Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Antenna Advice.....?
antenna - 11mtr Radio Shack antenna recommendations  Icon_minitimeToday at 5:12 am by Victor

» First dx in 40 plus years
antenna - 11mtr Radio Shack antenna recommendations  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:36 pm by John123

» 10m dxcc ......
antenna - 11mtr Radio Shack antenna recommendations  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:40 am by peewee norfolk

» Multimode mobile antenna
antenna - 11mtr Radio Shack antenna recommendations  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:36 am by peewee norfolk

» New member call sign request (Issued)
antenna - 11mtr Radio Shack antenna recommendations  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 5:03 am by Victor

» New call sign request (Issued)
antenna - 11mtr Radio Shack antenna recommendations  Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2024 10:19 pm by John123

» Call Sign Request (Issued)
antenna - 11mtr Radio Shack antenna recommendations  Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2024 6:37 pm by Jimnic333

» had a change around
antenna - 11mtr Radio Shack antenna recommendations  Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2024 6:22 am by SangueG

» Back Again (Returning Member)
antenna - 11mtr Radio Shack antenna recommendations  Icon_minitimeMon Mar 25, 2024 8:34 pm by John123

Keywords
anytone president chart Baofeng 6900 2022 callsign display 2023 ALINCO software meter Sirio 9900 frequency Mckinley list call lincoln ss9900 Mobile power supply yaesu antenna sign
QRZ Database

11mtr Radio Shack antenna recommendations

Go down 
+6
Cozzmik
Northern Crusader
SangueG
Victor
Bean
Andy2490
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Andy2490
Andy2490

Call Sign : 108-CT-345
Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : Newcastleton
Equipment Used : Bearcat 980/ TTI 881

antenna - 11mtr Radio Shack antenna recommendations  Empty
PostSubject: 11mtr Radio Shack antenna recommendations    antenna - 11mtr Radio Shack antenna recommendations  Icon_minitimeSat Jul 02, 2022 12:12 pm

Guys could do with some recommendations for a 11 Mtr antenna for my home set up, I'm approximately about 400 ft asl but located in a valley about 20 k from Carlisle. I'm really wanting it for DX and need something with good ears, I gues the base of the antenna is going to be about 15 ft from ground level. I've no real obstructions close by, I was looking at the Antron 99 maybe. I've had good reports when mobile in my area but that's getting up onto the valley sides, I guess if the base antenna doesn't work that well due to location I could take it on the road and use it as a static mobile set up.
Cheers Andy

glenn dog and Tristar like this post

Back to top Go down
Bean
Major contributor
Major contributor

Times Thanked : 6

PostSubject: Re: 11mtr Radio Shack antenna recommendations    antenna - 11mtr Radio Shack antenna recommendations  Icon_minitimeSat Jul 02, 2022 4:42 pm

Go to the HeyWhatsThat site and do a profile for your location , theres a lot of b@ll@cks out there about antennas in valley's remember if your set on DX and a vertical antenna the tip height is key, a quarter wave with the same tip height as a half wave or five eighths wave will give the same sort of gain at the most common low take off angles. I,m in a valley and for the most part nothing without some refraction (knife edge ?) gets in below 3* and upto 5* in some directions but even with a low mounted 3 element LFA I can work the odd bit of DX Very Happy

glenn dog, Victor and SangueG like this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: 11mtr Radio Shack antenna recommendations    antenna - 11mtr Radio Shack antenna recommendations  Icon_minitimeSat Jul 02, 2022 5:00 pm

Hi Andy,

Nothing opens the proverbial can of worms and causes more contention than asking other radio operators about antennas! Very Happy

If it helps any.......

A little report on opening up or dissecting an Antron 99 :-

http://www.radiomanual.info/schemi/ACC_antenna/Solarcon_A-99_review.pdf

That may give you some idea about the utter nonsense 'marketed' for apparent gain figures too!

A simple entry for the use of a half wave antenna at CB frequencies :-

"http://www.dx-antennas.com/Half wave vertical.htm"

(You'll have to cut and paste the link between the quotes due to the stupid use of white spaces in the original HTML address.)

In all reality it's totally up to you, just simply buy what you like or can afford.

If I was in the market for a homebase CB antenna, (although I have looked at extending my 10m repertoire Wink ), I'd be plumping for a typical cheap 1/2 wave and work with it. Your mobile setup will probably beat it hands down especially atop the valleys for DX work but you can't be out in the car all the time. Sometimes it's just nice to be sat at home, flick that power switch and catch any skip as well as often elusive DX stations when and if you can.

The most fun that can often be had is turning on your radio whenever you can and simply enjoying what you get with what you have.

