Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
Zetagi B300P. A little help please.  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:23 pm by Mr T

» gre 225 radio scanner
Zetagi B300P. A little help please.  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:10 pm by rabbi

» crt ss 9900
Zetagi B300P. A little help please.  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 9:21 pm by John123

» Διακριτικό κλήσεις ct (Issued)
Zetagi B300P. A little help please.  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 2:38 pm by Vasilis

» CT call sign (Issued)
Zetagi B300P. A little help please.  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 1:25 am by Mike90

» Alinco DX-10 DAT file
Zetagi B300P. A little help please.  Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2024 9:30 pm by Alberto Rugarli

Zetagi B300P. A little help please.  Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2024 8:43 pm by stealth 57

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
Zetagi B300P. A little help please.  Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2024 8:13 pm by VanRougeT4

» Probably only ever buy 1/2 waves for 10m and 11m
Zetagi B300P. A little help please.  Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2024 1:39 pm by FreqFreak

Keywords
power sign ss9900 meter 9900 Mobile antenna lincoln Baofeng president supply anytone 2023 display call frequency software chart 6900 yaesu callsign 2022 Sirio ALINCO Mckinley list
QRZ Database

Zetagi B300P. A little help please.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Dogfish
Dogfish

Call Sign : CT2379
Times Thanked : 3
QTH or Location : Surrey Hills
Equipment Used : Grant 2 + Tankwhip mobile with Sirio Gainmaster 5/8ths homebased

Zetagi B300P. A little help please.  Empty
PostSubject: Zetagi B300P. A little help please.    Zetagi B300P. A little help please.  Icon_minitimeSat Nov 23, 2019 11:12 pm

I just got one of these Zetagi B300p amps.

After a couple of days use attached to my expanded Grant 2, Sirio Gainmaster 5/8 and 30A PSU the Pre Amp seems to have stopped working. It seems to attenuate the signal when turned on. The unit also smells as if it's burning.
For the moment I have disconnected it, I don't want to damage it or my homebase.

Does anyone have any experience with this brand?
I was under the impression that Zetagi products were O.K.

Getting a little desperate!
Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Zetagi B300P. A little help please.    Zetagi B300P. A little help please.  Icon_minitimeSun Nov 24, 2019 7:44 am

Hi Simon,

Did you buy the Zetagi's new or second hand?

The reason for asking is, if new from a supplier then you have a recourse of action.
If second hand then you might as well have played eenie-miney with a line of hookers - you don't know who's had their dirty paws on it or what they've done to them! Wink

(Joking aside)

If you purchased new you can go back to the supplier and work with them. I know some will fob you off but most have a good reputation to keep and will do their best to help you. At best you'll get replacements, at worst they may charge you for repair, only some will stubbornly refuse to work with you.

If second hand then you obviously need some kind of service or repair.
Do you have appropriate equipment and skills to attempt a repair yourself? There's a tonne of information, (handy nowadays), on the internet with circuit diagrams etc.

Otherwise asking online for suggestions to repair is akin to closing your eyes and putting your fingers in your ears whilst stomping across a minefield.....if you're very lucky you might get across!

The usual fault with this type of equipment is people over driving them, however other faults can occur too.

To me it seems like the preamp transistor, (or transistors depending on design or version), has blown obvious by the preamp function appearing to fail. The "burning" smell would have me concerned that there's maybe something more at fault.

As for the Zetagi brand, they have manufactured and or branded equipment for years.
That's a bit like asking the "Nike/Reebok/etc." question, a personal preference if you will.
At this moment the brand doesn't seem all that good for you, but for others who have never had a problem with the brand will give it all thumbs up.

I'd say you did the best thing by simply disconnecting them and protecting your rig.

From here on in is up to you. Bin them, send them for repair, or attempt a self repair.

I feel for you, it's disheartening when a piece of equipment fails, but at least it wasn't your rig - that really sucks!

Best of luck,
Victor

It means nothing works and nobody knows why ...
Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
26TC62
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
26TC62

Call Sign : 26TC62, 26CT2817
Times Thanked : 29
QTH or Location : Portsmouth
Equipment Used : Yaesu 891, 10m pole, wire 5/8, T2LT

PostSubject: Re: Zetagi B300P. A little help please.    Zetagi B300P. A little help please.  Icon_minitimeSun Nov 24, 2019 8:36 am

Sounds as if the preamp side has got fried. If the TX/RX relay hasn't switched over and it's applied TX power to the preamp, that could be one cause of the problem. Assuming it's only cooked the preamp transistors (which are cheap enough) it's not a big repair for someone who knows what they are doing.
Back to top Go down
Dogfish
Dogfish

Equipment Used : Grant 2 + Tankwhip mobile with Sirio Gainmaster 5/8ths homebased

PostSubject: Re: Zetagi B300P. A little help please.    Zetagi B300P. A little help please.  Icon_minitimeSun Nov 24, 2019 10:19 am

Thanks 26CT62.
Sounds interesting.
Think I'll have to take it to the shop to get diagnosed.
I hope it's not because my Grant 2 is too powerful for it. Supposedly kicks out 20w on SSB which is the advertised input wattage for that amp.
Noticed it's got a slight rattle too.
Hey ho!
Won't be hilltopping with it this week. Sad
Back to top Go down
Dogfish
Dogfish

PostSubject: Re: Zetagi B300P. A little help please.    Zetagi B300P. A little help please.  Icon_minitimeSun Nov 24, 2019 10:24 am

Thanks Victor.
Some very sound advice.
I will work either the retailer every time.
I could take it apart and attempt the repair however im not great at that stuff. I can do the basics, soldering but that's it.
Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Zetagi B300P. A little help please.    Zetagi B300P. A little help please.  Icon_minitimeSun Nov 24, 2019 10:49 am

No worries Simon,

Hope you get the issue solved, right downer when radio kit goes down.

Also, congrats on knowing uncertainty of self repair.....CBers and Hams can be notorious "screwdriver experts"! Wink

All the best,
Victor

Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
Dogfish
Dogfish

PostSubject: Re: Zetagi B300P. A little help please.    Zetagi B300P. A little help please.  Icon_minitimeSun Nov 24, 2019 8:39 pm

Nice one Nubster. I don't seem to have a power reducing switch like some rigs so I must have been banging in the full 20w.
Complete Nube mistake and it's a self inflicted injury! Oowwcchhh. I'm going to ask the shop to either turn my power down some on the rig or fit a switch or get an attenuator separately if it exists so I can run it barefoot if hilltopping.

Embarrassed by my stupidity, but lesson learned.
Cheers.

Tristar likes this post

Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
Dogfish
Dogfish

PostSubject: Re: Zetagi B300P. A little help please.    Zetagi B300P. A little help please.  Icon_minitimeSat Nov 30, 2019 1:04 pm

Update.
Got the amp repaired, cost £35 which is more than reasonable I think and it came back with a spare transistor.
I went through my patch leads and found a dodgy one, repaired it and all fine now.
Thank you all for your help.

grizz123 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Zetagi B300P. A little help please.    Zetagi B300P. A little help please.  Icon_minitimeSat Nov 30, 2019 1:55 pm

Nice one Simon Very Happy

That was an awesomely good price for a repair too.

All the best to you mate,
Victor

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Zetagi B300P. A little help please.    Zetagi B300P. A little help please.  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Zetagi B300P. A little help please.
Page 1 of 1