Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» 11m conditions
president - President Randy 3 Handheld Transceiver  Icon_minitimeToday at 12:11 pm by glenn dog

» CRT space U/ space V
president - President Randy 3 Handheld Transceiver  Icon_minitimeToday at 11:27 am by 26CT1074

» CW sidesweeper, new project
president - President Randy 3 Handheld Transceiver  Icon_minitimeToday at 11:01 am by stephen Gunrunner

» EU conditions have started
president - President Randy 3 Handheld Transceiver  Icon_minitimeToday at 6:04 am by SangueG

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge League Table 2024
president - President Randy 3 Handheld Transceiver  Icon_minitimeToday at 5:35 am by SangueG

» CT callsign please (Issued)
president - President Randy 3 Handheld Transceiver  Icon_minitimeToday at 2:23 am by Pozerman1959

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
president - President Randy 3 Handheld Transceiver  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:25 pm by Sydthecat

» Siro Boomerang 27A
president - President Randy 3 Handheld Transceiver  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:28 am by FreqFreak

» Southern Area and South Coast SSB Net
president - President Randy 3 Handheld Transceiver  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:10 am by Razz229

Keywords
Mckinley call display callsign sign Sirio 2022 frequency ss9900 president list 9900 antenna chart 6900 software 2023 power lincoln supply Mobile anytone ALINCO meter yaesu Baofeng
QRZ Database

President Randy 3 Handheld Transceiver

Go down 
+8
Wireless
BASS 666
Johnboy23
Dave_P
Bones
RadioWavez
Victor
Sharpshooter
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

president - President Randy 3 Handheld Transceiver  Empty
PostSubject: President Randy 3 Handheld Transceiver    president - President Randy 3 Handheld Transceiver  Icon_minitimeMon May 02, 2022 11:13 pm

Hi All, 

Decided to go for it and ordered the President Randy 3 HT. 
Any members own one ?
Appreciate any feedback about this handheld and your experience using it.

Cheers, 

John.
Back to top Go down
Sharpshooter
Major contributor
Major contributor
Sharpshooter

Call Sign : 163-CT-329
Times Thanked : 13
QTH or Location : Deeside, Flintshire
Equipment Used : A growing list

PostSubject: Re: President Randy 3 Handheld Transceiver    president - President Randy 3 Handheld Transceiver  Icon_minitimeTue May 03, 2022 1:47 am

whip52 wrote:
Hi All, 

Decided to go for it and ordered the President Randy 3 HT. 
Any members own one ?
Appreciate any feedback about this handheld and your experience using it.

Cheers, 

John.

Not a clue mate and I'm waiting to come back on air, delivery of a CRT SS 9900 impending.
But I'm interested to know why you paid top dollar for a handheld ?
Your account says your in Ireland so I'm interested in whatever locations and contacts are happening, as a soon, new to be radio user.
Cheers.
Nige.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: President Randy 3 Handheld Transceiver    president - President Randy 3 Handheld Transceiver  Icon_minitimeTue May 03, 2022 2:53 am

Hi Nige.
I head for high ground over looking Strangford lough and other times Belfast lough. Most contacts are with Truckers, farmers, the odd mobile and residential station. Been using Midland Alan 42 with 52" tele whip and i can't complain but just looking that little bit extra in range, clarity and power source, and the Randy 3
 ticks all the boxes.

Cheers 

John
Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: President Randy 3 Handheld Transceiver    president - President Randy 3 Handheld Transceiver  Icon_minitimeTue May 03, 2022 6:50 am

Hi John,

I don't own one or have any experience of the Randy but it all looks good on paper.

If you've been getting good results with the Alan 42 I'd say you'll be more than happy with your new purchase. 

The usual mindset with most handheld transceivers is that they're rubbish or more crass descriptions in the same vein. Decades ago I had a Midland Portapack which was great for the old CB eyeball meets and a darn sight easier to carry on my motorcycle(!) But many were surprised at how well it could perform when sat on high ground and such sites are more accessible on a bike or on foot than car parking friendly.

I like the fact that it has an antenna connector so possible to hook up a different antenna when either out and about or even as a flexible home base setup. Something that will definitely give you more range than the standard 'rubber duck' affair that comes with it. You only have to look at what's possible with Amateur Radio SOTA, (summits on the air), activations to see what is achievable with what would be otherwise known as 'modest' equipment.

There does seem to be some online comments comparing it to a well know Chinese VHF/UHF handset and usually surrounding the price, but in all reality they're comparing apples and oranges for a totally different product/market share. So not all that helpful.

I like a good handy, what can be done with them and also admire those that enjoy such tech.

Be worth searching YouTube for the likes of "Ringway Manchester" and "Knoxieman" who review as well as advocate such radios.

I wish you good luck with it and most of all that you enjoy yourself using it.

