Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Store bought antenna to use with baofeng t1 mini handy
Microphone extension Icon_minitimeToday at 8:29 am by chazwozza

» Hi new to this group just checkn in...
Microphone extension Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:47 pm by John123

» new call sign (Issued)
Microphone extension Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:42 pm by John123

» CT call sign request (Information requested)
Microphone extension Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:40 pm by John123

» CB antenna/ PMR antenna compatibility question.
Microphone extension Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:13 pm by Razz229

» Southern Area and South Coast SSB Net
Microphone extension Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:42 pm by Razz229

»  baofeng t1 mini handy users uk
Microphone extension Icon_minitimeYesterday at 2:59 pm by Izzi

» Antron 99 install loads of noise
Microphone extension Icon_minitimeYesterday at 1:57 pm by micscave

» HF Contacts 15m
Microphone extension Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:11 am by VanRougeT4

Keywords
yaesu meter 2022 Mobile Baofeng supply 6900 Mckinley 9900 sign call software callsign display power lincoln 2023 president ALINCO chart frequency antenna anytone Sirio ss9900 list
QRZ Database

Microphone extension

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Blue Boy
Contributor
Contributor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3366
Times Thanked : 2
QTH or Location : North Manchester
Equipment Used : crt 6900n - midland 705d -

Microphone extension Empty
PostSubject: Microphone extension   Microphone extension Icon_minitimeTue Jan 18, 2022 7:50 pm

Have a 6900n for home base. Fits neatly into a cupboard with all my other gear in the spare bedroom. The problem is that the mic lead is too short - it pulls on the plug if I relax into the chair. I thought easy enough I've got a spare lead and a male and female plug I'll just use the extension wire to wire (i.e. pin 1 to pin 1 - 2 to 2 - 3 to 3 and pin 4 redundant) and I can't go wrong. Great I've wired it up twice now - radio comes on I PTT and the channel changes. I've been involved in CB since 1970 and thought I knew what I was doing - what am I missing? Wire for wire must work - no need to worry about colours etc.... any suggestions (even if it's to say I'm thick) would help if I can get the extension in....
Back to top Go down
Razz229
Major contributor
Major contributor
Razz229

Call Sign : 26 CT 2290 & 26 CI 2290
Times Thanked : 28
QTH or Location : Kent
Equipment Used : On 11m a Anytone 6666, Solarcon A99 vertical antenna or a Sirio 4000. On PMR a TYT TH-9800, a 1/4 wave GPA, homemade mag mount & sometimes a 8 element beam.

PostSubject: Re: Microphone extension   Microphone extension Icon_minitimeTue Jan 18, 2022 8:17 pm

Are you using the standard mic and does this problem happen when you are not using the extension lead?

If you are using the standard mic, they are known for changing channels when you key up or even midway through a Qso. I had the same mic on my CRE 8900 and after about 6 months it developed the same fault. I swapped it for a standard coffin mic and the problem went away.

So your extension lead could be ok and it's the 50p production mic that is the problem.

Ray
CT 2290

Blue Boy likes this post

Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: Microphone extension   Microphone extension Icon_minitimeTue Jan 18, 2022 9:15 pm

Could it be a bit of rf and the extra cable picking it up.
Never used this radio so not sure on any problems with it.
Turn the power right down and try it if it is still the same then it's not rf.

Blue Boy likes this post

Back to top Go down
Blue Boy
Contributor
Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Microphone extension   Microphone extension Icon_minitimeFri Jan 21, 2022 6:53 pm

The fault wasn't occurring with the supplied mic connected directly to the set. It only started happening when I attached the piece of extension wire. Like the logic and it could be the mic. Also got the reasoning of the rf explanation. Keep on tinkering. Now got a 2nd hand MB+5. Load of gear - non of it working proper. Oh well..

Razz229 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Razz229
Major contributor
Major contributor
Razz229

Equipment Used : On 11m a Anytone 6666, Solarcon A99 vertical antenna or a Sirio 4000. On PMR a TYT TH-9800, a 1/4 wave GPA, homemade mag mount & sometimes a 8 element beam.

PostSubject: Re: Microphone extension   Microphone extension Icon_minitimeSat Jan 22, 2022 7:51 pm

Don't know if this is going to help or if you found a fix

If I remember, the up & downs buttons are connected to the radio using the same wire as the transmit wire. 
In the mic the the up/down buttons are directed through 2 resistors and maybe a diode.
Because I'm no tech, I'm going to ask the question and hope an answer will help you.

Will the extension lead being longer and maybe of a different thickness of wire mean the components in the mic are now not up to the job? Which in turn is causing the problem?

Blue Boy likes this post

Back to top Go down
Blue Boy
Contributor
Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Microphone extension   Microphone extension Icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2022 7:50 pm

Would you believe it - got the extension working. I took it all apart and cleaned up the solder lugs - works. I think my hap-hazard soldering had connected two wires that shouldn't have been connected. Thanks for all the hints and answers

Razz229 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Razz229
Major contributor
Major contributor
Razz229

PostSubject: Re: Microphone extension   Microphone extension Icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2022 8:33 pm

Blue Boy wrote:
Would you believe it - got the extension working. I took it all apart and cleaned up the solder lugs - works. I think my hap-hazard soldering had connected two wires that shouldn't have been connected. Thanks for all the hints and answers

Glad you got it sorted and enjoy your radio 😀
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Microphone extension   Microphone extension Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Microphone extension
Page 1 of 1