Unless of course you can build/erect (on an appropriate site) a dirty big Quad antenna monster such as seen on these 'hallowed' CT pages!

All the best,
Victor

glenn dog, Cozzmik, Tristar, SangueG and Howard like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

Call Sign : 26-CT-3971 / 2E0LMI
Times Thanked : 68
QTH or Location : Cirencester, Gloucestershire
Equipment Used : Little radios, home-made antennas

PostSubject: Re: 11mtr Radio Shack antenna recommendations    antenna - 11mtr Radio Shack antenna recommendations  Icon_minitimeSat Jul 02, 2022 7:32 pm

Bean wrote:
Go to the HeyWhatsThat site and do a profile for your location

Useful site. Better than THIS one I have been using to scout out high open areas.

Andy, depending on your definition of DX.. if the skip's running good you'll probably get some decent distance contacts on almost anything you get up. A friend had some amazing contacts on a cheap 1/2 wave vertical from the lowest part of our town back in the day, including Australia.

Tristar likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://station-master.online/2E0LMI
Northern Crusader
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : M0GVZ / 26CT1760
Times Thanked : 35
QTH or Location : IO94SA
Equipment Used : Icom 7300, TS480, President McKinley, Albrecht AE6110, CRT Mike

PostSubject: Re: 11mtr Radio Shack antenna recommendations    antenna - 11mtr Radio Shack antenna recommendations  Icon_minitimeSat Jul 02, 2022 11:30 pm

Dipole set up as in inverted V for DX. Run it North/South.

Tristar likes this post

Back to top Go down
Cozzmik
10 + Year member
10 +  Year  member
Cozzmik

Call Sign : 26-CT-465/OP-465/FB-012
Times Thanked : 8
QTH or Location : Kent
Equipment Used : Kenwood ts570dg/Yaesu ft450d/Rm-kl400/Sirio 4000

PostSubject: Re: 11mtr Radio Shack antenna recommendations    antenna - 11mtr Radio Shack antenna recommendations  Icon_minitimeSun Jul 03, 2022 9:53 am

Victor wrote:
Hi Andy,

Nothing opens the proverbial can of worms and causes more contention than asking other radio operators about antennas!

All the best,
Victor

Had to laugh at this Victor...

Over the years i have modified/built/bought many antennas and given my very limited knowledge on them to members here only to be shot down by a certain someone who while knowledgable cannot see the many variables or experiences i or others may have.

For sometime it has been easier to keep away from antenna subjects rather than get into a debate..

Hope the op finds a decent antenna to suit his needs..

73 Sam

Victor, Alan Pilot and Tristar like this post

Back to top Go down
Andy2490
Andy2490

PostSubject: Re: 11mtr Radio Shack antenna recommendations    antenna - 11mtr Radio Shack antenna recommendations  Icon_minitimeSun Jul 31, 2022 3:16 pm

Many Thanks, I was going to start a new thread titled what a difference a day makes.
So I decided to go for a 5/8 silver rod, fairly cheap option as I didn't want to go all in and spend a fortune on something I doubted would work anyway due to my location. Anyway got the 5/8 up, not really as high as I wanted but was restricted due to the wife lol, ok been sat on the radio most of yesterday with plenty of good chatter coming in on the 27.555. Tried all day to get a contact and nothing, by the end of yesterday I was pretty well fed up and thought about ripping it down and going static mobile with it. Ok 12 hrs later I jumped back full of hope and bingo, second call I got out to North East Germany and had a good chat with a guy called Ben, later on got a good UK contact with caravan man in Southampton, and a few various others across the day. Yep the skip was good but what a good feeling to be able to get out on the net without getting in the car.

Victor, SangueG and Red Rooster LN-4614 like this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: 11mtr Radio Shack antenna recommendations    antenna - 11mtr Radio Shack antenna recommendations  Icon_minitimeSun Jul 31, 2022 3:46 pm

Nice one Andy. antenna - 11mtr Radio Shack antenna recommendations  1f44d

Glad you've been able to get some good contacts with your choice of antenna. A little bit of 'skip' happily provided by Mother Nature can make all the difference. Smile

Worth noting that often when you hear Italian chatter on the triple five they're pointing beams towards us, (in the hope of hitting the USA), and often pumping hundreds of Watts if not kiloWatts! Unless you're doing the same in their direction in less than favourable skip conditions you won't have much luck. Whereas a good bit of propagation can see you bagging great DX with nothing more than a wet piece of string and a few Watts. Wink

Genuinely pleased that it's all worked out for you and you're enjoying your radio. Keep hold of the good feelings when you have otherwise poor radio days to keep your spirits up. Mother Nature can be a fickle cow!

