Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQSearchRegisterLog in

11m Winter Challenge, 1st December - 31st March. Details in DX Lounge. Join us now..........
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Greetings from Austria & *Callsign request* (Issued)
11mtr Radio Shack antenna recommendations  Icon_minitimeToday at 6:38 pm by 35CT016

» Baofeng BF-T1 Antenna Mod
11mtr Radio Shack antenna recommendations  Icon_minitimeToday at 5:44 pm by Victor

» Is this discrimination
11mtr Radio Shack antenna recommendations  Icon_minitimeToday at 4:37 pm by Sharpshooter

» 11m winter challenge
11mtr Radio Shack antenna recommendations  Icon_minitimeToday at 4:35 pm by Sharpshooter

» 11m conditions
11mtr Radio Shack antenna recommendations  Icon_minitimeToday at 2:39 pm by stephen Gunrunner

» Wanted: Scrapper Tristar 747
11mtr Radio Shack antenna recommendations  Icon_minitimeToday at 2:38 pm by BarneyBear65

» Galaxy ssb radios
11mtr Radio Shack antenna recommendations  Icon_minitimeToday at 2:27 pm by skyrider

»  41 Years Of Legal UK CB Radio 02/11/2022
11mtr Radio Shack antenna recommendations  Icon_minitimeToday at 2:23 pm by stephen Gunrunner

» New station
11mtr Radio Shack antenna recommendations  Icon_minitimeToday at 12:25 pm by Dxhunter

Keywords
midland anytone Mckinley Calling antenna 6900 ALINCO lincoln Mobile 9900 2022 call list yaesu ss9900 Sirio Baofeng chart display callsign sign frequency SS6900 president radio power
QRZ Database

11mtr Radio Shack antenna recommendations

Go down 
+2
Bean
Andy2490
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Andy2490
Andy2490

Call Sign : 108-CT-345
Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : Newcastleton
Equipment Used : Bearcat 980/ TTI 881

11mtr Radio Shack antenna recommendations  Empty
PostSubject: 11mtr Radio Shack antenna recommendations    11mtr Radio Shack antenna recommendations  Icon_minitimeSat Jul 02, 2022 12:12 pm

Guys could do with some recommendations for a 11 Mtr antenna for my home set up, I'm approximately about 400 ft asl but located in a valley about 20 k from Carlisle. I'm really wanting it for DX and need something with good ears, I gues the base of the antenna is going to be about 15 ft from ground level. I've no real obstructions close by, I was looking at the Antron 99 maybe. I've had good reports when mobile in my area but that's getting up onto the valley sides, I guess if the base antenna doesn't work that well due to location I could take it on the road and use it as a static mobile set up.
Cheers Andy

Tristar likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bean
Major contributor
Major contributor

Times Thanked : 6

PostSubject: Re: 11mtr Radio Shack antenna recommendations    11mtr Radio Shack antenna recommendations  Icon_minitimeSat Jul 02, 2022 4:42 pm

Go to the HeyWhatsThat site and do a profile for your location , theres a lot of b@ll@cks out there about antennas in valley's remember if your set on DX and a vertical antenna the tip height is key, a quarter wave with the same tip height as a half wave or five eighths wave will give the same sort of gain at the most common low take off angles. I,m in a valley and for the most part nothing without some refraction (knife edge ?) gets in below 3* and upto 5* in some directions but even with a low mounted 3 element LFA I can work the odd bit of DX Very Happy

glenn dog, Victor and SangueG like this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 Ham M7VIC
Times Thanked : 225
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: 11mtr Radio Shack antenna recommendations    11mtr Radio Shack antenna recommendations  Icon_minitimeSat Jul 02, 2022 5:00 pm

Hi Andy,

Nothing opens the proverbial can of worms and causes more contention than asking other radio operators about antennas! Very Happy

If it helps any.......

A little report on opening up or dissecting an Antron 99 :-

http://www.radiomanual.info/schemi/ACC_antenna/Solarcon_A-99_review.pdf

That may give you some idea about the utter nonsense 'marketed' for apparent gain figures too!

A simple entry for the use of a half wave antenna at CB frequencies :-

"http://www.dx-antennas.com/Half wave vertical.htm"

(You'll have to cut and paste the link between the quotes due to the stupid use of white spaces in the original HTML address.)

In all reality it's totally up to you, just simply buy what you like or can afford.

If I was in the market for a homebase CB antenna, (although I have looked at extending my 10m repertoire Wink ), I'd be plumping for a typical cheap 1/2 wave and work with it. Your mobile setup will probably beat it hands down especially atop the valleys for DX work but you can't be out in the car all the time. Sometimes it's just nice to be sat at home, flick that power switch and catch any skip as well as often elusive DX stations when and if you can.

The most fun that can often be had is turning on your radio whenever you can and simply enjoying what you get with what you have.

Unless of course you can build/erect (on an appropriate site) a dirty big Quad antenna monster such as seen on these 'hallowed' CT pages!

