Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» CT call sign (Issued)
Am i Doing something wrong? Icon_minitimeToday at 1:25 am by Mike90

» Alinco DX-10 DAT file
Am i Doing something wrong? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 9:30 pm by Alberto Rugarli

Am i Doing something wrong? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:43 pm by stealth 57

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
Am i Doing something wrong? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:13 pm by VanRougeT4

» Διακριτικό κλήσεις ct (Issued)
Am i Doing something wrong? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 1:49 pm by babis3g

» Probably only ever buy 1/2 waves for 10m and 11m
Am i Doing something wrong? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 1:39 pm by FreqFreak

» Anytone 6667
Am i Doing something wrong? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:24 am by Julian brian

» Help needed
Am i Doing something wrong? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:02 am by Mighty mutts

» Is FM CB still alive?
Am i Doing something wrong? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:26 am by axlejack

Keywords
chart display list callsign call ss9900 software Mobile ALINCO supply president Baofeng 2023 Sirio sign Mckinley anytone power meter 6900 antenna 9900 2022 frequency yaesu lincoln
QRZ Database

Am i Doing something wrong?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Onyeredson
Onyeredson

Call Sign : 178-CT-005 M7WZE
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : POPOVO TARGOVISHTE
Equipment Used : FT-290R. FT-221R. TS-820S

Am i Doing something wrong? Empty
PostSubject: Am i Doing something wrong?   Am i Doing something wrong? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 27, 2022 7:20 am

Good day to you all, I hope this topic finds you in good health and comfortable. 
Very new to Ham radio and slowly dipping my toes. I wonder if anyone is using a Kenwood TS820? I have purchased via eBay and hope not another boat anchor. Service/user manual consulted and tests showing no RF out. All seems to point to finals so all vacuum tubes replaced and still the same. I balance the plate and set power out and peak well on meter but nothing going out. I know there is a switch on the rear plus a pot under a castle nut and both have been adjusted with negative results.
So love this rig, simple to navigate and reception brilliant, my home brew 1/2 wave and end fed both pull in signals from USA, Canada and Europe no problem. Supposed to kick out 100w as yet can't even light up a bulb.
Have a Super weekend everyone and Ciao for now from across the pond. 73
Paul 'W'  Onyer¬Edson  LZM7WZRE
Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: Am i Doing something wrong?   Am i Doing something wrong? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 27, 2022 8:59 am

Victor where are you on this one.
Our Victor is into the old kit and he might have some idea.

Onyeredson likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Am i Doing something wrong?   Am i Doing something wrong? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 27, 2022 10:01 am

Got to admit I don't have a lot of knowledge regards the old Kenwoods never managing to own or work on one.
(They were quite cheap then shot up in price during the Covid Ham licence surge! Wink )

There seems to be information aplenty on the web though Paul so you shouldn't have too much difficulty finding solutions. If I come across anything that might come in handy I'll be sure to let you know. Am i Doing something wrong? 1f44d 

In the mean time someone else on the forum might have some input so well worth asking here.

Alan....your faith in me is astounding mate.
(But I'll be the first to admit not knowing about something. Wink )

All the best,
Victor

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Am i Doing something wrong?   Am i Doing something wrong? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 27, 2022 10:33 am

I just found out that the genius of old Kenwood servicing Ken, K4EAA is now unfortunately SK.
(I had his site book marked a while back when I was considering a TS-520.)

However his site is still up and running with his fabulous high resolution scans of the service manuals which can be found here :-

https://www.k4eaa.com/schematics.htm

The 'S' versions are the same but with the digital display as standard.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by Victor on Sun Feb 27, 2022 10:34 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Tidying up of URL link)

Back to top Go down
Onyeredson
Onyeredson

PostSubject: Re: Am i Doing something wrong?   Am i Doing something wrong? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2022 6:59 am

Victor wrote:
I just found out that the genius of old Kenwood servicing Ken, K4EAA is now unfortunately SK.

However his site is still up and running with his fabulous high resolution scans of the service manuals which can be found here :-

Hope that helps.
Thank you kindly for this info, surprised to see response to my request in Feb.
Purchased MFJ Antenna tuner Versa II works well and I'm now seeing power outage. Turning the heaters on helps. (DoZey) Propagation on sunny days here B.G. excellent, Canada, Russia, Serbia, Tehran, U.s.a. and of course Europe. Contesting a real mess as one can't modulate for Qso as all responses ignored just want to register.... As yet still to make my first Qso. Purchased magnetic loop antenna via eBay and carefully weatherproofed. Serious snow last few days and believe me Icicles 1mtr+ in length and growing as I type. Run out of Lpg for space heater in Workshop/Shack so at Minus 7 staying inside. Loop will be installed later. Thank you All for your information/references and have a Wonderful Weekend. Stay comfortable & Safe. 73   Paul Wills   M7WZE

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Am i Doing something wrong?   Am i Doing something wrong? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2022 7:24 am

Glad to hear that you're getting somewhere with it all there Paul and I wish you the best of luck. Am i Doing something wrong? 1f44d 

Your WX report sent shivers down my spine! You keep warm there my friend.

All the very best to you,
Victor
Back to top Go down
Onyeredson
Onyeredson

PostSubject: Re: Am i Doing something wrong?   Am i Doing something wrong? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2022 7:28 am

Onyeredson wrote:
Victor wrote:

Hope that helps.
Thank you kindly for this info, surprised to see response to my request in Feb.
Purchased MFJ Antenna tuner Versa II works well and I'm now seeing power outage. Turning the heaters on helps. (DoZey) Propagation on sunny days here B.G. excellent, Canada, Russia, Serbia, Tehran, U.s.a. and of course Europe. Contesting a real mess as one can't modulate for Qso as all responses ignored just want to register.... As yet still to make my first Qso. Purchased magnetic loop antenna via eBay and carefully weatherproofed. Serious snow last few days and believe me Icicles 1mtr+ in length and growing as I type. Run out of Lpg for space heater in Workshop/Shack so at Minus 7 staying inside. Loop will be installed later. Thank you All for your information/references and have a Wonderful Weekend. Stay comfortable & Safe. 73   Paul Wills   M7WZE
Well what a very interesting site, Condolences for Silent Key Ken. He must have been one heck of a guy being in contact with Mr Kenwood himself. Thanks again for the link, all copied and bookmarked. Ciao for now from Frozen and very sunny Bulgaria... 73. WillZee Wills.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Am i Doing something wrong?   Am i Doing something wrong? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Am i Doing something wrong?
Page 1 of 1