Well done.

All the best,
Victor

SangueG and Red Rooster LN-4614 like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Andy2490
Andy2490

PostSubject: Re: 11mtr Radio Shack antenna recommendations    antenna - 11mtr Radio Shack antenna recommendations  Icon_minitimeSun Jul 31, 2022 3:59 pm

Many Thanks Victor. Good advice, because I know there will be more bad days than good. But hey ho that's how it goes.
Back to top Go down
Howard
Contributor
Contributor

Call Sign : 26-CT-4319
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Aylesbury
Equipment Used : Ic7300

PostSubject: Re: 11mtr Radio Shack antenna recommendations    antenna - 11mtr Radio Shack antenna recommendations  Icon_minitimeSat Oct 08, 2022 11:36 pm

Yes well done Andy on getting out with the new antenna it's bloody frustrating sometimes knowing youve got all this gear and no bugger can here you or so you think lol.
Anyway keep trying as the solar cycle will get better and better and your be amazed how far your get on just radio power 
73 s

Red Rooster LN-4614 likes this post

Back to top Go down
chazwozza
Senior contributor
Senior contributor

QTH or Location : England
Equipment Used : Radios

PostSubject: Re: 11mtr Radio Shack antenna recommendations    antenna - 11mtr Radio Shack antenna recommendations  Icon_minitimeSun Oct 09, 2022 9:21 am

https://www.bigsignal.es/en/antennas/big-signal-4bs-11-10.html
Back to top Go down
skyrider
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : 26-CT-4654
Times Thanked : 2
QTH or Location : Preston, Lancs.
Equipment Used : UNIDEN 100, midland alan 78 plus multi + mag mount , silver rod

PostSubject: Re: 11mtr Radio Shack antenna recommendations    antenna - 11mtr Radio Shack antenna recommendations  Icon_minitimeFri Oct 14, 2022 9:24 pm

Hi are dipole antennas ok or are other antennas better  scratch
Back to top Go down
Howard
Contributor
Contributor

PostSubject: Re: 11mtr Radio Shack antenna recommendations    antenna - 11mtr Radio Shack antenna recommendations  Icon_minitimeFri Oct 14, 2022 10:44 pm

All antennas perform differently but yes dipoles are good to some extent depending the height of them and where there located.a wire dipole like most verticals can perform really well for example the G5RV if you've heard of them.i use 1 on the HF bands and they work very well even in a loft. Now I use a vertical 5/8 wave sirio 2016 works really well.as they say mate height is mite and it also depends which bands your going to use the antenna on.
Back to top Go down
skyrider
Major contributor
Major contributor

Equipment Used : UNIDEN 100, midland alan 78 plus multi + mag mount , silver rod

PostSubject: Re: 11mtr Radio Shack antenna recommendations    antenna - 11mtr Radio Shack antenna recommendations  Icon_minitimeSat Oct 15, 2022 1:50 am

are they any good if they are horizontal as i was thinking of laying one across the gutter mounts on the house again im just thinking of ideas about ants anything to get away from the mag mount , plus what sizes of rod dipoles are there apart from the wire ones, ps the gutter mounts are plastic  thanks Howard  Smile
Back to top Go down
GaryWilson
CT Directors
CT Directors
GaryWilson

Call Sign : 26-CT-1836 Ham 2E0GGQ
Times Thanked : 344
QTH or Location : Redcar, North Yorkshire.
Equipment Used : Radios & Wires & Stuff!

PostSubject: Re: 11mtr Radio Shack antenna recommendations    antenna - 11mtr Radio Shack antenna recommendations  Icon_minitimeSat Oct 15, 2022 7:41 am

Hi Howard,

A horizontal dipole will be poor for local contacts due to cross polarization but very good for skip albeit directional.

73's Gary.
Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/2E0GGQ
Howard
Contributor
Contributor

PostSubject: Re: 11mtr Radio Shack antenna recommendations    antenna - 11mtr Radio Shack antenna recommendations  Icon_minitimeSat Oct 15, 2022 8:59 am

Hi Gary
Yes I know but on a vertical can work well aswell as I can vouch for that myself as I work both antennas on HF and 11m. My working conditions Aren't helped by local power lines near me and RF noise from electronic devices.

