Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Your Amateur station is unique....but just how good is it?
Mobile - Portable/mobile 11m antenna Icon_minitimeToday at 7:59 am by Victor

» Giving PMR 446 Another Whirl
Mobile - Portable/mobile 11m antenna Icon_minitimeToday at 6:48 am by SangueG

» New shack in operation.
Mobile - Portable/mobile 11m antenna Icon_minitimeToday at 6:45 am by SangueG

» Galaxy Saturn modification ( -5khz )
Mobile - Portable/mobile 11m antenna Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:54 pm by John123

» Static/noise
Mobile - Portable/mobile 11m antenna Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:10 pm by John123

» President Himalaya wb half wave
Mobile - Portable/mobile 11m antenna Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:45 pm by John79

» South Coast PMR net report
Mobile - Portable/mobile 11m antenna Icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:48 pm by Razz229

» 11m conditions
Mobile - Portable/mobile 11m antenna Icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2024 10:50 pm by John123

» Gainmaster 5/8
Mobile - Portable/mobile 11m antenna Icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2024 5:06 pm by madmax

Keywords
list president software yaesu anytone Mckinley chart frequency ALINCO 6900 Baofeng antenna display 9900 meter sign lincoln 2024 2023 callsign Sirio power call Mobile 2022 ss9900
QRZ Database

Portable/mobile 11m antenna

Go down 
+6
Swadeyboy
Razz229
Wireless
SangueG
GaryWilson
Kindred
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Kindred
Kindred

Call Sign : 26-CT-4373 2E0HHW
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Washington,Tyne and Wear
Equipment Used : SS9900, Silver rod Antenna, 991A Radio, 817nd, Kenwood TS-711e, X50 and HF 360 Antennas

Mobile - Portable/mobile 11m antenna Empty
PostSubject: Portable/mobile 11m antenna   Mobile - Portable/mobile 11m antenna Icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2022 10:49 am

Hi Guys

I need your advice again. What antenna would you recommend or use out mobile or portable on 11m? More so portable I am unable to use the ss9900 in the house due to the s9 of noise so thinking portable as well as going portable with the 817. 

Also will a separate 12v car battery be sufficient to power the radio? 

Thanks in advance

Chris

26ct4373/2e0hhw

Tristar likes this post

Back to top Go down
GaryWilson
CT Directors
CT Directors
GaryWilson

Call Sign : 26-CT-1836 Ham 2E0GGQ
Times Thanked : 374
QTH or Location : Redcar, North Yorkshire.
Equipment Used : Radios & Wires & Stuff!

PostSubject: Re: Portable/mobile 11m antenna   Mobile - Portable/mobile 11m antenna Icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2022 11:10 am

I use a T2LT for portable and a Wilson 1000 mobile.

73's Gary.

Tristar, SangueG and Paul Bennetts like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/2E0GGQ
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

Call Sign : 26-CT-3971 / 2E0LMI
Times Thanked : 72
QTH or Location : Cirencester, Gloucestershire
Equipment Used : Little radios, home-made antennas

PostSubject: Re: Portable/mobile 11m antenna   Mobile - Portable/mobile 11m antenna Icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2022 1:15 pm

I second the T2LT for portable. Easy and cheap to make, or fairly cheap to buy readymade. Works well.

A 12v car battery will run them, but I wouldn't want to carry one portable. There are newer and lighter battery technologies out there. I have used a small car jumper pack, a fraction of the size and weight of a car battery. There's a pick in THIS thread.
Back to top Go down
https://station-master.online/2E0LMI
Wireless
Major contributor
Major contributor

Times Thanked : 12
QTH or Location : Shrewsbury
Equipment Used : kit

PostSubject: Re: Portable/mobile 11m antenna   Mobile - Portable/mobile 11m antenna Icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2022 4:00 pm

Might be worthwhile trying to operate from a shed in the garden, to reduce the noise floor by getting away from houses, also, operating from a leisure battery might reduce any powerline noise.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Portable/mobile 11m antenna   Mobile - Portable/mobile 11m antenna Icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2022 4:16 pm

I would try putting your antenna as far away from houses as possible. I'm not sure what controls you have on the ss9900 but try adjusting the noise blanker settings, reduce the bandwidth - the usual things to try.
Back to top Go down
Kindred
Kindred

Equipment Used : SS9900, Silver rod Antenna, 991A Radio, 817nd, Kenwood TS-711e, X50 and HF 360 Antennas

PostSubject: Re: Portable/mobile 11m antenna   Mobile - Portable/mobile 11m antenna Icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2022 6:04 pm

GaryWilson wrote:

73's Gary.
Thanks Gary I have had a look the T2LT looks easy to build and the wilson looks good too.

Trunky I am plagued with noise on the HF set as well I am unable to find the source

Wireless thats the plan except I was aiming to drive out to somewhere away from houses and set up an antenna mounted on the windjammer with the radio powered by a separate battery. I have been looking at the leisure batteries 

SangueG Thanks for that I will have a look some of the amateurs I talk to regularly recommend the lipo4 battery but they are difficult to find in the uk.

