Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
Half wave (vertical)dipole Vs (end-fed) Half wave Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:23 pm by Mr T

» gre 225 radio scanner
Half wave (vertical)dipole Vs (end-fed) Half wave Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:10 pm by rabbi

» crt ss 9900
Half wave (vertical)dipole Vs (end-fed) Half wave Icon_minitimeYesterday at 9:21 pm by John123

» Διακριτικό κλήσεις ct (Issued)
Half wave (vertical)dipole Vs (end-fed) Half wave Icon_minitimeYesterday at 2:38 pm by Vasilis

» CT call sign (Issued)
Half wave (vertical)dipole Vs (end-fed) Half wave Icon_minitimeYesterday at 1:25 am by Mike90

» Alinco DX-10 DAT file
Half wave (vertical)dipole Vs (end-fed) Half wave Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2024 9:30 pm by Alberto Rugarli

Half wave (vertical)dipole Vs (end-fed) Half wave Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2024 8:43 pm by stealth 57

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
Half wave (vertical)dipole Vs (end-fed) Half wave Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2024 8:13 pm by VanRougeT4

» Probably only ever buy 1/2 waves for 10m and 11m
Half wave (vertical)dipole Vs (end-fed) Half wave Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2024 1:39 pm by FreqFreak

Keywords
Sirio frequency ALINCO chart 9900 6900 list software call lincoln power sign 2022 Mobile callsign display Mckinley supply yaesu 2023 Baofeng ss9900 president antenna anytone meter
QRZ Database

Half wave (vertical)dipole Vs (end-fed) Half wave

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Half wave (vertical)dipole Vs (end-fed) Half wave Empty
PostSubject: Half wave (vertical)dipole Vs (end-fed) Half wave   Half wave (vertical)dipole Vs (end-fed) Half wave Icon_minitimeMon Dec 27, 2021 12:15 am

Both antennae had their tips at the same height.

I have spent a little while evaluating the difference between these two antennae. It boils down to a difference of 5dB locally (less than 10Km), 2dB out to the edge of the ground wave (35Km ish) and no difference via F2 skywave at least to triple hop distance. The end fed half wave was better in all circumstances.

Hmm, What to buy? Well, hmm, I'm a dX guy, so the dipole will be coming down and I'll pop a 50MHz beam up in it's place. Beyond that,, no idea, make your own choices. I got a cheap second hand G-Whip end fed and I can say it's a really good performer. I was going to try the dipole with a balun, but I really don't see the point.
Back to top Go down
Wireless
Major contributor
Major contributor

Times Thanked : 12
QTH or Location : Shrewsbury
Equipment Used : kit

PostSubject: Re: Half wave (vertical)dipole Vs (end-fed) Half wave   Half wave (vertical)dipole Vs (end-fed) Half wave Icon_minitimeMon Dec 27, 2021 1:45 am

Last edited by Wireless on Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Half wave (vertical)dipole Vs (end-fed) Half wave   Half wave (vertical)dipole Vs (end-fed) Half wave Icon_minitimeMon Dec 27, 2021 9:56 am

I should have said, but it was 28MHz. 

My antennae are at the end of my garden which slopes upwards and the ground level is well above ridge height. Then the bottom of the antenna is 6 metres above ground. 

From SE through to W the ground drops away rapidly down to the tidal river Avon, in other directions it is flat or rises slightly.

I used remote SDR's to check my signal out, they are very handy Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Half wave (vertical)dipole Vs (end-fed) Half wave   Half wave (vertical)dipole Vs (end-fed) Half wave Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Half wave (vertical)dipole Vs (end-fed) Half wave
Page 1 of 1