Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Giving PMR 446 Another Whirl
End fed on the ground? Icon_minitimeToday at 6:48 am by SangueG

» New shack in operation.
End fed on the ground? Icon_minitimeToday at 6:45 am by SangueG

» Your Amateur station is unique....but just how good is it?
End fed on the ground? Icon_minitimeToday at 6:28 am by SangueG

» Galaxy Saturn modification ( -5khz )
End fed on the ground? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:54 pm by John123

» Static/noise
End fed on the ground? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:10 pm by John123

» President Himalaya wb half wave
End fed on the ground? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:45 pm by John79

» South Coast PMR net report
End fed on the ground? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:48 pm by Razz229

» 11m conditions
End fed on the ground? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2024 10:50 pm by John123

» Gainmaster 5/8
End fed on the ground? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2024 5:06 pm by madmax

Keywords
yaesu power Baofeng 2023 2022 meter Mobile software 6900 anytone chart display ALINCO call Sirio list 2024 Mckinley ss9900 sign president callsign antenna lincoln frequency 9900
QRZ Database

End fed on the ground?

Go down 
AuthorMessage

End fed on the ground? Empty
PostSubject: End fed on the ground?   End fed on the ground? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2022 10:03 am

I dropped the 10m pole holding up the coax fed (via a 4:1UnUn) compromise antenna to the ground earlier today. It's now facing downhill and, in reality is about 6-12 inches off the ground.

Well, it works better on 40m than it did before, much lower noise, tunes fine and reports are great. I have used a LOG antenna for receive only in the past and found it a little disappointing, so this is a pleasant surprise.

I am going to run a full size 40m end fed along the fence and see if it's as good - I think Neal did this?
Back to top Go down
G0RQQ
Contributor
Contributor

Call Sign : 26CT866
Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : Lincoln
Equipment Used : CRT2000 on CB, FT-920 on amateur bands; end-fed wire 20m long

PostSubject: Re: End fed on the ground?   End fed on the ground? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2022 1:01 pm

I have an end-fed half-wave for 40m which has half its length looped around a washing line (!!) and the other half attached to a wooden fence, so it’s only a couple of metres above ground. 

With my MFJ tuner I’ve persuaded it to work on all bands from 160m to 6m and actually performance has been quite good. Notable contacts have been Market Reef on 160m FT8 and being heard in the USA and Canada on 6m FT8, all with powers in the 30 watt level.

Although I live in a building consisting of maisonettes in a dense urban area, the electrical noise is surprisingly quite low.

keithgriffin1962 and Tristar like this post

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: End fed on the ground?   End fed on the ground? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2022 1:42 pm

Hi Keith, it's the noise that has dropped that is the most astonishing. Probably not that surprising when you think that the radiation pattern is now skewed skyward.

It's a lucky finding and when I put the pole the pole back up I shall definitely be connecting the spare coax to a 49:1 UnUn and installing a 40m half wave along the fence line.
Back to top Go down
G0RQQ
Contributor
Contributor

Call Sign : 26CT866
Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : Lincoln
Equipment Used : CRT2000 on CB, FT-920 on amateur bands; end-fed wire 20m long

PostSubject: Re: End fed on the ground?   End fed on the ground? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2022 2:09 pm

I’m not sure whether the lack of noise here is due to the radiation being predominantly straight up (as you mention) or whether I’m just lucky in not having any QRM-generating electronics close by. 

I suspect it’s possibly the former, as within a few hundred metres I have numerous houses, shops, medical offices, and a museum all of which must have electronic devices.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: End fed on the ground?   End fed on the ground? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2022 2:22 pm

Surrounded by houses here, fortunately the gardens are quite long. Far too many trendy solar panels too!

I've made up the UnUn and element ready to go, we shall see if it works. The feed point will be 5m higher than the end of the element and no point will be more than 3 feet above ground. If necessary I can drop it down lower.

I have really enjoyed 40m today because of this storm Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: End fed on the ground?   End fed on the ground? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

End fed on the ground?
Page 1 of 1