GaryWilson likes this post

Back to top Go down
Howard
Contributor
Contributor

PostSubject: Re: 11mtr Radio Shack antenna recommendations    antenna - 11mtr Radio Shack antenna recommendations  Icon_minitimeSat Oct 15, 2022 9:09 am

Hi Skyrider
Well  dipoles as said work ok but if working on CB bands etc your need a half decent halfwave or 5/8 depending on your space and not to upset the the locals lol.dipoles I've had in the past were vertical to be honest worked well back in 1981 when I first came on to FM back then BUT then there wasn't the noise we get now mobile devices pcs etc.
I run a sirio antenna and if I'm honest are prob the best makers of CB antenna in my opinion.if you want to be discrete you could always try the signal keeper from sirio which I've used in the past works ok but TBO are ok on local stuff.
Just a question do you have any trees near you ? .

Last edited by Howard on Sat Oct 15, 2022 9:15 am; edited 1 time in total

skyrider likes this post

Back to top Go down
Howard
Contributor
Contributor

PostSubject: Re: 11mtr Radio Shack antenna recommendations    antenna - 11mtr Radio Shack antenna recommendations  Icon_minitimeSat Oct 15, 2022 9:14 am

Oh forgot to say dipoles are normally 18ft centre fed with no gain or very little try Moonraker website there very good and reasonably priced or you could ring them there very helpful.
73s .
Back to top Go down
skyrider
Major contributor
Major contributor

PostSubject: Re: 11mtr Radio Shack antenna recommendations    antenna - 11mtr Radio Shack antenna recommendations  Icon_minitimeSat Oct 15, 2022 8:03 pm

Thanks Howard i will have a look , i now have a president mc kinley so i now need a decent ant to go with it cant keep going with the mag mount
Back to top Go down
Howard
Contributor
Contributor

PostSubject: Re: 11mtr Radio Shack antenna recommendations    antenna - 11mtr Radio Shack antenna recommendations  Icon_minitimeSat Oct 15, 2022 8:14 pm

Mag mount oh dear lol. What par t of the country you live in ? Our CB channels here our dead most of the time about a handful left of us which is a real shame as I thought when lockdown was about some might of returned which some did but went straight onto the 2m band etc and to be honest is a bit boring and to regimental always having to use your callsign snore snore lol.
Get a mate to help you out with your antenna when you get 1 and your see the difference straight away .
73s
Back to top Go down
skyrider
Major contributor
Major contributor

PostSubject: Re: 11mtr Radio Shack antenna recommendations    antenna - 11mtr Radio Shack antenna recommendations  Icon_minitimeSat Oct 15, 2022 8:42 pm

yes im in preston lancs , just turned the president on and it seems busy so good news a bit like the old days back then i used to have an electronica special which seemed a good antenna so i might go for another vertical alloy one, forgot to say i do have one tree very close by its the one im going to fasten the ant to  Laughing a change of plan with a dipole and having it horizontal
Back to top Go down
Howard
Contributor
Contributor

PostSubject: Re: 11mtr Radio Shack antenna recommendations    antenna - 11mtr Radio Shack antenna recommendations  Icon_minitimeSat Oct 15, 2022 9:00 pm

Lol I was just going to say about putting the antenna in the tree lol. Anyway good luck with that I wish my area was busy on the radio we had such a good laugh back then .

skyrider likes this post

Back to top Go down
skyrider
Major contributor
Major contributor

PostSubject: Re: 11mtr Radio Shack antenna recommendations    antenna - 11mtr Radio Shack antenna recommendations  Icon_minitimeSat Oct 15, 2022 9:13 pm

yes i hope it stays like this it would be great over the winter time staying in and warm with the rig
Back to top Go down
GaryWilson
CT Directors
CT Directors
GaryWilson

Call Sign : 26-CT-1836 Ham 2E0GGQ
Times Thanked : 344
QTH or Location : Redcar, North Yorkshire.
Equipment Used : Radios & Wires & Stuff!

PostSubject: Re: 11mtr Radio Shack antenna recommendations    antenna - 11mtr Radio Shack antenna recommendations  Icon_minitimeSat Oct 15, 2022 9:22 pm

Howard wrote:
Hi Gary
Yes I know but on a vertical can work well aswell as I can vouch for that myself as I work both antennas on HF and 11m. My working conditions Aren't helped by local power lines near me and RF noise from electronic devices.
Hi Howard,

Sorry bud I was addressing Lionel's question, about using a dipole in a horizontal position. I put your name by mistake.

73's Gary.
Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/2E0GGQ
Howard
Contributor
Contributor

PostSubject: Re: 11mtr Radio Shack antenna recommendations    antenna - 11mtr Radio Shack antenna recommendations  Icon_minitimeSat Oct 15, 2022 10:06 pm

No worries 👍

GaryWilson likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 11mtr Radio Shack antenna recommendations    antenna - 11mtr Radio Shack antenna recommendations  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

11mtr Radio Shack antenna recommendations
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next