Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» 11m conditions
Antenna analysers Icon_minitimeToday at 12:11 pm by glenn dog

» CRT space U/ space V
Antenna analysers Icon_minitimeToday at 11:27 am by 26CT1074

» CW sidesweeper, new project
Antenna analysers Icon_minitimeToday at 11:01 am by stephen Gunrunner

» EU conditions have started
Antenna analysers Icon_minitimeToday at 6:04 am by SangueG

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge League Table 2024
Antenna analysers Icon_minitimeToday at 5:35 am by SangueG

» CT callsign please (Issued)
Antenna analysers Icon_minitimeToday at 2:23 am by Pozerman1959

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
Antenna analysers Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:25 pm by Sydthecat

» Siro Boomerang 27A
Antenna analysers Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:28 am by FreqFreak

» Southern Area and South Coast SSB Net
Antenna analysers Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:10 am by Razz229

Keywords
sign Mckinley antenna Mobile 2023 display software president ss9900 yaesu supply 9900 Sirio lincoln meter ALINCO 2022 chart 6900 list frequency Baofeng power callsign call anytone
QRZ Database

Antenna analysers

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
markA66

Call Sign : 26-CT-1424
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Chester.
Equipment Used : ICOM 7610, YAESU 857D, ELECRAFT KX2

Antenna analysers Empty
PostSubject: Antenna analysers   Antenna analysers Icon_minitimeThu Sep 23, 2021 3:32 pm

Was thinking of buying a antenna analyser but there seems to be quite a lot to choose from. I was thinking about the MFJ’s as I used one at my local club but seen a few videos on YouTube of the rigexpert’s so was wondering if they might be the better option. Would want one that covers HF and VHF. So would be grateful for people who have tried both what probably are excellent products for their options. 
Thanks in advance, Mark.
Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

Antenna analysers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Antenna analysers   Antenna analysers Icon_minitimeThu Sep 23, 2021 5:19 pm

I have the Rigexpert Zoom and like it but it only does HF.
They cost and i think to do VHF as well is going to COST big money.

markA66 and Victor like this post

Back to top Go down
The DB
10 + Year member
10 +  Year  member

Times Thanked : 5

Antenna analysers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Antenna analysers   Antenna analysers Icon_minitimeThu Sep 23, 2021 7:41 pm

Rigexpert's start out cheep but the price goes up quickly as you add to the frequency range.  That being said, they are significantly more capable than anything the MFJ line has to offer, even the devices that are at the same price point.  They are also simpler to use.  Rigexperts are great for beginners, except their cheapest version, the AA-35 Zoom, which if anyone is considering I highly recommend just saving up for the next version up, the AA-55 Zoom.

If this is still to expensive for you, or you just want more capability, look up the Nano-VNA.  Its far cheaper than anything Rigexpert and MFJ, and for that matter anyone else, offers, and is actually more powerful than not only the a-fore mentioned brands, but also most anything else on the market short of engineering level equipment.  The catch is the learning curve.  There are several youtube videos that show its basic operation.  You can also get software and run it from a computer, which actually has more features than the device itself, and I personally think is easier.  If you think you will use the screen on the device more than just a little bit, I highly recommend getting the version that has a larger screen as the device itself lives up to the name "nano"...

I'm not the only person on this forum with a NanoVNA, and I know several people own Rigexpert devices as well (which I have used in the past but don't personally own), so don't be afraid to ask questions.

The DB

markA66, Victor and karelgol like this post

Back to top Go down
markA66

Antenna analysers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Antenna analysers   Antenna analysers Icon_minitimeFri Sep 24, 2021 12:13 am

Thanks for the info. I think I agree that if I was to go for a rigexpert, it wouldn’t be the AA-35 zoom as I don’t think it covers what I need so it would, have to be the AA-230 which is similar in price to the mfj-259d in coverage if am correct but the riigexpert does do more things. Think I have to do a bit more looking into them.
Cheers
Mark
Back to top Go down
43CT016
Major contributor
Major contributor
43CT016

Call Sign : 43-CT-016
Times Thanked : 22
QTH or Location : Perth
Equipment Used : iCom IC-7610/IC-9700/IC-705

Antenna analysers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Antenna analysers   Antenna analysers Icon_minitimeFri Sep 24, 2021 8:05 am

The DB wrote:
Rigexperts are great for beginners, except their cheapest version, the AA-35 Zoom, which if anyone is considering I highly recommend just saving up for the next version up, the AA-55 Zoom.