Thanks guys really appreciate your advice and help
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Portable/mobile 11m antenna   Mobile - Portable/mobile 11m antenna Icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2022 7:03 pm

Kindred wrote:
GaryWilson wrote:

73's Gary.
Thanks Gary I have had a look the T2LT looks easy to build and the wilson looks good too.

Trunky I am plagued with noise on the HF set as well I am unable to find the source

Wireless thats the plan except I was aiming to drive out to somewhere away from houses and set up an antenna mounted on the windjammer with the radio powered by a separate battery. I have been looking at the leisure batteries 

SangueG Thanks for that I will have a look some of the amateurs I talk to regularly recommend the lipo4 battery but they are difficult to find in the uk.

Kindred I’ve started to do exactly the same thing because of my terrible QRM at times.
It’s not on all channels but the 3 worst are on Mids and S6 would be on a good day.So just 300 meters away from my QTH on nice open ground while using my 6900n a 9 foot 1/4 wave tank whip and just radio power.Guess what S0 noise not a bloody crackle..
I actually forgot what it was like to flick though the channels without having to skip past 11,12 and 13 on Mid block.
Signal reports have been favourable to see the least and the conditions lately haven’t exactly been fantastic.I’ve still got a bit of tinkering to do and a new leisure battery is on the shopping list,I’m wondering why I put up with it so long.Roll on better weather and a lift of propagation..
Cheers Tom.
26CT4029
Back to top Go down
Wireless
Major contributor
Major contributor

Times Thanked : 12
QTH or Location : Shrewsbury
Equipment Used : kit

PostSubject: Re: Portable/mobile 11m antenna   Mobile - Portable/mobile 11m antenna Icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2022 8:10 pm

Kindred wrote:
GaryWilson wrote:

73's Gary.

Then this might be more down your street

...or beach...

Swadeyboy and Kindred like this post

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Portable/mobile 11m antenna   Mobile - Portable/mobile 11m antenna Icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2022 10:29 pm

My aerials when near the house pick up all the local hash noise, but 30m away at the end of the garden which is also 30m away from any other property then it's blissful.
Back to top Go down
Razz229
Major contributor
Major contributor
Razz229

Call Sign : 26 CT 2290 & 26 CI 2290
Times Thanked : 28
QTH or Location : Kent
Equipment Used : On 11m a Anytone 6666, Solarcon A99 vertical antenna or a Sirio 4000. On PMR a CRT Space U, a 1/4 wave GPA, homemade mag mount & sometimes a 8 element beam.

PostSubject: Re: Portable/mobile 11m antenna   Mobile - Portable/mobile 11m antenna Icon_minitimeSun Jan 16, 2022 11:22 am

Hi Chris

When I'm driving around I use a Anytone AT-6666 and a Sirio 4000 on a mag mount.

When I'm parked up for some time, the same radio with a drive on base, a 3 metre mast and a plain old cheap 1/2 wave GPA or a T2LT and a 10 metre fibre glass fishing pole strapped to a fence post.

This is all powered by a couple of batteries in the footwell and if out during the day backed up with a solar panel (which is a work in progress)

Yes it is a pain in the rear end having to take it all out and then put it all back in, but it's cheaper than replacing stolen radios and vehicle window glass!

Hope this is some help
Ray
CT 2290 & CI 2290

Kindred and TG064 like this post

Back to top Go down
Swadeyboy
Contributor
Contributor
Swadeyboy

Call Sign : 26-CT-3743
QTH or Location : Chingford London
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT450D and Sigma SE HF360 vertical

PostSubject: Re: Portable/mobile 11m antenna   Mobile - Portable/mobile 11m antenna Icon_minitimeTue Jan 18, 2022 3:45 pm

The Hawkins SSD58+ works really well on a long fishing pole. It basically a 5/8th wave Gainmaster out of the plastic tubing. 10/11mtrs without any tuning.

Tristar and Kindred like this post

Back to top Go down
muffie02

Call Sign : 26ct333
QTH or Location : plymouth uk
Equipment Used : legal cb

PostSubject: Re: Portable/mobile 11m antenna   Mobile - Portable/mobile 11m antenna Icon_minitimeWed Jan 19, 2022 4:00 pm

MFJ  17 foot telescopic / ground spike /radials x3 or 4   + decent atu + lifepo4 battery  =  work whatever - ft818 - cb - etc  -   either that or an atu and random wire  - again works well  - ok directional to an extent  but  sometimes just what you need

Kindred likes this post

Back to top Go down
Kindred
Kindred

PostSubject: Re: Portable/mobile 11m antenna   Mobile - Portable/mobile 11m antenna Icon_minitimeThu Jan 20, 2022 12:13 pm

Swadeyboy wrote:
The Hawkins SSD58+ works really well on a long fishing pole. It basically a 5/8th wave Gainmaster out of the plastic tubing. 10/11mtrs without any tuning.
Hi I was looking at the Hawkins SSD12 any thoughts on it?

