Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» crt ss 9900
Newbie needing advice Icon_minitimeToday at 4:35 pm by stealth 57

» Διακριτικό κλήσεις ct (Issued)
Newbie needing advice Icon_minitimeToday at 2:38 pm by Vasilis

» CT call sign (Issued)
Newbie needing advice Icon_minitimeToday at 1:25 am by Mike90

» Alinco DX-10 DAT file
Newbie needing advice Icon_minitimeYesterday at 9:30 pm by Alberto Rugarli

Newbie needing advice Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:43 pm by stealth 57

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
Newbie needing advice Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:13 pm by VanRougeT4

» Probably only ever buy 1/2 waves for 10m and 11m
Newbie needing advice Icon_minitimeYesterday at 1:39 pm by FreqFreak

» Anytone 6667
Newbie needing advice Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:24 am by Julian brian

» Help needed
Newbie needing advice Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:02 am by Mighty mutts

Keywords
lincoln 2022 president display yaesu frequency antenna Sirio Baofeng list Mobile meter 6900 Mckinley callsign supply power sign ss9900 ALINCO call 9900 chart software anytone 2023
QRZ Database

Newbie needing advice

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Andy2278
Andy2278

Call Sign : 26-CT-4246
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Quarry Bank, West Midlands
Equipment Used : CRT-Xenon

Newbie needing advice Empty
PostSubject: Newbie needing advice   Newbie needing advice Icon_minitimeFri Sep 10, 2021 8:48 am

Hi all. 

I’ve just come back to CB after about 25 years away so please be gentle lol. 

My question is, I’ve seen a nice 2nd hand 5/8 silver rod on Facebook for £20. I’d like to mount it to my shed. Is this acceptable or do I NEED to mount it on a pole. Is it just a case of bolt to the shed, SWR it and be good to go or is there more to it?

I currently have a Thunderpole Excalibur mounted on the wall of the house and would like better reception etc. I’m debating the silver rod as it will also let all the little scrotes in the area know there is CB kit in my shed (along with all my workshop tools), however I can up the security on the shed as it’s by my house back door. 

TIA

Andy

glenn dog likes this post

Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: Newbie needing advice   Newbie needing advice Icon_minitimeFri Sep 10, 2021 3:27 pm

Hi Andy and welcome to the forum.
There are many of us on here that have recently returned to radio after many years away 26 years away myself.
CB is not the same as it was not near as many people on it now none round where i am lol.
Silver rod's are not much more brand new but just thought i would say that.
It would be a lot better if you could get it up high but if your next door's are like mine then low is all i can do.
You will find a lot of help on here just ask and you will get some fantastic replies.
Many of us old timers have actually gone one step forward and taken our Ham licence but still use CB as that is where our heart is.

glenn dog, Hitman27 and Model Maker like this post

Back to top Go down
Northern Crusader
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : M0GVZ / 26CT1760
Times Thanked : 35
QTH or Location : IO94SA
Equipment Used : Icom 7300, TS480, President McKinley, Albrecht AE6110, CRT Mike

PostSubject: Re: Newbie needing advice   Newbie needing advice Icon_minitimeFri Sep 10, 2021 3:47 pm

You can mount it to the shed but for local contacts the higher it can go the better. For long distance DX the height doesn't matter. It'll benefit from a RF ground being provided if it's nailed to the shed and a few 9ft long bits of wire hooked up to the mounting bracket will do that job nicely. You can lay them out on the shed roof if you want.

Model Maker likes this post

Back to top Go down
nik555

Call Sign : 1-CT-024 is0jho
Times Thanked : 2
QTH or Location : Italy ,Sardinia
Equipment Used : yaesu757gxii, ss6900,midland48,and others

PostSubject: Re: Newbie needing advice   Newbie needing advice Icon_minitimeFri Oct 01, 2021 8:39 am

Hi Andy , i am not an expert but have made my own antennas for years now , if you give me some details i will give you some good notions on how to best place the antenna on the shed , do you have buildings or tall houses around ,is your QTH on low ground or high ground ,let me know,73s to all,nik.

glenn dog and Hitman27 like this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Newbie needing advice   Newbie needing advice Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Newbie needing advice
Page 1 of 1