The DB

Out of interest, why do you say that?  Other than including the 6m band, what has the 55 got that the 35 hasn't?
Back to top Go down
markA66

Antenna analysers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Antenna analysers   Antenna analysers Icon_minitimeFri Sep 24, 2021 10:20 am

Looking at the comparisons I think apart from the wider coverage, the Bluetooth version also has a couple of things like memory slots and a slight improvement on the data you can collect. Not sure if is worth the extra money though.
Back to top Go down
The DB
10 + Year member
10 +  Year  member

Antenna analysers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Antenna analysers   Antenna analysers Icon_minitimeFri Sep 24, 2021 10:37 am

43CT016 wrote:
The DB wrote:
Rigexperts are great for beginners, except their cheapest version, the AA-35 Zoom, which if anyone is considering I highly recommend just saving up for the next version up, the AA-55 Zoom.

The DB

Out of interest, why do you say that?  Other than including the 6m band, what has the 55 got that the 35 hasn't?

The AA-55 Zoom and higher has the ability to calibrate out the feed line from its measurements and make it like it isn't there, so with said devices, you can get accurate antenna data regardless of the feed line lengths between the device and the antenna.

The DB
Back to top Go down
43CT016
Major contributor
Major contributor
43CT016

Antenna analysers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Antenna analysers   Antenna analysers Icon_minitimeFri Sep 24, 2021 10:49 am

The DB wrote:

The AA-55 Zoom and higher has the ability to calibrate out the feed line from its measurements and make it like it isn't there, so with said devices, you can get accurate antenna data regardless of the feed line lengths between the device and the antenna.

The DB

Can’t you just do the OSL calibration at the end of the feedline?  I was thinking of getting one, didn’t fancy paying for the 650 Zoom, and hence didn’t really need anything above 30MHz if I wasn’t going to pay to get 477MHz.
Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

Antenna analysers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Antenna analysers   Antenna analysers Icon_minitimeFri Sep 24, 2021 11:28 am

The AA-35 has not got the Smith Chart.

43CT016 likes this post

Back to top Go down
43CT016
Major contributor
Major contributor
43CT016

Antenna analysers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Antenna analysers   Antenna analysers Icon_minitimeFri Sep 24, 2021 11:58 am

Alan Pilot wrote:
The AA-35 has not got the Smith Chart.

Good catch…..completely useless to me then. Shocked

Can’t see the point of the 55, so it’s back to sulking about the cost of the 650.
Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Antenna analysers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Antenna analysers   Antenna analysers Icon_minitimeFri Sep 24, 2021 12:04 pm

The 35 does what i want plus easy to use well for my brain it is lol.
Back to top Go down
The DB
10 + Year member
10 +  Year  member

Antenna analysers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Antenna analysers   Antenna analysers Icon_minitimeFri Sep 24, 2021 12:28 pm

43CT016 wrote:
Can’t you just do the OSL calibration at the end of the feedline?  I was thinking of getting one, didn’t fancy paying for the 650 Zoom, and hence didn’t really need anything above 30MHz if I wasn’t going to pay to get 477MHz.

The last AA-35 Zoom I had my hands on did not support the OSL test (AKA calibration), nor was the feature in the manual. AA-55 Zoom does support this. If they have since added this feature to the AA-35 Zoom, then I both support this update and stand corrected.

The DB

43CT016 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Antenna analysers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Antenna analysers   Antenna analysers Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Antenna analysers
Page 1 of 1