Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Antenna Advice.....?
Which President? Icon_minitimeToday at 5:12 am by Victor

» First dx in 40 plus years
Which President? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:36 pm by John123

» 10m dxcc ......
Which President? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:40 am by peewee norfolk

» Multimode mobile antenna
Which President? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:36 am by peewee norfolk

» New member call sign request (Issued)
Which President? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 5:03 am by Victor

» New call sign request (Issued)
Which President? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2024 10:19 pm by John123

» Call Sign Request (Issued)
Which President? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2024 6:37 pm by Jimnic333

» had a change around
Which President? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2024 6:22 am by SangueG

» Back Again (Returning Member)
Which President? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 25, 2024 8:34 pm by John123

Keywords
Mckinley president ALINCO display ss9900 list lincoln chart yaesu sign antenna 2023 6900 frequency Sirio call Mobile software meter 2022 power callsign 9900 anytone supply Baofeng
QRZ Database

Which President?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
RobChap

Call Sign : 26-CT-4465
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Sheffield, UK
Equipment Used : President McKinley, CRT SS 9900,CRT M9 Mic, Zetagi TM-999, Sirio Magmount 145, 1/4 Wave 9 foot Tank Whip/Red Devil Antenna. T2LT Wire Antenna on 10m DX Commander.

Which President? Empty
PostSubject: Which President?   Which President? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 08, 2022 7:54 pm

I am considering buying another radio apart from my CRT SS9900.
I would like a President radio.
Which is better a McKinley or a Lincoln 2 plus. Theres not much in the price to be honest.

Regards Rob.
PS, I’m a 11m SSB User.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

Which President? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which President?   Which President? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 09, 2022 6:49 am

Hi Rob,

As you say there's not much in it as regards price between the radios and they seem to be similar as far as circuitry design goes. The insides of the Lincoln have multiple shielded, (metal boxes), sections whereas the McKinley doesn't but according to reports many claim the McKinley has the edge in as far as receive capability(?) They're both the same spec on paper so it must be down to a personal preference.

I suppose the proof of the pudding is in as far as how they are to operate but again this will come down to personal preference more than anything. Hopefully a friendly member here has experience of one or the other and can give some personal input as unfortunately I've never owned either.

They're both nice radios and I believe they both have VFO capability which must be better than playing with 5kHz steps and clarifying. Wink

I hope however you choose that you're happy with your decision. Which President? 1f44d 

All the best,
Victor

Tristar and RobChap like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
StevieG
Major contributor
Major contributor
StevieG

Call Sign : 26-CT-3239 , Jolly Roger 272, 26-TG-987 , 26-RB-060 , 26-CO-3239
Times Thanked : 120
QTH or Location : SW London
Equipment Used : Icom IC 7610, Stryker sr955hpc, Colt Excalibur SSB, President GrantII JacksonII McKinley EU, CRTSS6900N,CRTSS9900, KPO DX5000 Plus, Cobra 148 GTL-DX MK2, Cobra 2000 GTL, Zetagi B550p, Bremi BRL200, RM KL200P, KL203P, KL703, Sirio 4000, Sirio 3000 Bull, Stryker SR-A10, Antron99 Fire up , Hawkins Thunderbolt SSD58+ , Sirio 827, Heil pro micro headset, KPO NM532-KPO NM452- Astatic 575M6 Astatic D104 Silver Eagle, Delta M2 , UR6QW 8 Band eq, Uniden and AOR scanner

Which President? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which President?   Which President? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 09, 2022 7:19 am

Hi Rob, as Victor has pointed out the McKinley has the edge on receive (I own 2),however the Lincoln +2 has suffered from finals issues some having to be returned several times, the MK1 Lincoln is in my opinion a much better version.
I have been a President fan for many years and have owned pretty much the whole catalogue over the years and feel the +2 is bit of a gamble, don't get me wrong when it works its a good radio but be aware of the issues many owners have had.
Enjoy your new radio whatever you decide to buy and welcome to your new addiction lol!
73s
Steve.

Victor, Tristar and RobChap like this post

Back to top Go down
RobChap

Equipment Used : President McKinley, CRT SS 9900,CRT M9 Mic, Zetagi TM-999, Sirio Magmount 145, 1/4 Wave 9 foot Tank Whip/Red Devil Antenna. T2LT Wire Antenna on 10m DX Commander.

Which President? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which President?   Which President? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 09, 2022 9:52 am

Thank you for the replies Victor & Steve.
It looks like the Mckinley seems a better option.
Could I ask what would be your choice for a static mobile radio for 11m 27mhz that is compact?

StevieG, Victor and RobChap like this post

Back to top Go down
Lima alpha 1
Lima alpha 1

Call Sign : 108-CT-278
QTH or Location : Edinburgh
Equipment Used : President McKinley, crt 9900,kenwood480sat,RM KL 203P ,IMAX 2000,, president home base KP77 UBC360 cle scanner Albrecht 6110ae CRT 9900,Baufeng T5 Handheld

Which President? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which President?   Which President? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 09, 2022 4:52 pm

Hi if your looking for something compact just for 27mhz personally I use the Albrecht AE6110 it’s around the size of 2 cigarettes packets and it a multi norm with am/Fm I fitted mine vertically at the side of the centre console on the passenger side so I can see the screen it doesn’t get in the way and plugs straight into cigarette lighter socket , if you put an rm kl 203 behind it and I use the sirio fighter 5000 mag mount it really does the damage ive had some great reports on it and it’s really good on receive there only around £50 for the Albrecht but getting harder to find I’ve always said if they ever make one with ssb on it I’d definitely buy one as they perform really well hope this is helpful 73,s len

RobChap likes this post

Back to top Go down
RobChap

Which President? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which President?   Which President? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 09, 2022 6:16 pm

Thanks for the reply.
Its a nice radio, but its an 11m ssb I’m after.
Back to top Go down
Paul145

Call Sign : 26-CT-4148
QTH or Location : Liversedge, West Yorkshire
Equipment Used : Yeasu FT1000MP Icom IC 7000 2EL Delta Loop

Which President? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which President?   Which President? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 10, 2022 11:43 am

Hi Rob,

not too sure if this information is of any use, regarding the President Radio's, i have used quite a lot of the older radio's and still rate them to be honest. Only used the later Lincoln static mobile for a short time, then i bought the McKinley and used it from my Truck. A nice piece if kit to use, worked a treat, managed to work stations all over the UK sporadic E conditions, original Mic Maximum 25W PEP with a Wilson 2000 Trucker antenna.
I can't say anything bad about the McKinley, i think President has actually put some thought into the new radio's.
Hope this helps in your final decision, good luck.

26 CT 4148

Paul.

Tristar likes this post

Back to top Go down
RobChap

Which President? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which President?   Which President? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 10, 2022 11:48 am

Thanks Paul.
Yes I know a guy with a McKinley and a Wilson 5000 and he sends a fine signal and audio.
I don't think you can beat my 1/4 wave tank whip but that my opinion.

Regards Rob.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Which President? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which President?   Which President? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Which President?
Page 1 of 1