Tristar likes this post

Back to top Go down
Kindred
Kindred

PostSubject: Re: Portable/mobile 11m antenna   Mobile - Portable/mobile 11m antenna Icon_minitimeThu Jan 20, 2022 12:19 pm

Razz229 wrote:
Hi Chris

When I'm driving around I use a Anytone AT-6666 and a Sirio 4000 on a mag mount.

When I'm parked up for some time, the same radio with a drive on base, a 3 metre mast and a plain old cheap 1/2 wave GPA or a T2LT and a 10 metre fibre glass fishing pole strapped to a fence post.

This is all powered by a couple of batteries in the footwell and if out during the day backed up with a solar panel (which is a work in progress)

Yes it is a pain in the rear end having to take it all out and then put it all back in, but it's cheaper than replacing stolen radios and vehicle window glass!

Hope this is some help
Ray
CT 2290 & CI 2290
Hi Ray, Thats what I am planning on doing once I get an antenna sorted but tonight I hope to go out with the 817 with the drive on mount and windjammer with the 2m flowerpot antenna I made and the spx 100 hf antenna.

Razz229 likes this post

Back to top Go down
hornet01uk

Call Sign : 26-CT-4391
QTH or Location : Earl Shilton
Equipment Used : President McKinley, Thunderpole T-600

PostSubject: Re: Portable/mobile 11m antenna   Mobile - Portable/mobile 11m antenna Icon_minitimeFri Jan 21, 2022 5:34 pm

Kindred wrote:
Hi Guys

I need your advice again. What antenna would you recommend or use out mobile or portable on 11m? More so portable I am unable to use the ss9900 in the house due to the s9 of noise so thinking portable as well as going portable with the 817. 

Also will a separate 12v car battery be sufficient to power the radio? 

Thanks in advance

Chris

26ct4373/2e0hhw
Hi mate, I'm on mobile at the moment although I only use the radio when I'm parked up. I use a President McKinley (widebanded) and a Sirio 4000 on a mag mount. Battery wise I use a high capacity lipo from one of my RC cars. All of this is easily unpacked and re-packed up into a backpack when you're finished. I get out far on the normal bands (40 miles on high ground) and received signals from as far Puerto Rico on SSB. I would definitely recommend this antenna and general set up  Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Kindred
Kindred

PostSubject: Re: Portable/mobile 11m antenna   Mobile - Portable/mobile 11m antenna Icon_minitimeSat Feb 19, 2022 6:06 pm

Hi Guys,

Just thought I would update you on what I settled for. I have a leisure battery to run the ss9900 from the car so its separate from the cars electrical system and bought the thunderbolt SSD12 for 11m and uk40. I have not had the opportunity to get out with it due to the recent storms.

I did get out portable with the 817nd one night using the homemade flowerpot antenna. I had some mixed results which I have put down to my choice of location I also had an swr problem which I couldnt work out as its normally spot on with that antenna.

Chris 26ct4373/2e0hhw

Tristar likes this post

Back to top Go down
Tristar
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Tristar

Call Sign : 26-CT-3771
Times Thanked : 3
QTH or Location : Weston-super-Mare
Equipment Used : CRT Millennium 3v hand sets, President Barry2

PostSubject: Re: Portable/mobile 11m antenna   Mobile - Portable/mobile 11m antenna Icon_minitimeSun Feb 20, 2022 5:36 pm

Kindred wrote:
Hi Guys,

Just thought I would update you on what I settled for. I have a leisure battery to run the ss9900 from the car so its separate from the cars electrical system and bought the thunderbolt SSD12 for 11m and uk40. I have not had the opportunity to get out with it due to the recent storms.

I did get out portable with the 817nd one night using the homemade flowerpot antenna. I had some mixed results which I have put down to my choice of location I also had an swr problem which I couldnt work out as its normally spot on with that antenna.

Chris 26ct4373/2e0hhw
Hi 👋🏻 

I’ve used the Hawkins 1/2 and 5/8 mobile and home base.
 Great antennas! 
Never had a issue with the swr. Just plugged it in and 1:2 max. 
I use a flag pole, 10 m both at home and mobile
Hope you get some good copies!👍🏴????????????????????????
Back to top Go down
caspian40

Call Sign : 26-CT-1758 / M6MWT
QTH or Location : Rendlesham suffolk
Equipment Used : Ic7300

PostSubject: Re: Portable/mobile 11m antenna   Mobile - Portable/mobile 11m antenna Icon_minitimeSun Feb 20, 2022 6:01 pm

Ive just ordered the Hawkins 5/8 for 10 through 12
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Portable/mobile 11m antenna   Mobile - Portable/mobile 11m antenna Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Portable/mobile 11m antenna
Page 1 of 1