All the best,
Victor

glenn dog, Cozzmik, Tristar and SangueG like this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

Call Sign : 26-CT-3971 / M7TDV
Times Thanked : 36
QTH or Location : Cirencester, Gloucestershire
Equipment Used : Little radios, home-made antennas

PostSubject: Re: 11mtr Radio Shack antenna recommendations    11mtr Radio Shack antenna recommendations  Icon_minitimeSat Jul 02, 2022 7:32 pm

Bean wrote:
Go to the HeyWhatsThat site and do a profile for your location

Useful site. Better than THIS one I have been using to scout out high open areas.

Andy, depending on your definition of DX.. if the skip's running good you'll probably get some decent distance contacts on almost anything you get up. A friend had some amazing contacts on a cheap 1/2 wave vertical from the lowest part of our town back in the day, including Australia.

Tristar likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile https://station-master.online/M7TDV
Northern Crusader
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : M0GVZ / 26CT1760
Times Thanked : 32
QTH or Location : IO94SA
Equipment Used : Icom 7300, TS480, President McKinley, Albrecht AE6110, CRT Mike

PostSubject: Re: 11mtr Radio Shack antenna recommendations    11mtr Radio Shack antenna recommendations  Icon_minitimeSat Jul 02, 2022 11:30 pm

Dipole set up as in inverted V for DX. Run it North/South.

Tristar likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cozzmik
10 + Year member
10 +  Year  member
Cozzmik

Call Sign : 26-CT-465/OP-465/FB-012
Times Thanked : 5
QTH or Location : Kent
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT450D/Kenwood TS570DG/3 ele Yagi/Vector 4000

PostSubject: Re: 11mtr Radio Shack antenna recommendations    11mtr Radio Shack antenna recommendations  Icon_minitimeSun Jul 03, 2022 9:53 am

Victor wrote:
Hi Andy,

Nothing opens the proverbial can of worms and causes more contention than asking other radio operators about antennas!

All the best,
Victor

Had to laugh at this Victor...

Over the years i have modified/built/bought many antennas and given my very limited knowledge on them to members here only to be shot down by a certain someone who while knowledgable cannot see the many variables or experiences i or others may have.

For sometime it has been easier to keep away from antenna subjects rather than get into a debate..

Hope the op finds a decent antenna to suit his needs..

73 Sam

Victor, Alan Pilot and Tristar like this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Andy2490
Andy2490

PostSubject: Re: 11mtr Radio Shack antenna recommendations    11mtr Radio Shack antenna recommendations  Icon_minitimeSun Jul 31, 2022 3:16 pm

Many Thanks, I was going to start a new thread titled what a difference a day makes.
So I decided to go for a 5/8 silver rod, fairly cheap option as I didn't want to go all in and spend a fortune on something I doubted would work anyway due to my location. Anyway got the 5/8 up, not really as high as I wanted but was restricted due to the wife lol, ok been sat on the radio most of yesterday with plenty of good chatter coming in on the 27.555. Tried all day to get a contact and nothing, by the end of yesterday I was pretty well fed up and thought about ripping it down and going static mobile with it. Ok 12 hrs later I jumped back full of hope and bingo, second call I got out to North East Germany and had a good chat with a guy called Ben, later on got a good UK contact with caravan man in Southampton, and a few various others across the day. Yep the skip was good but what a good feeling to be able to get out on the net without getting in the car.

Victor and SangueG like this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 Ham M7VIC
Times Thanked : 225
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: 11mtr Radio Shack antenna recommendations    11mtr Radio Shack antenna recommendations  Icon_minitimeSun Jul 31, 2022 3:46 pm

Nice one Andy. 11mtr Radio Shack antenna recommendations  1f44d

Glad you've been able to get some good contacts with your choice of antenna. A little bit of 'skip' happily provided by Mother Nature can make all the difference. Smile

Worth noting that often when you hear Italian chatter on the triple five they're pointing beams towards us, (in the hope of hitting the USA), and often pumping hundreds of Watts if not kiloWatts! Unless you're doing the same in their direction in less than favourable skip conditions you won't have much luck. Whereas a good bit of propagation can see you bagging great DX with nothing more than a wet piece of string and a few Watts. Wink

Genuinely pleased that it's all worked out for you and you're enjoying your radio. Keep hold of the good feelings when you have otherwise poor radio days to keep your spirits up. Mother Nature can be a fickle cow!

Well done.

All the best,
Victor

SangueG likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Andy2490
Andy2490

PostSubject: Re: 11mtr Radio Shack antenna recommendations    11mtr Radio Shack antenna recommendations  Icon_minitimeSun Jul 31, 2022 3:59 pm

Many Thanks Victor. Good advice, because I know there will be more bad days than good. But hey ho that's how it goes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 11mtr Radio Shack antenna recommendations    11mtr Radio Shack antenna recommendations  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

11mtr Radio Shack antenna recommendations
Page 1 of 1