All the best,
Victor

RadioWavez likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC

PostSubject: Re: President Randy 3 Handheld Transceiver    president - President Randy 3 Handheld Transceiver  Icon_minitimeTue May 03, 2022 12:43 pm

Hi Victor, 

Yeah really looking forward to getting my hands on it and having a good play around with it. As you say lots of options, on the move to high ground, mobile, and even a home base setup. A very versatile HT.

Cheers 

John
Back to top Go down
RadioWavez

Call Sign : 2-CT-210
Times Thanked : 7
QTH or Location : Lexington, Kentucky
Equipment Used : Alinco DX-SR8

PostSubject: Re: President Randy 3 Handheld Transceiver    president - President Randy 3 Handheld Transceiver  Icon_minitimeThu May 05, 2022 2:43 pm

This is a good video review of this cool hand held cb.

glenn dog and MM0NJS like this post

Back to top Go down
Bones
Bones

Call Sign : 68-CT-081
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Broughshane
Equipment Used : President McKinley, President Bill,CT6800V, Baofeng UV5R ,888S

PostSubject: Re: President Randy 3 Handheld Transceiver    president - President Randy 3 Handheld Transceiver  Icon_minitimeThu May 05, 2022 3:28 pm

Hi John
         Look on classifieds one of the members is flogging one,he may be able to give you some pointers on the unit,then get yourself up scrabo you should get a good distance up there.

73s
Bones
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: President Randy 3 Handheld Transceiver    president - President Randy 3 Handheld Transceiver  Icon_minitimeThu May 05, 2022 5:06 pm

Hi Bones,

Thanks for that, will do and that's a good vid on quick setup.Yeah that's the plan, Scrabo, Craigantlet, Castlereagh Hills an local  coastal areas when im fishin for tastey Mackerel, OH YES  Very Happy

Cheers Bones 

73s  John 
CT-082
Back to top Go down
Dave_P
Dave_P

Call Sign : 26-CT-9718
QTH or Location : Walsall
Equipment Used : Midland Quarantotto, FT-991A, IC-7400, TS200-X, IC-7100, IC705, FTM300, FT-817, IC-E92D, ID52E.

PostSubject: Re: President Randy 3 Handheld Transceiver    president - President Randy 3 Handheld Transceiver  Icon_minitimeSat May 07, 2022 12:08 am

I love the Randy 3, had mine for 12 months now.
And I use it whenever I'm not at home.
The standard rubber duck/whip antenna it's supplied with is ok considering its small size (about 8 inches), but almost any other antenna for it is better. 
When up on the hills I use an extra long (53cm) flexible rubber antenna which is much better.

MM0NJS likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/g7phn

PostSubject: Re: President Randy 3 Handheld Transceiver    president - President Randy 3 Handheld Transceiver  Icon_minitimeSat May 07, 2022 2:32 am

Hi Dave, 

Thanks for your reply. Yeah that seems to be the norm when buying a handheld, is to upgrade to a better antenna. Received my Randy 3 yesterday, very pleased indeed. I put the RD on that came with it, went out to garden, switched on and it was in EU mode and receiving European stations on AM + FM.
Switched to UK mode and it still manages to pick up a few stations. I live near the coast so i reckon that helps to, anyway went indoors and the signals just faded as expected. Any recommendations Dave on a good quality rubber duck whip ?

73s  John
Back to top Go down
Dave_P
Dave_P

Call Sign : 26-CT-9718
QTH or Location : Walsall
Equipment Used : Midland Quarantotto, FT-991A, IC-7400, TS200-X, IC-7100, IC705, FTM300, FT-817, IC-E92D, ID52E.

PostSubject: Re: President Randy 3 Handheld Transceiver    president - President Randy 3 Handheld Transceiver  Icon_minitimeSat May 07, 2022 10:21 am

I got mine from Knights.

Here's the page: Knights Antenna's the folding tactical one on top is quite good as my mate has that one, but I use the 7th one down "Extra Long Rubber-Duck (TNC)".

MM0NJS likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/g7phn

PostSubject: Re: President Randy 3 Handheld Transceiver    president - President Randy 3 Handheld Transceiver  Icon_minitimeSat May 07, 2022 11:27 am

Hi Dave,

Thanks for that, will check them out.

Cheers 

John.
Back to top Go down
Johnboy23

Call Sign : 68-CT-083
QTH or Location : Ballymena Area
Equipment Used : CB Thunderpole T800 & Sirio ML145

PostSubject: Re: President Randy 3 Handheld Transceiver    president - President Randy 3 Handheld Transceiver  Icon_minitimeMon May 09, 2022 7:07 am

whip52 wrote:
Hi Dave,

Thanks for that, will check them out.

Cheers 

John.
Hi John, 

Ia there much CB activity down your way, I'm thinking about CB but not sure about activity qround the Ballymena area? 

