Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Antenna Required.
Hi SWR  tone ? Icon_minitimeToday at 5:20 pm by Victor

» First dx in 40 plus years
Hi SWR  tone ? Icon_minitimeToday at 3:36 pm by Victor

» 10m dxcc ......
Hi SWR  tone ? Icon_minitimeToday at 1:58 pm by SangueG

» Antenna Advice.....?
Hi SWR  tone ? Icon_minitimeToday at 1:49 pm by SangueG

» Multimode mobile antenna
Hi SWR  tone ? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:36 am by peewee norfolk

» New member call sign request (Issued)
Hi SWR  tone ? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 5:03 am by Victor

» New call sign request (Issued)
Hi SWR  tone ? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2024 10:19 pm by John123

» Call Sign Request (Issued)
Hi SWR  tone ? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2024 6:37 pm by Jimnic333

» had a change around
Hi SWR  tone ? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2024 6:22 am by SangueG

Keywords
sign display Mckinley 2022 9900 list call frequency meter ss9900 Mobile Baofeng chart software 2023 president 6900 supply anytone ALINCO Sirio callsign power yaesu antenna lincoln
QRZ Database

Hi SWR tone ?

Go down 
+4
GaryWilson
Alan Pilot
Alan - Mirror Man
Rich13
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Rich13
Contributor
Contributor

Call Sign : 26-CT-4231
Times Thanked : 2
QTH or Location : Whitehaven
Equipment Used : CRT 6900+ venom silver rod

Hi SWR  tone ? Empty
PostSubject: Hi SWR tone ?   Hi SWR  tone ? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 27, 2021 7:16 pm

Radio is a S6900 with half wave vertical antenna (Venom) . switched the set on other day after not having it on for a few days and  the Hi SWR alarm sounded when keying the mic. Easy fix as it had been blowing a gale outside and one of the sections had slipped right down into the antenna due to a  jubilee clip obviously not secure enough . Tried it today , still windy and wet  keying up on USB  the alarm sounded again as soon as I speak,  checked the swr on FM/AM and it's fine on the same frequency, same power setting .... back on to USB and the alarm sounds as soon as you speak into the mic , took the aerial down and nothings moved because I marked above the joins with a bit of electrical and its fine on FM/AM .
No idea what that would be ?

Alan - Mirror Man likes this post

Back to top Go down
Alan - Mirror Man
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan - Mirror Man

Call Sign : 108CT233
Times Thanked : 14
QTH or Location : Central Scotland
Equipment Used : CRT SS9900 Beofeng UV5R Yaesu FTDX1200 CRT Micron CRT FP00 Sattelite 2000 antenna ZS6BKW X30 co-linear

Hi SWR  tone ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi SWR tone ?   Hi SWR  tone ? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 27, 2021 7:44 pm

That is strange for certain, I had something similar on an HF set though, it seemed to right itself again when I used a dummy load offering the set a perfect SWR as though some sort of SWR protection had kicked in and was then reset by using the dummy load.
May be worth a try, I thought the outputs were away as it was only pushing out a fraction of a Watt on low and just under one Watt on high power until transmitting into a dummy load righted it again to my great relief.
Back to top Go down
Rich13
Contributor
Contributor

Hi SWR  tone ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi SWR tone ?   Hi SWR  tone ? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 27, 2021 10:06 pm

Yes It's got me a bit baffled .The  thing that you said that has made me think is when you mentioned reset ? After I sorted the jubilee clip on antenna out and checked everything was OK which it was I transferred another set of.dat  files from the PC . Those files contain other settings as well as frequencies don't they ? I might look into that .
I never got the antenna back up again today as it was blowing and pouring down and is not due to stop until tomorrow night so I'll see what happens.

Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

Hi SWR  tone ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi SWR tone ?   Hi SWR  tone ? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 28, 2021 6:45 am

You say one section had slipped down.
Don't you tape the joints up ?.
Water can get in and end up in the coax.
Did you check the pl259 for water ingress signs.

