna be SWR’ed with the radials left off.I’m planning on not repeating the tuning carry on like last time and was going to erect a makeshift mast 20 feet up from the ground tune the antenna,Fit the radials that are 2m in length and 4 of them.Then position the thing up in the air Job done.The reasoning behind it was do those radials effect the SWR settings.
Thanks Tom.
26 CT 4029
Back to top Go down
The DB
10 + Year member
10 +  Year  member

Times Thanked : 5

PostSubject: Re: Too radial or not too radial that is the question.   Too radial or not too radial that is the question. Icon_minitimeWed Sep 08, 2021 6:52 pm

The matching circuit on the antenna is designed with radials of a certain length being present.  The same antenna with out said radials will have a different "impedance" and by extension higher SWR.  If your lucky, you could try adjusting the matching circuit, but very few have the range of adjustment to account this type of change.  It would be far far easier to find an antenna that isn't designed to need radials rather than remove the radials from an antenna that comes with them.

This is also not getting into other potential issues not having said radials might cause.  There is far more to removing radials than just getting a higher SWR.

The DB

SangueG and Model Maker like this post

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Too radial or not too radial that is the question.   Too radial or not too radial that is the question. Icon_minitimeWed Sep 08, 2021 8:18 pm

Thanks DB,I did have the feeling it would be important to make any adjustments while they were installed.After last times carry on with the Antenna I’ll erect a makeshift mast 10-15 feet off the ground make the correct SWR adjustments then remove radials as they are 2m in length,get the antenna back up on the roof reassembled and then fixed to swaged poles and bolted to the house.Last time I did it alone and it wasn’t fun nor clever holding on to a T&K bracket with one hand and am antenna with the other.Fresh pants were needed after that mission was accomplished..🤣
Helpers will be used next time around.
Thanks again DB
Tom. 26 CT 4029
Back to top Go down
Northern Crusader
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : M0GVZ / 26CT1760
Times Thanked : 35
QTH or Location : IO94SA
Equipment Used : Icom 7300, TS480, President McKinley, Albrecht AE6110, CRT Mike

PostSubject: Re: Too radial or not too radial that is the question.   Too radial or not too radial that is the question. Icon_minitimeFri Sep 10, 2021 3:44 pm

As above you can tune it without the radials but it'll possibly have other consequences which may not become immediately obvious such as a change in the gain at different take off angles, especially lower ones.

Also If you tune the antenna on a 20ft mast on the ground then stick it up on the roof of your house if there's a significant change in height the tuning will change due to the change in ground losses. It's resonant point will probably rise a couple of hundred kHz so tune it slightly lower than you want it to be centred on.

Model Maker likes this post

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Too radial or not too radial that is the question.   Too radial or not too radial that is the question. Icon_minitimeFri Sep 10, 2021 5:29 pm

Northern Crusader,Now that’s even more valid points I didn’t take into consideration,That’s why we ask I suppose.The difference between temporary mast to tune on the ground and actually fixed position on the house is about 35-40 feet difference,So that idea is blown out the water..loi
I’ve now taken to the idea of getting half scaffolding erected just so tuning and fixing will be 10 times easier and a lot safer.
Health and safety would have crucified me.Thanks for the help and advice as it’s greatly appreciated and has pointed me in the right direction and no cutting corners.
Thanks again Tom.
26 CT 4029
Back to top Go down
Howard
Contributor
Contributor

Call Sign : 26-CT-4319
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Aylesbury
Equipment Used : Ic7300

PostSubject: Radials   Too radial or not too radial that is the question. Icon_minitimeSat Oct 08, 2022 11:59 pm

I've just acquired a sirio 2016 and put it up without the radials for the moment and if I'm honest the swr is 1:1 all round and it being a good 30 ft off the ground.
I was led to believe that the radials only effected incoming signals and not transmit ? Can someone correct on on this ? 
Cheers .
Back to top Go down
chazwozza
Senior contributor
Senior contributor

Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : England
Equipment Used : Radios

PostSubject: Re: Too radial or not too radial that is the question.   Too radial or not too radial that is the question. Icon_minitimeSun Oct 09, 2022 9:13 am

To some point yes they will effect both
Back to top Go down
Howard
Contributor
Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Too radial or not too radial that is the question.   Too radial or not too radial that is the question. Icon_minitimeSun Oct 09, 2022 9:33 am

Morning chazwozza
Yes was told and heard different things about this. It was just a question I wanted to put to the guys on here as the famous Dx commander quoted recently in one of his vids on the net saying radials on the vertical didn't make much of a difference on 11 meter apparently.
Question he needs to ask himself then why do the likes of sirio and other well known antenna makers put them on ? Including himself.
Anyway I will be putting mine on at some point. Anyway question why is it some verticals have them and some don't and if that's the case why don't all verticals have them on as my venom didn't have them .
Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
Howard
Contributor
Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Too radial or not too radial that is the question.   Too radial or not too radial that is the question. Icon_minitimeSun Oct 09, 2022 11:36 am

Thanks for that info i.ll take that onboard . My qth I get so much noise from not only in the immediate surroundings but also power lines in the area which is very annoying and its cost me a small fortune trying to get rid of the noise . The antenna itself works well even without the radials on but I will put them on to see what difference it makes .
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Too radial or not too radial that is the question.   Too radial or not too radial that is the question. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Too radial or not too radial that is the question.
Page 1 of 1