Cheers,  John C
Back to top Go down
Bones
Bones

PostSubject: Re: President Randy 3 Handheld Transceiver    president - President Randy 3 Handheld Transceiver  Icon_minitimeMon May 09, 2022 2:15 pm

Hi Dave
Ive just got back into cb radio since the 80s and im in the ballymena area theres a bit of normal fm/am chatter but most seems to be on the sideband ,if you do decide to get back into it go to the wee watch shop in town Rab there is very helpful and can advise you on which set to buy also very good after sales advice and you can drop him a line for help and he will get back to you as I did yesterday.
73s
Bones
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: President Randy 3 Handheld Transceiver    president - President Randy 3 Handheld Transceiver  Icon_minitimeMon May 09, 2022 7:13 pm

Hi John 

My usual contacts are with truckers and farmers when out and about especially on high ground. Some days good and some not so good. But on the RX side of it there are lots of UK and European stations to be heard.

Cheers 

John.
Back to top Go down
Johnboy23

PostSubject: Re: President Randy 3 Handheld Transceiver    president - President Randy 3 Handheld Transceiver  Icon_minitimeMon May 09, 2022 9:25 pm

Many thanks for your feedback really appreciate that.

Bones likes this post

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: President Randy 3 Handheld Transceiver    president - President Randy 3 Handheld Transceiver  Icon_minitimeMon May 09, 2022 10:25 pm

Hi John, 

My pleasure, great to see a new member from Norn Iron.

73s 

John.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: President Randy 3 Handheld Transceiver    president - President Randy 3 Handheld Transceiver  Icon_minitimeSat Jun 04, 2022 8:48 am

Hi group

Randy 3 converted to export an works a treat,  25.6150 - 28.3050 + alpha CHs

Happy days 

John 

73s
Back to top Go down
BASS 666

QTH or Location : belfast
Equipment Used : none yet

PostSubject: Re: President Randy 3 Handheld Transceiver    president - President Randy 3 Handheld Transceiver  Icon_minitimeSat Jun 04, 2022 12:03 pm

Bones wrote:
Hi Dave
          Ive just got back into cb radio since the 80s and im in the ballymena area theres a bit of normal fm/am chatter but most seems to be on the sideband ,if you do decide to get back into it go to the wee watch shop in town Rab there is very helpful and can advise you on which set to buy also very good after sales advice and you can drop him a line for help and he will get back to you as I did yesterday.
73s
Bones
was talking to a guy from your town the other night his name was Sam ... he was right a the bottom of the box but we talked so it looks like i can get through to your gaff ..
Back to top Go down
Bones
Bones

PostSubject: Re: President Randy 3 Handheld Transceiver    president - President Randy 3 Handheld Transceiver  Icon_minitimeSat Jun 04, 2022 4:44 pm

Happy days will try a get you sometimem not been on in a while will fire it up tomorrow if i can
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: President Randy 3 Handheld Transceiver    president - President Randy 3 Handheld Transceiver  Icon_minitimeSat Jun 04, 2022 9:51 pm

Thanks mate no problem 

73s John
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: President Randy 3 Handheld Transceiver    president - President Randy 3 Handheld Transceiver  Icon_minitimeSat Jun 04, 2022 10:09 pm

Keep ur lit there Bones 
73s John
Back to top Go down
Johnboy23

PostSubject: Re: President Randy 3 Handheld Transceiver    president - President Randy 3 Handheld Transceiver  Icon_minitimeSun Jun 05, 2022 10:10 am

whip52 wrote:
Hi group

Happy days 

John 

73s
What exactly do you mean by this, excuse the silly questions from the new boy!!😉
Back to top Go down
Wireless
Major contributor
Major contributor

Times Thanked : 12
QTH or Location : Shrewsbury
Equipment Used : kit

PostSubject: Re: President Randy 3 Handheld Transceiver    president - President Randy 3 Handheld Transceiver  Icon_minitimeSun Jun 05, 2022 11:24 am

Johnboy23 wrote:
whip52 wrote:
Hi group

Happy days 

John 

73s
What exactly do you mean by this, excuse the silly questions from the new boy!!😉

He's either reprogrammed it via a computer, or changed a component, to allow it to TRX on its full coverage between 25.6150 to 28.3050 + the other stuff.

Bones and Johnboy23 like this post

Back to top Go down
Johnboy23

PostSubject: Re: President Randy 3 Handheld Transceiver    president - President Randy 3 Handheld Transceiver  Icon_minitimeSun Jun 05, 2022 11:27 am

Ahhh,many thanks for the reply.

Bones likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: President Randy 3 Handheld Transceiver    president - President Randy 3 Handheld Transceiver  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

President Randy 3 Handheld Transceiver
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next