Alan - Mirror Man and Rjbingham like this post

Back to top Go down
Rich13
Contributor
Contributor

Hi SWR  tone ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi SWR tone ?   Hi SWR  tone ? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 28, 2021 8:33 am

Yeah  worth mentioning  the joints were all taped except for just above  the one which had slipped I'd obviously removed it to make adjustments a few weeks back and missed that one though there was still some tape below the clip covering the split below the clip so I'd not noticed when it was back up. I'd thought about water getting in as obviously the sections are a little tapered and as it had slipped down there could have been a gap . Hence I've got the thing in the garage to let some air in while this incessant rain stops.
PL259 is all taped where it enters the so239 threads and all , and I tested it with a multi meter for short.   
The thing is everything was taped up and fine yesterday and the readings are what they always were on AM/FM it's just when  I speak into the mic on USB (never tried LSB ) that alarm goes off . I even tried lowering the mic gain but that's what it always was too.

Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

Hi SWR  tone ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi SWR tone ?   Hi SWR  tone ? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 28, 2021 8:48 am

Did it show a short when you tested it.

Back to top Go down
GaryWilson
CT Directors
CT Directors
GaryWilson

Call Sign : 26-CT-1836 Ham 2E0GGQ
Times Thanked : 344
QTH or Location : Redcar, North Yorkshire.
Equipment Used : Radios & Wires & Stuff!

Hi SWR  tone ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi SWR tone ?   Hi SWR  tone ? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 28, 2021 8:58 am

First and foremost I would test the antenna system with an external SWR meter to ensure that it's not the problem.
When you're satisfied the antenna is okay go into the SWR protection menu on the radio and increase the values or disable it all together. There's no logical reason why mode should make any difference. You could reset the radio to factory settings and then reinstall your current configuration with the programming cable.
It's safe to say if the antenna if fine on an external meter disabling the protection system will not cause you any problems.

73's Gary.

Victor, Alan - Mirror Man and aleksandar like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/2E0GGQ
Rich13
Contributor
Contributor

Hi SWR  tone ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi SWR tone ?   Hi SWR  tone ? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 28, 2021 1:11 pm

Alan Pilot wrote:
Did it show a short when you tested it.
No it was OK Alan.

Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Hi SWR  tone ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi SWR tone ?   Hi SWR  tone ? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 28, 2021 1:41 pm

O many show a short thought yours would have as well.

Back to top Go down
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

Call Sign : 26-CT-3971 / 2E0LMI
Times Thanked : 68
QTH or Location : Cirencester, Gloucestershire
Equipment Used : Little radios, home-made antennas

Hi SWR  tone ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi SWR tone ?   Hi SWR  tone ? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 28, 2021 1:49 pm

I've seen SWR readings do strange things when power is increased if there are things in close proximity to the antenna or if there is something not quite right with the antenna or connections. But if your 6900 is maxed out in export mode then your FM will be putting out more than it can put out on SSB (40W FM as apposed to about 35W peak on SSB), so doesn't look like increase in power related. I'd still check those connections are good though and no wet has got in them like already mentioned by Alan.

Back to top Go down
https://station-master.online/2E0LMI
Rich13
Contributor
Contributor

Hi SWR  tone ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi SWR tone ?   Hi SWR  tone ? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 28, 2021 6:08 pm

GaryWilson wrote:
First and foremost I would test the antenna system with an external SWR meter to ensure that it's not the problem.
When you're satisfied the antenna is okay go into the SWR protection menu on the radio and increase the values or disable it all together. There's no logical reason why mode should make any difference. You could reset the radio to factory settings and then reinstall your current configuration with the programming cable.
It's safe to say if the antenna if fine on an external meter disabling the protection system will not cause you any problems.

73's Gary.

That reset might be worth a try when I get the antenna back up , when the rain finally stops as it seems a strange sort of problem  . I do have a meter  in line which is reading fine AM/FM but the alarm was kicking in before I could see what was happening on there SSB . Never thought to disable the thing at the time .

Back to top Go down
Rich13
Contributor
Contributor

Hi SWR  tone ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi SWR tone ?   Hi SWR  tone ? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 28, 2021 6:18 pm

SangueG wrote:
I've seen SWR readings do strange things when power is increased if there are things in close proximity to the antenna or if there is something not quite right with the antenna or connections. But if your 6900 is maxed out in export mode then your FM will be putting out more than it can put out on SSB (40W FM as apposed to about 35W peak on SSB), so doesn't look like increase in power related. I'd still check those connections are good though and no wet has got in them like already mentioned by Alan.
Yes I fiddled with the power settings and it made no difference I have the antenna down and  in two halves on the stair case indoors so air can get inside just in case any moisture has got in and the pl259 outside has a plastic bag taped round to keep it dry it will probably be the only thing that is dry round struggled to get around today with floods !
Richard.

Back to top Go down
Rich13
Contributor
Contributor

Hi SWR  tone ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi SWR tone ?   Hi SWR  tone ? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 29, 2021 7:21 pm

It finally stopped raining at about 3pm after about 3 days solid so I got the sigma half wave antenna back up , (re taped all the joins this time )  and had a look at the problem with the radio alarm . I'd dismantled the aerial and had it indoors to make sure everything was dry but It was still alarming in SSB as before so before I did any major resets , I tried what was suggested above , I switched the alarm off in the menu and watched the needle on the inline meter instead when I spoke into the mic ,it was only moving the slight amount it was on am/fm . I re-enabled the alarm , and it now seems OK in SSB mode . I hadn't realised you could even disable that feature . Probably a glitch in the software then?

I made a few adjustments before I secured everything again as I'm trying to get the antenna tuned so it's decent on 10m  . I  shortened it a bit at a time , it's still about 1:1 - 1.1.3 up until about 28.5 MHz ( better than it was ) but after about 29.3 MHz or so it's getting  too high . Not sure how well these antennas can be adjusted  to the upper end of the 10m band . or which frequencies in the band are best monitored when the band is open ?

thanks to everyone for the suggestions about the original query .

Back to top Go down
NoMad
Contributor
Contributor
NoMad

Call Sign : 26-CT-4253
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Cambridge, Cambridgeshire
Equipment Used : CRT SS6900N, RTL-SDR Blog V3, Baofeng UV5R-3.

Hi SWR  tone ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi SWR tone ?   Hi SWR  tone ? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 05, 2021 2:25 pm

I slipped some heat shrink over my radial telescopics to stop water ingress. Seems good so far.
My 6900 inbuilt swr says its high, but as I use radial length on a dipole, and cable length, then there shouldn't be high swr.  Do I trust the internal meter, well not really.  Ignorance is bliss.

Back to top Go down
Rich13
Contributor
Contributor

Hi SWR  tone ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi SWR tone ?   Hi SWR  tone ? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 05, 2021 2:46 pm

NoMad wrote:
I slipped some heat shrink over my radial telescopics to stop water ingress. Seems good so far.
My 6900 inbuilt swr says its high, but as I use radial length on a dipole, and cable length, then there shouldn't be high swr.  Do I trust the internal meter, well not really.  Ignorance is bliss.
 I'm thinking along the same lines. the built in swr meter says it's fine ,and agrees with an external meter , but on SSB when I speak it occasionally alarms even with the meter saying it's OK . I thought I'd sused it when I copied the radio settings to the PC and noted that the alarm was set to trigger at swr 1.8 so I upped it to 3 and sent it back . Seemed OK for a while but it still occasionally does it . I decided to just rely on the built in meter or the external one now and switch the damn alarm off .

Back to top Go down

Hi SWR  tone ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi SWR tone ?   Hi SWR  tone ? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 05, 2021 3:06 pm

Talk about a high tone more like a ring clencher..lol
My 69000N does exactly the same thing sometimes.A high tone and It also lowers the output power.I have a K-po power meter/swr inline constantly because we all like too keep an eye on SWR’s and input/output powers.I have a SWR of 1.1 -1.2:1 right through the 11 metre bands and occasionally it still screams out every now and then..It don’t half make me jump at 2am..lol
Now I have a ATU in-line and the SWR is perfect and it still happens.I’ve just learnt to live with it as I know 100% is not a SWR but I still haven’t switched that tone protection off,Call me naive..At least I’m not alone with the blood pressure rising alert and the radio is still working fine.
Cheers Tom.
26 CT 4029
Back to top Go down
Rich13
Contributor
Contributor

Hi SWR  tone ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi SWR tone ?   Hi SWR  tone ? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 05, 2021 3:13 pm

Tom.
I think it's like the sensors and alarms that adorn modern cars which warn us of impending doom . Most of the time it's the sensor that's at fault NOT the part it's supposedly protecting.
Like burglar alarms they false alarm so often people ignore them like the boy crying wolf 😄

Back to top Go down

Hi SWR  tone ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi SWR tone ?   Hi SWR  tone ? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 05, 2021 3:25 pm

So true Rich13,I’ll leave the SWR protection on and just get ready to jump in anticipation.I don’t walk under ladders and all that so I’ll hedge me bets and live with that high pitch tone.
You know what happened to the boy who cried wolf..lol
And no magic blue smoke from my radio as the finals fry.
Cheers Tom.
26 CT 4029
Back to top Go down
Rich13
Contributor
Contributor

Hi SWR  tone ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi SWR tone ?   Hi SWR  tone ? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 05, 2021 4:02 pm

It does stop you dosing off it's one of those unwelcome annoying noises isn't it. 

I think it says in the manual  even if you disable the audible alarm the protection will still cut in at a critical point. It's as if the audible alarm trigger is more sensitive the actual protection set level ? When silenced the power is never cut off and two swr meters are showing less than 1.5 max on mine at all times . Mine only does it on SSB as if it's the varying amplitude of the carrier wave that upsets it?

Back to top Go down

Hi SWR  tone ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi SWR tone ?   Hi SWR  tone ? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 05, 2021 4:08 pm

Rich13,I just think the internal SWR meter is just a guide like most are.I get 1:1 on the external meter and 1:3:1 on the internal 6900n meter while comparing the two on a key.
Anyway sod it..lol
Have a great weekend and DXing.
Tom.26 CT 4029
Back to top Go down
stephen Gunrunner
Major contributor
Major contributor
stephen Gunrunner

Call Sign : 26CT526/MR021/M6XXX.
Times Thanked : 10
QTH or Location : wooler north northumberland or some were near it
Equipment Used : mobile 4000hp base A99 radio base magnum257hp mobile magnum 257 standed power

Hi SWR  tone ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi SWR tone ?   Hi SWR  tone ? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 06, 2021 1:17 pm

i might not be swr you get the same noise if not enough power check your psu as if not enough power getting to the radio as you need at least 20+amps

Back to top Go down

Hi SWR  tone ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi SWR tone ?   Hi SWR  tone ? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 06, 2021 1:37 pm

Hi Stephen Gunrunner,I should have also said along with the high tone you get HI S flash on the display,I’ve checked it and it’s definitely a high SWR warning and tone.Even though I’m 1:1 on SWR,As for the PSU I’m using a 50 amp so god knows why it happens occasionally and it also seems to happen to other people and not just me.
Thank for the advice.
Tom. 26 CT 4029
Back to top Go down
Rich13
Contributor
Contributor

Hi SWR  tone ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi SWR tone ?   Hi SWR  tone ? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 06, 2021 4:15 pm

Mine's the same Hi S on the screen.
There's also a setting which gives an alarm if you've been transmitting for more than a selectable set time , but it's never anywhere near the 2 minutes or so mine was set at and as you say the message is Hi S.

Back to top Go down
26uk81
Senior contributor
Senior contributor

Call Sign : 26UK81
QTH or Location : Oxford
Equipment Used : ss 6900N, AT5555N, President McKinley

Hi SWR  tone ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi SWR tone ?   Hi SWR  tone ? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2021 5:17 pm

I thought it said Hi 5!  Hehe

Seriously though, on my Superstars I just set the SWR alert to it’s lowest sensitivity so at least you get alerted if there is no antenna or a dead short.   Favourite trick for my radio was when using an amp in tow on sideband,  random S HI alarm if you pause speaking for a split second.

Far from the end of the world if you blow the finals on these rigs and you know how to use a soldering iron.   Trannies about £2.50 / pair and tube of CPU paste is all you need.

Rich13 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Hi SWR  tone ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi SWR tone ?   Hi SWR  tone ? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hi SWR tone ?
Page 1 of 1